What do you think of this comment? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 09-08-2006, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The problem with dismissing what a future OB has to say about breastfeeding (or any HCP for that matter) -- is that while some people are comfortable ignoring advice from their doctors, and researching and making their own decisions - there are a LOT of people who will take what the Doctor says as absolute truth.

So an OB who thinks women shouldn't bf beyond a year, may compromise many bf relationships.

*Is s/he going to be supportive to a mother who is dealing with mastitis at 6 months, or is s/he going to say, "Oh, you're halfway there, it's OK to stop."

*Is s/he going to tell a mom who finds herself pregnant while still bf her child (whether said child is 10 months or 22 months) "You must wean immediately, your milk has no value for the child anyway at this point."

*Is s/he going to tell the mother to wean when she comes in for her annual check-up (about a year after birth), with similar patronizing and inaccurate comments about the WHO recommendations?

There are lots of times when the OB is the one the breastfeeding mother is talking to. My OB has been *wonderful* about me breastfeeding, and really supportive. It probably wouldn't have changed my decisions anyway, but there's a lot to be said for having an OB say to a mother:

*Well, of course you're making enough milk. We'll get this figured out. Are you seeing an LC (who are you working with)?

*Still breastfeeding after a year? That's great.

*[After a miscarriage] - Make sure your dd keeps nursing, that will help.

*When I let him know I was back on my Elimination Diet in hopes we don't deal with allergies with this incoming arrival, says, "Great mom!" instead of urging me to ff instead.

*Most recently (yesterday's 37 week appointment): "Is baby going to live with you and dh, or in a crib?" (and when told "with us," responds with a big thumbs-up and "That's great, it's what works best." I loved the "live with us" comment. What a description!

He's definitely pro-bf and while he's not always 100% informed (he's not an LC, after all) -- I think for any clients who are planning on bf, he's really supportive. It's nice to be able to tell the IL's that the OB and the Ped both agree about a treatment course (whether it's mastitis or allergies or etc.). It's nice to know that they don't think I'm a wacko. And, I do think that for mothers who are less informed and less supported in their breastfeeding, it could make or break a bf relationship.

I guess my hope/thought is that if the OP is able to address this again with the resident in question, he may come 'round to being more informed, more accepting, and possibly in a few years - an actual bf supporter. It's worth a shot, I think.

Not all who wander are lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 09-08-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn

They're the World Health Organization, not the Third World HO...

What she said.
#33 of 36 Old 09-08-2006, 09:54 PM

Pretty new here. Usually reading. But on this I had to respond.

Just tell him, "Well, it's too bad your patients aren't even going to get third world health care from you." You may or may not want to add, "Loser." to the end of that sentence, but that's a matter of personal choice, IMHO. :

Any doctor who just talks out of his/her butt like that should just have their license yanked and should start practicing how to say, "Would you like fries with that?" with a smile on their face.

Good luck to you, having to work with him!

eva
#34 of 36 Old 09-08-2006, 10:24 PM

how about..
Oh I am sorry.. maybe you could point me to the literature from the North American Health Orgainzation that states otherwise..

or

Funny i thought the *W* in WHO stood for world..

or

maybe it should be 3rdWHO.

or

How many days did you study breastfeeding in med school?.. or were you too hung over to listen than 15 mins?

or

BITE me
#35 of 36 Old 09-09-2006, 12:39 AM

I like hawkfeather's suggestions!!
#36 of 36 Old 09-20-2006, 12:09 AM

Some third world countries have better breastfeeding rates than the U.S. One reason might be because in those countries they don't have "health care" professionals handing out free formula.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page