Need advice on being pregnant and BF - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2003, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is 8 1/2 months old and I am 2 months pregnant. I would like to continue BF at least until he is 12 months. I don't think I will be able to continue beyond that because I had problems with pre-term contractions with DS.

My problem is that I think my milk may be drying up. Or DS is going through a growth spurt. Either way I don't know how to handle it. It especially happens first thing in the morning. He will feed at 3 am and again at 5 am. From there he will want to eat continuously until 9 without going back to sleep. He gets very frustrated while eating (pulling off, sqwuaking, and thrashing around). However, if I give him a bottle he will suck down 6 ounces and go back to sleep for 2 or 3 hours. What should I do?

There are also times when I know he has sucked me dry and wants more. Should I give him a bottle or let him keep sucking even though he is frustrated and upset.

I don't want my milk to dry up. I want to keep up the supply so I am worried about supplementing but I also want to make sure the DS is getting enough to eat. He is not a big eater to begin with so I worry all the time anyways.

Also, I am having problems drinking enough liquid. Everything I drink before 8:00 PM gives me horrible acid reflux pain and nausea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2003, 02:55 AM

Try Motherlove's tincture More Milk Two at www.motherlove.com

You might also try ginger capsules for the heartburn and nausea. Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year says you can take up to 25 capules a day.

Hang in there.

Pam

Old 04-03-2003, 04:33 PM

This is the first time I have seen a galactogogue advertised just for the pg nursing mom. MDC is soooo cutting edge!

It must be mild, to be safe for pregnancy.

If you have had preterm labor before, you are right to be cautious about EBF while pg. Might be safer to ease off on the bfing now anyway, and let him have the bottle, since he seems to accept it so well. You can always offer to nurse again once the baby comes!

User Tag List