Toys "R" Us Nurse-In Press Release - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-19-2006, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here it is ladies - please post it as far and as wide as possible.

BREASTFEEDING MOTHERS REFUSE TO BE BANISHED TO THE BASEMENT!

Nurse-In Scheduled to Demand Toys “R” Us Stop Harassing and Humiliating Lactating Women.

New York, New York - Mothers breastfeeding their children and their supporters will inundate the area in front of the prominent Times Square Toys “R” Us on Thursday, September 21, 2006 at 11 AM. Last week, several Toys “R” Us employees triggered the Nurse-In when they harassed Chelsi Meyerson for quietly breastfeeding her son while watching her daughter play.

The family was celebrating the girl’s third birthday on September 11th, 2006, until salespeople demanded that Meyerson move to the basement or stop feeding her child. When she refused, a security guard came to “deal with” her. “I have never been more humiliated and dismayed,” says Meyerson. To date, no one with real authority within Toys “R” Us local or corporate management has deigned to speak with her, despite repeated requests. Management also failed to request an apology from the employees for their illegal and callous treatment of the mother.

New York law protects the right of women to breastfeed anywhere they are legally allowed to be (NY CLS Civ R § 79-e). Breastmilk should optimally be a baby’s only food for six months and part of the diet for much longer, according to the World Health Organization and the America Academy of Pediatrics. Widely known benefits include lower rates of maternal breast cancer, reduced incidences of childhood obesity and asthma, higher IQs, and stronger immune systems in breastfed infants and toddlers. In addition, the act of nursing from a breast rather than a bottle promotes proper oral development and fosters a strong mother child bond crucial to healthy emotional development.

Since their mothers’ milk is quickly and easily digested, breastfed children eat frequently, making it nearly impossible for a mother to avoid nursing in public. Social stigma and fear of harassment, like that inflicted on Ms. Meyerson by Toys “R” Us employees, is a significant barrier that stops many women from breastfeeding at all. Further, ostracizing mothers and children by making them hide in a basement, “nursing room,” or a dirty public bathroom while their children eat infringes on their dignity and basic human rights.

Despite the fact that many mothers profess to have had positive experiences with Toys "R" Us, their gross mistreatment of Ms. Meyerson in this case is not only a transgression against common sense and decency, it is also a violation of New York State Law, which, as stated above, guarantees women the right to nurse their children anywhere they are legally allowed to be. Anecdotal accounts also highlight many more incidences similar to Ms. Meyerson's, although those women either were not as aware of their rights or not in states where their rights were protected; this is not an isolated incident, although it appears to be one of the worst. Therefore, the mothers and their supporters will be gathering to highlight this serious problem and to encourage Toys "R" Us to provide better training to all employees so that an incident of the nature involving Ms. Meyerson never happens again.

The nursing mothers and their supporters are coming together to support Meyerson and other mothers determined to give their children the best possible nutrition and meet their emotional needs through breastfeeding. They are demanding Toys “R” Us change its policies and better educate their employees about the legal rights of their customers so that they never again make a woman feel “humiliated and dismayed” for nurturing her child.

The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is now involved in the legal ramifications of this incident and is to be commended for bringing this important civil rights issue to the forefront and for standing up for the rights of all people.

For more information about this event or topic or to schedule interviews with participants, please contact Ashley Clark by email at anniej83@hotmail.com.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#2 of 12 Old 09-20-2006, 01:58 AM

bump - please keep spreading the word!
#3 of 12 Old 09-20-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, we're getting lots of responses! Keep sending it out ladies!

#4 of 12 Old 09-21-2006, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Today's the day! Hope to see you there!

#5 of 12 Old 09-21-2006, 05:01 AM

It's really heartening to know there are so many brave mamas out there!
#6 of 12 Old 09-21-2006, 02:00 PM

Good luck to everyone there! Must be almost over with by now, eh? Wish I could have come out.
#7 of 12 Old 09-21-2006, 02:04 PM

darn it! i didnt see this!!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#8 of 12 Old 09-21-2006, 02:36 PM

We didn't make it either, but I can't wait to hear about it!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#9 of 12 Old 09-21-2006, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't wait to hear how it went! I had a LLL meeting today and told everyone about you brave mamas!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 12 Old 09-21-2006, 05:57 PM

So...how'd it go? Any pics?
#11 of 12 Old 09-22-2006, 10:59 AM

How did it go?
#12 of 12 Old 09-22-2006, 03:42 PM

Wow! I nurse at Babies R Us on a regular basis with no problems....how sad!

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page