What were you fed as a baby? Another post got me thinking....... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 221 Old 06-09-2007, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
breastmilk for 3 months then i weaned :
maybe some formula and cows milk before i was 1!!!

* i do totally understand where my mom was outta luck, 22 years later i had NO nursing support and did EVERYTHING wrong in the first month and ruined me and DS BF relationship (still feel sick about it) (relaction was a no go)
#122 of 221 Old 06-09-2007, 11:09 PM

All 3 of us were BF for just over a year. My mom was a LLL member back in the 70s!
#123 of 221 Old 06-09-2007, 11:11 PM

Though, as an enraging side story, my MIL proudly claims that she fed all 4 of her children formula for 3 months and then switched to 2% milk and solids! That explains a lot about her kids...
#124 of 221 Old 06-09-2007, 11:23 PM

I am almost 24....I was breastfed until I was almost 2, my mom said at that point I was too big and too hot in the summer(she lived in Florida). My mother was BF for about 12 weeks, then the doctor told her to switch to formula. My father was breastfed, his mother and her twin sister both breastfed all of their children which was unusual at the time.

Social Worker Mom to a fantastic four year old nocirc.gif
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut
Never put a period where God has put a comma!
#125 of 221 Old 06-09-2007, 11:32 PM

Older sister ('81): Nursed to 2.5-2.75, my mom isn't really sure when she stopped... but her and I tandamn nursed for a bit I know.
Me ('84): Sometime between 21 months and two years, I got less and less interested in it when I mom was pregnant.
Younger sister ('86): A mixture of mother-led/child-led weaning when she was 2.5. We were about to move overseas (to England) and my mom wanted her done before that.
#126 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 12:06 AM

My mom breastfed all three of us until we were about two! My MIL did also (and nursed my SIL, her last until she was over 3!!) My mom also delayed solids. She never did spoon feeding with us and just gave us table food "snacks" off and on until we were around a year. My MIL seems so mainstream, she's this prim/polite 60 yo school teacher, but they also co-slept and she jokes about nursing my SIL in the most public places possible to intentionally 'offend' people.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#127 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 12:13 AM

My mom BF all three of us (1970-1977), which truly shocks me. She was not a hippie at all! She's about as conservative and "follow the doctor's orders" as it gets.

She grew up in a family of 15 (1940s-60s) and there was some reason my GM couldn't BF, so my GM made her own formula out of powdered milk and Karo syrup. Lovely! Somehow all those kids turned out to be strong, smart farm kids.

My mom BF my older brother and one time she was too embarrassed to BF in public and fed him a bottle of formula, which he promptly threw up everywhere. "That was the last time I ever used formula!"

She says she BF me for 6 months, but in my baby book it says she started me on fruits and vegetables at 6 weeks.

She BF my little brother until he was 11 months old, but I don't think it was exclusive BF.

I'm so glad she did BF us bc it was a big influence on me, and she was the ONLY one who taught me how to get my DD to latch on correctly. She showed me a trick that none of the LCs even mentioned.
#128 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 12:16 AM

I was luck enough to be born to a future IBCLC. In the 70"s I was bfd until 12 months (nursing strike) no solids until seven months, #2 until 15 months, #3 15 monts (5 while she was pregnant) and #4 20 months. She was a LLL member and LC when no one new what they were. She is my hero and my inspiration. She breastfed all of us while not 1 of her friends even tried it. Thanks MOM!!!

Oh and my Mil bfd all 10 of her kids 9 and 10 are twins in the 50's and 60's for at least three months each. Of course I am the only dil who bf's

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#129 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 12:30 AM

I nursed until about 18 months. I was fed cereal at 4 months. My mom smoked while she nursed me. She was fed formula because her mother was told not to nurse since her mother had breast cancer. My grandmother was never really comfortable with her or anyone nursing.

My grandmother on my Dad's side nursed all 8 of her children for about 3 months each. She pumped milk for my dad when he was born since he had to stay at the hospital longer when he was born and she was home with his brother. My grandfather ran the milk to the hospital and to pray for my father while he was in the hospital.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#130 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 12:31 AM

my mom always said that all three of us were "breastfed" for three months each. When I became a mom, i finally asked her what her definition of "breastfed" meant. In my case specifically, it meant one week of breastfeeding only then she went back to work. (of course during that "exclusive" week of breastfeeding, they were also trying out formulas on me...). during working hours (from 7 am to 7pm... for her) i was fed formula. she jokingly remembers that the first formula made me break out in hives all over...urg.
she said pumps in those days (1971) were not that good so during the day i was formula fed. at night, i was breastfed HOWEVER, i supposedly slept through the night at a very young age (yeah, it helped that my crib was put in the kitchen. another urg!). so really, i am not sure how much i was breastfed. i have always had a "sensitive" stomach.
oh yeah, and my mom is a doctor...

update: asked my mom when she started feeding me solids. three months! urg.

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
#131 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 12:47 AM

i was exclusively breastfed for the first six months and then switched to soy formula for the next 18 months. Don't understand why but really not going to get into it with my mom (as long as she doesn't push formula on my child). I do know that I was small (5 12 at birth) and there were worries about sufficient weight gain. however, she used the same regimen with my brother too. i was born in 71 and he in 77.
#132 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 12:57 AM

I was breastfed but my mom can't remember for how long. She never mentioned formula so I'm sure I was bf'd until I was well into solid foods.

partners.gif = angel2.gifloveeyes.gif & shy.gif
#133 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 01:00 AM

I was FF.
#134 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 01:07 AM

I was breastfed for three years. I don't believe I ever had formula, though it's possible I did. My mom is a pretty firm believer in starting solids early, so I'm sure I was eating solids by 4 months or so.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#135 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 01:12 AM

me- breastfed until almost 2 y/o

younger bro- breastfed until 10 months. he bit my mom while nursing, she yelped, he refused to breastfeed after that. talk about a sensitive little guy! i'm not sure what she did after that. formula i'm guessing.
#136 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 12:12 PM

My mom tried to bf me. I was given a bottle of sugar water by the nurses despite my mom telling them she was bf'ing. I had nipple confusion and mom had no support. I think she managed to bf me about 2 weeks. This was in '76. My parents have been awesome support for me.
NAK dozing 18 month old =D
#137 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 04:39 PM

me EBF until 11 mo when DM dried up bc preggo w/DB who BF for 27 mo. DM was very active in LLL and this was in the 70's. She was also BF as well as her sisters and my Grandmother was also BF as well as her sister and 2 brothers bc Great-Grandma was a wet nurse, which I think is the coolest thing ever!

on a side note, DB the booby baby absolutly frowns on my BF his nephew, I think this is so ironic when he was so into it as a babe
#138 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 05:41 PM

Mom tried to bf me, but her milk "never came in" because, according to her, she was way too stressed out dealing with my deadbeat dad. (They divorced six weeks later.) When I was 1 week old, the pediatrician told Mom that I was starving to death and she had to give formula, so she basically just quit bfing entirely at that point.

She also started rice cereal when I was about 3-4 weeks. Then mysteriously right around the same time, I developed horrible "colic" and would scream all night long. Oddly nobody made the connection between these two things. : The eventual cure for my colic? My great-grandmother suggested putting a few drops of whiskey in my bottle, so they did, and I slept for "12 whole hours!"

Sigh.

And, I had chronic ear infections as a child and have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes as an adult, so I'm definitely not one of those that "turned out just fine"! (Although of course the diabetes and ear problems might have happened anyway -- both run in the family.)
#139 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 06:30 PM

My mom used formula with me and both of my older sisters. She even had the shot to "dry up" the milk. She did it because she was told by her doctor that it would be best to use formula, and she wasn't very informed. My oldest sister was born in 1967, and the information was out there, but my sisters were born in military hospitals, so she was limited on the information she received. When I came along, she just did the same thing she'd always done, and never thought twice about it.

But now that I'm nursing my daughter, and my older sister nursed both of her kids, my mom is a huge lactivist. I think she has some regrets, because my oldest sister and I both had some health problems in infancy that probably would have been lessened had we been breastfed. But she honestly didn't know, so I can't fault her for it. She did the best she could with the information she had at hand, and she's very supportive and just soaks up all the information that I give her now.
#140 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 06:59 PM

I was FF as my mother was told she couldn't nurse....she tried but ended up with formula for me...Soy I believe...

She was supportive of me when I started with dd but as she neared a year....less so....as dd neared 2, even less...as she neared 3......"when are you going to wean that child....isn't it about time...blah blah blah started..."

DD weaned herself very gradually just before her third birthday but I think that's more bc I was 4 months pregnant (7 months now) and nothing was there....even for a bit before that it was once here and there when she got hurt, was sick or just extra tired....

DD has already claimed the right side (i used to call it the chocolate side bc it seemed to have more, pumped more etc...) and that her baby sister when she comes end of summer can have the left side....so I am sure I will hear comments again when the new baby is here and dd at 3.5 wants to nurse again.....

Oy vey!!
#141 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 07:14 PM

Interesting thread....

We were really poor and my mother said she couldn't afford formula. But, she says she just couldn't "bring herself" to bf, either... wtf? For a while she found goat's milk for me, which I can't imagine was cheap... but, I bet before long (maybe a month or so), I was getting powdered cow's milk in my bottle.

I believe she did the same with my 2 brothers and 2 sisters.

We all have weight problems.

My older brother: Chronic sinusitis, multiple allergies.
My older sister: Multiple upper resp infx as a child. Multiple ear infx.
Me: Chronic ear infx. 80% hearing loss in left ear. Multiple childhood illness. Abx resistance.
Younger brother: Multiple upper resp infx.
Younger sister: Died at 7 weeks. SIDS.

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#142 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 07:14 PM

Me bf by my aunt Bio mom didn't want me raised by my grandparents weaned at 3yro along with my cousin

Live ,Laugh,Love Mama to DD13,ds11,dd6 ,dd2 and ds 2 familybed2.gifnursex2.gifhomeschool.gif

#143 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 07:22 PM

My mom breastfed both my older brother and me. Him for 6 months, and me for 9. Both times until she ran out of milk. She really really really wanted to go longer than that, though.

That was in the early 70's. She did it because it is best.

ETA: When she ran out of milk with my brother, he got apple juice for a few days then, then skim milk. With me, I got homemade soy milk.
#144 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 PM

My mom nursed me for 9 months, at which point she thought I was ready to wean . . . I'm sure it was a nursing strike due to teething. I'm pretty sure I was put straight on pasteurized cow milk at that point as there's no way they would have been able to afford formula.

My mom was formula fed and my dad I believe was breastfed at least somewhat. His mom was something of a health nut for the time (good for her!)

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#145 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 10:43 PM

My mother was encouraged to BF by the nurses at the hospital ,and reports I was rooting very clearly and obviously, but she didn't want to do it at all and had that shot to dry up her milk. I apparently hated bottles and self-weaned from them early, but sucked on pacifiers constantly.

I'm actually a dreadful advertisement for the problems of formula as I am really healthy with no weight problem. DH was nursed until 8 months and he has asthma, poor guy. I'm still nursing at 11 months and the kids are super duper healthy. One fever so far (teething related, I think) and a couple of minor colds and that is it.

Mostly sane mother to twins.
#146 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 10:53 PM

I was bf for two months, and then my mom got mastitis while on vacation to her parents' house... her mother took her to see her ancient OB/GYN, who told her she should wean, rest, and let my grandmother feed me bottles of formula So, that was the bad advice given to her (and she has told me that she knows she was given bad advice) in 1979 with her first child... I don't know what formula I was on, but I started solids probably around 4 mos.

My three younger brothers were all breastfed about a year, give or take a month. I thought that was pretty cool, considering that the advice in the 80s was to nurse for 6 months, and she never went to LLL meetings or anything... I haven't met many people IRL who were breastfed more than 6 months during the 80s. She did supplement w/ formula from time to time because, in her words, "breast pumps back then were terrible." She says my brothers all pretty much stopped nursing on their own at around 12 months of age.

We all had jarred baby food - blech!

My dh and his sister were both breastfed for a month or so, but the doctor told MIL to switch to formula since they weren't gaining well... it sounds like she didn't have much support
#147 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 11:32 PM

I was breastfed for 2 months. Then my mom got cracked nipples and she started seeing her blood in my spit up, so they told her she had to wean. Then I got formula till I was 9 months old, when I threw the bottle at her. After that, just cow's milk in a cup.

She BF'ed my brother till he was 6 months and she "had" to wean. I guess that's as old as they would "let" a baby breastfeed back then. She said that she cried and cried when she weaned him.

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#148 of 221 Old 06-10-2007, 11:56 PM

Both my brother and I were exclusively formula fed. My mom was young and definately didn't have any support for breast feeding not to mention the rest of her family used formula. It was normal in her world. I don't know what my mom thinks of me breastfeeding and I don't plan on asking her. When both boys got their first tooth she did comment that I'd have to stop breastfeeding but I told her that you can still breastfeed babies with teeth and that was the end of the breastfeeding talk. I know that my aunt and cousins think breastfeeding is disgusting and they will be in for the shock of their life when I go to Ohio to visit at the end of the month when I breastfeed my youngest!

SJ
#149 of 221 Old 06-11-2007, 02:47 AM

My grandmother breastfed my mother and her siblings for about 6 months each in the 1940's.

My brother was exclusively breastfed for 6 months and then weaned at 9 months because my mothers nipples were painful from pregnancy with my sister. She exclusively nursed my sister for 6 months and then continued to nurse her till she was 18 months and "weaned herself."

I was exclusively breastfed for 6 months and then ate food and nursed till I was 18 months when I got sick and was unable to eat anything but breastmilk and was then exclusively breastfed again for another 18 months until I was 3 at which point I started being able to eat again and then I weaned when I was almost 4.

Breastfeeding most certainly saved my life and contrary to what many doctors say, breastmilk IS enough to sustain a toddler.

By the way I'm 29.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#150 of 221 Old 06-11-2007, 06:52 AM

adopted so formula fed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page