What were you fed as a baby? Another post got me thinking....... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering whay yout mother fed you and WHY(if you know)I think it would be intersting in seeing how woman fed thier babies 20-40 years ago and why they did it.

My mother BF my brother 30 years a go until age 8mo. she thought BFing was better for baby (she also smoked while bfing, there was no mention at this that it was dangerous) My mother bf me for just a few months when she said one day I just refused her breast (probably a nursing strike!) and her doctor told her that her milk must be sour and to stop bfing me because she was feeding me spoiled milk. (IS this even possible??? Or was the doctor just an idiot!!) So she sais she tried every formula and I would not tolerate any of them she settled on giving me a mix of 50% water/ 50% 2% cows milk in a bottle. It's a wonder I survived!!! Doc said I was to FAT!! since I was born at 10lb 3oz. and she shouldnd't feed me very often so she gave me lots of water bottles during the day. She said I was a VERY cranky baby and cried all the time. WELL DUH I WAS STARVING SHe took away my Breastmilk and was giving me water and very little cows milk. She said I wasn't very cranky until her milk soured ( WELL DUH IT PROABLT NEVER SOURED I WAS PROBABLY ON A NURSING STRIKE!!)

Anyway what did your mothers feed you and why

the point of this thread is to see how many mothers were poorly informed by thier docs or peers. This way we can try and educate all and dispell feeding myths

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 11:22 AM

My mom never had a desire to breastfeed and I was fed Enfamil formula. She says she waited til 6 months to give me cereal but I seriously doubt that. I just think she doesn't remember!

Blessed mama of four
::
#3 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 11:36 AM

My mom tried to breastfeed but always had to supplement. Turns out she never delivered her placenta and when I was 4 weeks old she almost died. She spent about 2 weeks in the hospital while I stayed with some friends of hers. After she got out, I was taken to the hospital because when given only milk based formula I got really sick. I was there for a week. During that time, I was put on soy formula with rice cereal as a thickner. She never got a official diagnosis but from talking with her, it sounds like I had GERD.

OT, but does anyone know if GERD can be genetic? My dd was a real spit-uppity baby and I wonder if it's connected.

Mama of three.

#4 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 11:37 AM

My mom breastfed me for about 3 weeks, then gave up because she thought I didn't like it I was then formula fed. BUT she breastfed my sister who is 3 years younger for a year- exclusively. She didn't pump, and gave her nothing else for a year. Of course with me being a lactivist she constantly apologizes to me now, and thinks formula is evil. She said she just didn't know better. Back then she was just a naive first-time mommy with no support really- and those who gave her support didn't breastfeed!

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#5 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My mom was a self-defined "commie pinko hippie" in the late 60's/early 70's. She was a member of LLL when there was only one group in our general area (there are now about 5-6 busy groups) and it only had about 15 regular members. She had to tell the nurses in the hospital to NOT give her the shot to dry up her milk.

She nursed J for 6.5m, until his death. She nursed D until she found out she was pg with me and her OB told her to wean. We're 14m apart so I guess he was about 6mo at the time. She nursed me until I "self weaned" at 11mo, the day I took my first steps (I guess nobody had heard of nursing strikes in 1973. ) She hand-expressed milk for my bottles (about 1 a week) until the dr gave her the go-ahead to give me whole cow's milk (I'm guessing around 6mo, but she doesn't remember.) I know I had been getting bottles of cow's milk in addition to nursing when I weaned.

She told me how she fed each of us a few spoonfuls of baby cereal a couple days before our 6m checkups so she could get the ped's permission to move onto "real foods." It's sad that she felt the need for the ped's permission, and never thought to go against dr's orders, but cool that she found a way to delay solids as long as she felt she could, and limit our exposure to highly refined foods (ie baby cereal.) She also made most, if not all of our baby food- apparently the jarred stuff in those days contained a lot more sugar and salt than they do today.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#6 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 11:41 AM

I was BF in the '70's. Not sure how long. My mom eventually weaned to soy milk because she thought it was healthier than cow's milk. She also started rice cereal at 2 weeks and made her own baby food.

The worst though was giving me peanut butter on a paci. Apparently my gma got me addicted to sugar dipped paci's and my mom thought peanut butter would be better. Hello potential allergen and choking hazard!

My dh was BF about 6 months. MIL's sisters told her she should stop because the warm weather was coming and they would be out more. I guess they thought NIP was bad. He also got honey dipped paci's. Ay, yi, yi.
#7 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 11:57 AM

Formula (early 80's). She STILL believes formula is the best thing for a baby.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#8 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 12:09 PM

My mom breastfed both my brother and I in the 70's. Somewhere between 4 and 6 months...she doesn't remember exactly. About the time she started us on solids and we started pulling away from the breast to look around some (that is when she started pushing weaning with me and my first). I think after she weaned we got whole milk and solid foods. She doesn't remember. She did go to LLL meetings.
#9 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 12:14 PM

I got Enfamil (which I've heard is one of the raunchiest tasting formulas out there) from day one. Week TWO I started getting rice cereal in my bottles. Month TWO I was already on baby foods. Eeks!

Thank God I've got no allergies.
#10 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 12:19 PM

My mom breastfed me for 11 months, but then her milk dried up (her dr suspected a possible miscarriage?). She breastfed my brother until 10 months, but had to have her wisdom teeth removed, and was told that she had to wean him to have the procedure done. She nursed my sister until she was 4.

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#11 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 12:21 PM

I was breastfed for about four weeks, at which point my mom "had" to switch to formula because I wasn't gaining well or having enough wet diapers. This was due to BAD advice about breastfeeding ("only feed her for five minutes," etc.) and little to no lactation support in the hospital. Ironically, we are taking our baby to the same ped I had, but 26 years later, he is very supportive and knowledgable of breastfeeding and has lactation consultants on staff.

My mom is envious of my breastfeeding relationship with ds. She wishes she had the support I have had.
#12 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 PM

I was BF until a year I think but my younger bro only 6 months (odd--doesn't it usually go the other way around?).

I just wanted to add my 5'0" aunt was raised on mashed potatos and cow's milk from infancy because my grandmother couldn't afford formula!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#13 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 12:38 PM

my DM tried to BF, but she never got any milk; I "starved" for 3 days until the nurse took me away to be formula fed.
well, i cant blame her for "failing" - after a forced unnecessary C/sec, I was kept in a nursery and brought to DM for scheduled feedings - 20mins every 4 hours (except at night). no one tried to help or encourage her.
:
with my DB and DS she didnt even try.
We were all given rice cereal and heinz baby food on "schedule" and by the time we were in school, lived almost exclusively on junkfood. even the "nutritious" dinners she sometimes prepared were generally frozen mix veggies boiled till they had no flavour or colour, chips or some other kind of frozen and then deep-fried potato, and fried chops or steak or sausages. with tomato ketchup (that counts as a vegetable, right?)

At least she was really supportive of me BFing, but she did try to pressure me to give rice cereal at 6mos. At least we live on a different continent so we managed to avoid most of her well-meant advice!

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#14 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 12:42 PM

Booby baby for 14 months in the late '60's. My mom rocks.
#15 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 12:50 PM

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 7 months pregnant with me. It was a really agressive form so they flew us to a major center and she was induced. She was having very agressive cancer therapy, so couldn't breastfeed. I was put onto formula , but was really allergic. Sooo ( acccckkk!) was given plain cows milk.... could be a reason for my allergy/ stomach problems!

:
#16 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 12:58 PM

Evaporated milk , karo and vitamin drops mixed in my bottle.

Sharon wife to my hero James and  momma to Kaitlyn 17, Tayler 15 and Anna 7.fur momma to Kami  pit/boxer mix.

#17 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 01:01 PM

My mom tried to breastfeed. She gave it her all for several weeks, but she didn't produce enough (we were fed on demand for six weeks, at which point she returned to work...she was self-employed). So, I went on formula. My older sister got less breastmilk than I did. My younger brother got more breastmilk, but still was on formula, too.

I am 25 and still my mom feels like she failed us by not being able to BF.
#18 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 01:10 PM

I was breastfed for 3.25 years in the 80's and didn't have solids till around 7months. yay mom!
#19 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 01:30 PM

I was EBF for 5 months, then had a mix of BM and formula for 3 more months (mom returned to work and could only hand express, she did not react well to a pump) from then on it was formula only.

I was fed baby cereal startging at 3 months and I "tasted" every food my parents ate starting at 4 months.

I was the 1st baby, and I was born in 1980.
#20 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 01:59 PM

Me (1971) - Formula. I was a preemie - around 32 weeks - and it was unheard of to pump for preemies back then. Plus being my mother's first child, she was devastated and stressed out enough.

My sister (1974)- Breastfed for about 6 months, then formula. Mom weaned due to biting and pressure from family members.

Second sister (1975) - Breastfed for a year - Mom said screw what other people think.

And just for fun, my cousin - 1974 - Formula, my aunt didn't even consider bfing. I have a picture of him at no more than 6 weeks old with my aunt bragging on the back of the picture "First Solids!!!" The poor kid could barely hold his head up and my aunt was shoving cereal down his throat.

I don't know about solids for any of us, other then it was MUCH earlier than 6 months and it was stuff like blueberry pie for babies, etc. Yuck.
#21 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon71 View Post
Evaporated milk , karo and vitamin drops mixed in my bottle.
My mom gave me something similar to this too. She said, "In those days, you had to make your own formula." I'm only 24 for the record. I wonder which is worse.
#22 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was born in 1972. I was breastfed exclusively until I "asked" for the food my mum was eating. Then I was held at table, and fed "smushed" versions of whatever she was eating, and breastfed until I weaned myself at about 2 1/2.

I think my siblings were fed pretty much the same way. My mum was of the opinion that baby food was not only unnecessary, but evil.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#23 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 02:08 PM

Mom bf'd all seven of us ('71-84) -- All but me for 15-18 months. I went on a nursing strike/weaned at 10 months when Mom was 4 months pregnant with my younger sister. While mom was traveling with me and my older sister, cross-country by herself on a train. Poor mom. My youngest sister was a 2 month preemie and Mom still bf'd her (pumped etc. during NICU time for breastmilk). Mom also hand-expressed when she had to return to work while any of us were still bf -- which she tried to avoid.

Mom didn't start solids with us 'til sometime around 5ish months (I think she was "supposed" to at 3ish months, but Mom read The Womanly Art and was a nurse and watched for readiness cues instead?). She did start cow's milk with us at meals by the time we were 8 months (she started at 6 months with one sister, ironically the one who had an infant cow's milk allergy that wasn't diagnosed 'til she was 2, Mom feels guilty about that). The docs were saying to start at 6 months. The foods mom fed us were mostly mashed table foods (Mom cooks pretty low-fat, low-salt, healthy meals).

Mom wanted to do CLW and didn't/doesn't realize that the early intro of solids and especially early intro of cow's milk is what most likely ended the nursing relationships with us .... By the time we were 12 months, she says most of us were just nursing morning and night, drinking cow's milk at meals and the rest of the time. She's not been pushy about the fact that Ina bf'd 'til 2 1/2 (curious and kept reassuring me that "she'll quit one day," as if I needed the reassurance ) -- and I don't want to rain on her parade. She did a great job bfing past a year, given when she was doing it!!

The local doctors would refer nursing women who were having problems to talk to Mom about them (very small rural community and no LLL). I don't think she had many problems with her doctors - but as a respected nurse, and a pretty well-informed and stubborn woman, I don't think she gave them much room for input either.

Not all who wander are lost.
#24 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was born in 1983 and was nursed for 15 months, three months longer than my brother and sister (1982 and 1984, respectively) because I was a preemie and I was still tiny. According to my dad, I got a few bottles during growth spurts until my mom's milk "caught up" (though how they expected it to catch up without extra nursing is beyond me). I think they fed by the clock. I was started on solids at 4 months. As long as I can remember, we were fed junk. Chips, candy bars, ice cream, Hamburger Helper, plain hot dogs with canned sauce, frozen fish sticks, frozen dinners, instant mashed potatoes, etc. The few times we had veggies, they were canned, unseasoned, and cooked to mush. The only lettuce I knew was plain iceburg. Our fruits consisted of a bag of apples and oranges. It was a total shock to my system when I started eating healthy foods, and even more so when I went vegetarian. I have to take my own food when I visit my parents.

ETA: I was a preemie and in the hospital for I think three weeks. My mom would come to the hospital 2-3 times a day to nurse. I don't think she pumped, so I probably got formula in between.

DH, on the other hand, was nursed until he was almost 5. His mom didn't have much time to cook, so most of the time they got basic junk stuff like mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, canned veggies, etc.

DS has a completely different start to life. He's 20 months and still nursing (no formula since he left the hospital, when the nurses gave it without my permission), eats mainly all-natural food, LOVES fresh fruit, eats veggies well, inhales plain oatmeal like it's coated in chocolate, and gets a lot of exercise. I started him on solids at 5.5 months because he was showing all the signs of being ready, and boy did he love that banana! Hopefully, I'll be able to avoid not only the blood-sugar disorders prevalent in my family, but the weight problems in both my family and DH's.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#25 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 02:15 PM

I was fed
cereal at 2 weeks, formula since birth (not sure brand or kind) and was given whole milk at 6 months. (and she stopped the formula) She did teh same for all 3 of us. She had no desire to breastfeed, never even thought about it and when i asked her why not she said she was way too uncomfortable with her own body and too shy to ask questions. Also she had no support form her friends or family. She tried to convince me that my kids needed cereal at 4 weeks cause they had to be starving cause they weren't sleeping through the night. (: ) and that they weer gonna reject food if i waited too long. She also used all jarred baby food (which 30 years ago was loaded with sugars and thickeners etc). Despite all that I have taught her and that she has learned form watching me raise my kids she still says she wouldnt' do anythgin differently! :
#26 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 02:38 PM

Formula fed from day one. My parents went away for a day when I was 7 weeks old and when they came to get me, my grandpa was feeding me mashed up pizza! : I was given cereal sometime between 2 and 4 months (my mom can't remember exactly). I was started on baby food somewhere between 4 and 6 months. I was given pop before 1 year. :
#27 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 02:42 PM

My mom tried to nurse my older brother, but gave up after a couple of weeks due to sore nipples. When I was born in 1980, she was determined to breastfeed, so she contacted LLL and used a nipple conditioner before I was born.

I was breastfed for 18 months. In fact, my mom continued to nurse me when she got pregnant and even AFTER she gave birth to my younger brother, who is ONLY 14 months younger. I think she breastfed him to around18 months as well.
#28 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 02:59 PM

My mother breastfed all my brothers (26yo, 13yo and 12yo)...the oldest for 6 months, the middle for 6 months, and the youngest for 8 months. She breastfed me (I'm 23) for 2 weeks, then after that I was fed raw goat's milk. I started solids at 8 months (whereas my brothers started at 2-4 months). I am lactose intolerant, it was very bad as a baby and she didn't have all the info that's out there now. I doubt she could've afforded to completely cut out dairy anyways, she was a single mom of 2 working a part time job in a department store.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

#29 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 03:16 PM

My mother nursed me for 10 months until I "self weaned" onto a bottle of soy formula. She did say that I slept through the night very early on, so there wasnt much night nursing, so I guess it was easy for me to give it up during the day.

She was never a fan of extended nursing but I guess I educated her hehe

Incidentally, she is the only one who has ever said anything to me about NIP. "No one wants to see that" she thought she was funny @@

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#30 of 221 Old 09-20-2006, 03:16 PM

My mommy swears I weaned myself when I tease her about me only getting to bf for less than 2 years! Solids were started occasionally after 6 months and were homemade, usually homegrown organic veggies. My parents (and their peers/brothers/sisters) were big time hippies, real back to the land people.
1980: Me, until 21 months
1982: Brother until 3 years
1990: Brother until 3 years
1993: Sister until 3 years

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page