Lactivism for EPing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-08-2006, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never posted to this particular forum, but something has been on my mind. I guess I would consider myself a lactivist, but I don't actually nurse. I'm an EPer for a former preemie, and plan to continue at least until March, when she will be one year adjusted age. I have a question about how you folks feel the nursing in public laws and/or attitudes should apply to EPing.

I pump in my car on the way to/from work because I have a long commute and this allows me to spend more time in bed in the morning and with my baby in the evening. I don't know many more places that I would be comfortable pumping in public. I was thinking more of like in the women's restroom/lounge at airports, in my car at the zoo, things like that. Anywhere that others could actually see me pumping, so not in the stall, I guess.

What do you think my response should be if anyone has problems with the sight of a woman pumping? I've actually had people admit discomfort even seeing the milk (as I'm transferring it from my personal fridge to a cooler) or hearing the pump without seeing the process. Do you think the nursing in public law applies to me, in the remote chance I get pulled over during my commute pumping session?

Thanks for any thoughts.
#2 of 5 Old 10-08-2006, 01:10 AM

I would sure hope it applies! You're providing milk for your baby (GO YOU!!!! ), and any "exposure", of your breasts, the pump, or your milk (why do people have a problem with that??) or anything incidental to the act of providing the best food for your child should be covered by NIPing laws. Pumpers definitely should be covered by lactivism in my ever-so-humble opinion (same goes for SNS users, etc - it's all a part of feeding our babies the way, or the food, they're meant to be fed).
#3 of 5 Old 10-08-2006, 02:00 AM

I don't know where you are....

In Canada, each province has its own Human Rights Commission that would cover breastfeeding rights. The British Columbia Human Rights Commission has the most explicitPolicy and Procedure Manual for breastfeeding.

It clearly protects breastfeeding AND expressing milk as equivalent activities.

Read it yourself - and print it off. It's probably not where you live - but it does show that you are not some *crazy* person for thinking that your right to express in public should be protected, the same as breastfeeding!

http://www.infactcanada.ca/B.C._HR_P...ure_Manual.htm

Janice
#4 of 5 Old 10-08-2006, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Janice in Canada;6224306]I don't know where you are....

I'm in Texas. Thanks for the link. Such a civilized place, Canada.....
#5 of 5 Old 10-08-2006, 02:13 AM

I'm also an EP'er (15 months in) and wonder about this too. I have also pumped in the car, usually I drape something over the top.

once in a while if I have a very close friend over I will pump in the room, like if we are watching a movie and I don't want to stop it, go away, and come back 20 minutes later. there are really only two female friends who I would do that with. also, when DD was in the hospital for cleft palate surgery, I had nurses/residents in the room and I fully intend to do the same at the end of this month for her next surgery.

it's tough. I think their discomfort is the same as it is with NIP. I think anyone who is uncomfortable w/ NIP will be with pumping, perhaps even more so, it's not the most discreet thing in the world no matter what. Too bad. I think the laws absolutely apply because the laws often state that it doesn't matter if the nipple is exposed. If you get pulled over I bet you'll be able to unlatch by the time the cop got up to the window, they always saunter over slowly As far as other people who express discomfort : tell them maybe they need to work out in their mind why they have a problem with it, but you're not a psychologist. or, if that's too rude for you, just suggest that they don't have to look if they don't like it.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page