"Ruining" our breasts - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 10-29-2006, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrumDoula View Post
I nursed briefly off both breasts, then weaned my son off of my right breast and continued to nurse for almost 4 years on one side, my left. (Long story.) So I had an interesting little control group within my bra re: breast change.

The verdict, for me, anyway, was that pregnancy didn't really change my right breast. But my left breast was much softer, the nipple looks different and is tons stretchier. More stretch marks in the left breast, too. So nursing definitely changed my breast.

I think every woman's body reacts differently based on genetics, nutrition, exercise, etc. But yes, I wish that breast changes wouldn't be so idealized. Instead of saying, "Yes, they change with nursing" and then rushing to put a positive spin on it, I think we should acknowledge some womens' negative feelings about the matter and talk through it. Otherwise, they won't feel heard and respected about the matter. Just 'cause YOU'RE ok with breast changes doesn't mean the whole world is, that's for sure.

Some women have an awful lot of ego and feelings wrapped up in their breasts, and hardly need some guilt trip about the evils of the patriarchy. They simply need a sympathetic ear that will ultimately help them sort through their needs and the baby's needs. (And perhaps a gift certificate for a very sexy nursing bra!)
ITA
#62 of 86 Old 10-29-2006, 04:24 PM

1.) I don't think "ruined" is a effective word to use, because it is a value statement/judgement. "Changed" is more accurate. IUsing "changed" is not deceptive, it just removes the value statement. In a society were sagging breasts or long nipples were valued, these breasts would be considered trophies!

2.) RE; breast changes (not cosmetic, but *real* changes to the structure of the breast.
I really like the information in this brochure. This really explains the relationship between breast maturity and breast cancer.

http://www.bcpinstitute.org/booklet.htm

Explained in the booklet above,
The breast has many different stages of maturity (not just the maturity it undergoes during pregnancy and breastfeeding). Breast changes and matures as it undergoes puberty, first pregnancy, first full term pregnancy & birth, lactation, natural gradual weaning, etc.

For the record, my boobs are still quite small and perky, after 2 children and 7 years of lactation. The nipples are much longer and prominent, however. I do think there are great differences in the experience of lactation, though, that could effect wear & tear on the breasts. I think the long, slow weaning process of nursing my last child until the age of 5, was very healthy and easy on my breasts.

Since my mom died of breast cancer at age 59, having fought breast cancer twice (half my life with her, from age 14 to 28 when she died, we lived with the cloud of breast cancer hangin over our heads) - I am very thankful that I have breastfed. It is the thing that I could do, that would most affect my odds, and just makes sense to me. BTW, mom never breastfed any of her 3 kids at all, drs totally sabotoged her with the first.

I think my breasts may be *saved* by breastfeeding.

Janice
silvercloud3 likes this.
#63 of 86 Old 10-30-2006, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I guess even with your clarification, I'm not understanding what you're asking for. I'm trying, but I'm not getting it.

Breasts do change. It wlll be different for every woman, and they'll change in different ways and at different times. Is this what you want acknowledged?
I see frequently in breastfeeding circles, here at MDC and even in Dr. Sears books that it's pregnancy and not nursing that changes the breasts. I think it's pretty clear from anecdotal evidence that this isn't the case for many women and it's important to be honest about that. I have seen posted at MDC and IRL things like, "Breastfeeding doesn't ruin your breasts!" as if breasts could be ruined and that was a given, but that it wasn't *breastfeeding* that did it. In using those terms we are accepting that breasts can be ruined by change that does anything besides making breasts bigger, perkier and less mature. I disagree with that, and I know that many other women here do too.

Nearly every self-proclaimed lactavist I have known IRL has said something like that- "Breastfeeding doesn't ruin your breasts," and I think it is a horrible thing to say on a few levels. First, it invalidates the experiences of those of us who have experienced change due to BFing. Second, it isn't necessarily true. Third, and perhaps most importantly, it is accepting the standard that breasts should be a certain way and if they change away from the ideal they are ruined. I'm not sure how I can be more clear about it. I hope you get where I'm coming from. I don't know if I am talking in circles around my point and not really making it, in this thread.

Katie8681 likes this.
#64 of 86 Old 10-30-2006, 05:30 AM

Mamma -

I wasn't trying to be dismissive or disrespectful, just honest.

To me, it's always better to be more direct than less (though admittedly, I don't have a lot of patience for certain degrees of vanity).

Growing up is supposed to entail a certain amount of maturity and acceptance...if one has not reached/accepted the conclusion that our bodies change as we age/procreate and is considering having children, they have things to understand, and quickly.

Of course, there are different ways of communicating this, some certainly more diplomatic than mine.

Guess I'm not contributing to the conversation in a useful way. Sorry!
#65 of 86 Old 10-30-2006, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, cj.
#66 of 86 Old 10-30-2006, 10:11 AM

Deleted

#67 of 86 Old 10-30-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccohenou
On the nipple issue...I recall seeing my mother's nipples as a kid and that was my reference for what a woman's nipples looked like. She had nursed two children. My nipples weren't like that - they were usually flat, unless it was cold or something. So in my frame of reference, nursing has made my nipples finally 'normal' or 'fully mature'...not ruined.
Yes, as a girl I always wandered how I would ever breastfeed because my nipples were not long and big enough like my Mom's (she nursed the 4 of us) to stay in a baby's mouth Now I finally understand

ps. I thought big long perky nipples are what men like :
#68 of 86 Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma Mia View Post
I see frequently in breastfeeding circles, here at MDC and even in Dr. Sears books that it's pregnancy and not nursing that changes the breasts. I think it's pretty clear from anecdotal evidence that this isn't the case for many women and it's important to be honest about that. I have seen posted at MDC and IRL things like, "Breastfeeding doesn't ruin your breasts!" as if breasts could be ruined and that was a given, but that it wasn't *breastfeeding* that did it. In using those terms we are accepting that breasts can be ruined by change that does anything besides making breasts bigger, perkier and less mature. I disagree with that, and I know that many other women here do too.

Nearly every self-proclaimed lactavist I have known IRL has said something like that- "Breastfeeding doesn't ruin your breasts," and I think it is a horrible thing to say on a few levels. First, it invalidates the experiences of those of us who have experienced change due to BFing. Second, it isn't necessarily true. Third, and perhaps most importantly, it is accepting the standard that breasts should be a certain way and if they change away from the ideal they are ruined. I'm not sure how I can be more clear about it. I hope you get where I'm coming from. I don't know if I am talking in circles around my point and not really making it, in this thread.

But, if there were a woman who felt like stretch marks and long nipples and whatever else would create such a drastic change in her body that she would be really saddened by it, and feel like her breasts were "ruined" because of it, it would be better IMO to acknowledge her feelings of being ruined. If I say instead,"They aren't runined, they're just 'changed'," specfically in response to the woman's comment that BFing would "ruin" her breasts, I'm just invalidating or belittling her feelings about her own body. Whereas if I respond with "It wasn't really BFing that ruined them," or "BFing won't really ruin them in the future," I am accepting her feelings about herself, and just dealing with the situation from there by saying "BFing wasn't the cause or won't be the cause, here are the causes of 'ruined-ness': XYZ."

At least that's how I see it, that Lactavists will repeat back the word "ruined" in response to a statement about being "ruined" because the fact is the person you're advocating to feels "ruined," and you just have to deal with that person where they are. Trying to convince them that they aren't ruined or shouldn't *feel* ruined is not really effective, I don't think.

As for the second point you made here, that BFing can be a cause of breast change, you make a valid point actually, so I agree with that part, that we shouldn't just say "BFing isn't a cause, period." But have been one of those people to say "It was pregancy and not BFing that caused all the changes in my breasts." That's a true statement about my own experience, a factual statement, so I don't see any reason to change that, when I am limiting my statements to my personal experiences. But I can't and shouldn't make a blanket statement about *everybody's* breasts, that's true.

I hope that actually addresses the point of your post and that I didn't veer too far OT.

Single mom of 2 boys
#69 of 86 Old 10-30-2006, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
But, if there were a woman who felt like stretch marks and long nipples and whatever else would create such a drastic change in her body that she would be really saddened by it, and feel like her breasts were "ruined" because of it, it would be better IMO to acknowledge her feelings of being ruined. If I say instead,"They aren't runined, they're just 'changed'," specfically in response to the woman's comment that BFing would "ruin" her breasts, I'm just invalidating or belittling her feelings about her own body. Whereas if I respond with "It wasn't really BFing that ruined them," or "BFing won't really ruin them in the future," I am accepting her feelings about herself, and just dealing with the situation from there by saying "BFing wasn't the cause or won't be the cause, here are the causes of 'ruined-ness': XYZ."

At least that's how I see it, that Lactavists will repeat back the word "ruined" in response to a statement about being "ruined" because the fact is the person you're advocating to feels "ruined," and you just have to deal with that person where they are. Trying to convince them that they aren't ruined or shouldn't *feel* ruined is not really effective, I don't think.

As for the second point you made here, that BFing can be a cause of breast change, you make a valid point actually, so I agree with that part, that we shouldn't just say "BFing isn't a cause, period." But have been one of those people to say "It was pregancy and not BFing that caused all the changes in my breasts." That's a true statement about my own experience, a factual statement, so I don't see any reason to change that, when I am limiting my statements to my personal experiences. But I can't and shouldn't make a blanket statement about *everybody's* breasts, that's true.

I hope that actually addresses the point of your post and that I didn't veer too far OT.
I agree that it's important to validate someone's feelings if they are saddened and see their own breasts as "ruined." I don't think it's invalidating to say to that person, "I hear you that you see your breasts as being ruined and you feel sad about that. Personally, I don't think that breasts can be 'ruined' and that breasts in all forms are beautiful. I do know that it is very difficult, especially in our society, to have our breasts change away from what we have drilled into us as the ideal and I really feel for you." Or something like that. Acknowledge the person's feelings as valid and mirror them back while still refusing to accept a patriarchal standard of beauty. Share personal feelings of logically rejecting patriarchal ideas but emotional feelings of inadequacy.

Am I making sense?
#70 of 86 Old 05-26-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herausgeber View Post

Our society just had f&^%K up priorities about women's bodies.
This. This is so true! Bouncing back, not looking like we just GREW A PERSON, etc. Its so twisted. Healthy mama, healthy baby. Thats what matters. Why should we be shamed about not looking perfect?
#71 of 86 Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 PM

I see what you are saying but I also understand why many breast activists point out that being pregnant will change your breast anyway so not to worry about it. Why they say this became clear as I was listening to a young mom telling her friend that she wasn't going to breast feed to long because she didn't want her breast to be ruined(her words not mine). It shouldn't worry women what they look like but many young moms feel pressure to fit that yummy mommy stereo type.

I find this to be less common in second time moms and older moms who have already found self worth in things other than the way they look.

It is so sad that every TV show seems to judge moms by how they look according to a fake air brushed standard, not how good they are ,how caring they are,how gentle their eyes are.....

That is why in my opinion you get these 60 year old women dressing like they are 16 and thinking that if they don't look like they did when they were that age they should be ashamed.

It is all the more reason to be so careful about how we talk about ourselves in from of our daughters so they don't have to grow up comparing them selves to some impossible model.

#72 of 86 Old 09-10-2013, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Believe it or not, there has actually been a study to determine whether breastfeeding makes your breasts sag, and the answer was no.  All of the following were contributers to sagging breasts: gravity, age, genetics, pregnancy, having large breasts.

dinahx and MaggieLC like this.
#73 of 86 Old 10-04-2013, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I agree, "ruining" is a horrible way to put it. I hate the negative focus on how our bodies change... a link on that: http://4thtrimesterbodies.com/

I have also noticed that breastfeeding books, brochures, and even in WIC offices and Birth Centers, the photos displayed are of "flawless" bodies. Probably many are airbrushed. I think it would be really great to see more photos promoting breastfeeding that show how our bodies can change after pregnancy. I mean, am I the only one who has stretch marks on her boobs? I honestly thought that was something really weird that happened to me, but I'm thinking now that it may be more common than I realized. Our culture is just so focused on looking "flawless" that we don't see it as normal.

With DW partners.gif, DD1peace.gif(15), & DD2guitar.gif(11) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 ecbaby2.gif6/21/13. We familybed1.gif, I bftoddler.gif and I'm a total treehugger.gif.  Family of five females! grouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifLOVE makes a family.             M/C candle.gif 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
#74 of 86 Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma Mia View Post

You know, I see frequently in lactivism circles that folks say that pregnancy and not breastfeeding is what "ruins" the breasts.

Now first, to clarify, I don't see that my breasts are ruined by anything. They are different though. Breastfeeding all these years has stretched my nipples out quite a bit. They are very long. Issues with oversupply caused engorgement and stretch marks (meaning my skin stretched more and therefor sags more now) well after my milk came in.

I think that it is misinformation to tell women that their breasts won't change. I spent some months wondering what was wrong with me that my breasts changed and they weren't "supposed" to.

Can we change our language around this? It seems like saying that BFing won't "ruin" one's breasts is acknowledging that breasts can be "ruined", and by their most important natural function at that. I would really like to see that go. I also think it's imortant to acknowledge that for many women there will be a change in their breasts and if this is something that bothers them try to come up with ways to help. For example, if a mama is concerned about stretch marks help her to keep from getting engorged and protect her skin without binding her breasts and crushing her milk supply. Sometimes there won't be anything to help with changes, but helping to normalize those changes so that we are comfortable with them is the key.

My mother nursed me past toddlerhood, and her nipples were very long, just like mine. It was so drilled in to me in all the BFing books and forums that my breasts would not change with BFing, but pregnancy, that I assumed that I was not going to end up with those stretched out nipples since I didn't have them at the end of my pregnancy. It was almost counterintuitive, to be honest, but I believed it.

I think it's misinformation to say that breasts aren't changed by BFing, many women that I've talked to have had a similar exprience to me.

I don't think it's helpful to gloss over problems that women have or deny that they exist.

Can anyone else think of some other ideas and language around this issue that would honor the experiences of all women and be honest while still promoting breastfeeding?

We do have to be more careful with our language surrounding breastfeeding.

However, I want assure you that "over supply" and "engorgement" did NOT cause your stretch marks, your genetics did! Lots of women have oversupply and have experienced some full breasts over time. I have with all my kids, and fed them all into toddlerhood and older. However, my nipples are still "flat" and barely protrude from my areola unless I am cold or aroused. I also don't have any stretch marks on my breasts or on my belly from pregnancy because MY personal genetics don't include getting these. But, anecdote proves nothing. We know from scientific research that the appearance of the breast does not change during breastfeeding although Cold Turkey Weaning can actually damage the breast and cause permanent issues.

Breastfeeding really doesn't change the appearance of the breast. Mine look pretty much like they did before I had kids, some women have genetic that will eventually cause sagging or elongated nipples, but this would have happened if they had not had any children.

However, the breast is not considered to have completed Development until after it has lactated. Yes, the ductal structure changes, but the appearance of the breast is not changed by breastfeeding. All of what women attribute to breastfeeding is due to genetics, age, gravity and eventual weight gain or loss.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#75 of 86 Old 10-23-2013, 12:57 PM

THEY ARE THERE FOR BREAST FEEDING AND THATS THEIR PURPOSE.....OF COURSE THEY WILL CHANGE...WOMEN WHO ARE SO VAIN AS TO NOT BREAST FEED BECAUSE OF THIS WESTERN MEDICAL GARBAGE ARE OPENING UP THEIR ENTIRE FAMILY TO COMPROMISED IMMUNE SYSTEMS... ADDING TO THE PROBLEM BY TAKING DRUGS....?  PLS READ BELOW

Breast milk is just a great thing to have around for those daily bumps or mild illnesses. Got an ailment? Treat it with breast milk!

Here is a list of other uses for breast milk (other than feeding you child of course!) YOU CAN ALSO SUPPORT YOUR HUSBAND AND OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS  WITH YOUR BREAST MILK...WHICH IS LOADED WITH STEM CELLS

Pink eye, eye redness/soreness/puffiness – apply a few drops in the affect eye(s)
Diarrhea – breastfeeding your child helps prevent and treat diarrhea
Diaper rash – apply and allow to air dry
Cold sore – apply and allow to air dry
Warts – apply and allow to air dry
Minor cuts, burns and scrapes – apply, allow to air dry then bandage as needed
Stuffy / runny nose – squirt a few drops in each nostril
Sore / cracked nipples – apply and air dry
Ear infections – squirt a few drops in affected ear
Insect bites – apply and the itching will go away
Rashes, eczema – wash with clean water, apply milk and let air dry
Chicken pox – apply to sores and will help with itching
Sore throat – drinking breast milk will help fight the infection
Plugged tear ducts – squirt a few drops in the corner of the eye (by the nose) a few times a day
Contact lenses – dry lenses or run out of solution? Substitute breast milk, it’s sterile
Leg ulcers – apply a few drops of breast milk
Cancer – see my article on this topic for more information
Breast Cancer – breastfeeding can help prevent breast cancer in the mother
Osteoporosis – breastfeeding may help prevent osteoporosis in the mother
Diabetes, heart disease, childhood cancers, ear infections, obesity – breastfeeding your child can help prevent these diseases.

Doc T

CocoBird likes this.
#76 of 86 Old 11-03-2013, 09:33 AM

My BFF in Germany has five children, all bf until two-ish, sometimes tandem. She had perfect breasts before, and after those 6 years of bf, her boobs looked like empty potato chip packets. BUT she had a plan. They money she saved, she put away every week, diligently, in jars and then to the bank on a separate account. Then she got a boob job. All her kids are exceptionally healthy and happy, it is a lovely family to be around.

Where there is a will.... 

#77 of 86 Old 11-03-2013, 09:48 AM

Bearing children, but Not breast feeding increases removal of the breasts, statistically, via Mastectomy.

I would personally rather choose the option that increases my chances of ANY breast retention.

I don't think there is nearly enough discussion of the role in cancer prevention that lactation plays. It is like we are saying that there are only *one* type of breasts worth having, otherwise they are not even worth keeping otherwise.

Actually deciding to not BF for 'breast preservation' would be a medico cosmetic decision as much as getting implants would be . . . And I haven't studied this question specifically but I would suspect that not Breastfeeding could be equally if not more likely to result in medical issues for the mama than implants . . .
#78 of 86 Old 11-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Aye, pregnancy itself changes them, too. But ask one-sided feeders and they will see a difference. You can have a boob job without implants though. My friend did. 

#79 of 86 Old 11-03-2013, 10:28 AM

Lots of different opinions going around ....nice to read everyons thoughts....from my research,  lactating produces natural stem cells that protects a woman's breast and uterus from cancer.....stopping or never lactating makes those natural stems cells attack the bodies breast tissue and as a result the woman's own stem cells attack her breasts and cause or produce tumors....if a woman always lacatates ( even the smallest amount of milk ) her own natural stem cells will always protect her  from cancer...I have researched this for years and as we all know Dr's have always harvested stem cells from ones family members ( via bone marrow ) to treat and usually cure cancer ....California Medical Reseach Centers have been using breast milk stem cells to cure prostate cancer in men ( also they currently testing the affects on Alzheimer's, Parkinson and many other diseases we currently have no cure for .......old folks with cancer are given the opportunity to breast feed from paid wet nurses to help with their cancer when they can no longer feed by eating solid foods...all due respect to everyone's own opinion but ground breaking steps are made every year showing the benefits of the alpha lactibunim , stem cells, and lactibillium ( SP ) in breast milk as the natural cure to many health ailments....as long as a woman fully lactates her breasts will remain full and rounded and look great ....and she can harvest her milk for other family members ... DOC T

#80 of 86 Old 11-03-2013, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hey, I am a HUGE breastfeeding fan. I'm still nursing my 2 year old, although I think we're officially in the weaning process. It's got a lot of benefits. But I am not stacked like an 18 year old. My boobs are not "full and rounded" (although my husband tells me they are great-looking, bless his heart) and I have lactated pretty dang fully, I think. It's ok. I'm not 18 and I bore and nursed a beautiful child. It's the ciiiiircle of liiiife.  

CocoBird likes this.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#81 of 86 Old 11-03-2013, 01:33 PM

'Nursing does not diminish the beauty of a woman's breasts; it enhances their charm by making them look lived in and happy.' ~Robert A. Heinlein

This is my favorite quote on the subject. It acknowledges that a change could happen, but reimagines it.

We don't have to get caught up in society's trip about premature & surgically enhanced breasts being the standard for breast beauty.

All the lactivist backlash really feels very formula sponsored to me. TBH, Breastfeeding ruins your breasts, marriage, sexlife, etc really just brings us back IMO & it is just not true for even the majority . . .
CocoBird likes this.
#82 of 86 Old 11-03-2013, 01:41 PM

I think what most on this thread are talking about as 'ruined' are breasts after weaning. My breasts are still the envy of my neighborhood, after 7.5 years of continuous nursing. However I have never weaned. So couldn't we say that *weaning* is the real perpetrator here? wink1.gif
#83 of 86 Old 11-03-2013, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercloud3 View Post

Lots of different opinions going around ....nice to read everyons thoughts....from my research,  lactating produces natural stem cells that protects a woman's breast and uterus from cancer.....stopping or never lactating makes those natural stems cells attack the bodies breast tissue and as a result the woman's own stem cells attack her breasts and cause or produce tumors....if a woman always lacatates ( even the smallest amount of milk ) her own natural stem cells will always protect her  from cancer...I have researched this for years and as we all know Dr's have always harvested stem cells from ones family members ( via bone marrow ) to treat and usually cure cancer ....California Medical Reseach Centers have been using breast milk stem cells to cure prostate cancer in men ( also they currently testing the affects on Alzheimer's, Parkinson and many other diseases we currently have no cure for .......old folks with cancer are given the opportunity to breast feed from paid wet nurses to help with their cancer when they can no longer feed by eating solid foods...all due respect to everyone's own opinion but ground breaking steps are made every year showing the benefits of the alpha lactibunim , stem cells, and lactibillium ( SP ) in breast milk as the natural cure to many health ailments....as long as a woman fully lactates her breasts will remain full and rounded and look great ....and she can harvest her milk for other family members ... DOC T

Silvercloud, you come on every now and then singing the praises of stem cells, and I love your enthusiasm, but I would really, really love a link to the research you're reading, because my understanding of the science does not match yours.  Stem cells are fantastic, but stem cell transplants from family members usually involve stem cells harvested from infants, and are frequently unsuccessful.  I cannot imagine a medical facility of any kind setting up an opportunity for adult patients to breast feed - breast milk is extremely carefully screened when it's banked for feeding to preemies, and the milk banked supply usually does not meet the needs of all the premature infants who could benefit from it.  There is no way that an ethical doctor would divert that resource from premature infants to geriatric cancer patients.

My breasts did not remain full and rounded and great looking throughout the years I breast fed.  Sometimes they were so badly engorged I could barely move my arms, sometimes they were flat and soft and floppy.  Sometimes I went from A to B over the course of a few hours.  If full and rounded and great-looking is important to you, there are plenty of bras on the market that will assure you look that way no matter what.

My understanding of the research on lactation and breast cancer is that it takes a comparatively large amount of breast feeding to achieve a fairly small reduction in risk.  I don't want to trivialize the agonies of breast cancer, but my decisions about breastfeeding were not made by thinking through all the probabilities about things that might come to pass over the course of my life, they were made by evaluating the circumstances actually in existence, and considering how best to get through each day.  I suspect a lot of people work like that.  It's hard to say what, if any, protective effect lactating had for me.  I started making milk two days after my son was born, and stopped five years and change later, when I had a single mastectomy due to an aggressive breast cancer. 

I feel very differently about breast retention then I ever thought I would.  I agree with those who have pointed out the problem with describing a woman's breasts as "ruined" simply because they aren't immune to the effects of time and gravity.  Forty year-old bodies do not look like twenty year-old bodies, no matter whether or not we have children, no matter how we feed those children, and also no matter how carefully we diet, how much we spend on surgery, or how diligently we work out.  Time is always going to leave a mark.

Katie8681 and CocoBird like this.
#84 of 86 Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Pretty sure it's not weaning that does it. Lol. Mine are fantastic if I've been away from my kids for a bit too long. Otherwise they are flatter than they've ever been in my life. Still fantastic because of their nurturing abilities, but flat and floppy comparatively.

I never had stretch marks on them until my milk came in and filled them up like painfully over-full, tight waterballoons.

I think it's often easier to talk about how beautiful a theoretical woman's breasts are, or to compliment a mom friend, than it is to feel that our own are ok and beautiful. But mine are awesome and do amazing things, are beautiful, and are sometimes flat like pancakes and sometimes round and full.

You know what I really love? The plunging neckline that used to look risque on me now looks sexy and appropriate. Thank you older, lower, "ruined" breasts!
CocoBird likes this.
#85 of 86 Old 11-09-2013, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a message of great hope! wink1.gif I dunno if this is the right thread for it but oh well, here goes. I've been a one-sided nurser for 1 out of the 2 years my son has been nursing. The other boob shrunk down and perked right up, giving me DRAMATIC asymmetry. Like, 2 cup size difference. And the nursing boob has been kind of sad and floppy, once my son was just nursing for comfort not calories. I have been kind of fearing Lefty would be forever way different. BUT. Over the last week we've been doing mom-led weaning (please don't judge, I'm just all nursed out) and Lefty is shrinking, not looking like an old sock!

Bodies never cease to amaze me. YMMV but I am proof that nursing and weaning may not totally shoot your nipples to your belly button.
dinahx likes this.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#86 of 86 Old 11-10-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post

I think what most on this thread are talking about as 'ruined' are breasts after weaning. My breasts are still the envy of my neighborhood, after 7.5 years of continuous nursing. However I have never weaned. So couldn't we say that *weaning* is the real perpetrator here? wink1.gif

There's hope! I have nigh on 8 years of breastfeeding under my belt, and my youngest weaned around 8.5 or 9 years ago (the date is hazy to me actually when she finally stopped completely,) and I'm still built like a little brick... uh... outhouse. too... :joy  My DH says mine are the nicest rack he's seen (of course he says that) but judging from a lot of the looks I get from other people, I'm assuming mine are still looking pretty good. :)  (I think so.)  Of course my children weaned very slowly and over long periods of time, so my breasts had time to adjust and there were no abrupt changes or shock to my breasts, just natural slow weaning with each child as the child wanted to.

I've actually been asked if I've had implants. I guess people can't believe that a woman can nurse 3 kids into toddlerhood or even preschool and have "nice" breasts, but the women from my LLL group (even the ones whose kids are all weaned and even in or done with college) all look lovely in the bust department.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page