"Have a little class and do that in the restroom!" - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You responded so well. I would have been tongue tied. You did great.
#92 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 12:33 AM

WOW. You go, momma! That was an awesome set of comebacks. I can't believe she kept coming at you instead of just walking away.

I'm in PA and have been fortunate to never encounter such a person. I can't say for sure what my reaction would be if I did.
#93 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

All of us LV gals should get together and go there for a bit of a nurse-in. I know some other AP mommas who would be more than welcome to.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#94 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 02:02 AM

i'd be glad to go (just tell me where we're going... i havent really gotten out past campus in a while)
#95 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 02:26 AM

I'm up for it too
#96 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 12:01 PM

That woman was so out of line. You responding very well - good for you! I'm impressed! It's a good thing she didn't see me at Boo at the Zoo yesterday - accidentally flashing a crowd of people!
#97 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 12:59 PM

My reply (without reading the others' first)
"Have a little class and keep your trap shut when it comes to my feeding my baby!"

"Have a little class and eat your meals in the bathroom, I don't want to see you eating out here either if my child can't!"

On edit, I LOVED your responses better than mine! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

And yes I wonder what her caring for a disabled child has to do with tea in China, she never answered your questions or replies, and then she has a PhD? Meaning she's a doctor? I thought she was a nurse?? Man she should do something with that PhD, considering she's "just" a nurse....she could make a whole lot more money!

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#98 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml41981 View Post
Maybe next time you could say, "Lady, please. You're upsetting my child. She's trying to eat. I'll be happy to discuss this with you when she is finished." Hopefully there won't be a next time.
What a great response!

And I totally agree that this woman didn't have any class. Sorry you had to deal with her at all.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#99 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 01:40 PM

Wow. I didn't realize PA didn't have laws protecting NIP'ing.

I guess I just took it for granted because I live in a NIP-friendly area/state. Glad to hear you have a senator on your side!

You women rock! Good luck with the nurse-in!

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#100 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 01:50 PM

WOWWWWW.....

i wouldv'e squirted her in the eye!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#101 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri View Post
DH's suggested responses to this:

"Piled higher and Deeper, eh?"
"They have shots for that now."
Your husband is a hoot! I think I love him.

Kudos to our OP for giving it right back to that person. I always think of the sparkling responses after the fact.
#102 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 03:21 PM

Hey, I'm going there Sat. I hope I run into her!!!! I've got a 30-35 lb. 2 yo who loves to nurse all the time, everywhere, so I KNOW I'll be nursing at some point in the trip. I've never actually experienced this... I'd be furious. What probably would come off my tongue is this:
uneducated woman: That's disgusting!
me: ok, I'm just feeding my baby, you're the one LEARING at my breasts SEXUALLY... NOW that's DISGUSTING!!!
Only one time did I have a friend mention about how i shouldn't still be nursing my kids still. I calmly told her that i'm well educated on the topic, and until she became as educated as I am, i would not discuss any of it with her, of course unless she wishes me to educate her.
What are our NIP laws in PA? I thought it was "wherever I'm allowed to be, the baby's allowed to nurse".

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#103 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 05:41 PM

I suppose at this point it's pretty redundant to suggest the comeback... "Have a little class and stop staring at my tits!" : but somehow I just cannot resist it!

So much easier to think of snappy comebacks AFTER the fact though!!!

I am so sorry you went through this craziness!!!
#104 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 05:53 PM

pa actually doesnt have any NIP laws... nothing against and nothing for. there is something in process, but i seem to recall reading somewhere that its stalled at the moment as they dont think its a big enough issue

aside from that i will say i have never had any qualms nursing wherever i am and no one has ever said anything to me about it.
#105 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 06:12 PM

A Ph.D., eh? Unbelievable, that someone could go in for an education in a healthcare field and come out apparently less informed.

Hats off to you for keeping your cool while giving her a verbal what-for! Your baby has a great mama!
#106 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post
O.M.F.G

Me: That means NOTHING to me! Oh, she isn't vaccinated either, what do you have to say about that?"

Lady: Shakes her head and leaves
LMAO
#107 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 06:59 PM

This woman's mentality ("Have a little class!") reminded of an article that I reread over the weekend, "The Nurturing Mother" by James Kimmel (another PhD )

Excerpt:
"The history of child care in Western civilization has been characterized by a pervasive assault on natural mothering and the mother's nurturing role. Breastfeeding is the only human biological function that we have attempted to replace and eliminate. But it is not breastfeeding in itself that has been disturbing in civilization. It depends on who is doing the breastfeeding.

Wet nursing, as a replacement for nursing by the natural mother, was a popular and conventional practice for thousands of years. It was not a practice that was developed to improve on nature's way of providing the newborn with sustenance, but a way of eliminating the necessity for mothers to care for their babies. It was, in many parts of the world, a major way that infants were fed from ancient times through the beginning of the twentieth century.

The substitution of a wet-nurse for the natural mother has been explained as an expression of class distinction. Breastfeeding was perceived as unseemly, animal-like, and beneath women of the upper classes. But the practice of using a wet-nurse also spread to the poorer classes. Many wet-nurses earned a good enough living to be able to hire a less expensive wet-nurse to breastfeed their own babies.

The negative perception of breastfeeding reveals, of course, the strong negative feelings toward natural mothering in civilized societies."

Understanding why she would think that way makes me feel sorry for her and such warped thinking.
You handled it WONDERFULLY!!!! I want a card to keep in my wallet now too!

Here is the whole article for those who are interested:

http://www.naturalchild.org/james_ki...ng_mother.html
#108 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 07:11 PM

Don't have time to read the whole thread but I just have to say--

Have a little class and don't tell mothers to breastfeed in the bathroom! That is so inappropriate!

She should be absolutely ashamed of herself! And she definitely should not have been allowed to become a nurse with such attitudes!!

I had to laugh when she said she had a PhD! As if that qulifies her on the subject of NIP!

Bravo to you for standing up to her! I would have been shaking with rage so hard that I wouldn't have been able to speak evenly.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#109 of 113 Old 10-30-2006, 08:21 PM
~pi

Wow, I can't believe she said that. : Way to go on keeping your cool.

I'm also in Canada and have never had any negative reactions to my NIP. I'm sure people occasionally think negatively (e.g. I got some looks when I nursed my 2 week old at my grandmother's hair salon in front of a bunch of older men and women) but no one has ever said anything.

As for the PhD, yes, nurses can have PhDs. I know two RNs who are pursuing their PhDs, one in Bioethics and one in Epidemiology.

But I don't know *anyone* who would use a graduate degree to back up their argument that a baby should eat in the bathroom. Ick.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#110 of 113 Old 10-31-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaN View Post
A doctorate in nursing does exist, but it is controversial in the field b/c it really is intended more for RNs who are educators not clinicians. It is actually an DN (doctorate of nursing), not a PhD and it deals more with theory and health education than clinical practice of nursing. I doubt, as you say, that someone who is still working as a clinician would pursue such a degree.
yeah, i seriously doubt she had a PhD. PhDs that I know are pretty crunchy and would have said, "Yeah, youre breastfeeding! Good for you!"
#111 of 113 Old 11-04-2006, 02:48 AM

See, mess like that would make me pull my mase out.

"Have some class!"
"[CENSORED],<pulls out mase>"
"AHHHHH! MY EYES! MY EYES!

You did good.

I hope I never have to experiance that because I wouldn't even be able to tell y'all about it because of the amount of profanity used.
Though I doubt someone would say some mess like that to me.
I look scary.
#112 of 113 Old 11-05-2006, 05:12 PM

I'm so amazed that people still think like that.

she's a crappy nurse.

ETA: yes, you can have a PhD in Nursing. I will say, that you usually see those focusing on research, education and theory. One of my professors recently earned hers.
#113 of 113 Old 11-05-2006, 05:18 PM

I'm so sorry that happend. I am from the west coast and live in the midwest. I swear it seems like the further east I go, the more up tight (and ignorant) people seem to be about breastfeeding. I am visiting my family in Oregon right now and the whole attitute is different (better!) than where I live. Keep doing what's best for your baby!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page