Vitamin D for moms and babies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 04-17-2003, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted in the rickets thread, but I wanted more people to see this, so I started another thread.

I have been coming to these boards for three years, under a different user name previously. I used to post a lot, but now I mostly pop in from time to time and read. I wanted to say that in case someone questions my motives because if you look at my total number of posts, it is low, and you might think, who is this woman and what is her motive.

I am very troubled by what I think looks like a knee jerk reaction by Mothering to the recommendation about vit D supplementation for breastfed babies. I am posting some links that will take you to more information on this subject from the Journal of Pediatrics excerpted on Dr. Mercola's website.

I started learning about vit D when my mom was disgnosed with osteopenia. Vit D is NOT a "true vitamin," it is a horomone precursor. And unless mom has enough, baby will not have enough. Most North Americans have vit D deficiency, African Americans in particular. This is why there has been some incidence of rickets in African American babies.

NO ONE is saying that breast milk is not the best food for babies. NO ONE is saying that formula is better than breast milk. The best way for baby to get enough Vit D is not to supplement baby (the AAP is wrong on this), it is to supplement mom. Problem is that you can take too much D, so you have to be careful.

Obviously breastmilk from a mama who eats McDonalds 24-7 is going to be better than formula. But breastmilk from a mama who eats properly is going to be even better.

It is not just rickets. Vit D plays a complex role in our body because it is a horomone precursor. And there is a commin misconception that all you need is 10 minutes of sun per day to get enough. Actually you need sunshine on particular parts of your body at particular times of day and no sunscreen. "For example, in Boston the average amount of sunlight is insufficient to produce significant vitamin D synthesis in the skin from November through February"

Here are some links. No matter what you think of Dr. Mercola, he is quoting some pretty good sources, and the information is pretty overwhelming.:

"Although experts encourage Breastfeeding, the vitamin D content of breast milk depends on the mother having adequate levels of the vitamin…….

The answer is that Vitamin D is NOT a vitamin but a steroid hormone precursor that is NOT naturally present in food. This explains why the most perfect food on the planet for humans, human breast milk, is "deficient" in vitamin D."

For more read:

http://www.mercola.com/2000/aug/27/v..._d_rickets.htm

This is general vit D information:

http://www.mercola.com/2002/feb/23/vitamin_d.htm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page