Continental Airlines Passenger!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 04-22-2003, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.canada.com/search/story.a...c-04871e6b1ec5

If you haven't read this yet - it will alternately make you LAUGH, CRY, and HURL!

Now, I am wondering what kind of recourse I have when I fly on American in a few weeks with my BFing Toddler!!!!
#2 of 55 Old 04-22-2003, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The link wouldn't work!

But if anyone harrasses you about bfing on a plane, you can always say "Well, you go tell the pilot to stop this plane RIGHT NOW and we'll get off!" This also goes for a crying baby.
#3 of 55 Old 04-22-2003, 04:47 PM

The link didn't work for me either. Can you post it again?
#4 of 55 Old 04-22-2003, 05:12 PM
Banned

#5 of 55 Old 04-22-2003, 06:13 PM

that was un-&^%$@!@*()-believable.

so lactating breasts are weapons now, eh? or is it just lactating Canadian breasts that are dangerous?
#6 of 55 Old 04-22-2003, 06:19 PM

Quote:
so lactating breasts are weapons now, eh? or is it just lactating Canadian breasts that are dangerous?
:LOL :LOL

she should have nailed him with a squirt of milk.
#7 of 55 Old 04-22-2003, 06:41 PM

This is right up there with making mothers taste EBM when passing through airport security. How ignorant can some people be??!! I would call American before my trip and find out their policy regarding bf. Let whoever you talk to know that, if it's ridiculous, you'll be calling the local TV and newspapers. The last thing they need right now is more bad publicity.
#8 of 55 Old 04-22-2003, 06:46 PM

I really can't believe how sick some people are!
#9 of 55 Old 04-22-2003, 10:05 PM

Quote:
"foreign nationals in international airspace on an international flight during a time of war."
The flight was between Houston and Vancouver, right? They would have only been in international airspace if they went via the middle of the Pacific Ocean!!

Though I do agree the diapers shouldn't be changed on the seats, the bf thing is insane.

I wonder what Air France's policy is? I'm flying them in August.
#10 of 55 Old 04-23-2003, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hhmm... A nurse-in at Continental counters nationwide maybe?

The diaper thing is tricky... those "changing shelves" are truly scary. No strap, very high, very narrow. I have braved it for a poopy diaper but stayed in my seat for wet ones in an attempt to find a reasonable balance between safety and consideration. I nurse at will and that will not change.... not for anyone. And there is NO way I would put an airline blanket over my daughters head.
#11 of 55 Old 04-23-2003, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

I have decided that I will get the flight attendants on my side to begin with: I am flying first class (WOOH!!!) using airline miles and I am going to tell the FA when I get on board that I might be BFing my daughter and would appreciate support. (Although DD probably won't BF - too many distractions.)
#12 of 55 Old 04-23-2003, 07:24 PM

#13 of 55 Old 04-23-2003, 11:00 PM
Banned

I'll be flying Continental with my nearly 2 year-old daughter shortly, and will be absolutely certain to nurse her on both takeoff and landing. If anyone complains, then I'll bare not only my boob, but my derriere as well, which they can kiss.
#14 of 55 Old 04-24-2003, 03:36 PM

Just sent a note to Customer Care, requesting a response.

Quote:
I just read an article regarding an incident that recently occurred on a Vancouver-Houston flight involving a passenger's complaint about a woman breastfeeding her four-month-old child during the flight.

http://www.canada.com/search/story.a...c-04871e6b1ec5

There are *many* things in this story that disturb me, but because I understand that there are probably several versions of what happened, I'll not comment on most of them.

One issue I must address, however, is the nursing passenger's allegation that a flight attendant told her that it is Continental's policy to ask nursing mothers to nurse their babies in the back of the airplane if anyone complains. Please confirm whether this is Continental's policy and, if so, explain the reasoning behind it. Are bottlefeeding mothers asked to do this also?

I live minutes from IAH, am a former Gold status OnePass member, and have flown Continental as my airline of choice for both business and pleasure for several years. If Continental's policy on nursing mothers is as alleged in the article linked above, my family will no longer be flying Continental, as I believe this is a ridiculous policy based on ignorance that is discriminatory and infringes on my civil rights as a nursing mother. If I were asked to stop nursing or move to the back of the plane because of another passenger's discomfort with the purely natural act of nourishing my child, I would most certainly refuse. Rather than be confronted with that situation, I would prefer to know your policy now so that I can take it into consideration when making flight arrangements in the future.

Thank you,
Melissa ****
#15 of 55 Old 04-24-2003, 04:19 PM

morgan's_mom - great letter (as usual)! Let us know if you hear anything.
#16 of 55 Old 04-25-2003, 01:37 PM

I would be absolutely furious about being told to nurse in the back of the plane! I will nurse my DD anywhere and everywehre she's hungry, and I will not cover myself up. DD doesn't like the blanket and I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of. As for diaper changes...well, I'd probably change a poopy dipe in the bathroom out of courtesy. I remember sitting in a plane where a mother didn't change her 2 year old's poopy diaper the entire flight. The smell was so horrible, that I'm sure the entire plane could smell it. Now, that would have been worth complaining about!
#17 of 55 Old 04-25-2003, 10:56 PM

To answer my own question about Air France, I e-mailed them on the 22nd, and got this reply yesterday:

"Breastfeeding being a natural gesture , there are no restrictions imposed by Air France .
We suggest that it should be done with discretion in due respect to other passengers .
We find it a good idea that for your own intimacy , you ask for a window seat when doing your seat assignment that can be made at time of reservation.
Please note that air travel within 7 days after the birth of the infant is not recommended .

[blah blah]

We congratulate you for this happy event, thank you to have chosen Air France and wish you a pleasant trip,..."

Umm, I guess I forgot to mention that my infant will be 37 months old at the time we fly!!! And I won't have a window seat, dd1 has already claimed it as hers!!
#18 of 55 Old 04-29-2003, 01:13 PM

And I suggest that other passengers have respect for my indiscreet breasts!

-------

This case of airline Nazi-ism reminded me of another story I read recently:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig3/monahan1.html

There seems to be a trend of airlines thinking that breasts are dangerous terrorist weapons or something.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#19 of 55 Old 04-30-2003, 12:58 PM

Devrock - that story is horrible!
#20 of 55 Old 05-03-2003, 05:03 PM

How appauling! I am flying Delta in 6 weeks and am off to email them about nursing my daughter. Considering all the other places we've nursed I'll pitch a fit if they try to restrict me (and thank god I'm flying with my attorney dh!).
#21 of 55 Old 05-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Banned

FYI, I just nursed my 23 month-old dd on Continental on multiple lengthy occasions during our recent flight. She's not a discreet nurser, and is as big as a large three year-old. No one made any complaint. Then again, it wasn't an international flight. Perhaps boobs only become terrorist threats when an international border is crossed.
#22 of 55 Old 05-03-2003, 11:16 PM

:LOL
#23 of 55 Old 05-08-2003, 09:36 AM

Here's the reply I got from Continental regarding my letter to them on this issue:

Dear Mrs. Zoltan:

Thank you for your comments.

While it is not Continental's policy to allow or prohibit breastfeeding [my note: what does this mean? they don't allow or prohibit--so they just have a 'make it up as you go along' policy???? wtf???]
or diaper changing on board the aircraft, when we are confronted with
fellow passengers who are offended by such activity, we have an
obligation to address this issue to prevent a disturbance in flight. Our
inflight crews are trained to offer solutions that will meet the needs of all
of our passengers and to make the best judgment they can at the time to
resolve any issues before they escalate and cause a disturbance.
Ensuring the inflight safety of all of our passengers remains our highest
priority.

Although it would be inappropriate to discuss specific details of
another passenger's experience with us, I can assure you that the matter is
being reviewed and addressed.

Thank you for your interest in Continental Airlines.

Sincerely,

Marla Daniels
Customer Care Manager
#24 of 55 Old 05-08-2003, 10:02 AM

Wow. No good. I will not be flying Continental for any reason!
#25 of 55 Old 05-08-2003, 10:13 AM

Both Continental links did not work for me. What is the name of the article? Section I can find it in so I can do my own search?

Thanks!

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#26 of 55 Old 05-08-2003, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Delta Air Lines.

Delta has no policies on the breastfeeding of infants. We do request that discretion is used.

We appreciate your support and trust your future flights will be
entirely satisfactory.

Sincerely,

Patrice Taylor
Online Customer Support Desk
Whatever discretion is!? Gee, does that mean I can't go topless on the plane? Darn. I mean, really. Most of us use discretion.
#27 of 55 Old 05-08-2003, 07:17 PM

I do not and will not use discretion. I am an overt breastfeeder. There is nothing indecent about my breasts. I am proud to be a breastfeeding mother and I refuse to hide or disguise what I am doing. I would not fly with any airline that "requested that discretion is used." You know where they can stick their discretion?

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#28 of 55 Old 05-08-2003, 09:17 PM

You know Devrock, every time you post, they come out sounding really rude and harsh. I would appreciate it if you could be a little understanding and respectful of the feelings and views of other members of this community.

With respect-
#29 of 55 Old 05-08-2003, 10:02 PM

Sorry, but the wording of that airline policy just really rubs me the wrong way. It really offends me that they seem to be implying that breastfeeding is somehow a shameful thing to do. I do not apologize for my breastfeeding. I will always do it openly and proudly. I think airlines and other businesses need to be respectful of the importance of breastfeeding and encourage mothers to do what is right for their children. You'd think they'd appreciate the fact that the children aren't screaming through the whole flight, you know?

I certainly did not mean to direct any harshness toward you or anyone else besides that airline and their archane policy.

#30 of 55 Old 05-08-2003, 11:04 PM

Fair enough. Thank you for the interpretation of your response. It helps me to understand your position. I do agree that a bfing infant is much better than a screaming one. I do think that depending upon who your seatmate is, discretion is important. Luckily it's pretty easy to do that on an airplane, due to the close quarters!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page