#61 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilliansmom View Post
They said....
Our response to your e-mail may take a little longer than usual due to
the high number of customers who have contacted us recently.
Maybe that is a good thing. Maybe it means their e-mails and voice mails are stuffed full of people calling them out on their awful behavior.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#62 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 01:39 AM

Thought I'd throw in my letter too...

"Mr. Skellon,

I am writing to express my concern with a situation described in an article from the Burlington Free Press: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a.../NEWS/61114002

You are quoted as saying: "A breast-feeding mother is perfectly acceptable on an aircraft, providing she is feeding the child in a discreet way," that doesn't bother others, Skellon said. "She was asked to use a blanket just to provide a little more discretion, she was given a blanket, and she refused to use it, and that's all I know."

To say that it's okay for a woman to breastfeed her child as long as she's "discreet" puts a subjective and unnecessary constraint on what is a natural, healthy way to give your growing child the best food possible.

Please reconsider your policy in this matter and make it clear to your customers that breastfeeding is welcome on your airplanes -- no strings attached.

Thank you for your time,
..."

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#63 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 02:42 AM

i just wrote my letter. its kind of long so let me just tell ya'll my basics. i sent him links to the WHO's website's breastfeeding pages. and i basically said if this story makes even one new mother decide not to breastfeed, based on not wanting to "offend" anyone the way the flight attendant was "offended," that that was one child that would not be receiving the most healthy and beneficial food he can get. that our society needs to show the utmost support for breastfeeding mothers, in order to have more women make the choice to breastfeed.

also, paul skellon's auto-message saying he was away (if you email him) gives out the number to his blackberry:

480 286 3815 (for urgent calls!)

i would have to say that this is pretty urgent! oh yeah, i also admonished him for not giving this the attentionn that it deserves. this happened over one month ago!!

i'm so proud of everyone!

~veezie~ treehugger.gif intactlact.gifjammin.gif mama to julien (1.6.06) geek.gif, lennon (2.15.08) nut.gif, & triton (12.20.09) blahblah.gif. expecting #4 (5.2012) 2ndtri.gif

#64 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 02:52 AM

i like reading the letters wrote!!
heres mine:

Dear Sir,

I am happy to say that I have never been a customer of Freedom/Delta airlines and that I never will be. As a breastfeeding mother I, and only I, have the discretion to feed my child how, when, and where I want. I want to remind you that we live in a democratic society with this great country being governed by the constitution and the bill of rights. We are NOT in a country where a flight attendent or airline is able to tell us what to do and you just tried to do that by kicking a breastfeeding mother of off your flight.

My husband is employed by the USAF and works for our freedoms each day, is ready to fight whenever called. Your so called policy is one of disbain, belittlement, and ignorance. By saying that a woman can only breastfeed her child while that child is under a blanket belittles the very fact that a child is HUMAN and the breast provides food.

I encourage you to rethink and revise your policy considering you have made a huge mistake. I also look forward to your public apology and double the compensation of whatever is awarded to the mother.

Danielle M Hinderliter-- military wife and breastfeeding mother

i for one know that when i fly i have pretty set plans that day...including plans of feeding, meeting people eating etc and can't IMAGINE how i would get through everything being thrown out of whack from a whack attendent!! ooohhh weee i don't even want to imagine!!!
#65 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 03:19 AM

wow, ladies. some very powerful letters. i can't wait to see what all happens. and please keep me posted when they issue the public apology, which they should!!!!
FOR LIFE!!!
#66 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 03:36 AM

I cross posted this one in News & Current Events. I figured I could help spread the outrage. I also agree that if this had been a newborn, there would have been no issues. The nerve!!!

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#67 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 10:06 AM

Here is my letter to Delta. I have emailed it, and I am also going to snail-mail it so they get to see it twice (email is soooo easy to just delete). I hope everyone who has been following this thread will add their voice by sending an email and a letter as well.

To whom it may concern:

Our family of four will be planning a flight from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale sometime this winter. I am breastfeeding our infant son, and I do not use a blanket when nursing in public because he will not nurse with his face covered up. I read in the news today that Delta Airlines recently had a passenger removed from a plane for refusing to use a blanket while breastfeeding her child. Because of this, I do not believe that I can consider Delta as a possibility when making our upcoming travel plans. Our son won't nurse with a blanket over his face, and I certainly don't want to be kicked off one of your planes for nursing him, so unless I hear that Delta Airlines has implemented a policy that is more family-friendly, we'll have to fly on another airline.

Besides losing my family as potential passengers, here are some further reasons why Delta may want to consider being more accommodating to passengers with nursing children:

•The American Academy of Pediatrics recognizes breastfeeding as the best way to feed a baby. (For confirmation of this, please visit http://www.aap.org/healthtopics/breastfeeding.cfm) Breastfeeding passengers are not trying to cause trouble; they are just trying to provide the best care for their child during their trip. Delta Airlines should support parents in this effort.

•When a breastfeeding mother is exposed to germs, she makes antibodies and passes them on to her baby via her breast milk, which will help a baby to fight illness from exposure to bacteria and viruses in the airport and on the plane.

•Breastfeeding is the best way to keep a nursing baby happy on a plane, and most airline passengers would prefer to travel with a happy baby onboard than with a baby who is unhappy and crying.

•A baby who is accustomed to breastfeeding will not suddenly be just as happy to have a bottle just because he or she is on an airplane. It is not a simple thing for a nursing mother to "just give the baby a bottle" instead.

•A nursing mother has a medical need to have milk removed from her breasts every two to four hours. Not doing so may cause her to experience engorgement, plugged milk ducts, and even a dangerous breast infection called mastitis. The best way to remove milk from breasts is with a hungry baby.

•It is very common for babies to not be willing to nurse with a blanket over their face. They want to be able to see their mother and look around. Most adults would not want to eat lunch with blanket over their face either. A mother is the person who knows best whether or not her baby will tolerate being under a blanket while nursing. And a blanket is not necessary for discretion; a mother can breastfeed with minimal breast exposure without using a blanket. It is absolutely not Delta Airlines' place to attempt to force a nursing mother to cover her baby's head with a blanket while nursing.

•Breastfeeding is not something shameful that needs to be covered up. It is not a sexual act, it is not an indecent exposure, and it is not dirty. Treating breastfeeding in this way displays a very backward attitude on the part of Delta Airlines. The only thing shameful about this incident is that a mother was harassed and discriminated against for doing nothing more than caring for her child in the best way possible.

I sincerely hope that Delta Airlines will take advantage of the opportunity to turn this negative incident into a positive change by adopting an airline-wide policy allowing mothers to breastfeed their children in their seats, both on planes and in waiting areas, in whatever manner they choose, with or without a blanket.

Sincerely,
(me !)

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#68 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 11:37 AM

BTW USAirways is planning on purchasing Delta and the Delta name will take over.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#69 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
Comments like this just ENRAGE me!!!

People are so freaking clueless. And the most frustrating part is that it is that it seems like unless you really have BTDT nobody really understands how absurd this way of thinking is.

Grrr.
Ditto. DH just sent me the link. I am beyond enraged about this incident!

Partner to DH geek.gif and Former WOHM, now SAHM dizzy.gif to Sensory & ADHD DD (9), with DD (4) and DS (2)nocirc.gif winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

#70 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 01:27 PM

If you're sending complaints to Delta, make sure to include your SkyMiles number if you have one! I imagine they might respond more quickly to "their" regular customers.

I also included my Delta SkyMiles number in my letter to the CEO of Mesa Airlines - the various regional carriers that are part of Mesa are a major codeshare partner for Delta. As someone who lives within Freedom Airlines' area of operations, I let it be known that this Delta frequent flyer will not be flying Freedom any time soon!

I am not yet a mother, but I am disgusted. Had I been on that flight, I'd have done my best to stand up for the rights of this woman and baby. If it can happen to someone else, it could happen to me someday.
#71 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeezieTG View Post
i just wrote my letter. its kind of long so let me just tell ya'll my basics. i sent him links to the WHO's website's breastfeeding pages. and i basically said if this story makes even one new mother decide not to breastfeed, based on not wanting to "offend" anyone the way the flight attendant was "offended," that that was one child that would not be receiving the most healthy and beneficial food he can get. that our society needs to show the utmost support for breastfeeding mothers, in order to have more women make the choice to breastfeed.

also, paul skellon's auto-message saying he was away (if you email him) gives out the number to his blackberry:

480 286 3815 (for urgent calls!)

i would have to say that this is pretty urgent! oh yeah, i also admonished him for not giving this the attentionn that it deserves. this happened over one month ago!!

i'm so proud of everyone!
His phone went straight to voicemail.
#72 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 03:52 PM

Here's todays paper:
http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/52202.html

The reason unfortunately for the parallel with attendants serving drinks on a flight, is that after being visibly drunk on an airplane a man was served 2 additional bottles of Jack Daniels - then drove here to Santa Fe where he made a U-Turn on the freeway and drove the wrong way killing a family of 5 leaving one 15year old daughter alive.

Here's my letter to the editor at our local paper:

I totally agree that this flight attendant should lose her job over this "fit" as you've described. Her personal perversion of womens breasts distracted her from doing her job and potentally endangering other passengers on the flight.

What this attendant has done; and by extension the airline has done by not having a policy in place which upholds the law, is a violation of a breastfeeding mothers rights. All breastfeeding mothers, children and families will suffer from this kind of arrogance and ignorance if left unchanged.

There is no place for demanding 'discretion' from breastfeeding mothers. Because there is no way to define discretion. By the flight attendants standards - even nursing a baby is indiscreet. If someone doesn't like seeing a breastfeeding mother - they simply must look away - that is the true definition of discretion:

dis-creet  /[di-skreet] Pronunciation Key

–adjective
1. judicious in one's conduct or speech, esp. with regard to respecting privacy or maintaining silence about something of a delicate nature; prudent; circumspect.

The attendant did not use discretion. She was malicious in her treatment of this family. A breastfeeding mother is in a vulnerable position and should be protected not ostercized by society. Being made to feel as though you are being lewd or inappropriate is an injustice to families - it is a humiliating expeirence.

I had a similar expeirence at a Las Vegas, NV hotel. Alternatively, the company I had a problem with apologized and apologized they did not make excuses for the bad behavior of their employees. At my request they changed their employee handbooks to contain NV state law on the subject of protecting breastfeeding mothers.

Delta and Freedom Air (Mesa) should feel the full force of the law for insisting on standing behind this outrageous behavior. They should also feel the effects of community outrage - no mother is safe on these airlines until their policy changes.
#73 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
They should fire this flight attendant at the very least. She abused her power and I would like to see the news cover THAT along with stories on the breastfeeding in public rights.

I am horrified that my family could be subjected to a flight attendant who could be having a pissy day and just decide to throw us off a flight for some foolish reason. Something is VERY wrong with that.
#74 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 07:23 PM

LADIES!!!!!!! Could everyone who is discussing this and getting out there for the nurse in and throwing support at us be more amazing???? NO!
I want to thank each of you that has taken the time out of your days to stop, write on here, write to the airlines, write to your friends, etc. i am renewed by each entry i read and inspired to keep it up. truly inspired. so thank all of you for reaching out to each other and to me and to the airlines and to the public. we are doing something here that is important and i feel lucky to be a part of it and lucky to have all the women on this page to fall back on when i am frustrated.
My one request is to keep the letters to the airlines coming, both Freedom and Delta. The latest quote in the ABQ news last night was that i was not kicked off the plane for breastfeeding, but actually for not accepting the blanket. nice spin, folks.
as for the questions surrounding Good Morning America; we will confirm with them this week, but actually we will be doing it, if it happens, early next week. i will be doing fox news, sometime between five and six tomorrow (friday) evening. i have a little fear over the approach they will take, and tomorrow will probably be through the roof with anxiety!!!!!!
love to all of you and your children,
Emily Gillette
#75 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 07:43 PM

Thanks for stopping in, Emily! Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#76 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 07:46 PM

Cool, Emily!

I read the NM article about you, on a great picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoriver View Post
The latest quote in the ABQ news last night was that i was not kicked off the plane for breastfeeding, but actually for not accepting the blanket. nice spin, folks.
Um, what's next, kicking people off planes for not taking the peanuts?
#77 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 07:49 PM

Hey Emily!

I'm in NM, let me know if there is anything locally going on that needs attention, or if you do the local news anywhere!

I'm so sorry for what happened to you and your little one. it is truly disgusting and heartbreaking that this kind of thing goes on.

on, mamas! (that's my first time using the new icon!)

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#78 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 07:54 PM

Hey Emily! So sorry you had to go through that!

On a side note, my mom's bf, the pilot for Mesa/Freedom said he was sure that was what they were going to say - that you were kicked off for not following "orders" - um...great, so anyone with an agenda can toss out orders -"you, move to the back" - "you, pretty lady, move to the front" and if you don't comply, you get tossed?? Um - no...not when that person's actions are discriminatory.......
#79 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 08:58 PM

Just wanted to share my letter ... and a paraphrase of the response (don't want to violate UA by posting the whole response)

Dear Mr. CEO:
I recently was made aware of a situation occurring on October 13th in which a mother was kicked off Delta Flight 6160 for breastfeeding her child. In this incident, the mother was breastfeeding her child when a flight attendant insisted she cover her nursing child with a blanket because the flight attendant was offended by the site of a woman breastfeeding. Upon the mother declining the blanket, the flight attendant removed the mother and her family from the flight.

You should be aware that breastfeeding laws in both in the flight’s state of origination and state of destination, as well as laws across the nation, guarantee the right of a woman to breastfeed her child in any public place. Additionally, these laws protect mothers from indecent exposure laws quite simply because breastfeeding is not indecent—no matter how much or how little skin is exposed. A mother has no obligation to hide her child or herself under a blanket while she is nursing, and many children will not nurse under a blanket.

You must train your employees to respect the rights of nursing mothers and children.

Leading organizations whose mission it is to promote health and/or the well-being of children such as the American Association of Pediatricians, the World Health Organization and the Canadian Society of Pediatricians all recommend that mothers breastfeed their babies and children. The WHO and CSP both recommend that children breastfeed for a minimum of two years. Breastfeeding helps to reduce health risks for both babies and mothers including but not limited to risk of necrotizing enterocolitis, multiple sclerosis, autoimmune thyroid disease, several types of cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes mellitus, adulthood obesity, adult onset cardiovascular disease and so much more. Additionally, breastfeeding is of particular importance during take off and landing as it not only calms children but also helps their ears adjust to the changing pressures of altitude.

I am a frequent traveler and almost always begin and end my trips with Mesa Air Group flights. I am also a nursing mother who never nurses her child hiding under a blanket. Until I am assured that your flight attendants will respect the rights of breastfeeding mothers and children and respect current legislation regarding breastfeeding in public, I am simply uncomfortable making travel arrangements using your company.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding this matter.

Sincerely,
Snowbunny

----
The paraphrased response:

Mr. CEO "fully agrees" with me. The flight attendant and the spokesperson [who was quoted as saying a mom must be discreet] were in error. They have no policy hindering mothers from breastfeeding, and this was the first time an issue like this one has arisen.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#80 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoriver View Post
LADIES!!!!!!! Could everyone who is discussing this and getting out there for the nurse in and throwing support at us be more amazing???? NO!
I want to thank each of you that has taken the time out of your days to stop, write on here, write to the airlines, write to your friends, etc. i am renewed by each entry i read and inspired to keep it up. truly inspired. so thank all of you for reaching out to each other and to me and to the airlines and to the public. we are doing something here that is important and i feel lucky to be a part of it and lucky to have all the women on this page to fall back on when i am frustrated.
My one request is to keep the letters to the airlines coming, both Freedom and Delta. The latest quote in the ABQ news last night was that i was not kicked off the plane for breastfeeding, but actually for not accepting the blanket. nice spin, folks.
as for the questions surrounding Good Morning America; we will confirm with them this week, but actually we will be doing it, if it happens, early next week. i will be doing fox news, sometime between five and six tomorrow (friday) evening. i have a little fear over the approach they will take, and tomorrow will probably be through the roof with anxiety!!!!!!
love to all of you and your children,
Emily Gillette
Emily- is it ok if I use quotes from your post to inform people about what's going on? I'm posting on several forums. Unfortunately a lot of the news ones have complete (UA violation) on them. But I noticed a few other familiar names on some of them. LOL!! Thanks so much for stopping in! You have a LOT of support behind you!
#81 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 09:25 PM

I just wanted to add that unfortunately I have read posts (PM if you want to know more) from other FA from United Airlines AND Continental that seem to support what the Freedom FA did! So, ladies, be aware, it's NOT just the one (two) airlines we have to worry about!!
#82 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 09:26 PM

The group Moms Rising is on board with this effort! They started a petition and they're asking mamas to share breastfeeding tales. I'll have my eye on this up-and-coming organization, because I like what they've been doing so far!

#83 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 09:27 PM

What about promom and Hathor? I have emailed promom a few things and have gotten no response (and they haven't updated their 3ma in a while!) does anyone know what's up??
#84 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 09:29 PM

btw, is anyone else floored by the negative responses in news story comment areas and on forums other than MDC? I can't believe so many people have a problem with just looking away if it really bothers them that much. Jeez. :

#85 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
btw, is anyone else floored by the negative responses in news story comment areas and on forums other than MDC? I can't believe so many people have a problem with just looking away if it really bothers them that much. Jeez. :
the same kind of comments happened with the victoria secrets incident to......which is why bf in public is a fight everday.......and why we need to keep fighting for better laws in some states.
#86 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 09:35 PM

CRAP! I just bought tickets on a Delta flight to go home for Xmas. I guess I should be prepared to fight while nursing my daughter? Grrrr! This is outrageous. I almost hope they kick me off the plane so I can raise hell too. Thank you, Emily, for standing up for all of us breastfeeding moms. You're an inspiration to us all.

It turns out that moderation is the key to good parenting.  Too bad we aren't allowed to talk about that here.

#87 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissabob View Post
I just wanted to add that unfortunately I have read posts (PM if you want to know more) from other FA from United Airlines AND Continental that seem to support what the Freedom FA did! So, ladies, be aware, it's NOT just the one (two) airlines we have to worry about!!
Just wanted to add that I'm both an FA (Northwest regional jets) and a BF mom. I think it's horrible what happened! I love to see other mamas BF on my flights. Not only are the babies/toddlers much happier, it is also the safest way to hold a child during takeoff and landing, according to the FA manual (child held diagonally with the face against the soft part of mom's shoulder).
#88 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandc_hammond View Post
Just wanted to add that I'm both an FA (Northwest regional jets) and a BF mom. I think it's horrible what happened! I love to see other mamas BF on my flights. Not only are the babies/toddlers much happier, it is also the safest way to hold a child during takeoff and landing, according to the FA manual (child held diagonally with the face against the soft part of mom's shoulder).
Does NW have a policy in place? I'm trying to remember but I *THINK* it was NW (and some smaller companies they use) that I flew back and forth from OR to SD and they were WONDERFUL. DD bf a LOT in the plane and they were super nice. Let's see.. I think SkyBlue was the smaller planes.. ugh now I have to figure this out.

Ok, it had to have been United Airlines and SkyWest. (I know the SkyWest for sure- they're the small commuters we have).
#89 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 09:52 PM

Just wondering something here. All the people who have always received positive attitude about BF while flying: how old were your babies??

My youngest is the only one who has wanted to BF for so long, and negative looks and comments have increased the older he gets. I believe that if her baby was not almost 2, they would not have made such a big stink about it.
#90 of 172 Old 11-16-2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polihaupt View Post
Just wondering something here. All the people who have always received positive attitude about BF while flying: how old were your babies??

My youngest is the only one who has wanted to BF for so long, and negative looks and comments have increased the older he gets. I believe that if her baby was not almost 2, they would not have made such a big stink about it.
When I first flew to SD dd was just over a year..when I came back she was 20 mos (but looked much older since she's "big" and I'm very short!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page