The latest Burlington Free Press Report:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a.../NEWS/61117009
#122 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OME Emily!!

It is absolutely OUTRAGEOUS!!

I am so sorry they are doing this to you!!
#123 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 04:18 PM

I just emailed my local news station in Minnesota asking that they cover the story, even if it's just reporting what the Burlington Free Press has already covered.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#124 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't write an email before because I caught wind of this late in the game -- but now that we know the airline is lying, I am steamed! Where should we mail to now? ANd i am afraid to write now becasue I am so mad -- anybody have any ideas to share on what to say? I really want to give them a piece of my mind.
#125 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 04:25 PM

I'm SO sorry this is happening to you. I hope they find a way to rectify this situation. This is BAD!:
#126 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 04:27 PM

Emily, I have shared your response with a EC yahoo group I am a part of, this has been a OT discussion there.
#127 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 04:31 PM

Emily,

I am so sorry. I know that the lie and the implications of your character are worse than the original incident. I have several years of experience on the NIP front lines. I worked on the Starbucks incident and webcampaign a few years ago (www.nurseatstarbucks.com) and two years ago I organized a 100+mama nurse-in on Capitol Hill for New York Rep. Carolyn Maloney's office when they were trying once again to pass The Breastfeeding Protection Act. If you will contact me privately, I would like to put you in touch with an aide from her office. Since you were on a Vt to NY flight perhaps her office might want to weigh in on this as well. (the govt has bailed out the airlines with our taxes enough times) My email address is wchappel@myexcel.com.

Warmly,

Lorrie

Could someone send me a link to the nationwide nurse in info on this. I want to see if anything is planned for Baltimore Washington Airport since I live close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoriver View Post
i got a call today from the reporter in vermont, who read me the quote from freedom. i want to be very clear with all of you. i was NEVER invited back onto the plane. i begged to be let back on, i cried about getting stuck in burlington. i have witnesses who gave me their names, who SAW the entire conversation between me and the COPILOT (not the pilot). i am so absolutey crushed that they would try to turn this into MY fault and MY choice and i need to be so clear with all of you women that the latest statmenet out of Freedom is the most horendous thing for me, emotionally, to date.
This will all come out in the wash. I gave the reporter in Burlington the names of the witnesses and she is out tracking them down. So, keep your eyes on the burlington free press, and help me get the word out that these people have LIED and soiled my word and i am devastated. i can't express more passionately the feelings that this has brought up.
again, after that rant, i want to thank you all for the bottom of my heart. today is a tough day for me. but, more than ever, i feel this Fox interview tonight is crucial. They cannot get away with lying about the incident. awful.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Emily Gillette
#128 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 04:39 PM

Mr. Skellon answered my email...the man must have been working overtime to respond. He used my name, as well and a few sections were materially different from the quotes used in the various news articles, so I think he or his staff at least took the time to read my email. Most of it was part of the "Mesa Air Group supports the rights of nursing mothers blah blah blah" and "we do not ever expect a mother to cover her child's head with a blanket" but it also included something along the lines of, "the flight attendant in question is young and inexperienced".

So? I don't feel particularly sorry for the flight attendant. Neither age nor inexperience excuse what she did. Hopefully the next time she sees a nursing mother on a plane, she'll think twice before letting personal discomfort lead to an incident of this nature. Her job is to keep her passengers safe and to provide good customer service as a representative of the airline, and she failed miserably at the latter.

Mr. Skellon also indicated that the Captain of the flight asked the family to re-board. Well, that one's been debunked according to Emily herself. If there are witnesses to that effect, I think it's important that this statement be refuted. Blaming the victims here is not a classy move. :

I know that Mesa Air Group is now doing PR damage control, but it wouldn't have been hard to just say, "We screwed up. We're sorry and we're going to work to fix it so that this won't happen to another family in the future."
#129 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 04:42 PM

I have been outraged at this entire situation. As soon as I learned of it, I found Paul Skellon's email and wrote him. I have NOT recieved a reply (except an automatic one saying that he was out of the office).

I also filed a complaint with Delta. I have not heard anything back from them either.

Being the "geek" that I am, Yesterday, I actually looked through the entire 57 pages of Delta's "rules of carriage" (I could not find anything like that for Freedom airlines or Mesa). There was NOTHING relating to nursing at all that I saw. NOTHING about being "discreet". However, It did state that any passenger could be removed from an aircraft for failure to comply w/ the company's rules or for failure to comply w/ the request of a crew member. But, a flight attendant has no legal right to overstep the state law.
So, I am unsure as to why Delta employees are stating that nursing must be done discreetly. That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of a large company doing, in light of recent media attention. You would think that they would be "backpedaling" all over the place!!

Thankfully, the airlines are not going to be able to get away w/ lying to Emily (Hi!). I am so glad that you have gotten an attorney and have names of eye witnesses to the incident. I'm sure that the reporters are all too eager to jump on this case!!!

Anyhow...I am very interested in what happens in this case and what settlment is concluded.

What show is Emily appearing on tonight? I really want to watch!
#130 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 04:50 PM

This makes me angry and I can't even form sentences. I'm not sure if I am going to protest at my local Delta ticket counter.

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
#131 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 05:07 PM

WOW! I thought I was angry before, but now after actually having SPOKEN with someone who CALLED ME AND LIED, I am even angrier. This situation really is outrageous!

Go, Momma, go! I'm glad you're fighting.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#132 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 05:09 PM

What time is the FOX interview tonight? I don't have time to read the whole thread and I can't find it - I have two puking kids! (Maybe I should book them a flight on Freedom? I'm sure the flight attendants would have fun with that )
#133 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 05:39 PM

eclipse -

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoriver View Post
as for the questions surrounding Good Morning America; we will confirm with them this week, but actually we will be doing it, if it happens, early next week. i will be doing fox news, sometime between five and six tomorrow (friday) evening. i have a little fear over the approach they will take, and tomorrow will probably be through the roof with anxiety!!!!!!
love to all of you and your children,
Emily Gillette
#134 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 05:44 PM

If it's between 5 and 6 that is John Gibson. Hmm. Not liking that.
#135 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 06:16 PM

I have a close relative who knows Paul Skellon and had nothing but bad things to say about the guy. Apparently, he is a pretty seedy character who frequents some really shady places....From her point of view he, and the CEO, are nott to be trusted. If you're interested, google Mesa Air Group, CEO, etc and you'll find a TON of anti-Mesa/Freedom websites....
#136 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 06:23 PM

National Nurse-In Scheduled! Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:16 pm
In solidarity with Emily Gillette...

...nursing mothers and other lactivists across the nation will be meeting up at 10am on Tuesday November 21st in front of Delta ticket counters (or any counters owned by Delta's parent company Mesa-Air Group, including US Air and United) for the first National Nurse In!!!!!!!!

Because more education is needed to prevent mothers from encountering this kind of discrimination. It's about time nursing mothers are protected at the federal level. Let Vermont lead the nation!

Vermont’s Public Accommodations Law, 9 V.S.A. 4502, reads as follows:
Sec. 4502. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a mother may breastfeed her child in any place of public accommodation in which the mother and child would otherwise have a legal right to be. (Note-it says nothing about "discretion")

I'm looking looking for other NM moms who want to participate.

P.S. I'm not nursing anymore but still want to show up in solidarity.

familybed2.gifChristine, Registered Nurse, Army wife of my favorite soldier; David, kiss.gif, Mommy to Audrey-7 Rainbow.gif and Matthew-6jog.gif.  Expecting #3 around 8/15/2011joy.gif  
#137 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 06:35 PM

Wow -
Just - wow!

Emily - that's just awful. I will continue to spread the word about this lie. They have not just personally attacked you - they have personally attacked a whole community and you are having to bear the brunt of it.

Please take comfort in the fact that we are here for you and that we will not let this pass quietly - you have a tough fight ahead of you but you are not alone. I will fiercely protect your integrity and your rights as I know many women here will do the same.
#138 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 06:44 PM

Good afternoon, mamas!

Emily, welcome to MDC!

Since we have some newer members, I would like to take a few minutes to remind everyone of the rules of the board.

Thank you so, so much for not namecalling. I don't think I've had to ask a single person to edit for namecalling, and if ever a situation called for, it's this one.

Just a friendly reminder that you may not post private emails, even snippets, without the express permission of the author. You can read more about MDC's copyright policy here.

Also, you may not post to invite members to discuss or comment in other communities. We want MDC to remain a place of support! You can read the User Agreement in its entirity here.

Finally, you all rock! If we weren't in the middle of nowhere, hours from an airport, I'd be right along with you on Tuesday.

Peace!
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#139 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 06:50 PM

I just wrote an email to NM governor Richardson about this situation.

P.S. Sorry for the infractions I've committed. I got all caught up in the excitement.

familybed2.gifChristine, Registered Nurse, Army wife of my favorite soldier; David, kiss.gif, Mommy to Audrey-7 Rainbow.gif and Matthew-6jog.gif.  Expecting #3 around 8/15/2011joy.gif  
#140 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
[QUOTE]...in front of Delta ticket counters (or any counters owned by Delta's parent company Mesa-Air Group, including US Air and United) for the first National Nurse In!!!!!!!! [QUOTE]

I'm not sure who sent out this press release, but it's incorrect. Mesa does not own Delta or US Air or United. Mesa owns Freedom. I think it looks bad that these press releases are going out with incorrect information...but I'm just trying to help!

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#141 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosaur_Mommy View Post
I just wrote an email to NM governor Richardson about this situation.

P.S. Sorry for the infractions I've committed. I got all caught up in the excitement.
Honestly, no apologies are needed at all. I am absolutely thrilled with all the awesome work you mamas have done, and you've done it with grace and style. I just thought a friendly reminder would be helpful.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#142 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=Kate&Joey;6565045][QUOTE]...in front of Delta ticket counters (or any counters owned by Delta's parent company Mesa-Air Group, including US Air and United) for the first National Nurse In!!!!!!!!
Quote:

I'm not sure who sent out this press release, but it's incorrect. Mesa does not own Delta or US Air or United. Mesa owns Freedom. I think it looks bad that these press releases are going out with incorrect information...but I'm just trying to help!

You might want to post that on the other thread if you haven't already (but I looked back a couple of pages and didn't see it).

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#143 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_duckie View Post
I know that Mesa Air Group is now doing PR damage control, but it wouldn't have been hard to just say, "We screwed up. We're sorry and we're going to work to fix it so that this won't happen to another family in the future."
Mesa Air Group, like most other companies would do, is primarily responding for damage control purposes. If Emily hadn't been so brave to take this up with the airlines, I'm fully confident that this wouldn't have ever been a blip on MAG's radar. I bet they would have left her in Vermont and not thought twice about it.

And of course they are going to spin it so that it wasn't the company's fault. They are going to blame it on the newness and youth of the FA, not their poor and incomplete training practices. They are going to try to say it was Emily's fault for not accepting their reboarding offer (even though that offer didn't even exist).

I'm not trying to be bitter, but rather realistic, as my dh spent many years as a pilot for MAG. Our family is fully aware of how this company truly operates. I'm hoping that MAG learns from this situation to be proactive rather than reactive in creating a corporate culture of decency and respect for its passengers and employees. A girl can dream, right?

Strength to you Emily.
#144 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
National Nurse-In Scheduled! Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:16 pm
In solidarity with Emily Gillette...

...nursing mothers and other lactivists across the nation will be meeting up at 10am on Tuesday November 21st in front of Delta ticket counters (or any counters owned by Delta's parent company Mesa-Air Group, including US Air and United) for the first National Nurse In!!!!!!!!

Because more education is needed to prevent mothers from encountering this kind of discrimination. It's about time nursing mothers are protected at the federal level. Let Vermont lead the nation!

Vermont’s Public Accommodations Law, 9 V.S.A. 4502, reads as follows:
Sec. 4502. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a mother may breastfeed her child in any place of public accommodation in which the mother and child would otherwise have a legal right to be. (Note-it says nothing about "discretion")
YOWCH! This info is incorrect.

Delta Connections, United Express, and US Airways express are offer regional flights OPERATED BY MESA GROUP. Mesa Group IS NOT the "parent company" of Delta and United! PLEASE DON'T RELEASE that statement it is wrong.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#145 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 07:34 PM

Thank you for the correction. I have copied this information in a few places since I had no idea what the relations were between Delta & Mesa...going to correct it now. Thanks
#146 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 08:06 PM

Just put up a new thread with a press release. Use it as you wish.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#147 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 08:10 PM

I LOVED the story, Emily! I thought it was perfect.

My seven-year-old watched and said, "That's stupid. Why would anyone try to hide a baby under a blanket. I see milkers (our word for breasts) all the time and it doesn't even matter."

#148 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 08:21 PM

Just watched the interview on Fox News. Emily did a great job of recounting the facts of the incident. John Gibson mentioned the Freedom Airlines statement and the reboarding offer and both Emily and her lawyer had the opportunity to expose it as a lie.

Gibson seemed surprised when Emily said that the FA was the one who was offended by her bfing. He also wished her and her attorney luck. I was nervous Fox would spin the story and somehow side with the airlines.

Oh, and in the intro, he said something like, we hear all the time about people being thrown off an airplane because of making threats, etc., but our next guest was kicked off a plane for doing something millions of women around the country do everyday - breastfeeding her baby.
#149 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 08:27 PM

I'm going to write about this on my blog www.mamaknowsbreast.com
On Tuesday, I'd love to hear stories from moms around the country who take part. Send me an email at mamaknowsbreast@yahoo.com Thanks, Andi
#150 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylittlevowels View Post

Sorry this happened to you Emily. It's absolutely unacceptable.
I couldn't have said it better. s to you!

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page