Woman alleges she was kicked off flight for bfing - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightbrainroot View Post

So, I am unsure as to why Delta employees are stating that nursing must be done discreetly. That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of a large company doing, in light of recent media attention. You would think that they would be "backpedaling" all over the place!!

I'm a Delta flight attendant (albeit a furloughed one). I have never in my experience had anyone ask a breastfeeding mother to cover up. I would never have done that myself. And I'm also a bfing mother.
I took a look through our in-flight manual and there's nothing in there about breastfeeding. I didn't remember there being anything, but I checked just to be sure.
So there's obviously no policy. It was never an issue to me since bfing is a normal part of life in my little world so I never even thought to ask about it during training. But like I just said, I've never experienced a bfing mother get told to cover up or even approached.
I also got onto the company-wide forums and posted there. I even linked them to here. Not too much response other than someone saying Delta will not make anymore public statements because of the lawsuit. Not too sure what that means, though. What difference would that make?
Anyway, just wanted to speak up that this isn't across the board among flight attendants. There are many-o-flight attendants sitting in lavatories pumping milk for their babes.
Good job to Emily tonight on Fox. Gotta go bf DS now!!

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#152 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mesa Air Group Comments on Breastfeeding Incident

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4477112&EDATE=

PHOENIX, Nov. 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Mesa Air Group, Inc.
(Nasdaq: MESA) would like to issue the following clarification following
media reports regarding difficulties experienced by a passenger aboard a
Freedom Airlines flight. The statement by our Company spokesman on November
14, 2006 incorrectly described the Company's position regarding passengers'
breastfeeding their children on Company aircraft. "So there is no
confusion, I would like to let folks know that we firmly support mothers'
right to nurse their children on board our aircraft. We have no company
policies whatsoever that hinder breastfeeding in any way," said Jonathan
Ornstein, Mesa's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "In this instance, a
flight attendant who was relatively new to her job made an unfortunate and
incorrect decision. We would like to again offer our apologies to the
family involved in this incident and reassure our passengers and the
traveling public that this matter has been addressed as a training
opportunity for all of our frontline employees," continued Mr. Ornstein.
"As the father of two children, I understand the sensitive nature of this
incident and would like to express my commitment to educating our employees
on this topic."

(that's all there was on this topic. See link for full press release which includes a bunch of company information after this)

Janice
#153 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 09:42 PM

ooops
#154 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 10:01 PM

We've started a yahoo group to hold all the pertinent documents.

We'll put the press releases there and also have a media kit available over the weekend. I would encourage all local organizers to join to have access to those documents - they'll be a good jumping off point for you.

groups.yahoo.com/group/lactivism

at this point, anyone can join.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#155 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 11:41 PM

I emailed Paul Skellon and he has not responded to me. I also emailed the CEO of Mesa, Jonathan Ornstein and received a brief email from him...

This is what I wrote:
Dear Jonathan,
After reading up on you, I have learned that you are a highly successful leader. You have many accomplishments and I understand that you have helped many of your employees become successful as well.
It is with this understanding that I have decided to write to you.
I recently read an article that details how a flight attendant on a Freedom Air flight, one of your affiliates, had a nursing mother ejected from a flight. As a business man, I am sure you understand how this can cause a problem. Not only does an action like this upset the woman (and child) directly affected, but it becomes offensive to countless other nursing moms. It becomes yet another reason for some moms to stop nursing for fear of public shame. And it incites anger in scores of women that proudly breastfeed their children, many of which use your airlines to take family vacations. And as you may or may not know, breastfeeding is the preferred method of feeding recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization, so supporting breastfeeding is very important for the health of our future generations.
As I am sure you are well aware--and if you weren't aware, you need to be--that breastfeeding is not a crime. In fact, most states, including New Mexico, Arizona, and Vermont protect a woman's right to breastfeed in public. They are also exempt from public indecency laws and are not required to use a blanket, or anything else, to cover up.
As a businesswoman and nursing mother, I am sincerely asking you to think of this matter as a business matter. I feel that you need to remedy this situation from a corporate level. It is your duty as a leader to make breastfeeding in public (and on flights) safe, comfortable, and normal. You can start by making an apology for this situation and making sure that every single employee that works for you knows the law and knows that as a corporation, you support the nursing mother.
After reading about the great successes you have made in your industry, I am confident that you make this situation right.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to your response.
Sincerely,
moderngal,
working mother, nursing mother

Edited to remove private email. Please see MDC's copyright policy Thanks!

The whole situation sucks. Maybe I'm being naive, but I really appreciated his response and I hope that he is being genuine here.
Now if I only we knew *how* these errors are being rectified.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#156 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 11:55 PM

I still don't see Mesa or anyone else making a public apology to Emily Gillette and her family for the damages incurred. I don't see Delta making any statement. And Freedom Airlines Paul Skellon just handed out more lies!

I am happy to see that Mesa has made a proper statement regarding their policy. But that is not the end of the story.

I certainly did not mean to imply that ALL flight attendants are anti-breastfeeding. I know that most are all for anything to help calm children! I just don't understand the discreptancy between what I read in Deltas rules and what some Delta employees are telling concerned patrons that call asking them for their policy. It's not that hard for Delta to quickly inform their employees that deal w/ PR that their policy is in favor of breastfeeding women. I just don't see why they are making foolish PR decisions. It really is simple, especially in this particular case b/c it took place in a state that fully protects breastfeeding mothers. They are leaving themselves "open" for plenty of problems. I don't know who their team of legal advisors are, but they certainly don't seem to be giving very good advice. But, then , I ceratainly am not a professional, so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut!

Ok, I am done w/ my rant! Sorry!!
#157 of 172 Old 11-17-2006, 11:55 PM

MG would you go to the lactivism yahoogroup and post his response to you there since you can't do so here. I am sure Emily and the ladies kicking off Tuesday's event would like to see it.

Lorrie
#158 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 12:01 AM

Opps, sorry about that-- I wasn't thinking.
I'll post the response on the yahoo group.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#159 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 12:22 AM

If you want to participate in the national nurse-in on Tuesday, check out this site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lactivism/

Please add yourself to the database so that you can coordinate with others in youe area. The official press release can be downloaded from the "files" page.
#160 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polihaupt View Post
Just wondering something here. All the people who have always received positive attitude about BF while flying: how old were your babies??

My youngest is the only one who has wanted to BF for so long, and negative looks and comments have increased the older he gets. I believe that if her baby was not almost 2, they would not have made such a big stink about it.
My last flight was with Southwest from Chicago to Reno ( had a wedding in Lake Tahoe) my older ds was almost 3 and the flight attendants were sooo super nice BOTH WAYS about my nursing. On the way there, Josh was screaming his head off and I latched him on and he stopped abruptly the FA rushed over quickly, she must have thought I smuthered him and when she saw I was nursing, and not all that descreetly since I'm so huge, she gave me a genuine warm smile! I rarely NIP after Josh's 2nd bday, due to negative comments and stares but he really needed to nurse and I wasn't going to withhold it ! Southwest is my favorite airline!
#161 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 12:55 AM

Southwest was great to us, too. We last flew when DS was 13 months and we received many nice comments from the FAs. One commented that he was so good and then came back to see him nursing and said, "well that's why he's so good." Another saw him nursing and said "I guess he doesn't need our milk, but would you like water or juice for him for later?" I was also offered extra blankets and pillows, too. I guess I didn't think much of it at the time, but after all off this, I really appreciate how nice the FAs were to us.

#162 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoriver View Post
i got a call today from the reporter in vermont, who read me the quote from freedom. i want to be very clear with all of you. i was NEVER invited back onto the plane. i begged to be let back on, i cried about getting stuck in burlington. i have witnesses who gave me their names, who SAW the entire conversation between me and the COPILOT (not the pilot). i am so absolutey crushed that they would try to turn this into MY fault and MY choice and i need to be so clear with all of you women that the latest statmenet out of Freedom is the most horendous thing for me, emotionally, to date.
This will all come out in the wash. I gave the reporter in Burlington the names of the witnesses and she is out tracking them down. So, keep your eyes on the burlington free press, and help me get the word out that these people have LIED and soiled my word and i am devastated. i can't express more passionately the feelings that this has brought up.
again, after that rant, i want to thank you all for the bottom of my heart. today is a tough day for me. but, more than ever, i feel this Fox interview tonight is crucial. They cannot get away with lying about the incident. awful.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Emily Gillette
He sounds like a liar on his voicemail. :
#163 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosaur_Mommy View Post
National Nurse-In Scheduled! Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:16 pm
In solidarity with Emily Gillette...

...nursing mothers and other lactivists across the nation will be meeting up at 10am on Tuesday November 21st in front of Delta ticket counters (or any counters owned by Delta's parent company Mesa-Air Group, including US Air and United) for the first National Nurse In!!!!!!!!

Because more education is needed to prevent mothers from encountering this kind of discrimination. It's about time nursing mothers are protected at the federal level. Let Vermont lead the nation!

Vermont’s Public Accommodations Law, 9 V.S.A. 4502, reads as follows:
Sec. 4502. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a mother may breastfeed her child in any place of public accommodation in which the mother and child would otherwise have a legal right to be. (Note-it says nothing about "discretion")

I'm looking looking for other NM moms who want to participate.

P.S. I'm not nursing anymore but still want to show up in solidarity.
It's also not the first national nurse-in.
#164 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Ha ha Read this, its great!

FLYING BERNIE SANDERS AND THE BREASTFEEDING FREEDOM FIGHTERS

http://www.americanchronicle.com/art...rticleID=16809

Janice
#165 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 03:16 AM

[QUOTE=Dinosaur_Mommy;6564809

I'm looking looking for other NM moms who want to participate.

P.S. I'm not nursing anymore but still want to show up in solidarity.[/QUOTE]

Dinosaur_Mommy, you might want to join the ABQ moms thread on FYT (I am including the link), since some of us are talking about going...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=550856&page=9

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#166 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice in Canada View Post
Ha ha Read this, its great!

FLYING BERNIE SANDERS AND THE BREASTFEEDING FREEDOM FIGHTERS

http://www.americanchronicle.com/art...rticleID=16809

Janice
I'm going to start a spin off thread. LOL
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=561829

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#167 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthera28 View Post
Dinosaur_Mommy, you might want to join the ABQ moms thread on FYT (I am including the link), since some of us are talking about going...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=550856&page=9
Thanks so much for the info!!!

familybed2.gifChristine, Registered Nurse, Army wife of my favorite soldier; David, kiss.gif, Mommy to Audrey-7 Rainbow.gif and Matthew-6jog.gif.  Expecting #3 around 8/15/2011joy.gif  
#168 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Video links to Vermont nurse-in of Nov 15

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061117/...ng_passenger_4

Breastfeeding Protest in Vermont Airport
A group of mothers held a "nurse-in" at an airport in Burlington, Vermont after a woman was removed from a flight for allegedly not being discreet while breastfeeding her baby. (Nov. 16)

(Click to link above, then look on left menu for "Related Video" link.)

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...VIDEO/61115015

Now Playing
"Nurse-in" at Burlington International Airport
Video by Peter Huoppi/Free Press Staff
About 30 mothers and fathers stage a "nurse-in" on Wednesday near the Delta Air Lines counter at Burlington International Airport in response to a recent incident in which a woman was kicked off a plane for breast feeding.
#169 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 12:47 PM

This thread has a link to the Fox News interview, in case anyone missed it.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#170 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 02:19 PM

I'm really curious about how this supposedly young woman (the airline staff member) will feel about breastfeeding in the future.

Will she get harrassed for bf one day and finally "get it?"
Or will she be the kind of mom who thinks bf is gross?
(If she has kids in the future at all, that is.)

I'm really curious.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#171 of 172 Old 11-18-2006, 03:59 PM

Subbing late but have to throw in a hearty Thank You!! to Emily and everyone who participated in the nurse-in. Way to go mamas!!!
#172 of 172 Old 11-19-2006, 12:30 AM

There is now a yahoo group to help organize the nurse in:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lactivism/

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page