Nurse in at ALL delta counters in US - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And yes, I have Sharon Panitch's contact info (she was the organizer of the BTV nurse-in) - we were in the same birthing class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtgirl View Post
I would love to jump in on this too, but I have some concerns (not to mention NO experience doing this!).

There seems to be the issue at a lot of airports that you can't get in without a ticket to fly somewhere.

Also, I think this has gotten so many people motivated to do something that we could make a really huge statement with a nation-wide nurse-in. BUT getting the word out might be easier with the backing & publicity of an national organization (LLL or Moms Rising or the like) - and maybe a little more time to do so.

I'll be checking in!
I know you can go to the open counters at the entrance to the airport.

But I also agree with you. Maybe this should be done with the backing of a national organization. I don't want anything bad or negative coming from this, it would totally defeat the purpose.

Does anyone have contacts with LLL or Moms Rising or any other BFing Rights group?
#33 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 02:58 PM

Okay, I've PM'ed Emily from her post on the other thread, and asked for her thoughts about the National nurse-in.

Dirtgirl, I will PM you what I wrote to Emily. Will you please contact Sharon and ask for her experience and advice about how holding a Nurse-In at an airport went.

You can email me directly (and privately) at momsformilk @ sasktel.net

Janice

(anyone up to taking the mothering.com News bulletin and reformating into a press release? Basically it just needs to answer the 5 w's - who what when where and why.)

#34 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 03:01 PM

FYI LLL won't back a nurse in.

Remember The View Nurse In? Not backed by any national organization officially. Done by moms for moms. It was HUGE!

I believe as long as the gathering is peaceful there will be no problems. If you are asked to leave due to security reasons I would leave. Simple as that.

From recent personal experience in working on getting the law passed here in AZ, I learned grass roots efforts really do make a difference. Janice is right. Keeping the media talking about breastfeeding is a huge success in promoting breastfeeding and the rights of breastfeeding mothers and their chlidren.
#35 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoemesiss View Post
I know you can go to the open counters at the entrance to the airport.

But I also agree with you. Maybe this should be done with the backing of a national organization. I don't want anything bad or negative coming from this, it would totally defeat the purpose.

Does anyone have contacts with LLL or Moms Rising or any other BFing Rights group?
LLL won't do this - this is not their mandate. All the other Nurse-Ins were done grass roots - just what we are doing right now. I don't know Moms Rising, but they are pretty new, aren't they. Believe me, we have more experience about organizing Nurse-Ins, right here on this forum on mothering.com, than any other group in existence. this is exactly how the NYC "the View" nurse-in started. (I was one of the co-organizers - once the ball got rolling, then a couple of us just jumped in and did the press release).

There is no "Breastfeeding organization" that will do this.

Janice
#36 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 03:15 PM

I've posted this all over the net!...

As a response to Delta Airlines for kicking a nursing mother off a plane for refusing to cover up:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...plate=printart

http://www.mothering.com/sections/ne...-gillette.html

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...00010000000001

...nursing mothers and other lactivists across the nation will be meeting up at 10am on Tuesday November 21st in front of Delta ticket counters (or any counters owned by Delta's parent company Mesa-Air Group, including US Air and United) for the first National Nurse In!!!!!!!!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...splay.php?f=25

http://promom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4789

SPREAD THE WORD~ GATHER THE MOTHERS~ BRING EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS~ AND FEED THOSE BABIES FREELY!
#37 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 03:18 PM

Hah! I guess we're committed now. So now we just need to work to make it as large and as professional as possible.
#38 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 03:21 PM

There will not be an national organization to run with it.

I am a regular member of Lactnet, the list for lactation professionals. Many of the leaders of the national organizations think that nurse-ins are a bad idea. If they do like them, them they think that the *moms* have to run them - grass-roots. They can't risk thier official established reputations to muddy their hands with something as radical as a nurse-in.

Also any large organization will not move fast enough to take advantage of the very-short attention span of the media. The only way this will happen, is for us to do it.

Believe me, its not that hard. We just need to write a press release, and get it out to the moms and bfing lists and forums. The moms will do the rest. I've been through this a few times - you have to let go and trust that moms are smart and will do the right thing. Just speak the truth of your experience.

I was so proud of the moms who were interviewed by the media for the NYC The View Nurse-In. It was as if they had all been coached by the best media advisor - they are delivered the same message, with passion, with intelligence. Women won't volunteer to be interviewed unless they feel competant to speak to the topic.

We have the truth and right on our side - it will work out fine.

As for the airport issue, that is to be considered. We'll hear back from the Vermont organizer to see what issues she had. I'll also contact Ashley, the NYC co-organizer to check into those issues - she has contacts with the police.

Janice
#39 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 03:23 PM

I just left a message for Sharon.

I think the Burlington, VT nurse-in was mostly the Burlington LLL chapter members - plus others who saw the announcement in the Free Press that morning.

Thank you Chandar for mentionning that the Barbara Walters-inspired nurse-in was grassroots. That was huge.

Also, in light of the open letter in the Free Press today, the goal of any further demonstrations might be simply to use all this publicity to educate the public and not so much to "protest". Obviously, we should wait until we hear from Emily on this.
#40 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 03:27 PM

Cross-post.

Okeedokee then. Here we go!

I'll be in touch with any relavent info I hear from Sharon about any airport issues.
#41 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 03:41 PM

I will check with the FAA about us being on airport property - I have been in contact with them already regarding a couple of issues surrounding this. It is my understanding though, that airports are not public property and so fall under different rules than us moms sitting on the sidewalk. FWIW, though, the moms who did the Victoria's Secret nurse-ins on private property didn't seem to have any trouble. I'm going to double check this though and figure out what the deal legally is exactly.

You all didn't give yourself much time to organize! Tuesday will be here FAST.

A press release should go out tonight, if you can pull it together. Preferrably before 5 PM EST.

Woman. Mother. Activist.
#42 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 03:47 PM

I think the spontaneity and immediacy of movements like this only enhance their importance. In the Age of Information it takes seconds to spread a message. In about one hour this morning (as dd nursed/slept) posting at various places on the web, I've probably reached at least 1,000 women, and then they'll spread it and then they'll spread it...
Here are two of Peggy O'Mara's best editorials (IMO), both having to do with this:

http://www.mothering.com/guest_edito...place/119.html

http://www.mothering.com/guest_edito...place/132.html
#43 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 03:49 PM

Ashley - thanks for checking with the FAA.

It would be worthwhile for anyone else who can, to check with their local airport beforehand. They may have no idea what the rules are either, - perhaps its better to just show up, rather than forewarn them? Ashley, what do you think?

I cannot do the press release, at least not that fast. someone needs to volunteer. I will be off-line in 2 hours, for about 3 hours.

Janice
#44 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 03:52 PM

If someone has a press release I can just copy and paste I can email it to my local tv stations. (Denver)

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#45 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 03:55 PM

Ok, ok - DS is asleep right now. Let me see what kind of PR I can draft up right now. Mamamagnolia has a good working draft I can run with (if she doesn't mind...).

Woman. Mother. Activist.
#46 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 04:00 PM

[QUOTE=anniej;6563383]Ok, ok - DS is asleep right now. Let me see what kind of PR I can draft up right now. Mamamagnolia has a good working draft I can run with (if she doesn't mind...).

Don't mind at all!
#47 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Let me see what kind of PR I can draft up right now.
Thank you Ashley!
#48 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 04:13 PM

Okay, I am in direct email contact with Emily. (Ashley, I bounced it to you)
But she was on her way to do the Fox interview. She mentioned having her lawyer do a press release. Ashley, if you think its important to get something out by 5, then go ahead with whatever you can write.

The lawyer can issue thier own press release in support of the nurse-in afterwards. I think, as usual, it is best to have it look like the moms of America are doing this on their own initiative, anyhow, (which is the case), instead of having it look like Emily and her lawyer are driving this.

Go ahead with the press release, and lets get it out.

Janice
#49 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 04:31 PM

Ok, I need clarification as to how the relationship between Mesa and Delta works. We're targeting Delta AND Mesa as a contractor? Is that the best wording? Or because they were code sharing? Can someone help out?

Woman. Mother. Activist.
#50 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 04:36 PM

From the mothering.com news bulletin

Flight 6160 was ticketed by Delta, on a code-shared Freedom Airlines aircraft. After eventually returning home to New Mexico, Emily Gillette attempted communication with both airlines. Following preliminary verbal apologies from both airlines, Emily states that she has received no further communication from Freedom Airlines, despite being told that a representative would get back to her by Friday, October 27th. Delta Airlines' representatives have actually declined to communicate with Gillette further, in a phone conversation. Neither airline has accepted responsibility for the flight attendant's actions toward the Gillette family, nor addressed their lack of policy regarding the protection of breastfeeding rights.

The Vermont Civil Rights Commission has accepted a complaint by Gillette, against Delta Airlines and Freedom Airlines, under a Vermont statute protecting a mother's right to "breastfeed her child in any place of public accommodation in which the mother and child would have a right to be."
#51 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 04:38 PM

it was Fredom Airlines VP of Communicaitons who responded in the open letter in the Burlington Free Press

Quote:
Paul Skellon, Freedom Airlines Vice President of Corporate Communications,
#52 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 04:39 PM

My bil, who writes press releases for work all the time, just sent this over to me if anyone would like to use it...clearly the "Logan" reference could be substituted with local airports...

Ok, I can't remeber how to insert a file off of my computer so here is the text!

Media Advisory - Media Advisory - Media Advisory - Media Advisory - Media Advisory

BREASTFEEDING MOTHERS DEFEND NATURAL RIGHTS

Nursing moms, and supporters, will assert their rights with a nurse-in at airports nation-wide, including Logan, on Tuesday, November 21st at 10:00 A.M.

Boston, MA- Nursing mothers, and their supporters, will decend on airports nation-wide on Tuesday, November 21 at 10:00A.M., in order to assert the inalienable, natural right of mother’s to nurse their infants. This action is in response to a shocking incident last week in Burlington VT, in which a nursing mother (and baby), who had been on a delayed plane for three hours, were ordered to leave the plane by a flight attendant who was “offended” by the sight of a mother feeding a hungry child.

The parent and child were flying Freedom Airlines, which is owned and operated by Delta Airlines. Accordingly, the nurse-in will take place at the Delta Airlines desks at airports across America, including Logan.

This incident represents a serious violation of natural and civil rights, and the nurse-in is designed to send a message that this sort of narrow-minded persecution will not be allowed to stand unopposed.
#53 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 04:53 PM

One thing in the press release is wrong. The incident occurred on Oct 13th I believe not last week. Otherwise looks good.
#54 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 05:14 PM

How about Monday afternoon? I'll be flying DELTA home to ATL (never had a problem before), but I'll be sure to nurse her in front of the personnel to make a point. I'm so happy to participate!!

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#55 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 05:26 PM

Did everyone seen that Delta apologized and issued a statement?

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...D=200661117009
#56 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 05:36 PM

Emily still needs our support because apparently, the airline's apology letter is full of lies.

Quoting Emily herself from just a few hours ago:
Quote:
i got a call today from the reporter in vermont, who read me the quote from freedom. i want to be very clear with all of you. i was NEVER invited back onto the plane. i begged to be let back on, i cried about getting stuck in burlington. i have witnesses who gave me their names, who SAW the entire conversation between me and the COPILOT (not the pilot). i am so absolutey crushed that they would try to turn this into MY fault and MY choice and i need to be so clear with all of you women that the latest statmenet out of Freedom is the most horendous thing for me, emotionally, to date.
This will all come out in the wash. I gave the reporter in Burlington the names of the witnesses and she is out tracking them down. So, keep your eyes on the burlington free press, and help me get the word out that these people have LIED and soiled my word and i am devastated. i can't express more passionately the feelings that this has brought up.
again, after that rant, i want to thank you all for the bottom of my heart. today is a tough day for me. but, more than ever, i feel this Fox interview tonight is crucial. They cannot get away with lying about the incident. awful.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Emily Gillette
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a.../NEWS/61117009
#57 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 05:40 PM

I'm still pouting that I can't go on Tuesday. Slim slim chance, but if I did it, it would be without my son.

Quote:
FWIW, though, the moms who did the Victoria's Secret nurse-ins on private property didn't seem to have any trouble. I'm going to double check this though and figure out what the deal legally is exactly.
From my memory if we officially notified a news crew we needed to notify the mall and get their approval.

The malls that I was at (for the VS Nurse in and ProMoM Nurse Out) were fine with a group of gathered parents.... but nothing much more 'organized' than that. I was allowed to have the participants sign a sign in sheet but could not distribute any material. If a person came up and asked me a question about why we were there, I could answer it. If they asked for information I could give it. No signs (but lactivism shirts should be fine).

So I'd double check.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#58 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshields View Post
The parent and child were flying Freedom Airlines, which is owned and operated by Delta Airlines. Accordingly, the nurse-in will take place at the Delta Airlines desks at airports across America, including Logan.
Freedom is owned and operated by Mesa, not Delta. Delta contracts with Mesa for regional flights.

Mom to DD 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 (04.21.13)   DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 (10 years old) and DSD
(12 years old) and 2
 and 1
#59 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 05:52 PM

there are a whole gangle of us down here in south florida now.

i hope we're alldoing this right. seems like i'm the ringleader down here. the last thing that i want is to make this bad. we've all agreed that this would be as peaceful as possible. there are even a bunch of bences near the terminal where the delta desk is. the other airlines under mesa are at other terminals so we're just going to stick to the delta one, i guess. and thankfully here at this airport we are allowed up to the terminal (but not IN it).

i did want to know, was anyone else notifying the actual airport in their area? we weren't going to because we felt it might seem more agressive than we are planning if we say "hey, we're coming over there!" so what is everyone else doing?

also, can someone pm their pr, so i can get that out down here? i even have some people coming from other parts of florida, so as for us, i think we can get this on statewide news, about our airport... obviously, this will make national news anyway.

~veezie~ treehugger.gif intactlact.gifjammin.gif mama to julien (1.6.06) geek.gif, lennon (2.15.08) nut.gif, & triton (12.20.09) blahblah.gif. expecting #4 (5.2012) 2ndtri.gif

#60 of 127 Old 11-17-2006, 06:15 PM

I think that some have expressed concern about notifying the airports. Aren't our local airports owned by the cities in which they are located? If that is the case, then wouldn't they be public property anyway?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page