For those who are against drapes - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems a bit odd to me, also, that the dual criticisms of drapes are that they hide breastfeeding and that they draw attention to breastfeeding.
#92 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 06:01 AM

I have nursing tops and pjs because I'm a very discreet person. I'm not saying everyone else has to be but I don't feel comfortable exposing my skin in front of anyone but dh & dd. I never really got the hang of using a blanket with my first, it just got in the way too much and I couldn't see anything(to make sure she was latched on properly etc). But I agree with the OPer, the nursing tops and drapes IMO serve the same purpose, to be discreet while nursing. I would think if a person was comfortable with everyone knowing they were nursing or wanted to make a statement that there was nothing to be ashamed of they wouldn't use any tops or blankets to cover up.
#93 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 06:03 AM

The thing is, Brig, lactivism is already political. Like it or not. I think a lot of people's horror to seeing "that" is an extension of their ambivalence about the autonomy of women.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. But to be perfectly honest, this whole, "but Iiiiiiiii wear a nursing drape and I like it" is kind of... er, annoying. So wear it. Or not. Whatever.

But also respect that a lot of lactivist types here (perhaps a majority) find the hawking of such a product on MDC offensive.

For myself, I don't mind seeing a woman BFing under a drape. I see it often enough to be amused, and rarely is it a woman with a baby over the age of three months-- either they quit using the thing, or pump to go out, or move to formula. I'm down with LLL's position on it; cover, or not, it's your call.

BUT I don't want to see these ads here, for all the reasons people have already enumerated. They're easy enough to find. Someone will probably give ya one at a baby shower anyway.

You don't need a special product to nurse, even if you're opposed to anyone ever seeing a flash of nip, and I'm annoyed by the corporate marketing that tries to sell more useless crap in the name of NFL. What on earth did nice modest women do before the advent of "drapes," anyway?
#94 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes View Post
The thing is, Brig, lactivism is already political. Like it or not. I think a lot of people's horror to seeing "that" is an extension of their ambivalence about the autonomy of women.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. But to be perfectly honest, this whole, "but Iiiiiiiii wear a nursing drape and I like it" is kind of... er, annoying. So wear it. Or not. Whatever.

But also respect that a lot of lactivist types here (perhaps a majority) find the hawking of such a product on MDC offensive.

For myself, I don't mind seeing a woman BFing under a drape. I see it often enough to be amused, and rarely is it a woman with a baby over the age of three months-- either they quit using the thing, or pump to go out, or move to formula. I'm down with LLL's position on it; cover, or not, it's your call.

BUT I don't want to see these ads here, for all the reasons people have already enumerated. They're easy enough to find. Someone will probably give ya one at a baby shower anyway.

You don't need a special product to nurse, even if you're opposed to anyone ever seeing a flash of nip, and I'm annoyed by the corporate marketing that tries to sell more useless crap in the name of NFL. What on earth did nice modest women do before the advent of "drapes," anyway?
Yes, and I find their offendedness offensive. That nursing drapes are somehow anti-breastfeeeding--as though the milk suddenly curdles just because it's under a drape.

Of course there are other options. Is the existence of a product only justified if there are no other options?

But my point is that it's hypocritical. If you're a nudist, okay, then you're qualified to condemn nursing drapes and their "message." But if you wear clothes, especially clothes designed to allow nursing without flashing... I don't see how you can support one but oppose the other.
#95 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 06:24 AM

I am less and less convinced that these things actually promote breastfeeding. The one woman I know who used one switched to formula when her kid got old enough he wouldn't stand for being completely subsumed in cloth while nursing anymore.
#96 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 06:30 AM

How is it "hypocritical" to oppose the marketing of a product specifically designed to hide breastfeeding in a forum dedicated to the normalizing of actually seeing nursing relationships? Lots of women here have said that they've never seen a woman nurse a baby till the day they gave birth.

And lots of lactivists consider this a prime reason why breastfeeding relationships fail. I tend to agree with them.

Surely women who organize public nurse-ins, write letters of protest to Delta for kicking an "indiscreet" woman off her flight, are not going to openly embrace ads for products designed to keep "that" out of sight and out of mind.

I think the dual objection to the hiding and advertising of the drapes is more an ironic observation than a genuine protest. As in, if the purpose of the product is to completely obliterate all signs of boobie action, how amusing is it that it really does quite the opposite?
#97 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
I am less and less convinced that these things actually promote breastfeeding. The one woman I know who used one switched to formula when her kid got old enough he wouldn't stand for being completely subsumed in cloth while nursing anymore.
That has been my observation as well. I do know a woman who ditched the tent instead of the BF relationship, but the others I've met either started "supplementing" for trips out, or pumping for awhile, and then eventually going to formula.
#98 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes View Post
How is it "hypocritical" to oppose the marketing of a product specifically designed to hide breastfeeding in a forum dedicated to the normalizing of actually seeing nursing relationships? Lots of women here have said that they've never seen a woman nurse a baby till the day they gave birth.

And lots of lactivists consider this a prime reason why breastfeeding relationships fail. I tend to agree with them.

Surely women who organize public nurse-ins, write letters of protest to Delta for kicking an "indiscreet" woman off her flight, are not going to openly embrace ads for products designed to keep "that" out of sight and out of mind.

I think the dual objection to the hiding and advertising of the drapes is more an ironic observation than a genuine protest. As in, if the purpose of the product is to completely obliterate all signs of boobie action, how amusing is it that it really does quite the opposite?
When drunken students on spring break chant "show us your boobs!" to female passersby, it is rightly recognized as rude, boorish, and misogynistic. But change it to "show us your boobs... for the cause!" and it becomes okay?

The hypocrisy is--if you are opposed to the idea of women choosing to cover their bodies while nursing, why aren't you opposed to other products that allow women to cover their bodies while nursing (like nursing clothes), or even products that allow women to cover their bodies at all (any clothes)?

Anyway, I thought the purpose of the forum was to promote breastfeeding? Which is still the same breastfeeding, whether under a drape or a shirt or nothing at all. Nursing drapes are pro-breastfeeding. You don't need them in order to breastfeed, of course, any more than you need nursing clothes. But they both (drapes and clothes) are products designed to make it easier to nurse. It does not make sense to me to oppose one type of cover (again, not talking about personally disliking it or choosing not to use it, but being opposed to it and finding it offensive) unless you are equally opposed to all covering (i.e. a total nudist).
#99 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 06:58 AM

When drunken boys holler "show us yer boobs!" they are clearly demonstrating that they have absolutely no idea what those globes of flesh are really for. They need to see lactivists out there with the saggy, leaky, stretchmarked size F boobs more than anyone else.

It's less boorish than silly and uninformed. And I'm an old lady now, anyway. The boys don't want to see my boobs anymore. Except my toddler. They still make him smile!

Taking some of the hysterical edge off of BOOBS as sexually charged objects is half the battle; I know my thoughts about them have changed drastically over the last two years. They're not part of my genitals. They are for feeding my children. Period. While they may have erotic potential, I promise my neck has a lot more sensation, but nobody recoils when they see my moly neck.

Finally, the purpose the of "Breastfeeding" forum is to promote BF. The purpose of "Lactivism" is to promote a culture in which most women are able to initiate and continue nursing relationships. Plenty of people have pointed out that marketing products that complicate/shame nursing mothers' work does have a longterm effect on the culture, and not a particularly positive one.

Cover, or don't. But don't expect people to be thrilled about product ads at MDC that are intended to induce shame-for-profit.
#100 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

What do drapes, or the marketing thereof, have to do with shame?

If a drape hinders your nursing relationship, don't use it. Walk around topless for all I care. But it is not lactivistic to criticize breastfeeding women for the way they choose to breastfeed.
#101 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigianna View Post
What do drapes, or the marketing thereof, have to do with shame?

If a drape hinders your nursing relationship, don't use it. Walk around topless for all I care. But it is not lactivistic to criticize breastfeeding women for the way they choose to breastfeed.
Who's doing that? Haven't I said that I support LLL's position on covering or not? Do as you please.

People here are protesting the choice of the advertising, the message that this item is the magic key to nursing "decently" in public. MDC, in my opinion, doesn't need to add to the cacophony of cultural messages that says "Whatever you do, keep that titty out of sight, woman!"

Women who are really serious about modesty for religious/cultural/personal reasons are more than capable of seeking out stuff to facilitate that lifestyle choice. I find it strange that THIS special "modesty item" is the only one Google has spewed forth onto MDC.

What it tells me is that my culture is still anxious about boobs in a way that they're not anxious about knees or midriffs or inner elbows. And what that tells me is that we're not there yet WRT seeing breasts as actual workhorse body parts, not sex toys.

And I cannot help but think that this is a big part of the American reluctance to value breastfeeding relationships. We've got to let go of the obsession with hiding the all-feared boob, in general.
#102 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 09:27 AM

I don't have a problem with a woman using a drape if that's what she chooses to do. HOWEVER, my take on drapes is this: If a woman feel like she needs to use a drape to NIP, she will probably not NIP for very long, and therefore will probably stop nursing sooner than she otherwise would have. Not EVERY woman of course, but a lot of the ones using drapes. Why? Because most babies don't like being completely covered up and will not put up with it for much longer than the first 4-6 mos or so.

Nursing clothes and drapes are completely unrelated, IMO. The nursing clothes I have don't cover me any better than my regular clothes, and they definitely don't cover up the baby at all. The only time nursing clothes are actually needed are dresses. You can't really nurse in a dress without partiually removing it, which is awkward and shows more skin than most people are comfotable with. I have no problem baring my boob to nurse the baby, but that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with my entire top half showing.
#103 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 09:57 AM

OT Google doesn't understand the concept of discreet nursing click on the ad link at the bottom of the page

I do find nursing drapes offensive and I will tell you why.

These items are a purely social construct. They tell mothers in the country where they are sold that it is inappropriate for others to see you feeding your child.

"Discretion" is just a word used to justify this sly undermining of womens role in nurturing and caring for their child.

The reason I feel this so strongly is because I have yet to see the hooter hider or any similar product available to purchase in any of the mainstream stores here in the UK. This is a cold country; the need to keep mum and babe warm is obviously not the reason for their use and I have never seen one used other than by a Californian mum at our toddler group. Our breastfeeding rates are no worse than yours so they don't seem to help much in terms of initiation or length of breastfeeding relationship in general.

The question goes deeper than the drape itself and the advertising of such; There is something about your society which has allowed this product a market in which to thrive.
#104 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 10:06 AM

I wrote this last night but didn't get around to posting it.

This photo, apparently of american girls dressed up in German costume- is a good example of various traditional dress bodice styles of Germany/Switzerland/Austria... You will notice that the girl in the front row with the red bodice- it covers her breasts... this is a bodice for a young woman- unmarried or without children. Next to her, the woman with the white apron- she is wearing a dress with a bodice that cuts across her nipple line. This is a dress for a nursing mother or matron. The white underblouse is traditionally very short and has a lightweight elastic bottom edge (I don't know how they did this before elastic) So- to nurse a baby the underblouse is pulled a little up- and there is easy acess! This is not a "nursing dress" this is a traditional dress whose form and function includes a mother's response to her children.

This is a picture of a mennonite dress with a "cape" The cape is a triangular feature in both the front and the back of the dress. This feature also functions in the way that many nursing clothes do- it does not conceal any slots or zippers of flaps- but through the front closure which is not visible- there is acess to the mother's breast- In this culture which is pretty modest, a mother does not need to draw attention to the fact that she is nursing by wearing special attire- everyone wears it, and the standard design functions for nursing women.

Imagine if they were to begin to market special razors- that were specially designed to shave your whole forehead, not that you should want to shave your whole forehead- we don't want to imply that... but just in case you want to shave your forehead, we have a special razor just for you... and by the way- these make great gifts!

Get it? People who want to shave their forehead- they can use a face razor, leg razor, straight razor, wax, delipadory etc... they have many existing options to help them do this task that they want to do...but it's impossible to market a product without also marketing the social pressure to use the product.

Free thinking independant, proud and modest mothers have a vast selection of soft washable and easy to transport opaque materials already available to them without the world at large being sold on an absurd idea that there is modesty to be attained in covering yourself with a breastfeeding modesty specific engineered product...and that because such a product exists- mothers should feel compeled to use it for other people's comfort.
#105 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 10:12 AM

Orangefoot- you are so RIGHT ON!
#106 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
But it is not lactivistic to criticize breastfeeding women for the way they choose to breastfeed.
#107 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
"Drapes are not neutral in the politics of women's bodies; they are making a clear statement that the woman herself is in charge of who gets to see her body. Of course non-draping sends the same message. It is your choice."

I like that, Brigianna, and I thought it should be said again. Lactivists make me uncomfortable because they usually belittle my sense of modesty, that's one of the reasons I don't come around here often. It's like they think I'm less of a woman because I don't let it all hang out when really I CHOOSE to cover so that I am in control of who sees my breasts.

When NIP I am generally covered well, you don't nurse four kids and not figure out how to do that! But at home, I'm pretty 'free', in fact, just yesterday my 15yos came in my room and said 'Could you cover that thing up, I need to talk to you!' So, it's not like the girls never see daylight.

I am raising sons (3 of them - yikes) to know that nursing is normal and healthy but so is modesty. Not everyone needs to see my boobs. Period.

And frankly, you can be pro-bfing, and normalize nursing to those around you and never show a bit of skin. A friend of mine is nursing her 6th child, the first one she's breastfed, because of conversations with me and another EBFer, both very frum(modest).
#108 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 11:31 AM

Are we talking about women nursing their babies however we want... or are we talking about a product- marketed toward nursing women specificaly so we can cover the scene of a mother/ child diad from the view of the public... because face it- nuirsing covers are not designed to cover the exposed breast flesh- you could do that with your hand- they cover the scene of a child at their mother's breast. It's not about breast skin- it's about the fact that many people find the entire idea of lactation to be obscene, offensive and in need of erradication from the concious view- they want babies to magicly be well fed and healthy- but they don't want the process to be known.

If you have a chubby belly, or a nervous father in law, or a distractable baby, or large areolas, or a super shy nature... whatever... is there something about a nursing cover product that does a better job at giving you the comfort level you need- that could not be filled by a baby blanket?

Let's keep this on track- we are not debating modesty defined by a mother- we are discussing these products and their advertising- aren't we?

Heck- I consider myself extremely modest in terms of how I nurse my child- yet I never cover my nursing child's head child with a blanket unless it's cold and windy and I'm trying to get them to sleep. Modesty has nothing to do with covering... and lactivism has nothing to do with brazen breast exposure!
#109 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Are we talking about women nursing their babies however we want... or are we talking about a product- marketed toward nursing women specificaly so we can cover the scene of a mother/ child diad from the view of the public... because face it- nuirsing covers are not designed to cover the exposed breast flesh- you could do that with your hand- they cover the scene of a child at their mother's breast. It's not about breast skin- it's about the fact that many people find the entire idea of lactation to be obscene, offensive and in need of erradication from the concious view- they want babies to magicly be well fed and healthy- but they don't want the process to be known.

If you have a chubby belly, or a nervous father in law, or a distractable baby, or large areolas, or a super shy nature... whatever... is there something about a nursing cover product that does a better job at giving you the comfort level you need- that could not be filled by a baby blanket?

Let's keep this on track- we are not debating modesty defined by a mother- we are discussing these products and their advertising- aren't we?

Heck- I consider myself extremely modest in terms of how I nurse my child- yet I never cover my nursing child's head child with a blanket unless it's cold and windy and I'm trying to get them to sleep. Modesty has nothing to do with covering... and lactivism has nothing to do with brazen breast exposure!
:
#110 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post

A baby blanket can easily fall off. Doesn't a nursing drape stay on better?

We use blankets to swaddle our babies, right? Was it wrong when someone decided to sew a swaddling blanket and make money from it?

We used our arms and long lengths of cloth to hold our babies... is it wrong that people are sewing and marketing all kinds of great slings to fulfill the same purpose?
#111 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 11:48 AM

I don't know if I am allowed to link stuff, but I did a quick google search for nursing drape since I wasn't even sure what I was talking about Here is one of the first pics I found:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1923_17407249

The baby's face is not even covered up. I don't get what the big deal is.
#112 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Honestly, I would challenge you to find a post where someone said they would interfere with a woman who was using a nursing canopy.

People have said they wouldn't choose them for themselves.

People have said they feel the language of many ads for nursing canopies are coercive and negative.

People have said they feel sad that we live in a society where breasts are sexualized and women feel that they need to cover a baby nursing. People have said they wish it were otherwise.

But I haven't seen anyone criticizing how a woman chooses to breastfeed.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#113 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 12:17 PM

I would never look down at a mama who choose under her own free will to use a drape, thats her right. But I resent the backlash that I know will come up in mainstream society, the "When I was nursing I never nursed without a blanket." that ALWAYS comes up when a nursing mother is discussed. Or the "I just saw a woman using a blanket/drape while she nursed. Why can't you?"

Of course you (the mama's who choose to use a drape/blanket) shouldn't feel obligated to be uncomfortable while you nurse just so I don't get hassled. But that is where my (personal) dislike of the nursing drapes come from.

I have a friend who will cover herself when she nurses, does it bug me? Nope not at all, if my son also wants to nurse I'll sit down and nurse, sans cover. Does it bug her? Nope. She figures we each gotta do what we're comfortable with. She's more comfortable using a cover. I'm more comfortable without.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#114 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridley13 View Post
I don't know if I am allowed to link stuff, but I did a quick google search for nursing drape since I wasn't even sure what I was talking about Here is one of the first pics I found:

In that particular photo, the big deal is that that is not fashionable and I choose not to wear unfashionable clothes.
#115 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishwithabike View Post
We are STILL mammals which makes us animals. I have yet to see a monkey or dog cover to feed their babes.
True...but you might see a zebra at your local mall: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...p-20/ref=nosim

I am not offended by anyone who covers their breasts the way they like while nursing in public, in principle...freedom of choice, right? I have used a shawl or a scarf to cover my breast (and when his level of distraction has threatened to cause him to rip my nipples off while he attempts to sip and socialize at the same time, my baby's head) in public...but mostly because I do not like the way men here tend to stare and salivate while I feed my son...: "It's not for you, buddy, Back off!"

Maybe that makes me weak. I have seen women who can completely blank that ogling and wolf whistling in the background...I can't, and actually sometimes it affects my let down, I get so freaked. When we are alone or with women, or in a quiet space, or I feel safe around the men in the area...I just whip it out. If Ben gets really jumpy from the visual stimulation around him, I sometime pull the scarf down over his cheek, to help calm him down...otherwise, I really only ever considered it for MY safety, not for the consideration of others.

And THAT is another issue altogether, no?!

That being said I do find most "drapes" offensive...like the "Hooter Hider"
Not only is the name offensive but it looks like she's smuggling illegal goods under there, and that pattern? What a train wreck!

And this one: http://www.amazon.com/NuAngel-Nursin.../dp/B000GKRYUS

I mean...she looks like Casper the Friendly Ghost, for the love of god!

I suppose I SHOULD be all for the freedom of choice, but doesn't YOUR freedom end where MY rights begin...and don't I have a right, while enjoying a lovely afternoon at the mall, NOT to be subjected to such an eyesore as this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pink-Sprinkle-Br...QQcmdZViewItem

Hunh? What is that?! Barbie's first nursing tent?!

Quote:
Oh, and when I first saw the title of this thread in the new posts list, I was like "Why would someone be opposed to drapes?? They are just window coverings..."

Down with drapes! Up with Blinds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophmama View Post
I think I object more to products being sold that send the message that a drape 'gives you permission' to nurse in public, than seeing a mom with a small blanket or cloth diaper draped over her shoulder and a baby underneath.
Yeah...I think THAT is why people are up in arms over the ads for these things (wherever they might be because many women are out there, and particularly here, to find out about their rights as moms, and learn about breastfeeding and why kids should have access to breastmilk anytime and anywhere, so any message that says; "it's BETTER to drape," is just not very fair to those who are fighting daily for the right to choose NOT to drape...which is not a right many people have or FEEL they have. Some of those moms, not yet secure in their rights or beliefs, might not breastfeed their child in public if they say, forgot their drape at home by mistake, and then their child might go hungry until she could feel "she had permission" to feed him/her. How sad would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
I've used a scarf or the tail of my sling when it was cold or if DC was distracted. I have seen one of these big things that look like a barber drape that I thought was kind of odd...in a "wow, why would anyone need such a specialized blanket" kind of way but that's about it.
That's my POV too. I often wear drapey clothes anyway, lots of poncho style tops, drapey scarves and sari like silks and pashminas, so I just don't see the point of these hideous aprons. How big are your boobs that you need an APRON to hide them!?!

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#116 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:

I think that that drape would fall into the same category as nursing clothing in the view of the mainstream (and by mainstream, I mean those who think NIP is ok if covered). They would still see it as unacceptable, not enough coverage. There is an opening at the side where one could inadvertantly sneak a peek if at just the right angle from the mother and babe and they don't want to risk seeing anything.
#117 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Drapes are not neutral in the politics of women's bodies; they are making a clear statement that the woman herself is in charge of who gets to see her body. Of course non-draping sends the same message. It is your choice.
I hope I am misunderstanding this quote. The way you set this quote up to say that draping sends a message that the woman controls who sees her body and that non-draping sends the same message seems to imply that a person who doesn't wear a drape shows *everyone* her body (and that she's ok with that because she was in charge of showing *everyone* her body). Again, I really hope I am misunderstanding you, but THAT is the problem I have with drapes. Even if that isn't what YOU are saying, that is what I hear from countless others...that we're exhibitionists because we won't use a blanket or a drape. We're obviously wanting to create a scene (because, you know, our babies nurse best when there is a huge scene to distract them) because we won't "just cover it up."

Quote:
But my point is that it's hypocritical. If you're a nudist, okay, then you're qualified to condemn nursing drapes and their "message." But if you wear clothes, especially clothes designed to allow nursing without flashing... I don't see how you can support one but oppose the other.
No, it isn't hypocritical. Clothing serves a function outside hiding our bodies. Nursing drapes don't. I can walk around the mall in a nursing shirt and not look odd even though I'm not nursing. If I walk around the mall with a nursing drape on, I'm gonna look odd (nursing or not, IMO). If it were our cultural habit to wear aprons and blankets at all times, then yes, I'd probably wear a nursing drape. Nursing clothes are about having something you have to wear anyway made in a manner in which it might be easier to use for nursing.

Part of the lure of breastfeeding was that there are no accessories needed for the most part. Maybe one might need lanolin, nursing pads or a pump for work, but I don't need to buy an apron or anything like that to cover up. I did need new shirts after having DD anyway, so buying some shirts that made nursing easier was no big deal.
#118 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post
Down with drapes! Up with Blinds!
That could work into this purpose, too.

http://sehlhorst.smugmug.com/photos/62908223-M.jpg

Solution to all our problems...pass these out to folks.
#119 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 PM

hakeber, your entire post cracked me up!! Thanks!
#120 of 304 Old 11-22-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml41981 View Post
That could work into this purpose, too.

http://sehlhorst.smugmug.com/photos/62908223-M.jpg

Solution to all our problems...pass these out to folks.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page