TSA gripe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2006, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had to travel recently with my 8 month old (EBF) and 3 year old.
I had my water confiscated going and coming. I told them I was a nursing mother to no effect. If I hadn't talked a F.A. into giving me the whole bottle of water on my first flight I would have been in danger of dehydration. On my return trip I bought 2 overpriced bottles of water. If I was bottlefeeding I could have taken my formula but plain old water is not essential to life, I guess. Maybe next time I'll get a doctor's presciption for water.

But they only hate us for our freedom!!

PS i'm a hijabi : mommy so I didn't make too much of a fuss. I have no wish to get flagged or "randomly" strip-searched while hauling around my babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2006, 11:06 PM

I had similar experiences on a recent trip. I didn't try to bring any water, knowing they were being real sticklers. I assumed the FA would give me extra, but that wasn't always the case. I said to the flight attendants, "I am a nursing mother and I need extra water," and most of them were helpful but some of them just did NOT get it and gave me two little 3-ounce glasses instead of one. We're talking about 6-8 hour flights, too! Ugh! We flew eight times in total, and I too am a covered Muslim woman and got "randomly" searched and patted down a bunch of times anyway.

There was brutal turbulence on the last flight (only an hour) and they couldn't complete beverage service. I almost cried. I need like 3 gallons of liquid a day.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:15 PM

I'm getting thirsty just thinking about that. We're not travelling until after this RSV season is over, but I don't know what I'm going to do in the spring when we go see my family up north (we're in Texas.)

On another note, I'm an EPer and I have written so many emails to the TSA about their guidelines for traveling with milk (what they recommend as far as transporting it in luggage.) All they do is send an automated response with the website, which is not helpful. Ummmm, thanks!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:16 PM

Last time I flew I just took empty water bottles and filled them up after security. Airport prices for bottled water are so painfully high ($3 for 20oz or whatever). The FA did give me more water on board but seemed put-out by the request.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:40 PM

i know what you all mean with the strange rules! it seems like they're different every time i fly--it makes it hard to keep up on what's ok and what's not!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstress View Post
I'm an EPer and I have written so many emails to the TSA about their guidelines for traveling with milk (what they recommend as far as transporting it in luggage.) All they do is send an automated response with the website, which is not helpful. Ummmm, thanks!
did you ever find out the exact story on what's ok and what's not? my DH is a ramp agent with a friendly airline, and my mom is a flight attendant for the same one (a flight attendant who borders on ANNOYINGLY excited to see BFing moms on her flights ). with all of those connections i'm pretty up on the rules/regulations if you have any questions you need answered! (not to mention, i've flown a few times since i began EPing, so i've had lots of personal experience too!)
Old 12-03-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the sympathy. Does anyone think a prescription (if I could wrangle one) would help? I had a pretty good trip besides having my water taken. I may have to travel again in the near future and have no desire for dehydration-induced headaches.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annekevdbroek View Post
Last time I flew I just took empty water bottles and filled them up after security.
I believe that is what TSA recommends.

Last I checked on their website, pumped milk and formula can ONLY be carried on when you have a baby with you. Otherwise you have to figure out a way to pack it in checked baggage (dry ice?) or dump it. This is terrible and is a serious lactivism issue.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post

Last I checked on their website, pumped milk and formula can ONLY be carried on when you have a baby with you. Otherwise you have to figure out a way to pack it in checked baggage (dry ice?) or dump it. This is terrible and is a serious lactivism issue.

Or you could overnight ship it with UPS, FedEx or similar carrier like they do with donor milk. Pain in the butt, maybe, but depending on how badly you need to get the milk back home it is another option. And may be safer than chancing that they won't loose your luggage or something like that.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warda_Rose View Post
Thanks for the sympathy. Does anyone think a prescription (if I could wrangle one) would help? I had a pretty good trip besides having my water taken. I may have to travel again in the near future and have no desire for dehydration-induced headaches.
I've been worried about this for my upcoming trip. I'll shell out for expensive airport water, but seriously. It's be an issue beyond breastfeeding mothers, too. Anyone who's even so much as fighting off a cold needs large quantities of water on a plane.

Are you talking about a prescription for water? Let us know how it goes if you try it. It's a good idea, but I'm disturbed that it's come to that.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yep, i'm thirsty just reading this. : We are planning a flight next year, I don't know what I'm going to do without my water for a cross country flight. I usually bring 2L on board with me and still snag any the FA will give me.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:08 PM

We just recently flew from Turkiye to US and back. I was 23 and 25 weeks pregnant respectively and *still* had problems getting water from the FAs. DH had to get up several times during the flight to ask for more water for me. Everytime they went by with the little beverage cart, he would ask for extra and I would always get just 2 of those tiny little cups--I had those gulped down before they could even moh.e the cart. I even had one FA completely ignore me when I asked for more! On the way back, we did pay the airport prices for water and Gatorade after the checkpoints, but it still wasn't enough.

Funny, I actually got *better* treatment when I did wear hijab.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:57 AM

BTW whenever I've had a flight with inadequate beverage service, I've always just walked to the back whenever I was thirsty (with thrombophilia it's best for me to walk around a lot anyway) and asked for more drinks, never a problem. Also a friend mentioned to me that if you bring an empty bottle onboard, sometimes they will fill it with water for you.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:20 AM

i haven't flown recently, but always drink a lot on planes (been nursing 5 1/2 years straight...). i have a vague recollection of filling up my empty bottle in the plane's bathroom. (i was there a lot since i was drinking so much water ) it didn't fit under the faucet, so i would fill up the little paper cup they have in there, pour it into my bottle, repeat...until it was full. i also asked for refills in the galley if we were close to it.

my signature is usually illegible
Old 12-04-2006, 01:28 AM

All the airplane bathrooms I've been in have big blazing signs saying not to drink the water from the faucet.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post

Ladies, Rep. Maloney (author of the Breastfeeding Promotion Act) is sending a Dear colleague letter to all her fellow Reps. to sign on. The letter is to the TSA asking them to revisit and revise their pumped milk policies. I have seen the letter and it is quite good. As soon as it goes out to the rest of the House of Representatives I will be putting something out on MDC asking all to contact their district Rep. to insist they sign on to it. The more who sign it the more TSA takes notice!

Lorrie
one of the national airport nurse in organizing team members

User Tag List