HELP need citation on breast milk is a clear liquid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-12-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all....

DD was with her grandma on a bench on Sunday which collapsed. We ended up in the big "super great" children's ER last night. She has to have a bone scan tomorrow and be sedated.

I ran into this last night as well as now in schduling the bone scan. I keep getting told that breast milk is not a clear fluid. Anyone know of any good sources to hand to them for this?

I'm really frustrated about this.... grrrr.: I'm so very dissappointed in this great academic center.... The nursing and line staff seemed very breast feeding unfreindly. The MD in charge was and told me to nurse her as desired because she agreed that there appeared to be no emmergent condition happening and that there was no way they are doing surgery before the morning. She seemed breast feeding friendly and I whipped it right out once she gave the ok. Had my mom not been there, I would have ignored the no nursing rule anyway, but my mom is a medical provider and was really heaping on the lecture. I was so glad to hear that I was allowed to nurse because I was about to have to send DH to the car for my pump. DD was so unhappy because she first wanted to comfort nurse and then was hungry, and did not understand why her mommy would not nurse her when mommy always has a nipple to pull out for her at her desire. It was so sad. We finally got discharged at 3am.

Just added... for her bone scan tomorrow because she has to be sedated I can nurse her up to 4 hours before the procedure. I can give her water or apple juice !!!!!! up to 2 hours before the procedure. HELLO. She has NEVER had water or apple juice in her bottle.
#2 of 3 Old 12-12-2006, 06:22 PM

Here's the first thing I found:
http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-surgery.html (scroll down for the most useful info)
I'll be back if I find more... Good luck!

ETA: I found this too http://www.llli.org/FAQ/anesthesia.html
Unfortunetly, they all pretty much seem to say that you should stop BFing 3-4 hours before surgery. Still there were a few things in the first link that said 2 hours, and several places mentioned that BM is a "clear liquid" becaue it is digested so quickly.
#3 of 3 Old 12-12-2006, 08:10 PM

My DS had surgery at CHOP this AM (all is well), and had to go under general anesthesia. They told me to BF up to 3 hours before, and water up to 2 hours before. If he were formula fed, that would have stopped 6 hours before.

These guidelines are in line with LLL recommendations, but the 4-2 hr recommendation you got is supported by a lot of other organizations, including the Anesthesioloists Society. You could share with them the guidelines CHOP uses and try to get the extra hour, but I don't think you'll be successful getting them to let you BF 2 hours before. It's not like they're treating BM as equivalent to formula, as fluids go.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your LO. If it's any consolation, there were 3 babies this morning. The two BF babies had a MUCH easier time when they woke up, b/c they could nurse. The poor FF baby had to get apple juice in her bottle, and she was screaming so hard, it sounded like she was gargling! Poor thing! So, BM will make a BIG difference following the surgery.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page