Weaning at 9 months to cow's milk?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2003, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found out yesterday that my SIL has "had enough" and wants to wean her dd.

She said she asked her ped about it and he said it would be fine to start her on cow's milk.

Now, her ped is a very old man who has had some other questionable suggestions...

I am worried because her dd is on the small side (16-17 lbs) and I thought that she should go on formula to make sure she is getting enough nutrients.

Am I wrong?

Also, should I say anything and if so, how to word it.

Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2003, 10:34 PM

Yikes! I remember reading somewhere (La Leche League material, most likely) that cow's milk in children under one year old can cause severe allergies and stomach bleeding. 9 months is nowhere near a year, no matter how close she thinks it is! If she must wean, formula is a must. I can't believe the doc would say otherwise - it sounds like his info is 30 years old. If she is feeling overwhelmed with nursing, has she spoken with a La Leche League Leader to brainstorm about how she could change her nursing relationship with her baby (without weaning)? Maybe you could give her the number of a leader in her area? www.lalecheleague.org is the website - you can check under local groups and give her a referral. She may be feeling pressure from her doc to wean - many moons ago they discouraged breastfeeding at all, and the absolute limit they gave moms was 9 months.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:10 PM

When i started my son on bottles during the day his doc said not more than 16oz a day. He was 10 mos old.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:36 PM

Jack Newman (board-certified international lactation consultant, pediatrician, runs a breastfeeding clinic at a hospital here in Toronto) says cow's milk is OK at 6 months.

(toddler is typing along with me)
Old 05-04-2003, 11:59 PM

My mom weaned all of us (me and my 3 brothers) to cow's milk at 9 mos. Now this was 40 plus years ago, but none of us have stomach problems or dairy allergies or intolerance.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:36 AM

A friend of mine gave her baby girl milk at 10 mos. No problems.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:40 AM

she should definetly wean to formula. Also try to let her give it in a cup so she doesn't need to bottle wean too.
Out of curiosity why is she giving up after making it this far?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 05-05-2003, 11:27 AM

that say formula is better than cow's milk. I have friends who weaned to goat's milk as goat's milk is the most comparable to human milk, NOT cow milk.

Dr. Jack Newman has written about this:

"Formula is certainly theoretically more appropriate for babies than cow's milk. But, in fact, there are no clinical studies which show that there is any difference between babies fed cow's milk and those fed formula. Not one."

This is taken from his article, "Breastfeeding and Guilt": http://www.wearsthebaby.com/articles/bfingguilt.html

Susun Weed, an herbalist I deeply respect recommends goat milk or adding a tablespoon of acidophilus liquid or open a capsule of the powder in every eight ounce bottle to make the cow milk more digestible, or substitute a tablespoon of fresh yogurt.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:30 PM

If a baby 6 mos or older is not eating a balanced diet of 3-5 meals a day of table foods, he or she should not be put on cow's milk alone and be expected to thrive. It just does not have the full nutritional requirements for a baby human. A young baby cow, yes. Link:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/milk-supplements.html

Nutritional comparison chart:

http://www.saanendoah.com/compare.html

Artificial baby milk (cow milk formulas) are diluted to decrease sodium, calcium, potassium and protein loads, which can stress your baby's system. They have added sugar, vitamins and minerals (C, selenium, iron, taurine, to name a few) to make them more closely resemble human milk, and are treated to break up into smaller, more easily digested curds than the large rubbery curds cow mlk normally forms when it curdles.

The AAP disagrees with Dr Jack Newman on this subject. (Personally, I do not like his Ultimate Book of Breastfeeding Answers either.)

Good luck convincing your SIL to go against "Dr's Orders" tho!
Old 05-05-2003, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info.

I'm not sure why she is weaning. She said that she has "had enough", whatever that means. I know that she is carrying around some extra weight and her boobs are much bigger which she doesn't like. She weaned her first dd at 11 months to cow's milk also and I remember her saying how nice it was to finally have her body back.

Believe me, it is hard for me not to say anything more because I don't want to alienate her. I am a huge advocate for breastfeeding and child-led weaning so this has been diffiicult for me to keep my big mouth shut! I love breastfeeding my children so much and I wish she enjoyed it as much as I do.

I did email her and tell her that the AAP recommends weaning to formula and gave her a link that explains the nutritional deficiencies of cow's milk as compared to formula. She responded that she would call her Dr. again. whatever. I guess I did what I could.

I never thought I'd be pushing formula!
Old 05-10-2003, 03:23 AM

I would really urge her to use the formula and not go straight to milk. Sure it costs more, but money should not be an issue. There are to many risk factors. I know many children have been put on milk that young and not had problems, but I would not want to take the risk if it were me. Has she considered pumping?

User Tag List