Dr. Sears, Juice Plus and breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-25-2006, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My step brother's wife happens to be a distributor for Juice Plus. We were at their house yesterday and she was telling me about it and offered to let me have a DVD to watch. I declined at first but then when I saw it was Dr. Sears I accepted out of curiosity. The title "9 Simple Steps to a Healthier Family Diet". While the advice was good over all, I was really dissappointed that he made no mention of breastfeeding. What is up with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2006, 02:48 AM

So What does Dr. Sears have to do with the Juice Plus company? Is he advocating drinking Juice Plus?????

I thought juices in general are loaded with sugars, most "juices" being sold actually have little or no juice in them, and are not good for babies to drink? Or kids.

Is Juice Plus 100% juice? I haven't heard of that brand.

Can you give us more info about what Dr. Sears said on the video?

Too bad he doesn't mention breastfeeding.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
Old 12-25-2006, 02:55 AM

Juice plus isn't a juice, it's a supplement made from dehydrated fruits and vegetables.

The only reason I can think of for not mentioning breastfeeding is because it's geared for older people - like age three and above...I know alot of three year olds are still breastfeeding (mine is!) but I don't think this is really something geared for that age group. More like school age, teenagers and adults.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Just for reference, these are the 9 steps...

1. Shape young taste-essentially don't give junk food to small kids.
This seemed like the prime time where he could have said " breastfeeding is the best way to start healthy eating habits, teaches kids to recognize their hunger cues and is the best food for growing minds and bodies"...
2. Feed your family the right carbs.
3. Feed your family the right fats.
4. Feed your family "grow" foods.
5. Raise a grazer.
6. Start the day with a brainy breakfast
7. Lots of different fruits and veggies
8. Take your child to the supermarket.
9. Add a whole foods based supplement. (Juice Plus)

The overall info was good, I was just disappointed that Mr. AP himself didn't mention breastfeeding as a key way to promote healthy eating habits.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:23 AM

It's hard to know the context of this... I'll just say that Dr. Sears is a huge advocate of breastfeeding! Juice Plus doesn't seem to be being marketed for babies...

http://www.juiceplus.com

Dr. Sears on breastfeeding...
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T020100.asp
Old 12-25-2006, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

I understand what you are saying and if the video had been purely geared at selling Juice Plus then I would agree. But the over all message was "do the first 8 steps and, by the way if you can't do those religiously, try Juice Plus" there was certainly room for him to say "breastfeeding is the best way to start healthy eating habits" I know that Dr. Sears supports nursing, that is why I was disappointed.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
Dr. Sears is a huge advocate of breastfeeding!
Yes and No. Here are some old threads about him profitting from formula ads where his voice is used over the intercom at Wal Mart, and from a link to a formula brand at his website.

Please note that these threads are a few years old!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=Sears
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=Sears

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 01-02-2007, 03:34 PM

If you visit his site you'll see a fair number of ads. While I would like to believe that he only recommends and/or allows advertising for products he really believes in, I think the ads are a little troubling. For instance, I wonder if he is a paid consultant for any of these companies?
~Cath
Old 01-02-2007, 11:26 PM

it sounds like youre saying that just because dr sears advocates this stuff that he should have said soemthing about breastfeeding? it was a video about a nutritional supplement..made by a company. why should they be talking about bfing? i think im confused...
Old 01-03-2007, 01:17 AM

Dr Sears also put his name on that awful NoJo padded ring sling, not everything the man touches is gold (but a good majority is.)
Old 01-03-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
it sounds like youre saying that just because dr sears advocates this stuff that he should have said soemthing about breastfeeding? it was a video about a nutritional supplement..made by a company. why should they be talking about bfing? i think im confused...
Breastfeeding is GREAT nutrition, and it is something Dr. Sears believes in. The video gives advice on all kinds of ways to eat healthy/have good nutrition, it's not all about just using the nutritional supplement. So it would have fit in really well to say breastfeeding is an important first step to good nutrition.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
Old 01-03-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me View Post
Dr Sears also put his name on that awful NoJo padded ring sling, not everything the man touches is gold (but a good majority is.)
Even only 8 years ago, though, that was really the only one easily available to a lot of people so I have to give a "pass" on that.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
Even only 8 years ago, though, that was really the only one easily available to a lot of people so I have to give a "pass" on that.
I guess that's true.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Which Dr. Sears are we talking about? There's William Sears and then his son (Barry???). Who is the formula profiteer and who is the Juice Plus man?

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

User Tag List