Baby formula on prescription only? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
I think first we better make sure that everyone can afford health insurance.
say that.
#32 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 03:56 PM

Word.

Once we get single payer health care, public health and health promotion will be the new buzztopics. Why? Dollars and cents, of course.

As far as milk banks go, they have the same screening process as donated blood does. The mechanics and technology are well established and trustworthy. Go look it up with the WHO.

Donated milk is not problematic. It is the lack of infrastructure that is problematic.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#33 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your thoughtful replies, lots of food for thought there!

Just to clarify, I am coming from an Australian perspective, where we have a government funded medicare system, so doctors visits are free, and formula on prescription would be significantly cheaper than buying it over the counter.

I am not really aware of the situation with African American women of lower socio-economic status using formula...so can't comment on that one!

And the giving out of formula samples etc in Australia is something which does not happen.

Even with these measures bf rates are still fairly low, and I do understand that placing restrictions on something may not be ideal, I was just throwing a thought out there, and hoping to be enlightened, as always, good debate here!!

Our government is in the process of holding a parlimentary enquiry into breastfeeding, and the impact it has on the health system as a whole, and ways to support and encourage breastfeeding.

Hopefully we will see some great initiatives come out of it.

Breastmilk banks are on the rise here too, so that is encouraging!
#34 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to think this was a good idea. On the surface, it seems like the perfect solution. Once you really stop to think about it, though, I think it's fairly easy to see that huge numbers of women and babies would suffer because of it. The formula companies would get richer, doctors would get even more kickbacks and benefits for finding reasons to prescribe it, and I think the end effect would be that formula feeding and not breastfeeding would be what ended up being normalized, because everyone who used it would have a doctor's seal of approval.

Maybe, someday, in a ideal world, when every mother knows the truth about breastmilk and formula, and every woman is supported in her decision to breastfeed, and formula companies' power has been reigned in and under control, maybe then it might work. But now? It would be a recipe for disaster. Why not be proactive in promoting breastfeeding instead? Become a peer counselor, a LLL leader, a milk donor. That will truly help to promote breastfeeding.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#35 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I used to think this was a good idea. On the surface, it seems like the perfect solution. Once you really stop to think about it, though, I think it's fairly easy to see that huge numbers of women and babies would suffer because of it. The formula companies would get richer, doctors would get even more kickbacks and benefits for finding reasons to prescribe it, and I think the end effect would be that formula feeding and not breastfeeding would be what ended up being normalized, because everyone who used it would have a doctor's seal of approval.
I never really thought about it like that, that is a good point
but i do still think that it shouldn't be given out for free, this only makes women less likely to breastfeed, i've heard of women saying there going to formula feed cos they are on benefits so its free :

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#36 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
I never really thought about it like that, that is a good point
but i do still think that it shouldn't be given out for free, this only makes women less likely to breastfeed, i've heard of women saying there going to formula feed cos they are on benefits so its free :
I think most people here would agree with you. Of course they shouldn't be giving it away for free! But if it's by prescription only, and a woman has insurance that will cover it completely, and a doctor is willing to prescribe it, it's basically free to her anyway. And sanctioned by her doctor.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#37 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 06:15 PM

You know what *I* think the first step is? I think the US has to grow some backbone, stand up to big business, and follow the WHO code.

but that's just me....

-Angela
#38 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
You know what *I* think the first step is? I think the US has to grow some backbone, stand up to big business, and follow the WHO code.

but that's just me....

-Angela
Amen, Sister!

#39 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 07:04 PM

i'm quitting mdc because mdc is unkind and discriminates against mamas with special needs babies.
#40 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
do they really send free formula to every preggo in the us? and give everyone formula at the hospital?
YES

I got 3 boxes of it before birth

1 after

1 4 months later

i got coponds ever week

I got some at hosptial at birth (refused)

got some the first 3 Ped vivists (also refused)

and if i had stayed with the BO office, they gave some out free at the last couple of ap pts

A

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#41 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna

but that's just me....

-Angela

Amen, Sister!
ITA

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#42 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 07:41 PM

I really don't see who that would help, except actually the formula companies themselves. I can't imagine that the price would go *down* after being made Rx only.

I'm thinking of other things I use that should be OTC and I end up having a really hard time getting. I have to skip months of BC pills every now and then because I haven't had time to go get a PAP. Hell, I can't even get cold medicine in my state without talking to someone behind the counter.

As a WOH, EPer, lowish supply mom to a former preemie, infant nutrition is something I really don't screw around with. You can be sure I have a can of enfamil in my cupboard. I'm thinking of those first few weeks home from the NICU, and between pumping, feeding, trying to nurse, and all the followup dr. appointments, I would have had to have added ONE MORE appointment to go and get the formula Rx.

As I said- it's not going to help anyone.
#43 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
do they really send free formula to every preggo in the us?
NO, they don't. I'm sure this post will be followed by many disagreeing with me, but in my experience, my name was on all kinds of mailing lists - Pampers, Babies R Us, Motherhood Maternity, a subscription to Parenting Magazine - and I never got formula of any kind, no cases, no cans, heck, not even any coupons in the mail. I got the black diaper bag in the hospital with the tiny can of formula in it, and that was it.
#44 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I think most people here would agree with you. Of course they shouldn't be giving it away for free! But if it's by prescription only, and a woman has insurance that will cover it completely, and a doctor is willing to prescribe it, it's basically free to her anyway. And sanctioned by her doctor.
The assumption here is a) the mother has insurance and b) access to regular medical care.

The Center for Disease Control in 2004 studied rates of bfing according to SES. 50% of African-American are breastfed, and that number falls by the time the child is 6 months old. The lower the child is on the SES scale, the less likely the child is being breastfed. Similarly, the lower the child is on the SES scale, the less likely the child is covered by health insurance and receives regular medical care. The CDC study also notes significant biases within the SE group in question against BFing.

Do you honestly believe that restricting access to formula is going to force these mothers to breastfeed? In my estimation, they are more likely to turn to ever more detrimental methods of feeding their babies before they try to breastfeed.

Therefore, a policy of prescription-only access to formula deprives the.most.vulnerable members of our society of nourishment.

Is that really the intent? Do you have any idea how racist a policy that would be?
#45 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.CEH3 View Post
The assumption here is a) the mother has insurance and b) access to regular medical care.

The Center for Disease Control in 2004 studied rates of bfing according to SES. 50% of African-American are breastfed, and that number falls by the time the child is 6 months old. The lower the child is on the SES scale, the less likely the child is being breastfed. Similarly, the lower the child is on the SES scale, the less likely the child is covered by health insurance and receives regular medical care. The CDC study also notes significant biases within the SE group in question against BFing.

Do you honestly believe that restricting access to formula is going to force these mothers to breastfeed? In my estimation, they are more likely to turn to ever more detrimental methods of feeding their babies before they try to breastfeed.

Therefore, a policy of prescription-only access to formula deprives the.most.vulnerable members of our society of nourishment.

Is that really the intent? Do you have any idea how racist a policy that would be?
You must have missed my post where I agree with you and said it would not be a good idea. Thus why I put so many "IF's" in this post--to show how dicey a proposition it would be. I'm a huge advocate of anti-racist and anti-bias living. Of course I know how horrible it would be.

#46 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:

Maybe, someday, in a ideal world, when every mother knows the truth about breastmilk and formula, and every woman is supported in her decision to breastfeed, and formula companies' power has been reigned in and under control, maybe then it might work. But now? It would be a recipe for disaster. Why not be proactive in promoting breastfeeding instead? Become a peer counselor, a LLL leader, a milk donor. That will truly help to promote breastfeeding.
My first post, for Mrs.CEH3.

#47 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
My first post, for Mrs.CEH3.
dude, chill. You as in you plural, you the people reading the thread. No attack meant.
#48 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.CEH3 View Post
dude, chill. You as in you plural, you the people reading the thread. No attack meant.
None was meant on my side either. I only thought that you hadn't seen my first post, judging from your remarks that seemed to completely mischaracterize what I was saying. I would be happy to discuss it via PM if you feel the need to further explore it.

#49 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Well I don't agree. Doctors know squat about bf and will give out ff rx to anyone who wants one.

I think support and education is key, not restriction.
:

babyf.gif

#50 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
None was meant on my side either. I only thought that you hadn't seen my first post, judging from your remarks that seemed to completely mischaracterize what I was saying. I would be happy to discuss it via PM if you feel the need to further explore it.
I realize that, and there is no need to PM.

Again, addressing that discrete comment, and addressing the thread as a whole. Hope this clarifies it for you.
#51 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 10:26 PM

cat.gif

#52 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 10:37 PM

I think this was debated a month or so ago.... let me see if I can find it

Yeah!!! I found it... I'm adding this discussion link because I think some meaningful discussion went on here...
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...iption+formula

Cheers!
#53 of 57 Old 02-18-2007, 12:28 AM

I have been mulling this topic for the past week. I would be in favor of RX for formula becuse it would make the MDs accountable for negative consequences from formula. They would be more likely to educate women about the side effects because now it is them making the desicion along with the Mom instead of all of the responsibility being on the Mom. Low income families could get formula from the same place most get it now-WIC or other state funded programs. Don't fool yourself-people can get a prescription called in to a pharmacy 24 hours a day. They can order months worth of prescriptions through the mail. MDs already get perks from formula reps. This would be no different if they were prescribing. Also, maybe, just maybe, new Moms would start to view formula as it is-a substitute for breastmilk that can have dangerous side effects. Sadly, I think the majority of people in our society think that formula is a benign substance. I don't think that RX for formula means restriction. I think it means that it would be like any other prescription-controlled. Maybe then we could start moving in the direction towards true education regarding formula.
#54 of 57 Old 02-18-2007, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApprenticeMomma View Post
I personally think this would be a great thing.

It would show a clear path to anyone who was having problems, and if they approached their GP about it, hopefully they would be given an immense amount of support to try to overcome their bf problems, and be given a formula prescription only if they were truly in need of it.

It would make the cost of formula a lot more affordable for moms.

It would help to persuade governments that genuine accessible lactation advice/support/ would be very worthwhile

It would send a clear picture that Breast is best, without having to spend millions on advertising.

It may pick up many moms who would otherwise slip through the cracks with a myriad of post partum problems.

What do you think?

I'm very interested to hear everyones take on this!
I have never really thought this was a good idea, but even less so now that I'm dealing with supply issues and needing to supplement with formula. I'm trying to picture what someone would do if they ran out in the middle of the night, or over a weekend, or when their doc was on vacation, or... what should you do, let your baby starve?

I hate having to supplement, but I'm grateful formula exists for my hungry girl! And I'm glad I didn't need a prescription for it... like in the midst of this I need one more thing to be a hassle and make me feel bad... like the SNS and pumping aren't hassle enough!!!
#55 of 57 Old 02-18-2007, 05:52 AM

I think it's a good idea. Maybe not in the US where access to healthcare isn't as good as in other countries, but in principle, I can see how this idea has merit for all the reasons Apprenticemomma gave.
In Gabrielle Palmer's book, The Politics of Breastfeeding, I read something that blew me away....which was (paraphrasing here) "there's enough human milk in all the world to feed all human babies"...so wouldn't it be great if there were more milk banks? There would still be some babies needing formula, but these would clearly be in a very special category of complex medical condtitions. Women who can't provide their own breast milk for their babies shouldn't be penalized for it. I guess I don't see the prescription as a penalty. It shouldn't be seen as that in an ideal world.
#56 of 57 Old 02-18-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
I also think this would be a good idea, at the moment people on benefits can get free formula which i think makes them less likely to bf cos a lot of people just say well its free so might as well use it : imo formula should be prescription only for those who truely need it, there should also be a hell of a lot more support for breastfeeding mums
I am on wic. I have the option to recieve "free" formula. but saying that if people can recieve "free" formula through *benefits* they WILL is slightly offensive.

and prescription drugs are overused already...why would formula be any different? it wouldn't.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#57 of 57 Old 02-18-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWAXSMOM View Post
Don't fool yourself-people can get a prescription called in to a pharmacy 24 hours a day. They can order months worth of prescriptions through the mail.
Yes, people can call in prescriptions 24hrs a day, but only people with:

-Phones
-Insurance
-Regular connection with a doctor or clinic
-Medical practices that have a person on-call 24 hours
-Transportation to the pharmacy
-Money to pay for the co-pay (if they have insurance).
-live in a community with a 24 hour pharmacy. Not everyone lives in the burbs or city.

It think this proposal comes from a place of relative privelege in society. I would be fine if I needed formula and it was 2 AM and available by prescription only. Many women would have many barriers in place.

Further, making drugs available OTC lessens the cost, not increases it. I think formula by prescription only would actually increase the cost per ounce. Remember that being covered by insurance does not make something free. We pay for it through taxes or higher premiums or less health benefits in the end. This would have the unintended consequence of raising the overall cost of healthcare.

That said, I would support a ban on free samples to women that are otherwise able to breastfeed, maternity leave laws and considerable funding for professional pumps and home LC visits for low income women that are either not insured or on Medicaid or state insurance. Want more people to breastfeed longer? Remove the barriers to being sucessful at breastfeeding.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page