Baby formula on prescription only? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I personally think this would be a great thing.

It would show a clear path to anyone who was having problems, and if they approached their GP about it, hopefully they would be given an immense amount of support to try to overcome their bf problems, and be given a formula prescription only if they were truly in need of it.

It would make the cost of formula a lot more affordable for moms.

It would help to persuade governments that genuine accessible lactation advice/support/ would be very worthwhile

It would send a clear picture that Breast is best, without having to spend millions on advertising.

It may pick up many moms who would otherwise slip through the cracks with a myriad of post partum problems.

What do you think?

I'm very interested to hear everyones take on this!
#2 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 12:02 PM

When I first started becoming a bit of lactivist, I too thought this was the answer. Then I read that doing this would cause people who really didn't want to breastfeed but had no real reason not, to start making their own formula. We would be back to the days of cows milk and corn syrup.

While formula has its risk, cows milk and corn syrup have more risks.

And you would always have doctors that wouldn't prescribe it when was really needed, or you would have doctors that would prescribe it no matter what. Formula is the first thing most doctors turn to when there is any problem. Why would that change?

Maybe it is something we could work towards but alot of things would have to change before this could be a reality.
#3 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 12:09 PM

I agree with OP

this has been my thing for YEARS

that way if you NEED it -- then you get it, and insurence would hlep pay

if you don't need it but need SUPPORT, help, answers or whatever you get LC........

great PP support that most don't get today.

yes -- some fools will do stupid things, fools do stupid things every day -- we can not allow that to be our guide.

we just hope that the foolish people not feeding the baby bm or Rx AM get caught by the Ped and refered -- either to help with BF or for a Rx......

we can not make all the desisons in this country based on "what is the bumbest person going to do" as Murphys Lawsd says you can't makes someing fool proof as fools are so smart.

YES

AM -- should be Rx ONLY for a true medially documented need (ie mom has cancer, mom has many reoccuring cases of thrush, mom is adoptive, mom needs strong maintain medication......).

Let the flames start -- (I get really tired of beig flamed for supporting BF on MDC inteh breastfeeding area -- but it ALWAYS happenes...)

A

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#4 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 PM

I think that *big picture* it's a good idea. However we are in need of much much more education before we're anywhere near a place that that would help or be a good idea.

-Angela
#5 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 12:21 PM

I fully agree with the OP and with aimee, but also as angela said, unfortunatly we are a ways from there. I have always said formula should be by rx only, and that more support is needed. If the info got to all the mom's i'm pretty sure more would choose to bf.
#6 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 12:24 PM

I also think this would be a good idea, at the moment people on benefits can get free formula which i think makes them less likely to bf cos a lot of people just say well its free so might as well use it : imo formula should be prescription only for those who truely need it, there should also be a hell of a lot more support for breastfeeding mums

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#7 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 12:28 PM

I think it is a bad idea. First of all, doctors will give out formula rx like candy. Second, it will make it seem like formula is better because it is a prescription like a medicine. Lastly, I don't want to take away choice.

I want to educate and support women in choosing breastfeeding. I don't think forcing people to breastfeed is going to do anyone any good.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#8 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 12:32 PM

i think that as long as fourmuals are giving it away free untill moms are hooked -- and we all know late lacation is tough or nearly impossible if you wait too long --

as long as the hosptial give it to you even when you tell them " I will BF only" "I will BF within 39 minutes of ANY birth" and "no nipples, we will use and ng tube if medically necessary" (geee you THINK they'd get that I am BF and not AM feed???)

As long as it is seen as NORAML and we are seen as the exception --

i do not see how to make a full flip flop (as it should be) with out drastic actiaon

now -- if you want to aruge that FDA and congress will never do it -- that is true -- but to think "now is not the time" -- wellllll then when is the time........we are not going to get the nation off its addiction to AM without something BIG

A

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#9 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I think it is a bad idea. First of all, doctors will give out formula rx like candy. Second, it will make it seem like formula is better because it is a prescription like a medicine. Lastly, I don't want to take away choice.

I want to educate and support women in choosing breastfeeding. I don't think forcing people to breastfeed is going to do anyone any good.
I totally agree with you. Also, I do not think it is wise to have something like infant feeding "controlled" by the government or anybody else. That seems very inappropriate and unsettling to me.

I think it would be amazing if most mothers breastfed, but do not think force is the way to go. Educating people and making sure they realize the harmful effects of formula feeding to make them *want* to breastfeed would be far more beneficial.
#10 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 12:45 PM

I would prefer to see human milk understood as normal to the point that it is the first consideration in any circumstance. Meaning, donor milk would be readily available and affordable as a first second choice for moms who can not nor will not breastfeed.
#11 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunchaCrunch View Post
I totally agree with you. Also, I do not think it is wise to have something like infant feeding "controlled" by the government or anybody else. That seems very inappropriate and unsettling to me.

I think it would be amazing if most mothers breastfed, but do not think force is the way to go. Educating people and making sure they realize the harmful effects of formula feeding to make them *want* to breastfeed would be far more beneficial.
you do have a pont there
although i do think they should giveing formula for free to those on low incomes, breastmilk is free if they can't afford formula they shouldn't use it imo free formula undermines breastfeeding

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#12 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
free formula undermines breastfeeding
Do I ever agree with that! I have never understood why programs such as WIC do not offer better breastfeeding education. Not only is breastmilk free, but typically breastfed babies are not ill as often as fff babies, so money can be saved in additional ways than just formula costs. I could be mistaken, but doesn't WIC only provide a minimum amount of formula? Formula is not cheap and it really is a huge disservice to not provide mothers with breastfeeding education as it could really make a large difference in their finances, in addition to everything else of course. WIC's last of proper infant feeding education truly causes more harm than good.
#13 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunchaCrunch View Post
Do I ever agree with that! I have never understood why programs such as WIC do not offer better breastfeeding education. Not only is breastmilk free, but typically breastfed babies are not ill as often as fff babies, so money can be saved in additional ways than just formula costs. I could be mistaken, but doesn't WIC only provide a minimum amount of formula? Formula is not cheap and it really is a huge disservice to not provide mothers with breastfeeding education as it could really make a large difference in their finances, in addition to everything else of course. WIC's last of proper infant feeding education truly causes more harm than good.
WIC is funded in large part by the dairy industry.

Mystery solved.

-Angela
#14 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 01:36 PM

How would that make formula cheaper? My husband works retail and I know that their stores take a hit every time someone buys formula from them - they have to price it below cost to keep it competitive. All I could see happening would be that formula prices would go through the roof, which would hurt people who have to use it.

All of your other points I totally see and understand (and agree!!), but that one I'm a little confused on

The other problem I could see would be that people like me who have babies who genuinely need formula - if you have to get a prescription, you might not be able to switch brands as easily which could also cause problems. Just a thought.

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#15 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
WIC is funded in large part by the dairy industry.

Mystery solved.

-Angela
Wow! I never realized this....explains a lot that is for sure. :
#16 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
Let the flames start -- (I get really tired of beig flamed for supporting BF on MDC inteh breastfeeding area -- but it ALWAYS happenes...)

A
You honestly don't see a difference between supporting BF and making formula prescription-only? There's a vast in-between area there, one that involves education and more support for BFing.

This isn't a flame, but if you choose to view it as one, be assured it's not because you're "supporting breastfeeding." It's me disagreeing because you're supporting prescription-only formula.

DS born 4 May 2013.
#17 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 01:58 PM

Yeah I don't see how making formula prescription only is in any way supporting breastfeeding.

#18 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 02:26 PM

WIC offices are differnt, some ARE much more supportive of BF .. it all depends.

BUT any gov "help" is always going to be determined by funding, and not upsetting big business -- AM had a BB and BM does not.

Quote:
if you have to get a prescription, you might not be able to switch brands as easily which could also cause problems.
just call the doctor -- be it 3 am or what -- they have services. no differnt than having a reaction to a blood pressure medication after hours.

#19 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Yeah I don't see how making formula prescription only is in any way supporting breastfeeding.

It's not. It is simply marginalizing and demonizing those women, mostly lower-income women of color, who formula feed. It's pretty patriarchal if you ask me.

Education and encouragement is the way to go...not restriction and control. Surely we who have the advantage of education would want the same for those less fortunate.
#20 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 02:39 PM

the idea to get to a point where F is not sent through the mail to every pg mom.

to a point where hospitals are not handing out F to every mom -- without need "just in case"

to get F to be the "odd thing out" to be the not-the-norm

to present it as what it IS -- a 2nd option to be used ONLY if necessary -- not the best option or even an equal option....

#21 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 02:42 PM

Well I don't agree. Doctors know squat about bf and will give out ff rx to anyone who wants one.

I think support and education is key, not restriction.

#22 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 02:43 PM

I still maintain that the message will be more likely to fall on fertile ground if it is presented as education and enlightenment, not YOU BETTER DO THIS OR YOU'LL HAVE TO GO TO THE DRUGSTORE AND SEE THE DOCTOR OH MY GOD.

Again, most formula-feeders are women of color on the lower rungs of the socio-economic scale. They are often struggling to keep body and soul together. How is adding to their burden by adding a chore to their days being supportive of them? How is that just? Where is the solidarity with our sisters?
#23 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 02:48 PM

EXactly and it may be an attempt to normalize breastfeeding, but there is absolutely nothing in tha action that is actually *supportive* of breastfeeding.

#24 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 03:01 PM

The idea sounds great, but what about WOHM moms? If they work for a small company, they may not be eligible for FMLA (or they may not be able to afford unpaid time). They may be LVP (low-volume pumpers) or may have a job that's not pumping-friendly (waitress, public transportation bus driver, etc.).

So now they have to justify a medical "need" to get formula?

And on the spare day of the week where I'm a few ounces short, now my DS can't get few ounces of formula without a prescription? So I basically have to call into the Dr's office for a prescription because I had a bad pumping day?

I just don't think this is the answer. There would need to be a whole host of other breastfeeding-friendly changes to society before this could happen. Give me a year of paid leave and THEN tell me I can only get formula with a prescription -- fine. No problem. I'm with you. Until then, no.
#25 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
the idea to get to a point where F is not sent through the mail to every pg mom.

to a point where hospitals are not handing out F to every mom -- without need "just in case"

to get F to be the "odd thing out" to be the not-the-norm

to present it as what it IS -- a 2nd option to be used ONLY if necessary -- not the best option or even an equal option....
:

-Angela
#26 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 03:17 PM

Formula is not the second choice. It is the FOURTH choice. The WHO says:

-feeding at the breast is best
-pumped milk from mama is second best
-donated milk is third best
-formula is fourth best

We need more milk banks. We need to pay mamas a nominal amount for their pumped milk, and then distribute it to low supply, hard to pump at work, or whatever moms. It would be like "donated" plasma. Better that the money go to mamas than to formula companies.

Formula is the default method of feeding, and that must change. I think that breastfeeding and milk bank support is definetely part of the solution. But we have to work the other end of the equasion, and that is, sadly, attaching a stigma to formula. Please note: not a stigma to bottles. Not a stigma to mothers who have to formula feed. A stigma to formula, which is manufactured for profit, by evil companies, who care more about making money than public health... just like tobacco. That's the only way to reduce demand that I can think of.

We can overnight ship stuff anywhere in the world... I would gladly pump and donate for free if there was any infrastructure out there to do so.

So yeah, I don't think making formula rx is a bad idea, neccesarily, but you'd have to back it up with real support for moms who cannot bf, or who need to supplement. We need some type of milk bank network.

Oh, and, for what it's worth... I know people who still make homemade formula. I also know an adopted baby who was fed fresh goat's milk (before hypoallergenic formula was widely available) rather than formula. So I don't think making formula rx would change all that much in this regard.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#27 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 03:41 PM

I think it's a rubbish idea. As Captain Jack Aubrey so wisely said - in the service, you have to choose the lesser of two weevils. Banning formula is a bit like banning abortion - well meant, of course, but then, the desperate people have to resort to Kool-Aid and coat hangers.

The lactivist way to go, imo, is to lobby for a ban on formula freebies. That's the way it works in my country, mostly - hospitals only get a certain rating if they ban the freebies, and I don't think the formula companies can send out samples for the early stages, only the 5+ month samples.

Donated milk - now there's a pretty problem. Would you really trust all those mamas to be entirely free of HIV and other nasty viruses? I know I wouldn't! The farthest I'd go is find a trustworthy wetnurse, but I'd keep her under my eye pretty closely.

Have any of you ever been in a situation where the choice for your baby was either to starve or to get formula? No. I'd thought as much. Once you've been there, formula does turn into, as it were, the lesser of two weevils.
#28 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
[QUOTE=lizanneh;7318115]The idea sounds great, but what about WOHM moms? So now they have to justify a medical "need" to get formula?

And on the spare day of the week where I'm a few ounces short, now my DS can't get few ounces of formula without a prescription? So I basically have to call into the Dr's office for a prescription because I had a bad pumping day? /QUOTE]

ITA Lizanneh. It's not a either or situation. You can successfully BF and still use a bit of formula. DS is 13 months and I'm still nursing. I had to go back to work when he was 3 months old. He was exclusively BFed until just about 6 months. I had a terrible commute and my pumping supply suffered. We started supplementing with formula.

DS still nurses once at night, before I go to work, and before bed, plus the weekends. I'm doing everything "right" according to the MDC gods...nursed on demand, co-slept, delayed solids, etc. Why must I go beg to a doctor when I don't truly have a problem and was committed to BFing right from the start? :

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#29 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 03:42 PM

I think establishing more milk banks and having them more affordable is an important goal.

#30 of 57 Old 02-16-2007, 03:45 PM

I think first we better make sure that everyone can afford health insurance.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page