Daycare charges more for breastfed babies!!!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 88 Old 02-22-2007, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://thelactivist.blogspot.com/200...arges-mom.html
Sadly, I have witnessed this attitude at daycare centers- almost like they resent natural mothering.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 88 Old 02-22-2007, 09:22 PM

unbeleivable. :
#3 of 88 Old 02-22-2007, 09:28 PM

Disgusting.

, , , and

#4 of 88 Old 02-22-2007, 09:30 PM

That's ridiculous. When my kids were in daycare, there were plenty of moms (including me) who brought breastmilk for their babies. There wasn't any special handling required at all!! A biohazard indeed - sounds like the owner the daycare needs one of those tattooed on here forehead.

Thanks for the link. I will be emailing the daycare center.
#5 of 88 Old 02-22-2007, 10:56 PM

You know, I am totally not sue happy - but I really think she should sue for discrimination. That is SO friggin ridiculous.

Oh, and for the comment about confusing bm with uranium.
#6 of 88 Old 02-22-2007, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think those mothers need to file some complaints with the regulatory agency that licensing those centers. They are clearly not following the official rules.

"What will you do once you know?"
#7 of 88 Old 02-22-2007, 11:59 PM

And now they may be BANNING breastfed babies?

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#8 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am appreciating my daycare more and more. They don't feed DS meat or cow milk, they let me use cloth diapers, and I was able to nurse him in a rocking chair at lunchtime.

It's very sad, however, that out of all the babies there (including one whose mother worked right there in the daycare), DS was the only baby that was fully breastfed. There was one other that got breastfed at night, but formula at daycare. Out of about 30 kids under 18 months.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#9 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 01:34 AM

That is absolutely horrible. It is hard enough to work and continue to breastfeed. I can;t believe that an industry that is supposed to care about babies and children and their welfare and development would have such weird attitudes about breastfeeding. :
#10 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 03:07 AM

Ridiculous. Unbelievable. My hospital doesn't take those sort of precautions. Offensive, bigoted.
#11 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 03:50 AM

Sounds like the daycare owner is a bitter ff mom (I'm not saying all ff moms are bitter, I'm saying the type that feel insulted whenever the topic of bf comes up, the type that talks down about bfing because they didn't suceed or chose not to bf.)
#12 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 07:29 AM

that is absolutly crazy. at the center i worked at breast milk and formula bottles were treated the same. no bio hazard stickers or special warmers or fridges, and certainly no extra fee's, lol.... i think shes setting herself up for a major lawsuit. this says it all for me

Quote:
"Well, I have to see, I think there is a new policy about breastmilk. We might charge extra or maybe we aren't taking them any more. It's nothing with me or the director but the owner has a problem with breastmilk."

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#13 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 08:03 AM

wow... just wow!
#14 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 08:41 AM

That is so ridiculous I don't even know what to say besides that.
#15 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 10:06 AM

That is crazy. I hope somebody sues.
#16 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 10:48 AM

That's beyond ignorant. :

My son's DCC always told me how they wished more mamas would do it there. In fact, the teacher in the infant room will STILL, years later, compliments me on it, saying how hard it must be but, "You can see it's worth it!"
#17 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 11:50 AM

Wow, and to think that I was annoyed when my home daycare refused to use my cloth diapers (the AIO's that work exactly like disposables....except that she wouldn't have had to dispose of them in her home - they would have gone right back into the diaper bag).

I wish I had the funds to open up an AP friendly daycare in my city. Of course, FF babies would be accepted, because I'm PC like that.
#18 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Shameful and disgusting.

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

#19 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 12:13 PM

Unbelieveable.

Getting my letter writing hat on......
#20 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 12:19 PM

That is just amazingly stupid.

Ugh...I can't take it.

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#21 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My e-mail:

I heard from a friend that it is the policy of CityKids Daycare to charge more money per week for breastfed children? $50/week to be exact. If this is true, shame on you. Breastfeeding mothers have enough obstacles to overcome, and a ridiculous lack of support, which is incredulous in itself. BREASTMILK is the best thing you can feed your child, and to be punished for it is absurd. It is my understanding that formula is quite a lot more work to prepare than breastmilk, so if you have some kind of hang-up because you didn't breastfeed your child and are guilt-ridden you should get over it. It is an extremely unfair and biased policy, and I hope once the press gets a hold of this people boycott your facility.

Disgusted,
A concerned breastfeeding mother

I am not feeling very nice this morning :
#22 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 01:27 PM

LOL! I was just coming here to post this, I should have known that you guys are on top of things.

Anyway, direct link to the story because the link posted will now take you to the story on the PA nurse-in.

http://thelactivist.blogspot.com/200...arges-mom.html

So as with the Pork thing, please do help spread the word. If you blog, then please blog about it. Call, send emails, etc. It took three days for us to turn the Pork Board around, surely we can "help" this day care center see the light.

Also, if you are in Ohio and you'd be interested in attending a nurse-in, drop me an email. We're compiling an email list in case it hits that point.

Right now, she's considering a potential civil suit to recover the excess costs. The bigger concern though is to see about pushing through some new legislation or new code that would make it illegal to discriminate against breastfed infants.

Amazingly, only Louisiana has this law in place right now.
#23 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

I sent an email expressing my disgust :
#24 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 01:56 PM

My email I just sent:

To whom this may concern:

I was recently informed that it is the policy of CityKids Daycare to charge fifty dollars more per week for breastfed children. Apparently, the owner feels that breastmilk is in some way a potentially dangerous body fluid. Actually, it is the opposite. The Centers for Disease Control and OSHA only require taking personal protective precautions (ie...latex gloves and/or cover gowns) when handling human milk in a milk bank. Day-to-day handling, such as in hospitals or daycare centers do NOT require any extraordinaty precautions. An owner or operator of a daycare facility should, if anything, commend mothers who breastfeed, especially those who continue to breastfeed after returning to work, as breastfed children are healthier than their formula-fed counterparts. I bet that it is safe to say that if more infants and children in your facility were breastfed, there would be much less illness, and as a mother whose children used to attend a daycare center, I am very familiar with how easily viruses and bacterial infections spread through childcare centers.

Perhaps a little review of the benefits of breastmilk would be beneficial to your staff. I will be sure to let all of my breastfeeding friends in the Columbus area NOT to use your center until your policy is changed.

: : :

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#25 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 02:24 PM

disgustusting....just plain disgustusting :
#26 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 02:27 PM

If I ever got arrested for NIP....I would go so f ing ballistic. This makes me crazy mad!
#27 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 02:34 PM

Ms. Elam,

Lactivism has been a necessary political development based on the ongoing discrimination mothers who breastfeed experience in many aspects of their lives. Given the outrageous and discriminatory stance, that your own employees don't even approve of, leading to overcharging for breastfed babies in your care, it was only a matter of time before you were targeted for activism.

Your stated reasons about the "biohazardous" nature of milk and the "added expense of handling it" don't hold water. I have looked at Ohio's regulations regarding the handling of formula and of breastmilk. If the rationale is to charge for that which requires more special care and work - formula requirements are clearly more onerous!

The national lactivist movement, which I am extremely involved in, has been very successful at drawing media attention to businesses who discriminate--think Starbucks, Delta/Freedom, Borders, Toys R US, Victoria's Secret. All took a PR hit and were forced to apologize and change their policies. Do you really want your daycare center to the be one cited in news stories for the next year or so while an Ohio contingent of lactivists conducts protests at your business and gets a law on the books that prevents daycare centers from discriminating against breastfed babies? Do you really think that your business will thrive with that reputation - given how any smart 2007 mama will google the name of her daycare center to see if any bad things have happened there?

I am sorry you have such a negative feeling about breastmilk, the optimal and safest form of infant nutrition. Often times mothers who were unsuccessful with nursing or felt judged for not doing so have this attitude, but you are a business woman and you need to think beyond your own personal bias. From a health perspective you are in the wrong, from a business stance you are in the wrong, and- in my opinion- from a moral stance you are wrong. Please consider your next steps carefully. A press release announcing a change in policy and a refund to the mother in question of all overcharges would be a great first step.

Lorrie Leigh
#28 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 02:43 PM

OMG!!! I called and asked about it and the woman told me that they consider it the same as centers who do not accept non potty trained children. Breastmilk = feces.
#29 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 02:52 PM

Ugh, I was horrified at the story and even more horrified when I realized that it was only about an hr away from me.
#30 of 88 Old 02-23-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml41981 View Post
OMG!!! I called and asked about it and the woman told me that they consider it the same as centers who do not accept potty trained children. Breastmilk = feces.
WHAT????????????????

Oh, I'm pretty tempted to drive down there now. :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page