Upcoming Supernanny show - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 137 Old 03-10-2007, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
*sigh* What we really need is some of the MDC nannies to start a show. : I'd totally watch a show on parenting run by SupraKid
that would be sooo cool

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 137 Old 03-10-2007, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Does the Supernanny show have a message board thread like a lot of networks do?

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#63 of 137 Old 03-10-2007, 03:06 PM

So this is what I emailed:

To whom this may concern,

Recently I viewed a preview of an up coming show and am not only disturbed but infuriated. In it a mother is chastised about her breastfeeding relationship with her child by “Super Nanny” Jo Frost. As a healthcare provider and mother, I am appalled that you would ever hold breastfeeding in a negative light! Millions of people watch your show and I am sure many are taking notes on how they can implement her advice into their own family. You state in the description of your “Super Nanny” “her simple methods stress consistency, communication and responsible consequences for poor behavior, all delivered with loving firmness”, responsible consequences? What about the consequences to that child’s health by telling the mother to stop breastfeeding? The American Academy of Pediatrics currently recommends that "Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child". The World Health Organization and UNICEF recommend that babies be breastfed for at least two years. I am sure that mother has endured criticism for breastfeeding beyond 6 months as well as wearing her child. Both of which are proven to help her child as well as her health and happiness, Jo Frost’s ignorant criticism was just that ignorant! You should do some research before you attack a mother who has done her homework on what is best for her and her families health. For information regarding breastfeeding you can visit:

The La Leche League International web site http://www.llli.org/
The World Health Organization http://www.who.int/
Baby wearing information from http://www.thebabywearer.com/

Regards,

Maria W
Mother to my happy thriving baby worn, breastfed little boy
#64 of 137 Old 03-10-2007, 03:21 PM

I will be waiting until the show airs to write in. I agree w/the person that said that the letters will be much stronger and better detailed if we wait until AFTER the show is aired. Editing can really take things out of context sometimes. Also, I haven't seen the preview I don't watch much tv, so if there is no way it was taken out of context, disregard that.

I also believe though, that a woman who has been nursing and baby-wearing up to 14 months isn't going to listen to Nanny Jo simply because she said to stop. I know that it took a lot of education and willpower to nurse up to the point I have and I know that my choice to extended nurse is educated and nothing anyone tells me would change that decision, and I'm pretty sure that goes the same for anyone else that has put forth the effort and energy to nurse that long.

Also, I am new to babywearing (yes, sadley, I am just starting to babywear at 14 months) and I know that no show is going to change my decision to wear my toddler.

With that being said, I am the most annoyed by this episode about to air because my family watches this show. Needless to say , I'm going to get a lot of heat for it. I am the only woman in my family that has nursed beyond 3 days (though my step-aunt managed to go to 2 and 3 months) and they think I'm a bit loopy for still nursing at 14 months. My mom also told me that she noticed that most moms she's met or seen on tv that use slings tend to be very strange, and she doesnt want me to get that rap just because I feel like wearing my DD :| So this show is going to reassure their opinions that they already think are right because they are so dang uneducated about it all!! And that is really what irritates me the most!
#65 of 137 Old 03-10-2007, 03:28 PM

I think that's a great letter. I haven't seen the preview but if there's any mention of cutting a BFing relationship short, I would feel perfectly justified in writing the producers before the show aired. Maybe they will edit it if they get enough criticism!

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#66 of 137 Old 03-10-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann21 View Post
I think that's a great letter. I haven't seen the preview but if there's any mention of cutting a BFing relationship short, I would feel perfectly justified in writing the producers before the show aired. Maybe they will edit it if they get enough criticism!
This is what I am thinking too. I agree that letters after the show could be more specific, etc, but what can come of that? If we are all watching the show, the producers will be getting what they want...ratings. They probably aren't going to attribute those ratings to extended bfing supports either, but to the shock value from those who think it is "wrong".

I haven't seen the trailer, but what are the odds that extended bfing is going to be shown in a negative light. Pretty high, I would think. What is accomplished by waiting to do something? All the people who see the show, who may already be convinced bfing past a year is wrong, will just have fuel added to their fire. It won't matter what happens after that. Those people will put more pressure on us, and on any mamas out there who are bfing and bwing but don't have support to keep going. Mamas may begin to doubt themselves. And what, the network may issue an apology on their website or something, never air the episode again. Will it really make a difference? I think the most can be accomplished by writing now to express concern about the upcoming episode. I think the best outcome is for the episode to be edited or not shown.

The other thing that bothers me is the possibility of an inappropriate weaning occuring on the show. What are the ramifications of that?
#67 of 137 Old 03-10-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
if there's any mention of cutting a BFing relationship short, I would feel perfectly justified in writing the producers before the show aired.
What I'd like to see, if they're still going to air the episode, is a statement at the end. Something like, "The AAP [or other health organizations] has recommended that breastfeeding continue well past the first year of life. This program is not intended to discourage healthy infant feeding practices."
#68 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonP'titBoudain View Post
This is why I logged on tonight! I saw this stupid preview and got so mad! How does one do a nurse-in against a tv-show?!?! Seriously, in the preview she was so snarky and mean about it. And I don't think it is just in regards to extended nursing but about babywearing, too (there was some comment about having the baby attached to her "like a koala"). Ooooh, I am so MAD! It is such ignorant bull****. And how many people are going to watch this and believe that she is right with her lack of education on the subject?!?!
I logged in to post about this, too! The voiceover at the end said something like "Somebody get the baby a bottle! On the season finale of Super Nanny...."

So, according to the show's own copy, a 14 month old is still baby, and a bottle is still appropriate for this particular baby? But, not the breast?

I want Super Nanny to come to my house. She and I could chat while I tandem my 16mo and my 34 mo. And, I'm not even crunchy. lol
#69 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 12:47 AM

Actually, don't most health and medical associations suggest taking the bottle away at 12 months but breastfeeding as long as mutually decided upon by mom and baby?

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#70 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emnjjsmom View Post
I will be waiting until the show airs to write in. I agree w/the person that said that the letters will be much stronger and better detailed if we wait until AFTER the show is aired. Editing can really take things out of context sometimes. Also, I haven't seen the preview I don't watch much tv, so if there is no way it was taken out of context, disregard that.
So, the production recieves a bunch of letters AFTER the fact. What does that say to them? Their sensationalistic promo worked. Yahoo! Let's do MORE anti-BF stuff! "Dem dere broads all get real worked up and tune right in!" I say write before and let the production know you won't be watching. Ever again. And you'll be spreading the word.
#71 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Along the same topic...Promom has a 3 minute activist letter about the Supernanny book on their site. Apparently the book is very negative in regards to breastfeeding.

Just one of the quotes from the book:

"More often, a breastfed baby will continue to want a 'feeding' even when your supply is next to nothing... what she wants is the continued comfort of the breast, not the milk itself… She’s using the nipple as pacifier."

http://www.promom.org/3min/3min_supe...ebruary06.html

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#72 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 03:17 AM

Hm, using the nipple as a pacifier..... she acts as if the pacifer is the original, natural thing and the nipple is somehow....I dunno, less than or inappropriate. My child nurses for comfort, Im eight mos pg and my milk has been gone since the first trimester. So to that statement Id have to say And? Your point? Argh! I HATE this show! Mostly because my mother LOVES it and already thinks Im wrong and "everyone" she knows agrees with HER and this will just reinforce it. Im sure I'll be getting a phone call after that show. God whats wrong with people? How many moms are going to not nurse past a year because of this irresponsible drivel? DD nursed until 39 mos and probally would not have stopped had I not gotten pg and the milk dried up. DS2 is 26 mos and still going strong.

Im all for a MDC nanny show, come on, let's all chip in our lunch money for the startup!! Who wants to be the nanny?

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#73 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 05:05 AM

What I sent (I agree, I'd like a disclaimer on the show itself the first time it airs):

To Whom It May Concern:

I saw the preview for your season finale tonight, and am so glad to see you addressing bottle use in infants beyond the age of one. As you are undoubtedly aware, both the American Dental Association and the AAP recommend that parents who bottlefeed their infants switch to cups and use pacifiers (if necessary) after one year of age due to the risk of maldevelopment of the jaw, dental issues, and more.

I am confident that, as you purport to be a show which contains factual, accurate parenting information, you will not only share this information with your viewing audience, but will also hilight the fact that the mother in this finale, in choosing to breastfeed beyond a year of age, is following the recommendations of:
AAP
WHO
UNICEF
AAFP (American Association of Family Physicians)
The U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services
The Candian Pediatric Association
...And many, many more important and respected health institutions.

In the "off" chance that you may have neglected to recognize this important recommendation, which so many women are criticized for following as the general public is quite unaware of it, it might behoove you to add, at the end of your show, a brief statement which informs your viewers of the recommendations - in re: bottlefeeding duration (12 months and cease) and breastfeeding duration (a MINIMUM of 1-2 years and beyond as long as mother/infant are comfortable).

I'm looking forward to your responsible handling of this situation on your show. I love the twist that you're pretending that the nanny or anyone else would suggest a bottle introduction at a time when it's dangerous for children to continue using one, as a substitute for a practice recommended by all major health authorities! Looking forward to your educating the general public about that.

My step-MIL loves this show. I think a lot of people get so wrapped up in her emphasis on "consistency" and parental communication that they miss the larger picture - which is paying attention to your childrens' developmental stages, respecting each other, etc. Anyone who's taken an actual child development course has learned that nanny's style of parenting (authoritarian) has poor results, long-term, vs. (I think it's called "authoritative," where parents have clear consequences and expectations but children are taught the WHY and HOW, not just the WHAT of a particular situation).

Not all who wander are lost.
#74 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw the preview a few times today too and I was so mad. I told DP about it and he told me to "get on that website you post on and tell everyone to write a letter." He knows me too well.
#75 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmsunshine View Post
I just went to the show's website to check this out and the "commercial" that they are running doesn't have anything about BFing and the family shown doesn't even appear to have toddlers... I must be missing something or maybe they already have received so much negative response from the on-air commercials that they've changed the next show??

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#76 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

You have to keep digging. I finally found it on the offical site.

"Anthony and Alice Walker have their hands full. They have three children – Anthony Jr, 12, Naleila, 6, and Alyssa, 17 months, plus Marcus, a nephew who lives with them full-time – and a thriving daycare business based in their home. Mom’s outsize personality and attitude has rubbed off on the kids, and they’re doing whatever they feel like. Unsure of how to regain control she resorts to chasing them around the house trying to mete out discipline. Anthony Jr is a master of backchat, and Naleila and Alyssa spend their nights snuggled up with Mom and Dad. Alice wants help to set boundaries… and Dad’s just looking for a good night’s sleep! Will Jo succeed in turning the Walkers around?"

#77 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 01:47 PM

Oh goody, so they're also taking on co-sleeping. Well this show just gets better and better, doesn't it?
#78 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
What I sent (I agree, I'd like a disclaimer on the show itself the first time it airs):

To Whom It May Concern:

I saw the preview for your season finale tonight, and am so glad to see you addressing bottle use in infants beyond the age of one. As you are undoubtedly aware, both the American Dental Association and the AAP recommend that parents who bottlefeed their infants switch to cups and use pacifiers (if necessary) after one year of age due to the risk of maldevelopment of the jaw, dental issues, and more.

I am confident that, as you purport to be a show which contains factual, accurate parenting information, you will not only share this information with your viewing audience, but will also hilight the fact that the mother in this finale, in choosing to breastfeed beyond a year of age, is following the recommendations of:
AAP
WHO
UNICEF
AAFP (American Association of Family Physicians)
The U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services
The Candian Pediatric Association
...And many, many more important and respected health institutions.

In the "off" chance that you may have neglected to recognize this important recommendation, which so many women are criticized for following as the general public is quite unaware of it, it might behoove you to add, at the end of your show, a brief statement which informs your viewers of the recommendations - in re: bottlefeeding duration (12 months and cease) and breastfeeding duration (a MINIMUM of 1-2 years and beyond as long as mother/infant are comfortable).

I'm looking forward to your responsible handling of this situation on your show. I love the twist that you're pretending that the nanny or anyone else would suggest a bottle introduction at a time when it's dangerous for children to continue using one, as a substitute for a practice recommended by all major health authorities! Looking forward to your educating the general public about that.

My step-MIL loves this show. I think a lot of people get so wrapped up in her emphasis on "consistency" and parental communication that they miss the larger picture - which is paying attention to your childrens' developmental stages, respecting each other, etc. Anyone who's taken an actual child development course has learned that nanny's style of parenting (authoritarian) has poor results, long-term, vs. (I think it's called "authoritative," where parents have clear consequences and expectations but children are taught the WHY and HOW, not just the WHAT of a particular situation).

OMG!!! I LOVE this response!! This is EXACTLY how I handle people who are idiots and think they are always right!!!

Another thought: MAYBE the mother turns around and tells the nanny all of the things that we have been saying... Wouldn't that be a hoot!!! I would love to see her give Jo a talkin' to!! : I am watching, just to see if she does... As a PP said, many people put alot of time and energy into researching and educating themselves and thier SO/families/friends on AP, so maybe this mama did too!! (Of course, for the sake of the shows portrayal of the infallable advice of Nanny Jo, they would probably edit this out, as they want the watchers to think she actually DOES know it all!!! Everyone knows you shouldn't teach the teacher! : )
#79 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 03:25 PM

I really think the idea of an AP nanny show would be soooo great! Wish it could happen. We don't do tv here, so I'll have to come back here to see how it goes.
#80 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 03:55 PM

I just saw the commercial for the episode. At the end of the commercial they have a screen shot of the 14 month old and the announcer says "Somebody get this baby a bottle!"

I am outraged! :
#81 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Sadly, the show most likely has already been produced and no further ammendments will be made to the episode. I don't regularly watch the show, I've only tuned in a few times since it began. I don't think EVERYTHING she does is awful, like all parenting advice you take some you leave some, right? But if she is directly affecting the nutrional intake and emotional bonds of a child (14 months or 17 months, doesn't matter) then she is teetering on some dangerous ground. A letter writing and educational campaign is highly neccessary. I don't think I can tolerate watching but I will stay tuned here for further updates and count me in for some letters!
#82 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 05:34 PM

I won't be watching it as I will be in the hospital having my baby (and watching it would probably be too upsetting anyway), however I will take my cue from you ladies here and write/email the producers as necessary.

SAHM mom of 3 beautiful boys - Aug/02, Jan/05, Mar/07.
#83 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 05:36 PM

i've never watched this show nor do I plan to.

terrible advice is all its about. if I manage to catch it I turn the channel. and I also reccommend to everyone that they not watch the show. I don't have to see the show to know the advice it gives is wrong...the previews show me that.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#84 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 05:39 PM

I caught this commercial last night, and IIRC, they not only slammed breastfeeding, but they also made a negative reference to babywearing - something about the child being attached to her like a koala? Anyway, I don't think I could bring myself to watch this. I'd just be yelling at the television (not that I don't find myself doing this fairly often, anyway). Getting ready to write some letters....

#85 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 06:05 PM

So, if they get a bunch of letters before the show even airs, won't that just tell them that their ads(and the people who make them) are doing a FABULOUS job? Getting lots of people all interested and talking about it and telling everyone they know all about it.... isn't that exactly what they want?

And OMG Suprakid doing a nanny show! That would be so cool
#86 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 07:24 PM

Ok, I may be missing something but the trailer that the web site is showing doesn't mention anything about BFing or co-sleeping but about their marriage and "how dare you blame your children...." for the separation and so on.

Is this the same episode referenced?

http://abc.go.com/primetime/supernanny/index.html
#87 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommax2 View Post
Ok, I may be missing something but the trailer that the web site is showing doesn't mention anything about BFing or co-sleeping but about their marriage and "how dare you blame your children...." for the separation and so on.

That link didnt' work, but its the Walker family. They took out the part about breastfeeding on the trailer online (it was there the other day) but from what it looks like its still the same family.

#88 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 09:33 PM

I can't even find the Walker family mentioned on the 'guide', am I missing something?
#89 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe check your local programming? Mine has a summary on it.

#90 of 137 Old 03-11-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommax2 View Post

If they've got so much going on, the show can't be all about the nursing.

If the mom wants to wean, that's fine, but if they do a cold turkey weaning, I'm going to FREAK OUT!!!

Have to wait and see.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page