Upcoming Supernanny show - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2007, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Mods please don't move this, its related to breastfeeding/lactivism and not the um...enjoyment factor of the show....)

I heard through the internet grapevine that an upcoming episode of Supernanny will feature the nanny becoming angry and putting the mother down because she is "still" breastfeeding her 14 month old. : Apparently the commercial is showing previews of next weeks show.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2007, 02:03 AM
Banned

: Uuuuuugggghhhhh. Great, way to marginalize BFing to/beyond that age. What is wrong with the world?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:18 AM

Yeah, I'm going to take breastfeeding advice from a woman who's never had kids. It's like a male OB telling you Braxton Hicks contractions don't hurt... sorry, your opinion means nothing to me! It pisses me off that she even thinks she has a right to voice an opinion on such a subject when she has never been in the situation!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:25 AM

This is why I logged on tonight! I saw this stupid preview and got so mad! How does one do a nurse-in against a tv-show?!?! Seriously, in the preview she was so snarky and mean about it. And I don't think it is just in regards to extended nursing but about babywearing, too (there was some comment about having the baby attached to her "like a koala"). Ooooh, I am so MAD! It is such ignorant bull****. And how many people are going to watch this and believe that she is right with her lack of education on the subject?!?!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 03-09-2007, 02:33 AM

how about encouraing people to write in to the show? maybe even drafting up a letter that they can send in if they dont feel they have the time to do so themselves, so all they have to do is copy & paste it, and include a link to the show's contact email address or mailing address?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:00 AM

Wow. I've really gotten some good ideas about calm and loving discipline from this show. How disappointing that it would turn on a growing segment of the population...looking for a way to contact the producers...
Old 03-09-2007, 03:09 AM

Haven't seen the preview, but just curious - what is the situation the mother finds herself needing the the SuperNanny for?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me View Post
Yeah, I'm going to take breastfeeding advice from a woman who's never had kids. It's like a male OB telling you Braxton Hicks contractions don't hurt... sorry, your opinion means nothing to me! It pisses me off that she even thinks she has a right to voice an opinion on such a subject when she has never been in the situation!
Do you think she is a MDCer?

Sorry but I was :roflmao: at the male OB, soooo true!!

I agree with everything else to, that was just funny!

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
A 14mo??? Come on! Uh-oh, I don't know if I should watch this. Is that the one that's on after Wife Swap on Mondays?

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 and welcoming a new little one in May 2015
Old 03-09-2007, 10:50 AM

:

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:53 AM

:

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 03-09-2007, 10:54 AM

I think it's time the network was innundated with letters/ emails. I don't watch the show, tho.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 03-09-2007, 11:05 AM

I quit watching that show last year after she forced a mom to let her baby cry it out. It was the sickest thing I've ever seen on tv.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Whom do we contact to complain?

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
Old 03-09-2007, 11:27 AM

OK, I am going to play devil's advocate here. The family who requested her is having some kind of problem within the home that they feel they need help with. Now aren't we supposed to be caring for ourselves as mommies first? We are supposed to keep tabs on ouselves to make sure we are getting our needs met and not getting burned out. Possibly Supernanny is simply making observations from the outside that mom needs a "break".

Now if it were me and I was showing signs of cracking, and someone told me BFing was the problem (I am currently exclusively BFing 4 m/o twins), EVEN if my babes were toddlers (and I did nurse my toddler as well) - and I didn't think that was the problem, I would say so. AND I would push to find the real problem. I like advice and outside opinions but I ALSO have my boundaries.

The show is going to perpetuate the idea that BFing has an expiration date of 12 months, HOWEVER if a family really needs help, and needs to reprioritize, and feels that BF is a "problem" - there's really no way to convince them otherwise. I guess what I am saying is that you can't convince someone who isn't willing to believe in the first place.

Sorry I couldn't be more articulate. I've been up BFing all night. And it's no problem at all.

Nandre
Old 03-09-2007, 11:31 AM

The show is produced by Ricochet, Ltd and their US address is:

Los Angeles Office
Ricochet Television Inc.
3800 Barham Boulevard
Suite 210
Los Angeles
CA 90068

email: [email protected]
Nick Powell is the creator and executive producer of both the American and British versions of the show. Craig Armstrong and Nick Emmerson are executive producers of the American version. Supernanny is produced by Ricochet, Ltd.

I find the show hilarious, but hearing aout the upcoming show is upsetting... My family and some folks already think that I have completelylost it for BFing and baby wearing...

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

Old 03-09-2007, 11:42 AM

Sound like Jo needs to go sit in the naughty spot I mean come on:
Old 03-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

I think it was Nanny 911 that I stopped watching because the Nanny gave the mom grief for bfing and co-sleeping, and I don't think the babe was quite a year yet. I think the Nanny actually made a bit of a scene when the Mom went off to nurse the babe to sleep. Basically saying that the attachment level was unhealthy. All I could think about was the poor mom who does not have the right information or the best supports for bf, she might be watching the show and thinking "Really? I should not be bfing now? Unhealthy???" and wean her babe because of it.

I'd be more than willing to write if someone can come up with the information. I personally do not understand why anyone would ever volunteer to have their family on the show (the only thing I can think of is usually Nanny911 gives the family a trip or money for renovations...there is a prize involved ). I think it's dangerous for her, and the other Nanny show, to be stating that "My way is 100% the best way", when much of it is personal opinion. Like making a child apologize. You've just taught your child to lie. Well done : Better that you help your child learn empathy rather than an empty word...saying sorry can be as about as effective as saying "Turkey Soup" when you don't mean it. That really bothers me.

And now I have another reason to not watch.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:21 PM

Now that I think about it, I don't think this should really surprise anyone, wasn't it Supernanny's book that said that if your baby cries after 3 months of age they're manipulating you and you shouldn't respond to every cry?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamastePlatypus View Post
Do you think she is a MDCer?

Sorry but I was :roflmao: at the male OB, soooo true!!

I agree with everything else to, that was just funny!
I had a male OB with my dd and he told me, "Braxton Hicks contractions don't hurt, they're just uncomfortable." I gave him a look and said, "Have YOU, not your wife, ever experienced a Braxton Hicks contraction?" He said, "Of course not!" I politely told him, "Then please, don't tell ME how Braxton Hicks contractions feel!" I was sitting there thinking, no uterus, no opinion on the subject!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:28 PM

I saw a glimpse of the comercial for it and thought I saw the mom bf and Jo saying that the baby was attached to her all the time. What makes me mad about it is now my family will watch it and believe thats the truth and give me more fo a hard time about everything.

Wife to Joe since 2004
Mom to Madison 2005, Morgan 2006, Joseph (Cooper) 2009 and Jackson 2011
Old 03-09-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I think the Nanny actually made a bit of a scene when the Mom went off to nurse the babe to sleep. Basically saying that the attachment level was unhealthy.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Old 03-09-2007, 03:31 PM

Another reason why we don't have television in our home, way too many negative things about family.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:44 PM

I feel bad for that mom, haveing to hear something like that which is total BS. But I do have to say that these families have to have some kind of idea that the advice they will get from Supernanny and Nanny 911 is going to be sensationalized for the sake of TV. It's like going on the Jerry Springer show to get some good advice of marriage and relationships. I have watched Supernanny before and quit because I was sickened by all the eye-rolling and snark that she uses to get her point across. Her advice ( at least half the time) is pretty good, but the methods she uses to deliver it are totally inappropriate. This latest issue re: BFing does not surprise me at all.

Namaste,

Michelle

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
Old 03-09-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesley&grace View Post
I think it was Nanny 911 that I stopped watching because the Nanny gave the mom grief for bfing and co-sleeping, and I don't think the babe was quite a year yet. I think the Nanny actually made a bit of a scene when the Mom went off to nurse the babe to sleep. Basically saying that the attachment level was unhealthy. All I could think about was the poor mom who does not have the right information or the best supports for bf, she might be watching the show and thinking "Really? I should not be bfing now? Unhealthy???" and wean her babe because of it.

I'd be more than willing to write if someone can come up with the information. I personally do not understand why anyone would ever volunteer to have their family on the show (the only thing I can think of is usually Nanny911 gives the family a trip or money for renovations...there is a prize involved ). I think it's dangerous for her, and the other Nanny show, to be stating that "My way is 100% the best way", when much of it is personal opinion. Like making a child apologize. You've just taught your child to lie. Well done : Better that you help your child learn empathy rather than an empty word...saying sorry can be as about as effective as saying "Turkey Soup" when you don't mean it. That really bothers me.

And now I have another reason to not watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlp View Post
Whom do we contact to complain?
I started on my letter this morning, bc this is very unnerving... here is the contact info that I found:

Los Angeles Office
Ricochet Television Inc.
3800 Barham Boulevard
Suite 210
Los Angeles
CA 90068

email: [email protected]
Nick Powell is the creator and executive producer of both the American and British versions of the show. Craig Armstrong and Nick Emmerson are executive producers of the American version. Supernanny is produced by Ricochet, Ltd.

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

Old 03-09-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heamae View Post
I saw a glimpse of the comercial for it and thought I saw the mom bf and Jo saying that the baby was attached to her all the time. What makes me mad about it is now my family will watch it and believe thats the truth and give me more fo a hard time about everything.
My family and friends too. I can just hear them now.:
Old 03-09-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heamae View Post
I just pray my uncle doesn't see this episode. He married a woman with grown children who was already through menopause after dating for 10 years, he'll never have kids of his own, yet he feels it's his duty to lecture me on my parenting techniques. When we were talking about nursing, I got so fed up I told him that if he wanted some information on extended breastfeeding I'd be happy to email him some links but it was a decision WE (dh and I) made after a lot of research and thought and that we were comfortable with it, so it's not up for discussion. Since then he hasn't brought it up, but I can see this adding fuel to his fire.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:52 PM

I just went to the show's website to check this out and the "commercial" that they are running doesn't have anything about BFing and the family shown doesn't even appear to have toddlers... I must be missing something or maybe they already have received so much negative response from the on-air commercials that they've changed the next show??

Daughter of the King, wife to a loving husband, mommy to DS 10/26/05, DD 9/16/07, and my precious gone to be with Jesus 12/09.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:06 PM

Well, to me it makes sense that a "nanny" would be giving this kind of advice - ie premature weaning, CIO, etc - ie things that are the antithesis to attachment parenting.

Because, I mean really - the whole idea behind hiring a "nanny" is opposite to attachment parenting, isn't it? If everyone was attachment parenting - there would be very few jobs for nannies, right? So if the women on these shows are actually "nannies" - their whole training, employment and life experience is in opposition to attachment parenting.

Why are we taking parenting advice from Nannies anyhow???? Do any of them even have children?

Thier is advice is good - for other nannies, perhaps!!!

Janice
Old 03-09-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot View Post
I think it's time the network was innundated with letters/ emails. I don't watch the show, tho.

Uhh, maybe we should watch the show first? Then complain about it - because I don't know how to complain about a preview. But I will give my 2 cents after I see the whole thing.

User Tag List