New Supernanny thread for those who are watching it - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That just makes me sick! She is basically saying nursing past a year is wrong and will psychologically damage the child. And of course that we moms just do it for our own benefit. Do you know how many people are going to watch this and take it as the gospel truth? This is such a step backwards in the breastfeeding movement!

And don't get me started on the CIO! They all say there and analyzed her cries. Gee how nice of them - see she's not panicking and scared anymore, she's just giving up - good job Mom!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#62 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the baby now sucking her thumb for lack of ANY other comfort??

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#63 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchyMama2 View Post
No doubt.

And as a testament to how much people listen... a friend of mine is instant messaging me right now telling me that supernanny is right, and SEE!? I told you that it was wrong to still be nursing!!!!

:
And, this is the true problem with these type of shows. It sends a strong message to the masses.

I think the family, as a whole, might benefit from some of her techniques. The older boys were spiraling out of control and had a lack of respect for themselves and the family. I just can't, for the life of me, see why she was so adament that the Mom stop BF. I guess, like a PP said, the Mom must have really wanted to. (There is a TON of editing and like a week's worth of footage not seen) Murphy's Law kicked in and made sure the 2 minutes of tape we saw, was a pretty strong anti-extended BF message.

It's amazing (as a new mama who never payed ANY attention before) how many bottle references there are. I just removed the bottle from a doll given to us for Xmas.

Uh oh...now she's moving her baby to the crib.: :
#64 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And did anyone else notice that after the mom weaned her the baby was crying in a few of the clips. Poor little thing doesn't know what hit her!

I read the Supernanny book and she is really against extended breastfeeding. She is totally open in her belief that she thinks it is solely for the mom's benefit and that it is because the mom is using the child to fill an emotional need. She also thinks that it keeps babies from developing properly. Someone should tell Jo to write the WHO because obviously they haven't gotten her memo!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#65 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 10:59 PM

So mom has been replaced with a bottle of cow's milk and a stuffed animal. Nice.
#66 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydensmama View Post
are you kidding me, I wonder how many days between weaning and CIO in own bed.....aggggghhhhhhh
Well Jo said something like, "Look what they accomplished in 6 days that they couldn't do in 6 years"

Yeah way to go : That poor. poor baby - weaned cold turkey and forced to go from nursing in next to mommy in bed to CIO in her own crib in 6 days or less.

Atleast the show is over now and I can stop wanting to throw things at the TV.

LP
#67 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:06 PM

I'm so glad I didn't watch this.
It sounds horrifying.
#68 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:06 PM

Sure, she did help them. No more hitting. The family is functioning better. The thing that really bugged me is she (or someone else) could of helped them in different ways that were more positive in the long run. Weaning, could of been done MUCH better, and wasn't necessary at all to accomplished what the mother really wanted. In fact weaning was done was wrong as it possibly could be. The same goes for the baby sleeping in the bed. The baby in the bed wasn't the problem. It was the 6 year old that wouldn't stay in bed and needed limits and wasn't working for them. As others has mentioned the psychical benefits of continued breast feeding was ignored.

I will be writing a letter to NBC.
#69 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:07 PM

I can't believe they sent out such a TERRIBLE message about breastfeeding, the whole thing is sick.

Did you hear the mother say at the end that now that Alicia is weaned that she can do more with her?!?!!?

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#70 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:07 PM

Wow I just had to reply...echoing others here...

To force such drastic changes on a 14 month old in the presumably short span of time it takes to film an episode is sooooooo soooo sad. I am struggling myself with continuing to nurse my 26 month old. But as *tired* as I feel sometimes of the constant requests to nurse from my ds, I was in tears when they tried to force that bottle on the baby...then to put her in a crib right after that...I guess every family is different, but still...why? why? why?

You can see that the mama is ready for a change and certainly setting up rules for the older children seems like it would help this family. But ABC/Jo has made it seem that weaning and ending co-sleeping is the sole reason that this family is now spending time together as a family!!!! Of course it won't occur to the average viewer that maybe this sudden surge in family togetherness might be due to the parents giving their kids some positive attention to break the cycle of constant yelling/whooping/negative attention....

Ugh the image of that baby clawing at the pillow covered breast on national tv...that poor poor child...it just makes me feel even more strongly certain in my decision not to force my child to wean early...it certainly hasn't stopped him from developing....ugh and they made it seem like weaning was the reason the baby started walking and talking!!!!

Christine, wife to my dh since 10/03, mama to my three monkeys ~:-) ds1/6/05, dd9/9/08 and ds 8/3/10

#71 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:08 PM

A quick Goggle of "Supernanny anti breastfeeding" pulls up a LOT of blogs from tonight with people outraged at the show.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#72 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:08 PM

Nurse-in at ABC studios anyone?
#73 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me View Post
Nurse-in at ABC studios anyone?
Awesome idea!

#74 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabella View Post
....ugh and they made it seem like weaning was the reason the baby started walking and talking!!!!
Exactly. You know for certain that the baby was indeed walking, interacting, and playing while she was nursing. They just didn't show that at the beginning because they wanted viewers to see that the baby was "always attached to her breast!!" Then after the forced weaning they showed her playing and running around as if by magic she was now more independent.

You see? Because everyone mainstream knows that nursing makes your children dependent and holds them back.

:

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#75 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.PhD View Post
I will be writing a letter to NBC.
They might be a little confused if you do... It's an ABC show

LP
#76 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 PM

Wow, this thread makes me glad I didn't watch it.:
#77 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 PM

The studios in Chicago have nice big windows right on State Street, great way to get attention!

#78 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj'smommy View Post
The studios in Chicago have nice big windows right on State Street, great way to get attention!
I soooo wish I could.

#79 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchyMama2 View Post
I soooo wish I could.
It would take a lot of people, but it would be neat if it would work.

I checked LLL message boards and didn't see a Lactivism/Activism forum...does anyone know of one?

#80 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:17 PM

here's one little thing we can do, from Promom 3min activist, about how the supernanny's book has bad bfing advice...
http://www.promom.org/3min/3min_supe...ebruary06.html
#81 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:19 PM

I was in the middle of fixing supper so I only caught bits and pieces (oh and nursing my 25 month old *gasp*)...I finally had to switch it over to Law & Order when they started doing the CIO...give me a good old fashioned (TV) homicide over a baby screaming all alone in a cage any day of the week

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#82 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:21 PM

This is wonderful, this thread! I don't have a TV but have seen some of the dvd's of this show. Good to know what I'm "missing" by not paying cable. Heehee. I'm validated. Sounds like a good horror show.
#83 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:23 PM

I think I'm glad I missed this episode

And WTH? How is it logical to put a 14 month old on bottles? I do not get that at all, at all, at all! :

Here's contact info for ABC...

ABC, Inc.
500 S. Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4551

(818) 460-7477*
#84 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:25 PM

I felt so bad for that baby. I also felt bad for what mom must have felt like with the advice given...that mom is going to have problems going from nursing 24/7 to cold turkey weaning
#85 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 PM

this episode of the Super Nanny was the season finale, btw
#86 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj'smommy View Post
It would take a lot of people, but it would be neat if it would work.

I checked LLL message boards and didn't see a Lactivism/Activism forum...does anyone know of one?

They have one. You have to be registered and logged in to see it.
#87 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:36 PM

I logged on ABC and sent a response. They only allowed 200 characters, so I had to edit considerably! This is all I managed to sqeeze in, with most of the invective removed.

Quote:
I was horrified by the content of your March 12 episode, involving the Walker family. Nanny Jo's advice on breastfeeding & weaning went directly contrary to the recommendations from every reputable medical organization, including the American Academy of Pediatrics. Nursing past 1 year is strongly advised, while Jo implied that it is inappropriate and even harmful to children! Her advice is misguided and based on ignorance. I'm very disappointed to see ABC presenting this as expert advice.
#88 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePeanut View Post
They might be a little confused if you do... It's an ABC show

LP

Opps, I knew that too. : See how out of sorts I am.
#89 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear's Mama View Post
They have one. You have to be registered and logged in to see it.
Thank you, I didn't log in!

#90 of 228 Old 03-12-2007, 11:37 PM

anyone else cringe when Jo said, "how do i put this nicely... attached to the breeeeeast"???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page