New Supernanny thread for those who are watching it - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#211 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchyMama2 View Post
I'm pretty sure its been said in this thread before already that its wonderful she nursed for so long, so that part about not caring? Ya, doesn't fly.

And are you seriously giving snarky comments in this thread? because the doesn't take away from what you said and I don't appreciate it. We are all doing something to make a difference in this society. I'm sorry if it doesn't measure up to how much you're doing. : (see the angry smilie? At least I can post it and own it.)
So what is being done? That was one of my original questions. I read over the last 3 pages some extremely WELL written replies that say they are writing into ABC. Instead of wasting time and energy getting offended by what i post, why not write ABC? Every woman who breastfeeds does her own form of lactivism. Just because I dont care to sit in front of the ABC studio and flash my breasts at the producers DOES not mean I dont do my own lactivism. Instead I dont care to charge the bull, it gets the breastfeeding community as a whole NOWHERE. Instead add to the 'crazy women who are perverted and don't know what damage they are doing to their kid' stigma the BF community gets after these types of actions are taken, add to that they are spiteful, bullheaded and uninformed. It just seems that many of the posts here are reacting with emotion, and that gets BF education no where fast. If you all wanted to discuss the show, as the first page of posts does, then move it to TAO. But for the posts that were eloquently put down and were productive those are great here. I have nothing against those posts and actually applaud them.

And why is it that the BF weaning has gotten this in an uproar? I would think that the spanking and sad forms of discipline would be worse.

My whole point is being missed sadly. It is this. What is being p*ssed off about a show on american television doing for our BF community? NOTHING. What can letters, emails, phone calls to this broadcasting company do? Hopefully help change perceptions. If you scroll back and read through the first page of posts, they do not argue anything about the misconceptions. They simply bash the show and state how mad they are. You can try to judge me and assume I do nothing for lactivism. When in truth thats completely false. I am going to be a midwife and I feel that is one of the best places to help change the social glare to breastfeeding. I can help women who want to be helped. I refuse to push myself on another person when they do not want it and refuse to accept it. That only harms both parties. Makes us women who extend bf seem overbearing and selfish. When in reality I know that the bf community as a whole is warm, nurturing and loving. THOSE emotions are what should be coming out IMO.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#212 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
I don't think this is the norm, but she also said that after she weaned she didn't feel any less bonded, and in some ways their relationship felt more enriched.

It worked for her.
Just wanted to add to this .... from what I've read [Mothering Your Nursing Toddler, LLL's How to Wean and Adventures in Tandem Nursing, Kellymom.com etc.] -- and from my own experiences gently weaning Ina over a period of 3 months while we were pregnant with SJ (when she was 2 1/2 years of age) -- I honestly think that a HUGE amount of the "terrible twos" comments people make, and the assumptions that infants/children between 1-3 years of age are going to be brats, is based on the fact that the vast majority of children in those age ranges in this country have been weaned (from breast OR bottle, honestly) prematurely. And lacking that supporting continuity, they have a lot more trouble dealing with all the changes which are going on with their minds and bodies at those ages.

I know that Ina definitely was more easily upset, more clingy, and more 'difficult' for us to manage for a couple months after she was weaned (and during the final month or so of weaning too). I suppose that the mainstream argument would be that her behavior was because I waited too long. My response would be - but she was never that way at all until then. At ALL. She skipped the "Terrible Twos" that everyone else's kids seem to have. What's up with that, if EBF is wrong??

How are we to know that the mom isn't interpreting clingy behavior, irritability, temper tantrums etc. as "normal" for a nearly 18 month old, instead of realizing that they may be the result of weaning before babe was ready, and in a fashion which was particularly traumatic for the child?

Not all who wander are lost.
#213 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:28 PM

From the sticky at the top of this forum:

Quote:
Members who formula feed out of necessity should not take posts critical of formula feeding personally. Members are reminded to post within the parameters of the User Agreement and refrain from personal attacks. If you feel concern about a post or discussion, please contact the moderator of the forum.

It must be clear that although we certainly do not encourage formula use we do support mothers who are doing the best they can for their children. It is very possible to find oneself compelled to use formula due to personal or family circumstances; such a mother can still be a Lactivist while seeking out support and information for her child's nutritional needs from the MDC community.
This is not about bfing failures--it's about lactivism re. supernanny. Can we please stick to that so the thread doesn't get pulled? :
#214 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka mommy View Post
My whole point is being missed sadly. It is this. What is being p*ssed off about a show on american television doing for our BF community? NOTHING.
Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion. But, many of us disagree.

And from the sticky at the top of the forum:

Quote:
Criticizing ideas, campaigns, and actions that negatively impact breastfeeding are all acceptable forms of lactivism.
There are so many forms that lactivism can take! Let's all participate in ways that we feel passionately about and leave the things we aren't interested in to others who are.
#215 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
So what is being done? That was one of my original questions. I read over the last 3 pages some extremely WELL written replies that say they are writing into ABC. Instead of wasting time and energy getting offended by what i post, why not write ABC?
Gee, why not just close the whole board down? I mean, intead of having thread after thread of what YOU see as complaining...People are doing something. There's nothing wrong with posting your outrage here and then going to write a good email/letter. Heck, I find that getting out my rage HELPS me write a better, more calm letter.

Quote:
Every woman who breastfeeds does her own form of lactivism.
Yet, you feel it's your place to judge who is doing what.

Quote:
Just because I dont care to sit in front of the ABC studio and flash my breasts at the producers DOES not mean I dont do my own lactivism. Instead I dont care to charge the bull, it gets the breastfeeding community as a whole NOWHERE.
There you are AGAIN judging what others are doing in their forms of lactivism. (need I say the old pot/kettle/black line here?)

Quote:
Instead add to the 'crazy women who are perverted and don't know what damage they are doing to their kid' stigma the BF community gets after these types of actions are taken, add to that they are spiteful, bullheaded and uninformed. It just seems that many of the posts here are reacting with emotion, and that gets BF education no where fast. If you all wanted to discuss the show, as the first page of posts does, then move it to TAO. But for the posts that were eloquently put down and were productive those are great here. I have nothing against those posts and actually applaud them.
There you are again judging.

Quote:

And why is it that the BF weaning has gotten this in an uproar? I would think that the spanking and sad forms of discipline would be worse.
LACTIVISM BOARD. heck, until just a few days ago I only lurked here, but even I can see that this is a lactivism board and a show that puts down breastfeeding (such as saying it inhibits hitting milestones) is obviously going to get some negative attention here!

Quote:
My whole point is being missed sadly. It is this. What is being p*ssed off about a show on american television doing for our BF community? NOTHING.
Wrong. It motivates moms to get involved and try to change perceptions. Maybe some will just vent in this thread. But many will write and boycott and spread the word.

Quote:
What can letters, emails, phone calls to this broadcasting company do? Hopefully help change perceptions. If you scroll back and read through the first page of posts, they do not argue anything about the misconceptions. They simply bash the show and state how mad they are.
like ive said, sometimes that venting is needed.

Quote:
You can try to judge me and assume I do nothing for lactivism. When in truth thats completely false. I am going to be a midwife and I feel that is one of the best places to help change the social glare to breastfeeding. I can help women who want to be helped.
Good for you. NOw if only you applied your "accept what I do" to other people and accepted what they are doing yourself.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#216 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:37 PM

Addresses...seriously...gonna make me do a search?:
#217 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2crazykids View Post
Addresses...seriously...gonna make me do a search?:

Last I counted there were a dozen threads about this and counting!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#218 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 PM

2crazykids try this maybe?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=633346

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#219 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion. But, many of us disagree.

And from the sticky at the top of the forum:

There are so many forms that lactivism can take! Let's all participate in ways that we feel passionately about and leave the things we aren't interested in to others who are.

AGREED!

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#220 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:41 PM

I know, I know...just wanted someone to pop up with the addresses...I am way too lazy to go searching...but i will if you insist!

I thought for sure someone was going to make a list of the sponsors too! I think they all need a hearty letter to sink their teeth into...hmmm? Yes?
#221 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
<snip>

and omg, I try to never get involved when there are debates on MDC, but where else do we vent about this stuff? my dh was outraged as well, but he can only take so much of the lactivism talk so, this is where we go. if anybody knows where else we might go to vent about the anti-bf culture, lmk.
I always thought that (as long as we follow the UA) this is a great place to vent about anti-bf culture - especially because at the same time there are often suggestions from folks about how we can address similar situations in the future, or address the thing we're venting about, itself.

I don't think I (or anyone else) should have to justify why we're venting about this, or posting in this thread - but I'm assuming all of us (and many lurkers) have already written or are planning on writing letters to ABC about this episode. I already wrote one based simply on the preview, before the show even aired. We don't watch SN, I forgot it was on last night, so I didn't see it - we were watching the Sportscenter March Madness shows. Nary an anti-bf comment to be found.

....But I digress. A main reason I (and I assume others) am following this thread, is for ideas about specific issues/comments to cite; about counter-sources to suggest that they read, and about the tone/approach which I will take in my next letter to ABC. I would never have thought to contact my local ABC station and suggest that they do a counter-story covering breastfeeding beyond a year if someone hadn't suggested it here. I don't know if I WILL do that, given that we don't watch ABC for news and I'm not sure who I'd refer them to interview (other than myself ) .... but it's a good idea for many moms who post here, I'd bet.

I think our discussions back and forth about validity of X, Y, or Z as we discuss the show, will definitely help inform how our letters are written. And while I'm all about form letters sometimes (I did ProMOM's form letter to Nanny Jo's publisher) - I think that it's even more persuasive when there is a deluge of INDIVIDUAL and obviously NOT form letters, as well. I think we're on target to accomplish that via these discussions.

#222 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
(I did ProMOM's form letter to Nanny Jo's publisher
Do you have a link for that?
#223 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter View Post
here's one little thing we can do, from Promom 3min activist, about how the supernanny's book has bad bfing advice...
http://www.promom.org/3min/3min_supe...ebruary06.html
Here 'tis!

I know that at least one list of all the sponsors for the show was posted earlier in this thread, I don't think there were addresses for any of them at that point but the poster was intending to contact each advertiser and let them know how displeased she was.

I don't have time to do a search for addresses but if someone else gets those that is something I KNOW I will do as I think that sort of pressure on ABC makes more impact.

#224 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2crazykids View Post
I know, I know...just wanted someone to pop up with the addresses...I am way too lazy to go searching...but i will if you insist!

I thought for sure someone was going to make a list of the sponsors too! I think they all need a hearty letter to sink their teeth into...hmmm? Yes?
Someone posted a list in one of the other SN threads..let me see if I can find it.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#225 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 03:03 PM

Here it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckC View Post
I'm a huge lurker as I have no kids yet, but I love to learn about all of this stuff.

This whole Supernanny thing has me SO MAD! I will be writing letters all week.

Someone mentioned writing to the advertisers of the program, so I made a list of the commercials (that aired in my area anyway). Here you go:

Columbia/Revolution "Are We Done Yet?" (movie)
OceanSpray Cranberry Juice
Nintendi Wii
Wendys
Excedrin - Tension Headache
The Nanny Diaries (movie)
Splenda
Home Depot
Mazda
Geico
Ford
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (movie)
Pier 1
Pursuit of Happyness (on DVD)
Newline Cinema/Time Warner - The Last Mimzy (movie)
The Goodlife Recipe (dogfood)
Lowes
Dominoes Pizza
Alavert
Lionsgate - Pride (movie)
Barbie - Magic of the Rainbow (movie)
Chrysler
Publix (grocery store chain)
Chase Freedom Visa
Rembrandt Toothpaste
Dyson
Clorox
Sunsilk Color Boost
Honda
Mrs Pauls Fish Sticks (I think it's owned by Swanson?)
Promotional Consideration: The Weinstein Company

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#226 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
AGREED!
No worries! :
#227 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post

But what about the mom who doesn't have support IRL, and has been following her instincts (AP? What's AP?) - and is still bf past one year. This show has dealt mothers like that a real blow. Because it's given license to all the people in their lives to attack for sure now.

And it's all directly contradicted by medical and scientific research and recommendations.

Now, if a mom wants to wean before it's recommended, then there are ways to do so. But it should be noted that she is doing so before the timeline recommended, that she may be placing her child at risk, and that there are other options out there.

I'm happy when moms make it to 3 months, let alone six months or a year. But that doesn't mean that I can't (or won't) fight for accurate information to be given to the American public.

I don't think this is a "just walk the MDC walk and don't worry about other moms and what they think" issue. This is an issue of a respected "authority" giving out inaccurate and WRONG information. And the we've already seen people receive that bad information from their support systems IRL. I just don't see the virtue in ignoring inaccurate and harmful information being pushed onto the general public as legitimate when it's directly contradicted by all the major medical authorities.

you have a way with words mind if you're quoted?

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#228 of 228 Old 03-13-2007, 03:17 PM

I am temporarily closing the thread due to reports. I will leave it up for reading, but please do not start another Supernanny thread in Lactivism until I can review this one, edit if needed, and open it back up.

Thanks!!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page