{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 04-11-2007, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
it fits with Nestle’s strategy to focus on products that fit in a health and wellness platform.
:

Wow. I don't even know what to post about that particular nugget in the article!

When we do buy baby foods, we buy Beechnut. But we generally make our own. I would imagine Gerber would be added to the Nestle boycott when this is finalized? I wonder how impactful that will be in terms of overall product purchasing (will there be a noticeable decline in purchase rates once it's a Nestle product)?

Not all who wander are lost.
#3 of 31 Old 04-11-2007, 11:06 PM

No, no, no. Is there a way to write to Gerber about this? Would it be just the food portion or everything the company produces? I tend to like the nursing pads, underwear, the organic food when I do buy it, and some of the side snap tees.
#4 of 31 Old 04-11-2007, 11:25 PM

Oh great...wonderful news (NOT!).
#5 of 31 Old 04-11-2007, 11:36 PM

No....I like...I mean, my dd likes the freezed dried fruit! :

But seriously, that would suck big time. I really like the gerber onesies and baby snacks.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#6 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 12:20 AM

Ugh...and Gerber owns Earth's Best organic baby foods, too, right?

I've never bought baby food anyway, so it won't affect me too much...but I do like the Gerber sippy cups for DD's water...looks like I'll be searching for a new brand.
#7 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DD never cared for baby food, so if we ever have it to do over, we're not going to bother with it.

I don't know if the Gerber baby foods would be added to the boycott. The formula is not part of it--since nonbreastfed babies do need to drink something...

"What will you do once you know?"
#8 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equuskia View Post
No....I like...I mean, my dd likes the freezed dried fruit! :

But seriously, that would suck big time. I really like the gerber onesies and baby snacks.
Parents Choice makes freeze dried fruits too
#9 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 10:02 AM

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...Fj8&refer=home

I saw this first from Bloomberg. Take a look at those profit margins from the end of the story. Oh, my. Baby formula is one of the most profitable divisions of Nestle, and they project some of the highest margins in the food industry with this merger.
#10 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml41981 View Post
Ugh...and Gerber owns Earth's Best organic baby foods, too, right?
The EB website says they are owned by Hain Celestial group. Do you have a link that says they are owned by Gerber?

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#11 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Yah, I heard it on NPR this morning. Something about Nestle's committment to healthy baby food or something like that. I think I'll write to NPR (because I'm a supporter) about their lack of balanced journalism for that piece. Where's the piece on how Nestle distorts its marketing to make women think that formula is just as good a choice as breastfeeding??? How they've manipulated women in every Latin American country (and many other developing countries) so that it's almost worse than the United States as far as breastfeeding??? Anyhoo. I'm going to wait to hear what All Things Considered has to say about it this afternoon before I write anything, but I'm hoping NPR lives up to my usual expectations by presenting both sides. :
#12 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 12:09 PM

Just tomatoes company makes feeze dried fruits and veggies, better than gerbers

but this does : me since my picky picky picky eater who will eat practically nothing has just decided she likes the gerber toddler lunch box things. I dont tend to buy baby food in general but she is a peanut and nay food she will eat is good in my book right now. But when Nestle takes over we won't be buying it and I'm going to have to figure out an alternative.

I had heard gerber owns EB too but so far haven't seen any "proof" to that
#13 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me View Post
Parents Choice makes freeze dried fruits too
Sadly, I have not seen it here.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#14 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 12:31 PM

#15 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 12:52 PM

My DH, who is not really a lactivist but has finally gotten used to my opinions on things, heard this news on NPR this morning and decided that it was a good reason not to ever buy baby food.
(We have been arguing about it-- me against baby food, him for)

Vannienicole, didn't you know? If it can't be purchased in a little jar, it isn't appropriate food for babies. :
#16 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post
Err....aren't beets good for your health and wellness? Since when are fruits and veggies not "real benefits"?
Maybe they mean they are going to add weird crap to the food. Artificial DHA and other additives they haven't even dreamed up yet.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#17 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice View Post
Maybe they mean they are going to add weird crap to the food. Artificial DHA and other additives they haven't even dreamed up yet.
Isn't that ridiculous? Its like a futuristic movie, where people eat freeze dried foods and talk about the progress that has been made since people actually used to eat food that came directly out of the DIRT.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#18 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 04:08 PM

Is there any place we can write to Gerber and let them know their customers will not be happy with this decision an will concider not using their merchandise if they go thru with the merger? Maybe if they got enough pressure from customers they might reconcider.

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

#19 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The EB website says they are owned by Hain Celestial group. Do you have a link that says they are owned by Gerber?
I'm looking...I can't remember where I read/heard it, but I'm trying to retrace those steps. It was awhile back...I thought I heard it during a food recall or something, but I don't remember.
#20 of 31 Old 04-12-2007, 07:13 PM

Man! I know WAY too many moms that take everything Gerber says to heart regarding infant feeding. I have a feeling their pages are now going to include using formula until age 2 or 3 (but only breastfeeding until age 1) and to start solids at 4 months regardless of what your doctor and the AAP says. I wonder if the Nestle hospital bags will include coupons for Gerber graduates now, lol.
#21 of 31 Old 04-14-2007, 02:46 AM

Ok...so I can't find where I read before where Gerber owns Earth's Best. I did find that they're partially owned by Heinz, but I can't remember where I read it before. Sorry! Buy Earth's Best as much as you want, I guess!
#22 of 31 Old 04-14-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml41981 View Post
Ok...so I can't find where I read before where Gerber owns Earth's Best. I did find that they're partially owned by Heinz, but I can't remember where I read it before. Sorry! Buy Earth's Best as much as you want, I guess!

What I read is that Heinz bought them, owned them briefly, and then sold them to Hain Celestial group.

I was so happy and grateful several years ago when Celestial Seasonings tea turned down a lucrative partnership with Nestle to sell bottled tea blends. That took a lot of character to turn down all that money! Now that they are part of a larger conglomerate, I hope the Hain Celestial group continues to be so ethical.

#23 of 31 Old 04-14-2007, 11:55 AM

I emailed an inquiry to Gerber asking if there was someplace we could respond as caring/concerned parents regarding this subject. I'll let you know what I hear back from them.
#24 of 31 Old 04-14-2007, 04:44 PM

Leno made a pretty funny comment about this. Something like, "Oh, great...chocolate baby food! THat's nutritious." (can't remember it exactly, but it was a pretty funny comment).

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#25 of 31 Old 04-15-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
i bactually saw baby food with dha or ara in it the other day:

Denise, Mama to DS1 (7) and DD1 (5) and new baby due June 2012!

#26 of 31 Old 04-15-2007, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Hain recently purchased EB. I called them within the last year to ask about their formula for a friend who is adopting, and they told me.
#27 of 31 Old 04-15-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie128 View Post
Hain recently purchased EB. I called them within the last year to ask about their formula for a friend who is adopting, and they told me.
I'm sorry, I'm confused. Hain told you what exactly?

#28 of 31 Old 04-15-2007, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good thing I never bought Gerber anyways. I always got Earth's Best, although we very quickly went from jarred to making our own...and then soon enough to table food. Next baby I don't plan on ever giving jarred, I'd prefer tow ait until my baby is 100% ready and able (i.e., self feeding)...and therefore no need for any Gerber food to support Nestle with, yay!

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#29 of 31 Old 04-17-2007, 11:59 AM

I finally heard back from Gerber. They said they appreciated any comments we might have and that it would be sent to the proper personage. But they didn't give me an email or addy to write to. So I guess anyone who wants to comment about the nestle situation, has to go to the gerber websight and just put thier comments in the contact email box.
#30 of 31 Old 04-17-2007, 02:07 PM

UGH! The only pacis my DD likes are gerber, and the only nursing pads I like are gerber! Maybe the deal will fall through?

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page