Forum Jump: 

#61 of 102 Old 04-28-2007, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice View Post
It works for me.

Nichole, I think your letter is excellent.

I agree about wanting him to "do the right thing".

You know, like yanking his head out of his .
thanks. that is my first lactivism letter. i sent it to both of them. i shortened the first paragraph a bit and left out the embarrasing stuff since i talked about that later in my letter.
#62 of 102 Old 04-28-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieMC View Post
I sent an e-mail. Let's just say it was a little less than cival. Oh well.

Me too. I was as insulting as I felt I could be. I'm sort of tired of my polite 'please reconsider your position' letter. I wanted to be straight foward and clear that he was on the opposite side of the fence as me - and that he was wrong and bad for being there.
#63 of 102 Old 04-28-2007, 02:51 PM

now the page isn't working for me!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#64 of 102 Old 04-28-2007, 04:19 PM

You don't want to see the email I wrote. I'm in a very bad mood today. :
#65 of 102 Old 04-28-2007, 04:29 PM

That's just disgusting. How immature he sounds. Unfortunately if she just let him cry while she was trying to find a restroom, he probably would have written an article about how people nowadays need to keep their children quiet and new moms just need to stay home because he shouldn't have to deal with wailing babies. He probably gets all bent out of shape over children in airplanes, restauraunts and everywhere else. Children should be seen and not heard (not even if they are crying for food)

I'm sure it's been pointed out already. But what about people that need to go to the restroom? What if there is only one and it's being taken up by a breastfeeding mother? I don't breastfeed in restrooms because it's gross and also I don't want to take up a stall for someone who needs to go.
#66 of 102 Old 04-28-2007, 04:35 PM

sent a quick letter to the publisher, I didn't bother with the writer, I had nothing constructive to say to him lol.
#67 of 102 Old 04-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice View Post
now the page isn't working for me!
Bahaha, the whole business section isn't working. (Checked since it said he was a Business writer). This guy must have drawn a poop-storm he and the gazette weren't expecting.
#68 of 102 Old 04-28-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guenevere33 View Post
Hey Ladies,
Sorry if this isn't as understandable as it should be, I'm at work and multi-tasking while dodging the boss! lol!
I may be WAY off on this and I'm not saying we shouldn't write to the author and the paper but as much as I am ALL for a Mother's right to feed wherever she needs to unharassed, I am equally for an individual's right to write his opinion on it NIP. I probably wouldn't have much faith in any publication if they only published things that they felt were agreeable so I'm not sure writing to the paper will help either because it is the author's freedom of spech/press. I think a better idea would be to write an intelligent and carefully thought out (his obviously was not) response article and submit it for publication. It's like fighting fire with fire! Am I nuts? Let me know what you think.

Freedom of the press protects the press from government censorship not the outrage of the citizenry.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#69 of 102 Old 04-28-2007, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergonyer View Post
Write a letter. Ask him if next time he feels compelled to snack on a candy bar in a public store, if he would kindly do it in the restroom. Bathrooms are often disgusting in this world of ours and I will *never* feed my child in one. I will feed him wherever the hell he decides he's hungry. Period
I don't even let my kids eat in the bathroom at home.
#70 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
It sounds like he really doesn't understand the following points:

- just how often infants need to eat, and how hard it is to predict. Her baby is 2 months old. At that age they go from sleepy to hungry VERY QUICKLY.

- what is entailed in bringing a bottle.

- the fact that historically and biologically this is how we're built to feed our children, and the whole idea of it as a private or shameful activity is relatively recent.
Well, he's probably of the generational opinion that the baby should cry it out and wait 4 hours between feedings, as was once taught.

I really think some of these people don't believe that women belong in public. At least, not women with babies.
#71 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 05:31 AM

I just got a reply from the writer. Here's what he wrote:

Quote:
Dear Socks!,
Believe it or not, I think breast feeding is perfectly normal and natural. I mainly felt sorry for the poor iParty store manager who was only trying to do what he thought was the right thing.
Sincerely,
Charles Winokoor

--
Charles Winokoor, Taunton Daily Gazette staff writer
(508) 880-9000 Ext. 32 / (508) 880-9119 fax
I am just wondering if anybody else got the same reply?
What he wrote actually sounds like he might be able to understand what BS he wrote if given the right information.

I really liked the idea of somebody writing an article for the paper that shows breastfeeding as what it is.
Where are the writing mothers? I would try it, but English is not my first language, so I don't know if I#d be the best candidate.
#72 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 08:31 AM

Socks!

i also got a response. i think it would be against the user agreement for me to post it here. maybe i can paraphrase it a bit? he was very polite and said i made good points. he said the store owner was probably only trying to do his job and said that there needs to be clear cut legislation about the issue. i'm not sure if i feel like writing him back or not. i did read a bit about the iParty incident but haven't been following it closely from the beginning. did it happen in massachusetts? and they don't have breastfeeding in public laws? in south carolina i'm allowed to breastfeed anywhere i'm allowed to be, but that is just to clarify the law. breastfeeding in public has never been illegal as far as i know. to oh well i'm not sure what i want to convey him if anything, but i felt like i had to respond to his article. it was so ridiculous, but that is probably how he wanted it.
#73 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 09:10 AM

Socks I received the same reply. I didn't bother replying to him as he doesn't "get" it.
#74 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole View Post
Socks!

i also got a response. i think it would be against the user agreement for me to post it here. maybe i can paraphrase it a bit? he was very polite and said i made good points. he said the store owner was probably only trying to do his job and said that there needs to be clear cut legislation about the issue. i'm not sure if i feel like writing him back or not. i did read a bit about the iParty incident but haven't been following it closely from the beginning. did it happen in massachusetts? and they don't have breastfeeding in public laws? in south carolina i'm allowed to breastfeed anywhere i'm allowed to be, but that is just to clarify the law. breastfeeding in public has never been illegal as far as i know. to oh well i'm not sure what i want to convey him if anything, but i felt like i had to respond to his article. it was so ridiculous, but that is probably how he wanted it.
No, Massachusetts does not have any laws protecting women who choose to BF in public. There's is a HB up, but who knows if it will pass.

This is what he wrote me: I don't believe women who breast-feed in public are immature. But I do think the woman in this case put the iParty store manager in a very unfair position; he was only trying to do what he thought was the right thing. I do appreciate you taking the time to email.

It's a lame response, for sure. I'm sure he won't change his position on BFing, but at the very least I bet he thinks twice before he goes talking out of his *use your imagination* again!
#75 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 12:31 PM

Got my response as well, paraphrased..BF is healthy and fine, but, he felt bad for the manager who was doing his professional duty. Let's not take it out on the paper and the advertisers, hes not a opinion writer, and there is freedom of expression.

My letter wasn't nice at all. And I didnt see his response as genuine either.
#76 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 01:04 PM

Wow, that's just- stunning. Does your paper have any journalistic standards whatsoever? Who gave the go-ahead to publish such drek?

Tell Mr Winokoor to put a blanket over his head and go eat his lunch in a toilet stall.

Sincerely,
x
#77 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 01:54 PM

Charles Winokoor wrote back. I'm kind of scared to look at the email.

Quote:
I think breast feeding is healthy and fine. I mainly felt badly for the poor iParty store manager who was caught in the middle trying to do what he thought was the right thing.
I'm betting that everyone else got one like that too.
#78 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Banned

Bullocks he thinks it's healthy and fine. If he thought it was healthy, normal, and natural, he would not insist that it be done in secret. What he really means is, "it's fine so long as I can still pretend that it doesn't exist". If his concern was for the iParty employee who was put in a tight spot because of lack of clear cut laws regarding NIP, then he should voice his opinion on the need for legislation so as not to continue putting employees in such a position. I'm sorry, but he's just backpedaling himself into a brick wall.
#79 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
Bullocks he thinks it's healthy and fine. If he thought it was healthy, normal, and natural, he would not insist that it be done in secret. What he really means is, "it's fine so long as I can still pretend that it doesn't exist". If his concern was for the iParty employee who was put in a tight spot because of lack of clear cut laws regarding NIP, then he should voice his opinion on the need for legislation so as not to continue putting employees in such a position. I'm sorry, but he's just backpedaling himself into a brick wall.
iTA!! His article was NOT focused on the "poor manager" and the "poor Iparty employees". Give me a break! He slammed BFing moms all the way through and painted it as a wholly unnatural act, to be done in secrecy if you are not able to "bring a bottle".

his responses make me angrier because he clearly does NOT acknowlege the harmful statements he made. he wants to focus on some trivial sentence, hoping it will portray him as standing up for the working man. pu-LEEZE!!
#80 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 04:17 PM

My emails to the writer and editor were kicked back by some sort of email filter? Are they blocking them now? Or am I the only one?
#81 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I'm betting that everyone else got one like that too.
Actually, I got pretty much the same response, but personalized. I called his article ignorant and he said he was sorry I thought his article was "ignorant", but yadda yadda about the employee doing what he felt was right.
#82 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 10:07 PM

I got a similar response.

This is what I wrote back:

You may need to reread your article. You still suggested that the proper place for babies to eat was in the ladies room. That is sick and unsanitary. What if I am offended by your chewing gum in public? Should I have the right to demand that you do it in the bathroom?

A woman feeding her child should be able to do so wherever the child and mother are legally allowed to be. As long as society suggests, as you did in your article, that the act of breastfeeding is somehow shameful and should be hidden (you ended your article by suggesting that women bring bottles when out in public - as if feeding your child a substandard food substance in a plastic container is the preferrable act) we will continue to have the abyssmally low breastfeeding rates that we have now.

Yes, businesses can set standards for their own employees. But mothers have the right to say "this is wrong!" and stand up for their rights by spreading the word that a business discriminates against breastfeeding mothers. (And yes, it is discrimination - the act of feeding the child is not the issue. A mother feeding her child formula in a bottle would never be told that it is necessary to feed the child standing next to a toilet in some nasty ladies room, would she? So the business is discriminating against the mother because of the source of her baby's nutrition.)

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#83 of 102 Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 PM

i emailed him as well ..

- - - - -

At the beginning and the end of your article it states that you're a
business writer. That's odd, because I could have sworn you were
trying to be funny. Perhaps you should add 'comedian' to your title as
well?

I laughed and laughed! Yes, I did. Not with you, though, at you.

Actually, I shouldn't laugh, because it's not nice to laugh at someone
who seems to have issues with what are, for most of us, normal
day-to-day occurances. Perhaps you should be seeing a therapist about
these problems of yours?

As for Melissa Tracy and your wish for her to take her child to the
bathroom to feed him, perhaps you'd like to go and eat your lunch in
the toilet next time you're hungry? I imagine it's not then nicest
place to eat. Public bathrooms usually smell pretty bad. In fact, they
probably smell about as bad at that pet supplies aisle in the
supermarket of your dream.

Just as well that was only a dream. It's a shame that it's not a dream
that others would let a mother feed her child whever she chooses,
because expecting someone to sit in a stinking bathroom to nourish
their child is about as rude as allowing one's pets to void themselves
in the aisle of a supermarket.

I hope your delicate sensibilites weren't offended too much by this
awful woman imposing her "version of an enlightened society" upon you.
You really should get therapy, because if you don't rush off
immeditely to talk to a professional about all this angst you've been
put through, it might just ruin your life forever.

My absolute sincerest regards to you,

Coralie
#84 of 102 Old 04-30-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfamilygal View Post
I got a similar response.

This is what I wrote back:

You may need to reread your article. You still suggested that the proper place for babies to eat was in the ladies room. That is sick and unsanitary. What if I am offended by your chewing gum in public? Should I have the right to demand that you do it in the bathroom?

A woman feeding her child should be able to do so wherever the child and mother are legally allowed to be. As long as society suggests, as you did in your article, that the act of breastfeeding is somehow shameful and should be hidden (you ended your article by suggesting that women bring bottles when out in public - as if feeding your child a substandard food substance in a plastic container is the preferrable act) we will continue to have the abyssmally low breastfeeding rates that we have now.

Yes, businesses can set standards for their own employees. But mothers have the right to say "this is wrong!" and stand up for their rights by spreading the word that a business discriminates against breastfeeding mothers. (And yes, it is discrimination - the act of feeding the child is not the issue. A mother feeding her child formula in a bottle would never be told that it is necessary to feed the child standing next to a toilet in some nasty ladies room, would she? So the business is discriminating against the mother because of the source of her baby's nutrition.)
#85 of 102 Old 04-30-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrous View Post
i emailed him as well ..

- - - - -

Perhaps you should add 'comedian' to your title as
well? ...

I laughed and laughed! Yes, I did. Not with you, though, at you.

I hope your delicate sensibilites weren't offended too much by this
awful woman imposing her "version of an enlightened society" upon you.
You really should get therapy, because if you don't rush off
immeditely to talk to a professional about all this angst you've been
put through, it might just ruin your life forever.

Coralie
#86 of 102 Old 04-30-2007, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

you guys rock
#87 of 102 Old 04-30-2007, 11:53 AM

I wrote back to the standard response as well.

Quote:
Thank you for your response. I suspect you have rather sensibly generated the same response to be given to everyone who critiques your article. Which is just fine, assuming you actually mean it.

To that end, I suggest you write a correcting article that promotes education over false assumptions. While there are many people who view breastfeeding and defecation as exactly the same thing, it is your job as a responsible journalist to concentrate on the truth rather than pandering to the masses.

The iParty store manager should have done whatever he would have done as a professional business person encountering a customer who needed to feed a baby. If he was more comfortable with bottlefeeding, he could have thought of what he would have done if the mother in question was using a bottle. Perhaps offered to find her a chair?

If you are truly sympathetic to the plight of those ignorant of the law and basic logic, then I suggest you write an article which teaches them how to appropriately respond when encountering a baby who needs to eat.

http://www.kellymom.com/about/index.html

Is an excellent place to start doing the research.
#88 of 102 Old 04-30-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post

This is what he wrote me: I don't believe women who breast-feed in public are immature. But I do think the woman in this case put the iParty store manager in a very unfair position; he was only trying to do what he thought was the right thing. I do appreciate you taking the time to email.
Well he did the WRONG thing. It's as simple as that.
The writer is clearly a very uneducated person!

I also thought it's common sense that you fully inform yourself about a topic before you write about it???

What an idiot.
#89 of 102 Old 05-01-2007, 11:53 AM

I did not get a response and I sent my letter via email to both him and the publisher (twice, just to make sure )
#90 of 102 Old 05-01-2007, 12:09 PM

I also got a similar response. He said that he thought it should be up to individual businesses to set a policy on breastfeeding in their stores. He also said he felt sorry for iParty and the manager in question, and defended his position on BF (claiming to be a supporter).

I responded that it should be the purview of the legislature, not individual businesses, to set breastfeeding norms. I stated that if left to the determination of individual businesses, nursing mothers and infants would be subject to the ignorance, apathy, and personal bias of store managers and corporate officers.

I'm glad I wrote the original letter; hopefully next time he won't be blathering on about bottles and bathrooms.

Julia
dd 1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page