What was your personal reason for your feeding choice? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2007, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my mom breastfed all four of her daughters. When my 1st was born 15 yrs ago I was a single parent. I didn't think about breastfeeding as a choice it was just something you did. Horrible engorgement, serious painful nipples . . . then it started to get easy and we kept going until ds was bout 5. I was 25 when we were done and so proud/happy he kept at it for so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2007, 11:08 AM

$$ pure and simple.

Formula was expensive, breastmilk free. Plus everyone around me had a "ok try to bf and if it doesn't work out that's ok too" attitude. I wanted to prove them all wrong.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:45 PM

Because it's the normal way to feed a baby. Growing up that's all I ever saw from family friends and church members. It wasn't until I was in eighth grade that I was introduced to the work involved in formula feeding- the boiling, the mixing, the washing- ugh! Who'd want to do all that?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:51 PM

I am the first woman in over 50 years to nurse a child in my family. When I was pregnant I decided that I would attempt to BF for at least 6 mths. Then DS was born and the moment he latched on I knew that was it, I could not put formula in this tiny little person. I fought the nurses tooth and nail in the hospital when it was suggested that I supplement until my milk came in. Two years later we're still going strong.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:09 PM

It's the way that babies are fed, pure and simple. I always thought formula was used as a last resort. It wasn't until after my son was born and I started paying attention to how babies are fed that I realized that I was a minority in breastfeeding my baby.

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

Old 05-03-2007, 05:50 PM

I chose FF my first and there's a good chance if I ever have a second he'll be FF too.

I've always known that breast if best, and that it has powerful benefits for the child. However, when I decided to pursue adoption as my first choice route to parenting that BF might not be a good choice for us.

While I was still in the homestudy phase I started researching adoptive BF. Even at that point I knew there were aspects to my situation that would make adoptive BF more complicated.

1) I was doing a domestic infant adoption, and was not looking for a situation where I'd be matched before birth for a variety of reasons. This meant that I would most likely have very short notice and would not be able to take medications and herbs, pump, and prepare in other ways for months in advance the way many potential adoptive moms do.

2) I was a single mom which meant that I needed to return to work full time while my child was still a young baby. At that time I wasn't able to find anyone who had manage to pump for an adoptive baby. I have since found such people but they used a protocal that required advance notice, and wasn't available at the time when I adopted 8 years ago.

3) I had never lactated.

Despite this I decided that I would try to induce lactation, although I knew that my child would most likely receive formula through a SNS as their primary source of nutrition.

My referral came very fast, and there were a couple of "complicating" that led me to not even try to induce lactation.

1) DS was exposed to several contagious illnesses in utero, ones that can be passed through nursing. My pediatrician and adoption agency told me that they didn't feel comfortable with the chance that he could pass these conditions on to me. Since my adoption agency had legal custody of him at that point I didn't feel that I could go against his wishes. I also didn't feel as a single parent I could jeopardize my health in that way.

2) I thought I might try and induce lactation later after the issue above had been somewhat addressed. However, by that point DS had been diagnosed with a structural abnormality in his upper airway that required him to have only "thickened" liquids to protect him from aspiration pneumonia. There is really no way to "thicken" liquids given through a SNS and at that point there was no protocal for inducing lactation that didn't involve having the child use one.

So we FF. It makes me sad that I wasn't able to give him Breastmilk, but realistically I think that I made the best choice for him.

Wow that was long -- anyone still reading?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momily View Post
So we FF. It makes me sad that I wasn't able to give him Breastmilk, but realistically I think that I made the best choice for him.
I think you are a mom who really cares about your baby's well being!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:22 PM

I had never even considered other forms of feeding other than breast, I felt an inner urge to breastfeed and thankfully was able to do so.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:22 PM

MOmily thank you for sharing your story.

I always "knew" I would breastfeed someday...
But it wasn't until our 3rd and 4th adoptive placements that I found out about adoptive breastfeeding...and being that all my children were in fostercare for their first year or more with me, I never entered the touchy uncharted world of foster breastfeeding. So I formula fed.

Now, crazy or not, I've ordered my first breastpump and hopefully my 13 mo DD will still know how to latch (we tried one month ago with the SNS and she latched on for nearly a minute!). She has multiple food allergies and I'd like to give her something better than all her substitute food! So hopefully I don't get too discouraged before this even starts!:
Old 05-03-2007, 11:02 PM

For me there were a million reasons to breastfeed.

Both my husband and I were formula fed from day one. I was plagued with ear infections, colds, all kinds of minor health problems as a child. He has asthma and lots of other health problems. Are these things completely the fault of formula? Probably not - but why not try to give our child extra protection from these problems.

Breastfeeding is the healthiest, most natural choice. I can't imagine feeding my wee little man something as unnatural and unhealthy as formula. I think I'd feel like I'd might as well just give him a Big Mac every day.

Aside from the obvious health reasons for breastfeeding, I'm cheap AND lazy! Nothing to buy, no bottle washing!

heather - wife to my wonderful husband , mama to Brenten William 12/29/06, and Devin Findley 10/20/09
Old 05-04-2007, 11:29 AM

I knew breast was best all along (lots of years of nursing school, midwifery school, books, all that jazz), but I also really liked that the price is right.

I remember being 22, a new grad nurse, and having long discussions in the middle of the night (night shift) about how I would definitely get an epidural, but I would also definitely breastfeed a year. (And I was right! LOL)
Old 05-04-2007, 12:45 PM

I didn't stop to think much about, but when questioned, I always said that the year I was planning to stay home with my daughter was one in which I planned to travel a lot and I'd much rather not lug bottles around.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:51 PM

It didn't feel like a choice to me, aany more than it's a choice to properly use a carseat. It was what she needed, so I did it.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothragirl View Post
i didn't decide. breastfeeding is how you feed babies unless you're unable to.
yeah, that.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:18 PM

I saw my mother BF my youngest brother when I was around 10 yrs old, and I knew at that point that I would follow in her footsteps when my time came.

Oh the joys of giving your baby the best, and it's free without the hassle of something to boil, mix and reheat...

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:44 PM

<nak>

my mom died when I was 16. I knew she had breastfed me for some months. I think that I felt it would be a connection to her if I did the same. Little did she know that I'd end up nursing for years and not mere months!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:55 AM
cal

I was 20 years old and about 6weeks pregnant, I was at an outdoor festival and I saw a young woman sitting on a blanket breastfeeding her newborn I was so taken by how beautiful and blissful they were I never forgot the image of them... and after DD1 was born she was a great nurser and breastfeeding was thankfully very easy for both of us...when DD1 was about 8months old I discovered La Leche League and the rest, they say, is history!!

...I think about how that beautiful young woman and her babe never even knew how they affected me...!:
Old 05-06-2007, 12:14 PM

My half sister is 14 years older than me. She had her first baby at 22-in 1981. I was 10.
She was and is very crunchy. She bf her first for 2.5 years, despite my father making horrible horrible comments to her. She even threw a bottle of EBM at his head from across the room one night. Too bad he ducked.
Seeing her bf her girls and knowing about LLL as a kid made a huge impact on me. It was just the way it was done-as she never used formula. I didn't have younger siblings and my mum had breast cancer, so that was the only experience I had with bf'ing.

When I had my DD, there was just never a question. I endured 3.5 months of horrendous pain, but never gave up b/c there was (to me) NO other way to feed her. FF was just not an option for me.
I'm so thankful for my sister!
Old 05-06-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
...I think about how that beautiful young woman and her babe never even knew how they affected me...!:
This is why it is important that we continue to nurse in public. We are influencing many people positively. We can ignore the few crabbies.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had never seen a biological child bottle fed while growing up. Only a few adopted and foster children. I guess I never really made a choice. : I didn't have any trouble with nursing. (Yes I grew up in the US!)

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:57 PM

I chose to BF because that's what other women in my family did...it was just the norm. Plus, my aunt (who is a mentor and wonderful friend) was a LLL leader and taught me about all the great things about BF, long before I had any children.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:17 PM

I thought breastmilk was healthiest for the baby, and couldn't figure out why I would pay money for an inferior substitute when I could provide breastmilk for free.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:26 PM

It never occured to me not to breastfeed, which is kind of odd now that I think of it because I could probably count on one hand the number of times I had seen a woman nurse before I had my kids. It just seemed like the default option. Now I am a pushy NIP-er, posting videos of myself nursing on YouTube, nursing everywhere I go (in line at Lowes this weekend) and trying to make nursing in public normal.

I got a lot of weird "you don't have to nurse" "support" when I was pregnant. People would start conversations just out of the blue and tell me how hard it was to BF and how you have to eat really healthily all the time - what a dreadful idea - and that THEY certainly didn't nurse. Isn't that strange?

Mostly sane mother to twins.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:36 PM

I planned to breastfeed anyway, but when Jamie was transfered an hour away to a children's hospital and put in the NICU they gave him formula. I was pumping but had to wait till I was released and could get it to him. He wasn't holding the formula down and was losing lots of weight and his blood sugar was dropping ( to the point of needing an IV). I refuse to put something in my baby that makes him sick. I had to pump every 2 hours to keep up with the "feed him 30-50 ml's every 3 hours" rule they have in the NICU, but it was worth it to me.

Angie,
Wife to Eddie. Mommy to Jamie (4), Allie (2) & Luke (born 11-14-11)

Old 05-07-2007, 01:15 AM

I had a drastic breast reduction at age 25, several years before I got married, and never adequately assessed my chances of not being able to bf. My own ignorance and vanity kept me from feeding my older children with my own milk. I'm hoping that this baby will get more of what it needs from me, and I do my best to educate other women that while reductions are often appropriate, they should consider waiting until they're done having children if they don't want a potential bf'ing struggle. I'd give anything to deal with my shoulder and back pain and, even my body image issues, if I could just nurse my babies.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:22 AM

Honestly, it was my husband's influence that led me to bf my children. My mother had formula fed me and my siblings and I had NO other women who bf as role models in my life. My MIL was a LLL leader and dh grew up around a lot of bf women, so to him it was the obvious choice. He pretty much just kept saying that I was going to bf and I just said "okay". He was my support when ds1 had latch issues. It was like having a personal LC living with me 24-7!

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
Old 05-07-2007, 06:41 AM

I didn't have to do much thought about it, my mom breastfed me and my siblings. I'm the oldest, so I saw her breastfeed my siblings. My MIL also breastfed all 6 of her kids so it was just normal for me and I knew it was better.

I read "So That's What They're For" when I was pg with #1 and it was a good thing since my milk didn't come in for 4 days after my c-section. I knew enough not to let them give him a bottle or pacifier and he was getting colostrum in the meantime.

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

Old 05-07-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
It didn't really occur to me not to. I didn't expect to breastfeed as long as I did, but it didn't make sense to me to buy something that my body made for free.
Hi Jeri

Same here!

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)

User Tag List