What was your personal reason for your feeding choice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lactivists, I’m interested. Think back to before the birth of your first baby, when you thought about how you were going to feed him or her. What made you decide which way you were going to feed your baby? Why did you decide to breastfeed? (or to artificially feed, if that’s what you did chose the first time around?) What was the main factor, the main reason, that determined your initial feeding choice?
#2 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 12:11 AM

Because I'm a mammal & had been through 7th grade biology. That's not even snark.
#3 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 12:17 AM

My mom BF my youngest brother, so thats what I saw and thought was normal.....
AND dh's aunt BF and he knew it was best for baby and encouraged me to....
So I tried it, I assumed that I wouldn't have any problems, (I didn't)
Although the lack of passion for BF is why I weaned her at 6m and put her on formula....
I have the passion now, and my 21m old ds is still going strong...

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
#4 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 12:23 AM

I didn't think about it at all until I filled out a form at the OB's office. One of the questions asked me how I would feed my baby...breast, formula, or both. I circled both because in my mind they were the same to me. I didn't know that breastfeeding was better. I thought formula was just as good.

Then I started reading prenatal books and magazines. That's when I learned that breastfeeding is better and I decided that's what I wanted to try. People made negative comments to me during the pg and it made me angry and determined to breastfeed just to show them I could. I had difficulty for the first two months and with each comment of formula pushing I became more determined to prove everyone wrong. I did. I've been nursing for 6 years straight now.
#5 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's the culture around here. It didn't occur to me to ff. Why would I if I didn't have to? I had originally planned to nurse for a year, but as I was nursing, I read all kinds of good bf information, including from Mothering and MDC, and kept revising that upward.
#6 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 AM

I breastfeed because I'm lazy lol Seriously, with my first we had bottles and formula from the babyshower and I never used them. My boobs were working just fine and it was so much easier than using a bottle. I was only 17 so I really didn't know anything about the benifits of bf until a bit later.
#7 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 12:34 AM

I'm not sure there was a councious choice. For my whole life I've been interested in doing things the most natural way possible. I cook from scratch, grow a lot of my own food. Pick wild food and herbs when avaliable. I like to spin and weave my own fabric and so on. Breastfeeding was sort of an extension of that. It's what me and baby were designed for. It's the most natural thing to do and in my mind natural almost always = best. I trust that Mother Nature knew what She was doing.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#8 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 12:35 AM

I always knew I would - it's the culture here. I thought it odd that one of my sisters ff (I was 15 then). Even though my mom ff, i figured they didn't know better in the 50s and 60s. So it was always a given. what I didn't know was that it needed to be learned!
#9 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 12:40 AM

I knew it was the best choice for my child, plain and simple.
#10 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 12:44 AM

It never occured to me to ff w/out a really good reason. Plus, we'd made the decision for me to sahm, and bm is free!!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#11 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 01:36 AM

My mother bf all 3 children, me (the youngest) until I was 17 months. I grew up hearing stories of how much my mother loved nursing us, and how I would walk up to her and unbutton her shirt

My entire life I assumed I would bf children. I never even knew much about formula. Of course I knew MANY babies got bottles, but I guess it wasn't even until high school that I even thought about what was in the bottles. I played with toy bottles as a young child but still, from the time I even gave any thought to having children of my own I knew I would breastfeed. I never once entertained the idea of doing anything other than that and it killed me when my dds had to have formula. Thankfully ds has not had so much as a drop of formula and is still nursing strong at almost 14 months.
#12 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 01:47 AM

I was breastfed until age 2 or so. Breastfeeding just seemed like the default to me.

Also, I've bottlefed kittens before and it was a lot of work. Why give yourself extra work if you don't have to?
#13 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 01:59 AM

well, because breast is best. I think you'd have to live under a rock not to know that nowadays. The hospital pushes it, prenatal classes do, most people i knew nursed. It was no brainer. I didn't even buy bottles.

Unfortunately, I learned not everyone can do it, and around 10 days had to accept the fact that formula was better than starving the baby.

Next time, I'd again plan to nurse. On a practical level, I HATE mixing formula & washing bottles. I knew that before I had Rachel, too. Nursing is WAY WAY WAY more convenient if it works. I also really like the way bm changes as baby grows, changes in hot weather etc.
#14 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 02:06 AM

well, back then i didn't think formula was such a big deal, but i wanted to go the cheap and natural route, so i told myself i'd give it a go, with a goal of 1 year. shortly before ds' was born, however, i started to actually learn about bf and became determined to succeed. i'm so glad i learned what i did before ds was born because the first 4 months were HARD, and i probably would have quit otherwise
#15 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 02:07 AM

Don't have to really think back, as I am still awaiting the birth of my first.
But thinking back to before I started deliberately learning/thinking about these things I still always knew I would breastfeed. It never occured to me that I wouldn't. The factors influencing that assumption were:

1) Everyone in my family breastfeeds. (And definitely remember nursing my dolls, even though some of them came with bottles.)
2) Formula costs money.
3) I hate doing dishes.
#16 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 02:11 AM

It didn't really occur to me not to. I didn't expect to breastfeed as long as I did, but it didn't make sense to me to buy something that my body made for free.
#17 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 02:28 AM

My mom nursed all three of us. I grew up never really thinking about it. When I got pregnant, I knew I would BF. I didn't really even think to let DH know, and when we did talk about it he was surprised! "Why do you want to BF??" (He's come around, don't worry.)
I also agree with the PP who said,
1. I'm too lazy to fix formula
2. I'm too cheap to buy formula
#18 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 02:31 AM

i didn't decide. breastfeeding is how you feed babies unless you're unable to.
#19 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quite simply, I couldn't imagine NOT nursing my baby. I could imagine using an SNS or similar to supplement if necessary, but the thought of not nursing, or not NIP was completely foreign to me. You have a baby, you nurse. Baby gets hungry, you nurse wherever you are. What could be simpler?

I grew up "nursing" all my dolls and stuffed animals (after first "giving birth" to them.) Almost all the babies I personally knew while growing up were BF, with the exception of an adopted cousin. Her mother made every effort to make FF as close as possible to BF- all bottles in Mommy's or Daddy's arms, no toddling around with the bottle, no propped bottles, etc. This just reinforced the idea that BF is the norm and bottlefeeding is a substitute.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#20 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 02:44 AM

Everyone I knew growing up breastfed. Close friends of my mom's did Child Led Weaning, so I knew kids who were still nursing at age 6. I weaned myself at age 3. It's just what we did, though my mom did both with my younger sisters when she went back to work. I was familiar with bottles, but just knew i would breastfeed, the same way I knew I would homebirth. It's just what people in my family's circle did.

My son was born with a cleft lip & palate and that meant that he had to be bottlefed, but I did pump for a long time. I would never choose bottlefeeding after that experience. DS2 is still nursing.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#21 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 02:47 AM

My reasons for deciding to bfed even years before I even thought of having kids were:
1)Why would I pay for something I can make for free.
2)Why would I get up in the middle of the night several times to run water, heat it up right, measure out the right amount, put it in a bottle over and over when all I had to do bfing was roll over.
3)I have breasts to feed a baby why wouldnt I use them. I kept thinking as well that maybe if more mom's bfed and used their breasts for what they were ment for the rate of cancer might go down as well (this was long before I even knew this has been proven) it just seemed like common sense to me.

All of this long before I knew the benifits of bfing for mom and baby both. I only knew 1 person, my aunt, who bfed. I was around 8-9 maybe and the memory is hazy but I remember her going to another room to nurse and I followed her to watch.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#22 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 02:50 AM

My mother and stepmother both breastfed all of their kids, so I just assumed everyone did. I didn't know much about lactation before I got pregnant, so I assumed formula was something moms left when their baby was being babysat or in daycare. I honestly didn't realize that anybody would choose to exclusively formula feed their baby until I got pregnant and started browsing pregnancy/childcare forums.

Before I got pregnant I assumed I would breastfeed "until the baby got teeth". (Incidentally, my son got his first two teeth at 3 months and now has 8 at 6.5 months ) As I started to read more about the benefits of breastfeeding I decided that I would go for one year. Now that breastfeeding is a reality for me and not something I'm just considering "on paper", I'm leaning more toward breastfeeding for a longer stretch.
#23 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 03:02 AM

I don't have children yet, but my reason is 3-fold

1) I'm cheap - and formula is expensive.
2) I'm lazy - and dealing with bottles is a pain in the ass.
3) I like my bed - and rolling over and popping a boob in sounds better than having to get up and 'fix' a bottle anyday.

Yeah, generally selfish reasons - the fact that breastmilk is utterly the best possible food for my babe-to-be is just icing on the lazy, cheap cake.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
#24 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 03:06 AM

My mom breastfed me and my two brothers. I knew that I wanted the same for my kids. I wanted to give my kids the best start in life, and I knew that breast was the way to do it.I thought I would do it for the AAP recommended year. Who knew I would nurse ds till he was almost 3, during my pregnancy with dd, nurse her through my next pregnancy, have a stillbirth, get my milk back in and continue to nurse her!! That was even on my radar!

But I have to say that being breastfed myself is probably the biggest reason. Thanks MOM!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#25 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 03:09 AM

To be honest, I didn't think about what I was going to feed my daughter when I was pregnant, I was just praying that I would be able to carry her until she could breath on her own.

When she was born the nurse asked me if I wanted to breastfeed, and I said yes..it just felt natural. I didn't research or anything.
The LC from the hospital came in and said it wouldn't be a good idea since I was on Mag-sulf drip and b/p meds. I was sad but honestly knew no better, she was in the nicu and I was not allowed to get out of bed for 24 hours. My stupid b/p didn't want to come down and I was on them for 6 weeks post partem with b/ps still in the 200's. I still had plenty of milk 6 weeks post partum and wanted to breastfeed, she was on SOY formula at the time and was starting to have reflux probs etc..

She would not latch...she didn't know how. I took her to the ped to discuss this and she told me that "babies won't eat what will hurt them" and that she has food allergies, and she needs to be on a hypoallergenic formula. I believed her: : . And I'm still mad at myself. The hypoallergenic formula did NOT help her, and I tried to relactate for 4 months, hospital grade pump, took fenugreek, reglan..still only drops:

I returned the pump a month ago, but still have drops. And I'm sad about the whole thing. Now another thing I found out from the lc when i was trying to relactate is that I could have breastfed while taking the b/p meds. that they did not cross the barrier

my daughter is on alimentum formula, I feed her as I would if I were nursing the best I can, we use a playtex slow flow and I hold her close.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#26 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
To be honest, I didn't think about what I was going to feed my daughter when I was pregnant, I was just praying that I would be able to carry her until she could breath on her own.

When she was born the nurse asked me if I wanted to breastfeed, and I said yes..it just felt natural. I didn't research or anything.
The LC from the hospital came in and said it wouldn't be a good idea since I was on Mag-sulf drip and b/p meds. I was sad but honestly knew no better, she was in the nicu and I was not allowed to get out of bed for 24 hours. My stupid b/p didn't want to come down and I was on them for 6 weeks post partem with b/ps still in the 200's. I still had plenty of milk 6 weeks post partum and wanted to breastfeed, she was on SOY formula at the time and was starting to have reflux probs etc..

She would not latch...she didn't know how. I took her to the ped to discuss this and she told me that "babies won't eat what will hurt them" and that she has food allergies, and she needs to be on a hypoallergenic formula. I believed her: : . And I'm still mad at myself. The hypoallergenic formula did NOT help her, and I tried to relactate for 4 months, hospital grade pump, took fenugreek, reglan..still only drops:

I returned the pump a month ago, but still have drops. And I'm sad about the whole thing. Now another thing I found out from the lc when i was trying to relactate is that I could have breastfed while taking the b/p meds. that they did not cross the barrier

my daughter is on alimentum formula, I feed her as I would if I were nursing the best I can, we use a playtex slow flow and I hold her close.
I am so sorry that the system screwed you over. Your story makes me want to cry. I wish that we could sue the medical bas***d's that give us wrong info. I was talked into an unneccesary c-section and I am still dealing with the consequences months later and will with all future pregnancies. My experience has taught me to never.trust.a.doctor.again. I will always double check everything and get second, third, fourth, opinions if need be.

Your daughter does have a lucky momma that holds her close. To many ff prop the bottle or worry about when they can start holding it for themselves. And that's just sad.
#27 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, there are some really amazing responses….I am jealous of all those who said breastfeeding was a part of their culture! Personally, I chose to breastfeed because it was NOT part of my culture, and I wanted to be deviant! My mother didn’t breastfeed me, and I wanted to do it because she didn’t! It’s probably a bad reason, but I think it was one of the main ones. I hadn’t seen anyone breastfeed a baby before, I got pregnant, can you believe it?

That being said, I think I still would have breastfed if I'd been breastfed. All the more reason not to break the chain...I wouldn't have wanted to be the first one that's for sure.
#28 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail View Post
Because I'm a mammal & had been through 7th grade biology. That's not even snark.
Yep, me too. I was FF and as I was growing up, I was only exposed to 1 baby being breastfed. And yet, I never actually decided to BF...as in, I did not feel there was a choice. I just BF because that's what boobs are for and I have boobs.

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .
#29 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 06:25 AM

I knew I would bf cause i hate having a bunch o s#!t to lug around but didn't put much thought into it till i was preggers then it was like duh i'm BFing
#30 of 148 Old 04-29-2007, 06:43 AM

I don't remember actually making a conscious decision, but here's the reasons as I remember them:

1. I grew up on a farm. I know what happens to calves that don't get mother's milk. It makes sense that the same would happen to human babies (failure to thrive and dead calves).

2. I'm cheap. Can't help it, it's in my blood. Ask DH. Why would I pay for something when I have a much better alterantive available for free?

3. I'm lazy. I hate to do dishes. The idea of getting up, mixing bottles, heating bottles, and later washing bottles is definitely prohibitive. I like my sleep. I'd rather just turn over and be done with it. Besides, my diaper bag is heavy enough with all those cloth diapers that I don't want to add to it with bottles and formula and water and whatever else goes with it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page