Does "pro-breastfeeding" equal "anti-formula"? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last
Lactivism > Does "pro-breastfeeding" equal "anti-formula"?
tallulahma's Avatar tallulahma 10:31 PM 05-12-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead View Post
With respect, my oldest son had blood in his diet and developed eczema most likely due to cows milk protien in my breastmilk. By this definition, while I was eating dairy when I didn't know he was sensitive to it, I was poisoning him. I think that's an unfair comparison.
no, its not fair to say YOU were poisoning him.
but it is fair to say that his body was being poisoned by your unknowingly subjecting him to milk through your bm, right? because you do relate his eczema to cow's milk proteins that were in your breastmilk while you were still eating dairy?

Human adults do not require cows milk. I learned that because I have cow's milk allergies.

and had you known that he might react to cow's milk proteins, would you still have ingested it? no.

so, knowing that our babies have an "open gut" why is it okay to put known allergens into them unless it is the ONLY option (like all previously listed reasons/situation)? why is it wrong of me to say anything with MSG / HFCS is POISON?

Cow's milk can become suddenly TOXIC to ADULTS (i am ONE).

So yes, formula MARKETED as an equally acceptable breastmilk substitute is evil. Formula with MSG/HFCS is poison. Is anyone going to really say MSG is not poisonous?

nak. sorry so choppy?

miss_sonja's Avatar miss_sonja 10:45 PM 05-12-2007
I do personally hate formula. Why? Because it's misused. It's a lifesaver for a very very small percentage of babies (babies who, in the past, would either have needed a wet nurse or probably would have died). It's overused, abused, and disenpowers women.
pumpkinhead's Avatar pumpkinhead 11:25 PM 05-12-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by inchijen View Post
no, its not fair to say YOU were poisoning him.
but it is fair to say that his body was being poisoned by your unknowingly subjecting him to milk through your bm, right? because you do relate his eczema to cow's milk proteins that were in your breastmilk while you were still eating dairy?
Well, I don't know this for sure since his father and grandfather have eczema and no dairy issues. It could be genetic, and it might not be. Who knows? But I do know that until he was 9 months old, any dairy in my diet caused bloody stools in him. It very well could have caused the eczema as well and since I am a mother and guilt is what I do best, I'll just go ahead and take the blame .



Quote:
so, knowing that our babies have an "open gut" why is it okay to put known allergens into them unless it is the ONLY option (like all previously listed reasons/situation)? why is it wrong of me to say anything with MSG / HFCS is POISON?

Cow's milk can become suddenly TOXIC to ADULTS (i am ONE).
I don't necessarily think it's wrong of you to say that these things are poisons, but it really depends on what your definition of a poison is. If it's "Something that causes injury or death" that's pretty broad. By that definition, a knife is a potential poison. As is alcohol, any and every perscription and OTC drug out there. We use poisons all the time to treat everything from cancer to ingrown toenails. Hell, water, consumed in great enough quantities is a poison.

Perhaps it's all just a matter of picking one's poisons.

I agree with you 100% about the marketing of formula. I think it's disgusting and underhanded that profit margins come before the health and well being of mothers and babies. I just don't agree that it's still a poison for specific babies if the alternative is starvation.
pumpkinhead's Avatar pumpkinhead 11:27 PM 05-12-2007
And just to be clear, I think the "I hate formula" angle only hurts us as lactivists. Especially in a society where it is so normalized and accepted. We're viewed as the hippy, crunchy, boob loving, lactivists freaks the formula companies want to make us out to be.
tallulahma's Avatar tallulahma 11:43 PM 05-12-2007
i was nak. a poison is technically a substance that when absorbed into a living organism causes harm and or death, esp if it is rapid and causes this effect in small doses. I consider many ,medications to be poisonous. Chemo is poison and is also very effective at what is designed to do. Antibiotics are poisonous.

It does sound like your childs eczema was hereditary and you shouldnt beat yourself up about it. hehe, like that helps. I am the same way.

I think that the great thing about being a lactivist is that you do not have to be a breastfeeding mom. ff moms can and are lactivists. You do not have to hate formula, or think it evil to be a lactivist.

However, a lot of lactivists have specific reasons for becoming this way. Mine, personally, started with NIP and is now directly related to the fact that I was told by doctors that formula was okay. Then years after I quit giving dd formula, I read things about MSG in formula and get OUTRAGED. WHY is this allowed? I would have NEVER NEVER knowingly given my baby a bottle of formula a day if I had known it was that bad. I thought it was GOOD for her then.

Now, I am anti formula for a host of reasons. For some.. this goes hand in hand. For others, one is more important than the other.
tallulahma's Avatar tallulahma 11:50 PM 05-12-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead View Post
And just to be clear, I think the "I hate formula" angle only hurts us as lactivists. Especially in a society where it is so normalized and accepted. We're viewed as the hippy, crunchy, boob loving, lactivists freaks the formula companies want to make us out to be.
Yep... just like ten years ago only hippy dippy crunchy types worried about eating ORGANIC?



Remember there have to be extremes in order have an average.

I can tell you, that WHENEVER i tell someone the ingredients in formula... its stops the debate. No one can argue how close it is to breastmilk and how harmless it is. ESP. when there is such a global push right now to be greener.
siobhang's Avatar siobhang 01:10 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy~mamax3 View Post

But honestly. How long has formula been around? Yes, the infant mortality rate was higher two centuries ago, but not because babies were starving to death.
actually, they were dying due to contaminated cows milk. While we can decry formula all we want to (and there is plenty to decry), the demand for alternative feeding methods predates modern formula.

Read A Social History of Wet Nursing in America: From Breast to Bottle - it is clear from historical evidence that babies did die from a lack of safe formula - and the vast majority of those babies were in poor families where the mothers had to work.
nataliachick7's Avatar nataliachick7 01:18 AM 05-13-2007
my son is on a medical formula and it is saving his life. he cannot digest protein. he also has other food intolerances besides protein. my breastmilk would literally kill his gi tract because it would contain things from what i ate that he could not handle.
nikihodges's Avatar nikihodges 01:46 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
I do personally hate formula. Why? Because it's misused. It's a lifesaver for a very very small percentage of babies (babies who, in the past, would either have needed a wet nurse or probably would have died). It's overused, abused, and disenpowers women.
yes yes yes
sonrisaa29's Avatar sonrisaa29 01:46 AM 05-13-2007
I too FF because I am on a schedule II medication that could of harmed my son. My doctor said there was a 30% chance that the medication through breast milk would harm him and I am sorry but I wasn't willing to take those odds. So we chose formula, my son never got reflux, he liked a pacifer but gave it up on his own at 6 months we never even had to take it away from him.

I was able to produce milk and could of, but again I didn't want to risk it. In fact if I had known about milkbanks back then I might of looked into it. What hurt more than anything else though was people who were lactivists and who didn't know me at all and would tell me how I am killing my child, that I don't love him etc.... Of course there were some great women who offered advice and once I told them why there were totally understanding. But it seemed more often than not that just because one saw a FF they automatically jumped to conclusions.

I think BM is the best but I did what I did to help keep my child alive. I also don't agree with making Formula a prescription because again while I believe BM is best I can't force someone else to make that decision.
prettypixels's Avatar prettypixels 01:49 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead View Post
See, I don't hate formula. Formula hasn't done anything to our country but feed children. It has saved many lives. I am GRATEFUL for formula. If you replace the word 'Formula' in your post to "Companies that manufacture, market, advertise formula" then we're on the same page. I can never say that I hate something that is responsible for saving children who otherwise might have died.
:
prettypixels's Avatar prettypixels 02:00 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishprinsezz View Post
i wonder how some one can call themself a lactivist but have nothing against formula. i realize some moms have true medial issues or have adopted a baby. they have no choice. it bothers me when some moms make excuses,milk didnt come in, not making enough. they are not being honest with them selves. maybe they got bad medical advise or didnt do research or just werent dedicated. formula is not natural just as taking meds for every little thing isnt either. i dont hate moms for ff. i just feel bad that for what ever reason, they werent able to have a successful bf.
You know, I used to think the same thing. Moms who said they "couldn't" breastfeed either just didn't want to, or were just badly informed, or didn't have good support. But I desperately want to, am very well informed, and have had excellent support and none of that has made one SMIDGEN of difference to the fact that I have low milk supply. I have not given up, but I would not begrudge a mama who did. Until you've walked in the shoes of a mama who is sweating blood and tears over her breastpumps and fenugreek and running around getting scrips for domperidone, try not to judge.

Here's the thing: Unless you know someone INTIMATELY, how would you know that this was their situation? You're sitting at a moms group and a mom says she couldn't breastfeed. On behalf of mamas with breastfeeding difficulties everywhere, I'd ask that you give her the benefit of the doubt, instead of assuming she needs you to tell her that she was just badly informed, not supported, etc. Given the experience I now have, I would much, much rather give a mama the benefit of the doubt. Breastfeeding is not easy, even for mamas with full supply, and I am not not not going to judge other mamas anymore if they aren't able to make it work.

I believe as lactivists we'd do the cause a huge favor if we could take judgement out of what we do, and have some compassion for other mamas instead.
prettypixels's Avatar prettypixels 02:11 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
My daughter is formula fed, but I'd don't agree that it should be promoted. I think it should only be available the mother at least tried to bfeed and couldn't, or for people with medical issues, etc... I don't think that ob's should ask, are you going to bf or formula feed. I think WIC should only give formula to those who CAN'T breastfeed. :
How would that work exactly? Would you force the mama to nurse in front of you so you could SEE the baby was still hungry? I'm trying to think of going to the grocery store to get formula when my hungry baby needed it, and having to stop to jump through hoops... with baby getting hungrier and hungrier... and it's making me :
BCFD's Avatar BCFD 02:14 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTT View Post
And if you think that modern formula is so much better than cows milk and corn syrup, go read a can. Two of the first ingredients are almost always cow's milk (or whey) and...you guessed it....corn syrup.
Corn syrup is only in soy formula from what I understand. I asked about this at WIC. Next time I'm at the market, I'll look at some labels, but formula made from cow's milk apparently does not contain HFCS.
tallulahma's Avatar tallulahma 02:14 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
my son is on a medical formula and it is saving his life. he cannot digest protein. he also has other food intolerances besides protein. my breastmilk would literally kill his gi tract because it would contain things from what i ate that he could not handle.
I dont think that anyone here ever said there wasnt a time and a place for formula. Formula is called for when breastmilk is unavailable for a multitude of reasons that are not the average situation.

I think the general consensus is that formula as a breastmilk substitute is not okay and that formula is inherently inferior because it is man made and contains horrible ingredients that are not good for babies/children. Formula could be better. Better for those who cannot breastfeed.

I dont think hating formula hurts the cause of lactivism, I think picking apart peoples reasons for hating formula by posting every reason known to man that a parent would HAVE to formula feed does. Yes, formula saves lives. That does not mean that it is okay that it contains MSG! I think the majority of formula on the market design for mass consumption is crap.

I think that it is the purpose of a lactivist to educate the masses on breastfeeding in order to create a society where bfing is the norm and formula is a life saving exception to the rule.

But defending formula in our current culture by saying it is saving your childs life is exactly the thing that makes lactivists look mean.

Formula is doing for your son what it was designed to do. Save a life in an extremely dire situation. That does not make formula a great choice.

Antibiotics save lives. Everyday. Is it okay for people to choose to take an antibiotic because theyhave a cold? If a thread was started about how horrible antibiotics are because of misuse/ overuse.... would people start talking about their mom, brother and sister saved by antibiotics? I find it interesting because it poses the very important topic...

How can we promote breastfeeding and educate about the truths of formula without hurting the feelings of every ff mom we come across?

is that even possible?

Where does taking a stand together to promote breastfeeding and babies rights to superior nutrition get restricted because everytime it is discussed we have to back tread and apologize for every ff mom who HAD TO.



I wonder how we can coexist. How can a lactivist have strong beliefs, and keep her friends that choose to ff? Through acceptance of every mothers choice as the choice that was right for them. Through the understanding that no one knows everything about everyone.

I have a friend of 21 years, she really does not like the fact that I am still bfing, I do not like the fact that she chose to ff for convenience. What do we do? Accept our choices and move on. Why argue? we arent going to change each others mind. It doesnt have to divide us as mothers, and turn us into enemies.
prettypixels's Avatar prettypixels 02:17 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
But it's also true that the medical establishment in this country needs to step up and make sure that Moms are properly educated on the benefits of breastfeeding, how to do it, how to troubleshoot, and where to get support and help and advice and supplies (I have the darndest time finding size "I" nursing bras, and my OB couldn't advise me!). And this educational process needs to start BEFORE labor, and it needs to be routinely offered to every mom. We need to hear it from every OB, every nurse midwife, and every pediatrician. And folks who aren't experts on breastfeeding need to be able to admit that and refer to someone who is instead of giving misinformation. When my beloved pediatrician wondered why I wasn't weaning my child at 12 months, why I could have passed out cold from the shock. I thought he was smarter than that!
Right on! I had my latch evaluated by two midwives and a pediatrician who breastfed all three of her children and pronounced good. I wound up with bleeding scabby nipples a few days later. They are not experts!
captivatedlife's Avatar captivatedlife 02:26 AM 05-13-2007
Milk banks would solve many of our problems.

I would give anything to understand why people don't donate and why they aren't all over the place? I am in the process of searching out a family to take my extra - for free.

It just needs to be normalized in our society.

Formula is not evil. My beautiful niece is ff and wonderful. It's hard. Have I offered her my milk. Yes. Did she accept. No.

Formula is overmarketed and breastfeeding is NOT easy. DD was jaundiced, didn't latch for days 2-5 AND I had a horrible excuse for a LC. ....

I'm rambling now. I'll let the issue go....
prettypixels's Avatar prettypixels 02:32 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by inchijen View Post
I dont think hating formula hurts the cause of lactivism, I think picking apart peoples reasons for hating formula by posting every reason known to man that a parent would HAVE to formula feed does. Yes, formula saves lives. That does not mean that it is okay that it contains MSG! I think the majority of formula on the market design for mass consumption is crap.
I wholeheartedly agree that formula should be better. It should contain better ingredients and it should taste better. You've probably never tasted it, but I can tell you.. you don't want to. Ick!
Quote:
Antibiotics save lives. Everyday. Is it okay for people to choose to take an antibiotic because theyhave a cold? If a thread was started about how horrible antibiotics are because of misuse/ overuse.... would people start talking about their mom, brother and sister saved by antibiotics?
Yes, probably!


Quote:
I wonder how we can coexist. How can a lactivist have strong beliefs, and keep her friends that choose to ff?
How can a lactivist coexist within herself when she has to buy formula? This is the question I've been dealing with lately. I hate buying it, I prefer my husband to, I just hate buying it. I was at Target and saw another mama with a similar aged baby buying formula and I wanted to say "I breastfeed! I just have low supply!" My answer instead was to put the formula in my cart and then later in the store latch my baby on and walk around conspicuously hoping she'd notice me. (She didn't.) I don't know the answer, I wish I did. But FWIW I would not necessarily talk to others about how formula is a lifesaver for some babies... in my daily life what I would talk about is how amazing breastfeeding is. But I don't usually come across a debate like this in my daily life.
Kailey's mom's Avatar Kailey's mom 02:33 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
How would that work exactly? Would you force the mama to nurse in front of you so you could SEE the baby was still hungry? I'm trying to think of going to the grocery store to get formula when my hungry baby needed it, and having to stop to jump through hoops... with baby getting hungrier and hungrier... and it's making me :
oh my lord, looks like someone wants to debate chill chick!! no I would not, maybe it could be based on something called "honesty". Maybe formula companies could put on the label, if medically necessary(either for mama or baby)...jees just throwing out idea's anyway.
TigerTail's Avatar TigerTail 02:51 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
Right on! I had my latch evaluated by two midwives and a pediatrician who breastfed all three of her children and pronounced good. I wound up with bleeding scabby nipples a few days later. They are not experts!
OT
It may have been a perfectly good latch- my nipples got shredded at first too, with fabulous latchossity. When populations get isolated and breed with each other for generations, not every mutation is a useful one- some genes just go along for the ride, and some people are just going to have sore nips for a few weeks- not because it is a purposeful adaptation, but because it may go along with other characteristics (like psoriasis or hammertoes or ashy elbows).

The good news, is they toughened up & didn't bleed from subsequent nurslings- I was worried about that . It hurts. Anyway, your ped and midwives experts may have been right. All kinds of not-especially functional genetic baggage gets dragged along, and tender nipples may just be one of those characteristics.

I don't know why everyone fixates on the latch (sounds like blaming the victims ); no matter how crappy a latch other, later babies of mine developed, it never got scabby and owie like my first weeks of nursing.

It was well worth persevering.
wifeandmom's Avatar wifeandmom 03:27 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
Breastfeeding is not easy, even for mamas with full supply, and I am not not not going to judge other mamas anymore if they aren't able to make it work.

I believe as lactivists we'd do the cause a huge favor if we could take judgement out of what we do, and have some compassion for other mamas instead.
I have been blessed with four babies that all nursed easily with no major problems. I have a great supply. I was never in agony for an extended period of time. I never had bleeding nipples. I never had a baby screaming in hunger despite massive efforts to increase my supply.

I've met women in situations like mine. They never really had huge problems. And these are the women that tend to be SO incredibly judgmental IME. It baffles me really. Kind of like the women that have natural births, so anyone ought to be able to do it, then you read their birth stories and they were in labor for 5 hours with 10 minutes of pushing. I always want to pipe in with 'Come back and tell me how anyone ought to be able to do it after you've labored for 80 hours and pushed for 5 hours with no baby in sight.'

Just because someone else 'can do it' doesn't mean everyone can/will/is willing. Attacking women who are reluctant to BF is so incredibly counterproductive to increasing BF that's it's not funny. And telling a woman she 'didn't try hard enough', 'wasn't educated enough', 'is making up silly excuses', 'formula is poison', etc etc etc is nothing but an attack in their eyes.

Compassion would do way more for increasing BF numbers than all the judgement in the world. Any time you communicate with someone else and they feel attacked, it's no wonder they tune the message out. Seems we'd do better to keep that in mind when talking with moms about BF.

One recent example is a girl I know who is successfully BF her fourth child, now 8 months old, after BF the first three for 6-8 weeks each. How sad is it that she tells me I am the *first* person in all of her attempts at BF that has told her time and again that breastfeeding is hard work. It's *OK* to feel like you want to quit.

I have always gently encouraged her that it *usually* gets much easier after the first couple of months. Sometimes it doesn't, and you know what? She can quit if it's still awful. But it might be easier. And she'll never know if she doesn't try to get through those first few months when it's the hardest for most women.

At first, I found myself encouraging her on a daily basis. Then around 3 months, she calls me up and says 'Boy did I cheat myself out of the easiest part of nursing with the other three!'

Encouraging words and education. No need for harsh words, judgment, nastiness. It usually accomplishes the OPPOSITE of what you're after.
TigerTail's Avatar TigerTail 04:00 AM 05-13-2007
4 kids and you think of her as a 'girl'? :
wifeandmom's Avatar wifeandmom 04:04 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail View Post
4 kids and you think of her as a 'girl'? :
Well she sure isn't a boy. :

Insert another title if you like. Woman, mother, friend. All of the above apply.

Did you have a point, or were you being obtuse on purpose? :

Calling her a 'girl' is honestly just how we (meaning myself and friends) refer to each other. No harm meant, certainly no insult towards her or anyone else. If I were to tell this story to another friend, I'd start with 'This girl I know...' and there honest to goodness isn't anything to it.

I assure you, in case you are genuinely concerned, that we are all very aware of our adult status.
mommyddeville's Avatar mommyddeville 06:15 AM 05-13-2007
I hate making formula, I hate its smell, I hate how the nasty powder gets everywhere. . . but I don't hate formula.

I'm a foster mom, and I feed my foster babies formula. It's illegal to feed them breastmilk, unless it's from their own moms. And the babies I take are drug babies, so their moms can't pump for them. Formula is a necessity here, because milk banks aren't around or accessible for foster children. I hate buying formula. I wish I could wear a huge sign that says "I'm tandem nursing!" when I go in to buy a whole bunch of it. But until society changes and accepts donor milk as a valid alternative, it's a necessity for us.
pumpkinhead's Avatar pumpkinhead 09:33 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Antibiotics save lives. Everyday. Is it okay for people to choose to take an antibiotic because theyhave a cold? If a thread was started about how horrible antibiotics are because of misuse/ overuse.... would people start talking about their mom, brother and sister saved by antibiotics? I find it interesting because it poses the very important topic...
I think there is a subtle difference here that some of us are missing. No one ever says "I hate antibiotics. Antibiotics are evil". We say "I hate the overuse and misuse of antibiotics". Don't hate the player, hate the game .

And I do think you can advocate for breastfeeding and breastmilk and not hate formula. For me, it's like when there's a frigging election and instead of spending their time explaining their position, the candidates put their energy into bashing each other. That's when I turn the television off and vow not to vote for any of them.
pumpkinhead's Avatar pumpkinhead 09:38 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
But defending formula in our current culture by saying it is saving your childs life is exactly the thing that makes lactivists look mean.
I respectfully disagree. I don't think anyone here is 'defending' the use of formula. I think most of us are saying (as have you ) that there is a time and a place for formula and we're not winning any brownie points by going around telling people how much we hate it and how bad for babies it is.

Sure, formula is not optimal, but neither is starvation. If your choices are starvation or formula, I don't think that formula is a poor choice. It's the only choice.

Quote:
Formula is doing for your son what it was designed to do. Save a life in an extremely dire situation. That does not make formula a great choice.
So, with respect, what are we saying to this Mama here? "Sure, you had to use formula, but you still made a crappy choice?".
pumpkinhead's Avatar pumpkinhead 09:44 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom View Post
I have been blessed with four babies that all nursed easily with no major problems. I have a great supply. I was never in agony for an extended period of time. I never had bleeding nipples. I never had a baby screaming in hunger despite massive efforts to increase my supply.

I've met women in situations like mine. They never really had huge problems. And these are the women that tend to be SO incredibly judgmental IME. It baffles me really. Kind of like the women that have natural births, so anyone ought to be able to do it, then you read their birth stories and they were in labor for 5 hours with 10 minutes of pushing. I always want to pipe in with 'Come back and tell me how anyone ought to be able to do it after you've labored for 80 hours and pushed for 5 hours with no baby in sight.'

Just because someone else 'can do it' doesn't mean everyone can/will/is willing. Attacking women who are reluctant to BF is so incredibly counterproductive to increasing BF that's it's not funny. And telling a woman she 'didn't try hard enough', 'wasn't educated enough', 'is making up silly excuses', 'formula is poison', etc etc etc is nothing but an attack in their eyes.

Compassion would do way more for increasing BF numbers than all the judgement in the world. Any time you communicate with someone else and they feel attacked, it's no wonder they tune the message out. Seems we'd do better to keep that in mind when talking with moms about BF.

One recent example is a girl I know who is successfully BF her fourth child, now 8 months old, after BF the first three for 6-8 weeks each. How sad is it that she tells me I am the *first* person in all of her attempts at BF that has told her time and again that breastfeeding is hard work. It's *OK* to feel like you want to quit.

I have always gently encouraged her that it *usually* gets much easier after the first couple of months. Sometimes it doesn't, and you know what? She can quit if it's still awful. But it might be easier. And she'll never know if she doesn't try to get through those first few months when it's the hardest for most women.

At first, I found myself encouraging her on a daily basis. Then around 3 months, she calls me up and says 'Boy did I cheat myself out of the easiest part of nursing with the other three!'

Encouraging words and education. No need for harsh words, judgment, nastiness. It usually accomplishes the OPPOSITE of what you're after.
excellent post :
shayinme's Avatar shayinme 11:45 AM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
Breastfeeding is not easy, even for mamas with full supply, and I am not not not going to judge other mamas anymore if they aren't able to make it work.

I believe as lactivists we'd do the cause a huge favor if we could take judgement out of what we do, and have some compassion for other mamas instead.
This really bears repeating, thank you for saying this. I think the judgement totally makes it hard for people to take lactavist serious, at times it feels really high schoolish the judgements BF'ders make on ff folks. The cause really needs less judgement.

Shay
carriebft's Avatar carriebft 11:51 AM 05-13-2007
Reading this thread you'd think lactivism is being redefined as judgement. I don't think lactivism is nearly as horrible as this thread makes it out to be (that is, full of mom who think formula is poison, moms who judge every FF mom they see, etc).

I think lactivists need to strive to be like those 90-100% countries. And I think our number is low for many reasons, but one of them is that many mothers CHOOSE not to breastfeed at all.

Yes, all those posts in this thread about foster moms and adoptive moms and low milk supply and all those valid reasons....those all exist. I will venture to say that every legitimate lactivist on this board knows that.
nataliachick7's Avatar nataliachick7 12:32 PM 05-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCFD View Post
Corn syrup is only in soy formula from what I understand. I asked about this at WIC. Next time I'm at the market, I'll look at some labels, but formula made from cow's milk apparently does not contain HFCS.
nope. corn syrup is in ALL of them. we have been on similac milk based, soy based, lactose free, alimentum, nutrimagen, and finally neocate. they ALL contain corn syrup. as a matter of fact, in neocate, that is the first ingredient on the list.
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last

Up