being Evicted for breastfeeding - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 70 Old 05-21-2007, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good for you for sticking to your guns. I'd also check with housing laws- in some states you can withhold rent until repairs are made (and the house is in "livable" condition). I know my dps have had to do this a couple times to get things taken care of.
#62 of 70 Old 05-21-2007, 06:46 PM

We once had a landlord who "did all his own repairs" for years, eventually ending up with a gas leak and numerous code violations.

The inspector told me could we withhold rent but the landlord was legally obliged to put us up in a hotel until the violations were fixed. (At the time, I was a college student in the middle of finals and I didn't have the time or energy to relocate my computer and all my study materials to a hotel.) Ask the inspectors what they recommend!!)
#63 of 70 Old 05-24-2007, 10:52 PM

any updates yet?

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#64 of 70 Old 05-24-2007, 11:20 PM

Wow.

What a...there are no words. Really. None. You rock, though, and are SO much more in control of yourself than I would be.

Mostly sane mother to twins.
#65 of 70 Old 05-24-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis337 View Post
I don't know where you live, but A: your landlord has a legal obligation to answer and address your maintenance issues. And B: you CANNOT be evicted for bf'ing on his property. Get a pro bono lawyer, ASAP!

That must have been so intimidating. Let him try to take legal action because with the situation you described there is no way he would win You are in the legal right.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#66 of 70 Old 05-25-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I'd also check with housing laws- in some states you can withhold rent until repairs are made (and the house is in "livable" condition).
Yes and no. Don't WITHHOLD rent because they can evict you for nonpayment. Pay your rent and put it in it escrow. Yes, it's being paid, but the landlord can't touch the $$$ until the repairs are made.
#67 of 70 Old 05-25-2007, 02:47 AM

No update?

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#68 of 70 Old 05-25-2007, 09:54 AM

Just wanted to offer you support. I hope that the stupid landlord gets in some serioius trouble.
#69 of 70 Old 05-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

Just subbing in so I can see how things work out. What a terrible thing for you to have to be going through, your landlord sounds like one of those who gets off on bullying women. Good for you for not letting him!!

#70 of 70 Old 05-28-2007, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm surprised I didn't see this sooner! Good for you not letting him push you around!

I wouldn't be as nice as you, though. I would take it as an opportunity to nurse my son outside every day and enjoy the nice weather!

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page