Did breastfeeding come easily to you and your baby? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did nursing come easily to you and your baby?
Yes 312 49.45%
No 253 40.10%
Other 66 10.46%
Voters: 631. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both of my experiences were disasters, but we persevered and were finally able to establish a good, and long-lasting, BF relationship.
#62 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 09:52 PM

We had a rough first week or two, and a super rough first 3 or 4 days - he only latched on maybe once or twice and then for the next week it was possible but hard and rather traumatic - hed cry for an hour while we struggled... And then one day I realized we'd figured it out Though night nursings were rather hard for the first month or so before, once again I woke up and realized, we'd done it! We'd nursed w/o issue lying down!! Since then its been a breeze

So, I chose Other
#63 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 09:55 PM

Due to epidural and rushed labor b/c of preeclampsia, dd did not latch at birth.
I ep'ed for 10 weeks before she latched. In the meantime, I had mastitis 3 times, thrush for 6 weeks, and reynaud's phenomenon.

once she latched, It took another month for my nipples to heal, and then we had 4 months of peaceful nursing. Peaceful being semi normal, not fighting me, but still not easy.

As almost 7 months, I got a severe sinus infection b/c of my allergies. I took 2 zyrtec after researching. IT was not supposed to effect supply. It did mine. I can look back and see the signs now, but at the time we thought it was teething. I ended up getting the flu at 10 1/2 months, and my already low supply pretty much tanked. We kept nursing but were supplementing with organic whole milk to help her regain weight. We kept nursing to 12 1;2 months, at which time she would suck very hard to try to get milk, and I was in pain. After all that we had gone through, I did not have any figth left. We weaned at 12 1/2 months.

Thankfully, I am one who likes to learn from what we have gone through. With the next one I am goign to do things totally different, starting with a healthier pregnancy and homebirth.

belly.gifLesli: Wife to Jon, Mommy to my treasures, Kyla(Feb 06), Erin (Nov 08), and "Beanie" due 01/12! We're a home centered family! Homebirth, homecooking, homemade homegrown, and homeschooling!!

#64 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 09:57 PM

I think it's encouraging to see how many of us had issues usually put out there as 'insurmountable', but were more 'eh, just a blip' in the long run.
#65 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 10:13 PM

Getting nursing going with both DSs was very hard. In part it's because I have only one breast that makes milk, I had cancer in the other one and it never made milk. Also, both DS's had tongue tie and weren't properly stimulating the breast to make milk. So it took lots of herbs, pumping, supplementing at the breast etc but DS1 nursed for 3 years and DS2 is going strong at 13 months.
#66 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 10:16 PM

OK, tongue-tie & cancer, you officially Kick Ass.
#67 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 PM

I actually had a really easy time of it. I got help in the hospital for engorgement when i had DS1 there. Sore nipples were just sensitive for the first 2 weeks for both boys. I've never had thrush or mastitis. I did have OALD but we just suffered through all the spit up with DS1 and with DS2 we block fed from the start and fixed that pretty quickly. :

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#68 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 10:26 PM

We really had NO problems nursing. She took right to it, and the only realy "help" we received in the hospital was to show me how to lay down and nurse, but with a c-section, it was just too early to be feasible. We were pretty far from the door (in a private room), but anyone walking in could hear her swallowing! "Wow, I was going to ask how nursing was going, but I can tell from her swallow that it is going well!" That's what we heard on more than one occasion. They joked that they were going to use us as an example.
#69 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 10:37 PM

I really never understood how an unnatural birth affects BFing..... I had a c-section and they just brought me dd 30min later and she latched on and we never had any issues untill last weekend I got Mastitis..... I think the root of big problems is lack of suppourt.....
#70 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 10:41 PM

It was easy with my 6yo ds. He was a great nurser, knew just what to do. My 14mo dd is a different story. She had a horrible latch for about 3 weeks. She would roll my nipple off her tongue over and over and it hurt so bad. It didn't matter how far a stuffed my nipple into her mouth, she managed to roll it. Thankfully, she eventually stopped doing it and is a great nurser now.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#71 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 10:46 PM

It didn't come so easily for us. Bleeding nipples, spit up, a hoover-vacuum cleaner suck that didn't stop hurting until he was 2 months - and yet I trudged on. I had to be committed, and I'm proud to say he never had a drop of formula. I can see why some stop, but I was determined.
#72 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 11:46 PM

I had a terrible time. I had the flu the day before I had DS, which apparently depleted a lot of my hormones. I had to be induced due to pre-e a month early. Managed to give birth without pain meds, but the mag sulfate made him sleepy. As if that wasn't enough, he also had bad jaundice along with being a preemie that made it very difficult to keep him awake. My milk never came him. My son was 2 months old and starving by the time I finally gave in and started supplementing. I spent those first two months on every herb, every medication imaginable. I would nurse, give DS a bottle, pump, and then it was time to nurse again 24 hours a day.

I am happy to say that I am still nursing DS at 13 months. We could never take him off the supplements and had to start solids a lot earlier than I had intended. We still have to go for weight checks every 6 weeks because he's still not gaining weight very steadily.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#73 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 11:50 PM

We had nearly every nursing problem, except low supply. Flat nipples, Cora didn't know how to suck, reluctant to wake and east (preemie), blocked ducts, I was unknowingly given a med you can't take while nursign (had to pump & dump for a few days to get it out of my system), repeated thrush, nipple shields for 2 months. Those first months were absolutely awful. Then one day, when she was about 2.5-3mos old, right when I was about to give up, it just clicked! And we ended up nursing til she was 2.5 yrs old and she weaned herself.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#74 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 11:52 PM

I guess I'm one of those obnoxious people for whom breastfeeding was really easy. : My DD and I both got it right away, and I had to have a c-section so I was expecting difficulty. Mind you, she nursed CONSTANTLY--each feeding lasted 1 to 1 1/2 hours, then we'd have like a 1/2 hour off and then she was ready to go again! I really didn't see this as a "problem" (though I realize it would drive most people crazy)--I just figured it was what she needed, so I just relaxed and enjoyed it. It did make errands interesting, though!
#75 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 11:53 PM

Yes, we had a very easy time. I had sore, slightly chapped nipples for the first week or so. Cured by Lansinoh.
#76 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 11:54 PM

I had trouble with two of my kids, and no problem with one. The first time we had trouble it was nipple confusion issues because of too-early bottle supplementing, which we did because my milk was slow to come in and the doc got on our case about not enough wet diapers.

The second time I had trouble was with one of my twins, who was low birthweight, had a weak suck, bad jaundice, and who lost far too much weight (about 20% of birthweight). She needed help learning to suck efficiently and help staying awake long enough to fill her tummy, and I needed help maintaining supply while she learned. Then she got hooked on the SNS and needed to wean from that.

DS latched beautifully, has always nursed like a champ, and has had no problems except just recently a case of thrush, which is really not turning out to be a big deal for us since he's not bothered by it and I have no symptoms. Hopefully we'll have no trouble treating it and it will be gone soon.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#77 of 195 Old 05-16-2007, 11:58 PM

The only problem I ever had was my milk taking a loooong time to come in with my first child. We didn't have any problems with latch or sucking. Some sore nipples in the beginning and one bout of thrush....that's it.
#78 of 195 Old 05-17-2007, 12:38 AM

Voted other because was willing to try but found out there was large percentage that the medications I am could of seriously harmed or killed my baby and wasn't willing to take chance.
#79 of 195 Old 05-17-2007, 12:40 AM

I voted yes for my daughter who was born after a labor with an epidural the last 2 hrs. She never had any problem, I only had to get her close.

my son, after c/sec, nursed fine, I had discomfort so I had his short frenulum clipped and problem solved.
#80 of 195 Old 05-17-2007, 01:48 AM

no problems whatsoever

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#81 of 195 Old 05-17-2007, 01:57 AM

Hmmm.. I wonder if we're really a representative sample, because maybe a lot of people come here who wanted advice, or worked really hard to be successful, so have an extra stake in promoting bf'ing education? Anyhow, I think it's weird (& unfortunate) that so many women have had troubles - I mean, we're all mammals here, we are here as a species through generations of successful lactation. Anyhow, I voted yes, although a combination of flat nipples & a slightly early DD w/a teeny little mouth made for nipple scabs by day 4 - but w/ample use of lansinoh, a little more attention paid to her latch, & a lot of wandering around the house w/an unbuttoned shirt, by 1/2 way through the 2nd week, all was great, & we never had any other problems. Two teeth by 6 months, she nipped me once a week after they came through, never again (up to 8 teeth now). I did have to start supplementing w/formula by month 8 (due to my current pregnancy, & a supply drop in the 2nd tri.), but DD is still nursing at a year old, & I'm 31 weeks along, so we should make it to tandeming.

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
#82 of 195 Old 05-17-2007, 02:14 AM

I had to say other - first baby, nursing came natural to both of us in spite of my milk taking 5 days to come in and formula supplementation by nurses and no rooming in. I consider us very, very lucky given the circumstances.

Second baby, nursing was second nature to me but my baby was under six lb and barely could get his mouth around my nipple he was so tiny. Had to wake him to nurse. My milk came in by the beginning of the third day but by then was getting hassled about my tiny babe losing too much weight & being jaundiced... fought back, dodged the formula and by day 5 he was gaining nearly 2oz a day.

Skip forward to about 6 weeks, just when things were supposed to be getting smoother, thrush hit us.. took two courses of diflucan to kick it.

Months later, frenectomy for tongue tie just bad enough to be a chronic problem.

After all that, ds2 nursed until he self-weaned at 3.5.
#83 of 195 Old 05-17-2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahbazin View Post
Hmmm.. I wonder if we're really a representative sample, because maybe a lot of people come here who wanted advice, or worked really hard to be successful, so have an extra stake in promoting bf'ing education? Anyhow, I think it's weird (& unfortunate) that so many women have had troubles - I mean, we're all mammals here, we are here as a species through generations of successful lactation. Anyhow, I voted yes, although a combination of flat nipples & a slightly early DD w/a teeny little mouth made for nipple scabs by day 4 - but w/ample use of lansinoh, a little more attention paid to her latch, & a lot of wandering around the house w/an unbuttoned shirt, by 1/2 way through the 2nd week, all was great, & we never had any other problems. Two teeth by 6 months, she nipped me once a week after they came through, never again (up to 8 teeth now). I did have to start supplementing w/formula by month 8 (due to my current pregnancy, & a supply drop in the 2nd tri.), but DD is still nursing at a year old, & I'm 31 weeks along, so we should make it to tandeming.

I dont think its weird so many have troubles. With the medical professionals treating childbirth as a disease and all the unecessary interventions during the actual labor. I find it indicates that proper mother baby instincts are slowly stripped of us and replaced with loads of books by "experts" telling us our instincts are wrong. Therefore the natural instinct to put crying baby to the breast is also regarded as "spoiling" and such. They tell us to put the baby to the breast evey two hours at least. If you nurse, change the diaper and burp the baby.... the baby is just wanting to comfort suckle, so a pacifier is given..... Then everyone wonders why supply is low in sooo many women. Mammals have survived for so long based on instinct and observation and experience. That has been removed from industrialized societies that believe we now are smarter and can do everything better with improved technology.

Couple that with all the misinformation given to new mothers and the fact that a large portion of the population grows up seeing nothing but bottles as
the method of infant feeding and I think it is quite understandable why so many american women have troubles bfing.

ill just hop of my soapbox now.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#84 of 195 Old 05-17-2007, 02:31 AM

I didn't vote. It was OK. We had the small hurdle of funky latches that were caused by torticolis. Once we worked thru that we were hunkey dory.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#85 of 195 Old 05-17-2007, 05:14 AM

Other: Yes and no.

I had horrible soreness with blisters and bleeding for the first 2 weeks (once I saw the lc and we figured out she was curling her bottom lip we were able to fix it) with dd. Plus, she randomly forcefully vomited for about a month--I believe she had mild reflux. But other than that it's been very natural and easy. So far, no infections or anything.

With ds (my 1st dc) there was definitely a learning curve. It took me a while to get comfortable with bfing and he had a really strong latch. I was sore on and off for a whole year. I can totally tell the difference with dd--she doesn't suck nearly as hard as ds did. I did get blocked milk ducts a few times while nursing ds, but they never developed into anything more serious.
#86 of 195 Old 05-17-2007, 08:07 AM

I voted other because I had completely different experiences with my two children. With dd, it was ridiculously difficult. She refused to latch for the first 4 weeks. I battled low supply because I didn't have enough stimulation at the breast while exclusively pumping. It eventually worked out and she went on to nurse 17 months.

With ds it was ridiculously easy. He latched on soon after birth and it was smooth sailing. We are 10 months in with no sign of stoppping anytime soon.
#87 of 195 Old 05-17-2007, 08:27 AM

With both mine I had no trouble. With dd i did have a tiny water blister on one nipple when she was a day old but once I realized that her upper lip wasnt flairing and fixed that it got better with no real effort. I did get engorged with her as well but I was so thrilled to know I had milk that I dont count that as a problem

With ds i didnt have a single thing he latched on within 15 minutes of birth and never looked back. Not even slightly sore nips with him.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#88 of 195 Old 05-17-2007, 08:39 AM

We had latch issues and thrush.
#89 of 195 Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 AM

DS & I really hit the nursing jackpot. Good latch, no thrush, no mastisis, no supply issues, no nursing strikes. He latched on in the delivery room and never looked back.
#90 of 195 Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 AM

I voted easy.

My milk came in on day 5, and I gave him 2 bottles of formula in the days prior to that. He lost a pound in the first week, but our pediatrician never suggested supplementing. We had thrush at about 3 weeks old, but it easily cleared up (with funny pictures of a purple baby ), and I was expecting it, because I had a broad spectrum antibiotic in labor. He bit me once when his first tooth came in, but never again.

It has actually been really, really easy. And, as I didn't prepare for anything else, I'm really glad.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page