Did breastfeeding come easily to you and your baby? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did nursing come easily to you and your baby?
Yes 312 49.45%
No 253 40.10%
Other 66 10.46%
Voters: 631. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2007, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read and hear SO many stories about mothers and babies having such a difficult time nursing. I know that for many it doesn't come naturally, but I have a hard time relating, as me and DD never had an issue, except for sore nipples. I am curious to see just how many mothers battle problems nursing.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2007, 03:03 PM

It did come easy for us -- my milk came in right away, the baby knew what to do right away, it just was a very straightforward process. We had issues with constant spit-up and crying, and worrying about whether foremilk vs. hindmilk was contributing to that, and there were a couple of nursing strikes when she was an older infant -- but basically it was a piece of cake.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:04 PM

It wasn't easy but it wasn't some huge hurdle either. I expect that there is a learning curve.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:08 PM

No. He actually never latched once. Not even a bad latch.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:11 PM

I didn't vote since I have more than one child and different experiences with them.

DD#1: it really did come easy to us, just sore nipples and that was it.

DS#1 and #2: Twins, all new ball game. They were 6 weeks early, and had all sorts of problems.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:16 PM

Since I have 4, I have different experiences. My 1st was very hard - immature suck, flat nipples, plus I hemmoraged after birth (very fast!) and was very anemic postpartum (still sent home though, no special istructions other than to rest! GRRRR). But my doctor, bless her, sent an LC (billed it to insurance as a home visit!) and we worked it out with a nipple shield for 4 weeks while we both got stronger, then she helped me wean off the shield. The 2nd was in the NICU for 3 days, but nursed well except for tucking in his bottom lip for a month. My DD was a champ - no problems at all!! And she had a bit of formula after birth (low blood sugar - I know, there are ?s as to whether this was necessary). My 4th,a boy, great birth, 9lbs 7oz., was fine except for the 3rd day when my milk came in, we had one rough night then all was well. My babes all gained a pound/week in the beginning! I think what brought me through the 1st was determination and my doctor. After that, I knew I could handle any nursing issue. Plus I became a breastfeeding counselor after my 2nd. But I still think we should have lactation mentors who can be there (at least on the phone) for that night after you get home, your milk comes in, you're engorged and baby won't latch! I mean, if I had trouble, with my 4th baby, and training in bf, think of the trouble a new mama might have - even just feeling alone and tired/vulnerable! We need night mentors! Let's start a service!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:18 PM

Breastfeeding has been so easy and natural for me. I feel bad when I hear mamas talk about sore breasts, bad latch, and infections. I have not had to deal with any of this. Both my kids latched on minutes after being born and are nursing pros.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:21 PM

I voted no, but the nursing DID come naturally. It just came with blisters and cracks and bleeding nipples and lots of pain for a few weeks. But I never considered any alternative.

-Angela
Old 05-16-2007, 03:22 PM

No. But at least I didn't have the pain/cracked nipples/thrush/mastitis issues some women have. He wasn't getting enough milk from me, but the nursing itself was enjoyable. (Probably part of why I didn't realize it was a bad latch ... because it *wasn't* painful.)
Old 05-16-2007, 03:22 PM

In hindsight it wasn't that bad. Once I got past the initial nipple soreness and engorgement. For about 6 weeks it was really painful when she would try to latch onto the right side. I was driven to tears many times. I don't really know if that was normal, because she is my first. But I got through it. I voted that it came pretty easily to me.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 PM

We had a lot of problems, but I think a lot of it related to our birth. I planned a natural birth and ended up with everything but: epidural, pitocin, vacuum. : I think that has a lot to do with it, and probably does for a lot of women. But failure was not an option, and we've never supplemented once! Yay!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:26 PM

Yes. Very easily. I never had any problems at all - not even a sore nipple!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:42 PM

All 3 of my kids never had problems bf'ing

We are still waiting for #4 to make its appearance.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:46 PM

Nursing came easily for me and all three babies. I did have issues with mastitis, especially with dc#2, but strickly speaking that wasn't a "learning to nurse" issue.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
Old 05-16-2007, 03:48 PM

I was a super success story. DS latched right away and nursed like a champ. My milk came in before we checked out of the hospital (2 days), and I was never ever even tempted to use any artificial food. I had the sore nipples, a blister on one, but that sort of comes with the territory for those of us with sensitive skin naturally. I really dislike the claims that "if you do it right you won't get sore" Because you know what? Some women do do it right and still get sore, why give them the impression they are doing something wrong?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:49 PM

3 babies, 3 good nursing experiences. My first baby and I struggled a little off and on, but overall, no serious breastfeeding problems with any of my children.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:59 PM

Yes. No problems, not even a sore nipple. I thought there was a problem but I didn't know it took a couple days for milk to come in. So he was kinda fussy until it did. I also never considered anything but breastfeeding. I hope this next baby does just as well.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:04 PM

We had challenges... I have flat nipples and used a nipple shield for nearly 6 weeks before we could start weaning from it. Then we had major ear infections that ultimately were responsible for thrush between the two of us on and off from when DS was 4 mos till he was 11 mos and we had tubes put in.

That having been said, I wouldn't do it any other way. DS is now nearly 19 mos and still nursing. I'm 5 1/2 mos pregnant with DD and the only challenge we have now is tender nipples from the pregnancy.

I understand moms who have challenges and give up, but (meaning no offense to anyone) I really think they are missing out on something amazing!

Daughter of the King, wife to a loving husband, mommy to DS 10/26/05, DD 9/16/07, and my precious gone to be with Jesus 12/09.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:10 PM

I've had different experiences. Fortunately both of my babies latched on perfectly and my milk came in right away. With my DD I returned to work and went back on the pill at the insistence of my OB. Big mistake. It was sooo hard to keep up that I ended up weaning her at 6 mos, and before that we were supplementing w/formula. This time around I knew a lot more and refused to use any hormonal bc. I also am a SAHM now and it makes feeding on demand much easier. However, it hurt like hell this time around. DS is now 6 months and I still have painful let downs, lots of leaking, nipple soreness.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:19 PM

No, not at all....never made it past 6 mos with any of my children...its a VERY emotional thing for me....chronic mastitis, engorgement, plugged ducts, cracked, bleeding nipples, one is inverted the other flat...I cried constantly while nursing....I am arming myself with some tools to help with this nursing relationship. This is my last child as I am getting my tubes tied so its my only chance for redemption.I wanna nurse til this baby is atleast 2!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:20 PM

i put yes, but we did have some struggles in those first few days.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:28 PM

with #1 it was pretty straightforward. Looking back, I can see where I averted trouble by educating myself beforehand. My milk took 5 days to come in after my failed induction cesarean but I did not allow any bottles or pacifiers that were being offered. I knew the colostrum I was producing would sustain him until my milk came in and I didn't want to risk nipple confusion. So, while I was very worried waiting for my milk to come in, when it did, it was easy.

#2 was very difficult, but it was due to the circumstances and his health. Very long story, but I didn't get him latched on for almost a month and 1/2 and then I could only nurse him half the time because he wore out too quickly due to his heart condition. He had his first heart surgery at 3 months old and the day he was released from the hospital, was the last day he had a bottle for about 6 months. I continued nursing him until he was done at 19 months old.

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

Old 05-16-2007, 04:31 PM

I've been very lucky. No physical problems and a VERY supportive DH. DD1 and I had some issues with over active letdown causing him gas, but other than that it's been very smooth.(Knock on wood! )

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS 1 was kind of tough because he was pretty sleepy from all the drugs they gave me during labor. I had bleeding nipples at one point. Then when my OB put me on bc pills it affected my milk supply and he ended up being bottle fed after 4 months. I wish I'd known then what I know now.
DS 2 was a piece of cake, except for the food allergies and weight gain issue caused by them. Once we figured out the elimination diet, it was all good.
DS 3 always had a great latch, no problems at all except a bit of soreness the first week which I thought was probably hormonal.
DD never had any issues, except that she's such a booby baby my babysitter has a bit of trouble getting her to take a bottle.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:33 PM

Other. 31-week preemie, couldn't even attempt nursing for a month, and it took a while for his breathe-suck-swallow reflex to kick in.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 05-16-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandmama View Post
Breastfeeding has been so easy and natural for me. I feel bad when I hear mamas talk about sore breasts, bad latch, and infections. I have not had to deal with any of this. .
:
Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 PM

Challenging with both.

#1 born at 35 weeks by emergency c-section. I didn't hold her for almost 3 hrs after birth. Was given supplements without my consent. Had jaundice and was under lights in an isolette in the nursery for 2 days. I would go to feed her every 3 hours because thats all I was allowed but I'd show up 20 mins prior to watch her and half the time a nurse would have her out, giving her formula no matter how much I protested. I was in pain and shock at her early arrival and not as strong as I could have been. She had a very weak suck and swallow reflex as well. We get home and my milk never comes in. I rent hosp grade pump and see a few LCs. Nothing helps. Worst part was she had reactions to all formula except Alimentum.

#2 Full term, VBAC baby. Thought things would be easy. I was diagnosed with PCOS between pregnancies. I think thats one reason my milk never came in with #1. Anyhow he latched on within minutes of birth. Dropped a pound under his birthweight. Didn't pass meconium for days. Hardly urinated. But I kept on with the nursing. His latch sucks due to upper lip AND tongue tie. I tried an SNS but he wouldn't take to it even though I used one with #1 and have experience. Just wants breastmilk, can't blame him, formula is wicked nasty tasting. So he's small and nursed 45mins of every hour most of the time until we got domperidone. I had tried every other galactagogue(sp?) out there. Dom helps some. He still has only gained 8 oz in the 6 weeks since I've started. He's 7 months and has yet to double his bw. LC said she's shocked I'm still nursing but she doesn't know what more to do. He's never had more than 1/4 oz of formula from trying out the SNS and I'm proud of that. I just wish it were easier and I had a good supply for him.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 PM

Yes. I feel very lucky to have had such an easy time BFing, despite having an epidural : and not getting her latched on until 6 hours after birth (no one could help me until 7AM : ). DD is now 14 months and a total boobie-aholic, and the only real BF difficulties happened when she was 11 months and we had some major biting probs.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

Old 05-16-2007, 04:57 PM

yes it was easy enough apart from sore nipples i had no problems with any of my lo's.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 05-16-2007, 05:01 PM

Very easy. I was prepared for it to be hard. I had read all about the different problems, read books, took a 5 hour class, lined up an LC... the works. But she latched right on and we never looked back.

I feel so sad when I see the struggles some moms go through with nursing. Just not fair

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

User Tag List