FFer's offended? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2007, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread has been very enlightening and blood pressure rising. I am going to bow out now. I don't want to cause tears or upset mommas. I think a lot has been said and needs to be digested (for me). I think a lot of these topics would make good individual threads. And I apologize if I caused any tears; I would never want a momma having a bad day due to my posts.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007, 08:10 PM

I'm bowing out too. Thanks for the discussion.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

Old 05-24-2007, 08:14 PM

I'm still in, if anyone feels like reading what I have actually written here ...
Old 05-24-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbh View Post
I'm still in, if anyone feels like reading what I have actually written here ...
Yes, I read your posts and agree with them.

Im sure everyone is still reading .

at least I am still reading.

I felt like so many good points were brought in, it seems silly to bow out after 14+ pages.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
Old 05-24-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchijen View Post
Yes, I read your posts and agree with them.

Im sure everyone is still reading .

at least I am still reading.
Awww... Thanks, inchijen! :

I posted the above whine in a fit of patheticism that has more to do with a completely unrelated situation* than with anything in this thread. It's been an awesome discussion and I've learned a lot and had opportunity to clarify my own thinking, which is always fun and welcome.

And I understand that people get to the point where they aren't getting anything out of it any longer, and I appreciate them letting us know that they are stepping back from the discussion; that's only polite, no?

*dissertation-related. 'Nuff said!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbh View Post
If we cannot say that breastfeeding is normal and basic and that formula is risky by comparison, then all of our promotion ultimately reaffirms what the formula industry wants everyone to believe: that formula is normal and breastfeeding is a nice but optional extra.
You've got no argument from me on this one. Breastfeeding IS basic. Formula is inferior. Those are the facts. I'm totally in favor of campaigns that promote this basic information. My point was only that the reason formula companies get so much mileage out of the "don't make women feel guilty" line is that so many women do feel guilty - IMHO, not because of the facts, but because of how they're presented.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:34 PM

personally i think we have gotten so far off the original thread topic that maybe we should end this thread...not because what we are discussing isn't pertinent, just because it isn't necessarily all related...it gets confusing at times if you reread it...
Old 05-25-2007, 12:01 AM

I've been spending too much time in this thread that should have been used at work and in cleaning my house. It's been a good discussion. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
I'm all for promoting BF in "ordinary" circumstances. I think most of the FFers here didn't do so by choice (or if they did it was some time ago) and aren't in favour of FF'ing as the default. Occasionally someone can get a little too lactageeky (like Princess Fiona... I bet they just wanted to make zucchini bottles and green milk). But that's certainly not insulting.

The only posts I've ever found insulting were ones making lazy generalisations about FF'ers (mostly not on MDC actually) and some of the extremist "formula is poison" posts, like in the other thread. For mothers like me who were forced to FF (and yeah, bdavis--I have the same feeling--I want to pin a sign saying "I tried to BF, but I have IGT!" to my chest. But maybe that's TMI ) it's already hurtful enough that we weren't able to give our babies the best--to be told that the stuff we have to use is poison is sometimes more than I can take.

Yeah that. I wish all women would bf, but those that must ff(rather than chose)can be offended by how judgemental lactivists can be. I have bfed and ffed(not b/c I'm lazy or chose to)and consider myself to be pretty hardcore lactivist, however some lactivists can be so mean on here. Yes, it hurts my feelings even though I have no reasons to feel guilty.

User Tag List