FFer's offended? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2007, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2snugbugs View Post
You mostly hear about moms who try to bf and then have problems and quit and ff. I have never heard about a mom who tries to ff, realizes it is not a good choice, and then bf's. I wonder why that is? I would like to help mom's make a good choice from the beginning.
Because relactation is hard and a lot of people have never heard of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Because relactation is hard and a lot of people have never heard of it.
exactly. because bf is not an ordinary, mundane part of our culture.

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

Old 05-18-2007, 04:17 PM

We formula feed. I had such a small milk supply that despite my best efforts at nursing and pumping my child was literally starving. he still jauncided like a little pumpkin with his backbones poking out at three weeks. The PPD was coming on strong, I cried all day and was truly in the darkest place in my life - I wasn't even a decent enough mother or human being to feed my own child and wanted to die. I would nurse him for an over hour every other hour and he'd still cry. At least knowing I could make a bottle would comfort him and help him grow at least made me feel a little better. The are a lot of 'would of should of could ofs' associated with the situation, but I didn't know what to do and I had to get to place where I didn't want to die so I could actually care for him.

Fast forward and he is 8 months old and doing wonderfully. My PPD is mostly gone yet thinking back to this I am crying as I type this. This is why it stings so much when I read things about formula being poison, mother who FF don't care about the health of their children, don't try hard enough and women generally looking down on other women in a mommier than thou sort of way, like they're not real mothers. And I realise this is a minority of breastfeeding promoters, but you know how it is when you feel sensitive about something? And don't get me started about people who imply that feeling guilty is for people who have something to feel guilty about! The whole job of mothering is a guilt ridden business for a huge amount of women, even if they are fantastic parents!

Why do I come to the lactivist section? Because I support the rights of breastfeeders and their babies. I would happily chain myself to a bench at the mall or outside the state capital with a gaggle of lactivists and their babies. I am enraged by the post of the woman told to go to the bathroom to nurse. I support extended paid maternity leave & mandated areas in businesses for women to pump breastmilk. Even now I would happily let any woman where I work use my office to pump and defend her right to do so. You name a measure that would make breastfeeding easier for women and I am going to be in favour of it.

Help support and encouragement go a lot father than blame, guilt, and smugness! My choice to breastfeed came because of a lovely friend who gently talked to me over the months about what a lovely experience it is and the benefits. I went from a newly pregnant person who wanted nothing to with breastfeeding to a person who thinks it's wonderful thanks to her. If I have another baby I will not be scared of LC's or the LLL!

So to answer the question, I want to live in a world where breastfeeding is the norm and not something that's gasped at in public and on the tv. But I also would like to live in a world where there are no mommy wars!
Old 05-18-2007, 04:29 PM

I think that like anything else there is always going to be someone who gets their undies in a bundle. Like pp have said I can't believe how degrading posters can be toward those who ff for what ever reason. I realize this board is to promote bfing and as a tandem nursing mama I whole heartedly support that, but I do not support bashing others for their "choices"
Old 05-18-2007, 05:29 PM

i honestly have ppl. tell me how gross it is to nip, and i've had ppl. walk away from me when they discover i am nip. i don't do that to ff...

and as far as someone getting their feelings hurt over lactivism...i tend to agree w/the poster who said that THEY must have an issue and are personalizing generalized statements.

i'm so glad that other oppressed ppls haven't sat around and sang kumbaya and whispered silent prayers for their oppressors...we don't have to get nasty, but covering our babes and hiding out in restrooms isn't getting us anywhere as lactivist...

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Old 05-18-2007, 07:29 PM

I know this is a little OT, but....

I honestly doubt there are a lot of women out there that TRULY understood the risks of not breastfeeding, TRULY had support, TRULY were educated about the circumstances that lead to successful breastfeeding, HAD those circumstances and still chose to formula feed. It's society that doesn't value breastfeeding, doesn't create circumstances that promote breastfeeding and moms just get to bear the blame.

The only reason I was successful at breastfeeding was because of this forum, my family's support and history of breastfeeding, my doctor's support and knowledge about breastfeeding, and my hospital being baby-friendly. And we still had loads of problems.

It's true that this is a lactivism forum, but judgement does not equal lactivism. I think a lot of women who feel judged for formula feeding are unfairly judged because, no one can really understand their unique situation. I feel sad for women who feel they have to put a huge disclaimer about their bf circumstances every time they post on MDC.

I too, have felt judgmental when I see people formula-feeding, but I try to remind myself that in our country bottle-feeding really is the norm. Bottles are everywhere. It's the standard baby-marketing graphic. And many woman don't feel comfortable NIP. In fact, I don't even feel that comfortable NIP. I have only ever seen ONE woman NIP. Isn't that sad?

Woman in America are getting major mixed messages, and it certainly isn't our fault.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Fast forward and he is 8 months old and doing wonderfully. My PPD is mostly gone yet thinking back to this I am crying as I type this. This is why it stings so much when I read things about formula being poison, mother who FF don't care about the health of their children, don't try hard enough and women generally looking down on other women in a mommier than thou sort of way, like they're not real mothers. And I realise this is a minority of breastfeeding promoters, but you know how it is when you feel sensitive about something? And don't get me started about people who imply that feeling guilty is for people who have something to feel guilty about! The whole job of mothering is a guilt ridden business for a huge amount of women, even if they are fantastic parents!

Why do I come to the lactivist section? Because I support the rights of breastfeeders and their babies. I would happily chain myself to a bench at the mall or outside the state capital with a gaggle of lactivists and their babies. I am enraged by the post of the woman told to go to the bathroom to nurse. I support extended paid maternity leave & mandated areas in businesses for women to pump breastmilk. Even now I would happily let any woman where I work use my office to pump and defend her right to do so. You name a measure that would make breastfeeding easier for women and I am going to be in favour of it.
WHOA! I could have written this myself!! I also have to laugh when people say, "Oh, they are just guilt ridden". Pfff...whatever. I yelled out loud "YES!" when I read "like they're not real mothers"!! Try being an adoptive mother who also happens to support and defend the rights of bf'ing mothers and their babes and hear such hateful comments. Yes, I totally know what you mean about "being sensitive to something". I would chain myself to a bench right along side of you and I just wish mother's would just cut ff'ing and bottle feeding moms a break. Be a lactivist, but good grief be supportive of *ALL* mothers...not just the ones that feed from a booby.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

Old 05-18-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewp11100 View Post
We (ok many of us) get very offended seeing bottles/formula in entertainment/commercials/kids programming. Are mainstream or FFer's offended by seeing/hearing about/insinuating about bfing in the same circumstances?
I'm sidestepping the whole fascinating and painful discussion about lactivism here, and just responding to the OPs question with a story of my own.

When I was pregnant with now-5yo-DS, I was lucky to be near the only hospital in the entire Midwest that had applied for Baby Friendly status. I took a few of their prenatal classes, including one on the basics of newborn care.

This class didn't really address feeding methods -- there were separate classes for that. This one was mostly about things like diapering and bathing and umbilical cord stumps -- just what to expect and how to do stuff, geared towards the clueless and worried first-time parent crowd. It was not a breastfeeding class.

However, because this was a (soon-to-be) Baby Friendly hospital, all the materials used in the class assumed breastfeeding as the norm and depicted breastfeeding mommas and babies. There were no bottles or artificial nipples portrayed in any of the videos or photography, and certainly no embedded formula advertising.

At the end of the class during the Q&A time, one momma-to-be raised her hand and complained that as someone who was choosing to formula feed, she felt excluded by this class that assumed all babies would be breastfed. She didn't like seeing only images of breastfeeding mommas and babies. She was unhappy about her experience in that class.

I hasten to add that nothing in the class -- none of the materials, nothing the instructor said, and nothing said by any of the other expectant parents -- had criticized or demeaned formula or judged parents who feed their babies formula. She had not been actively insulted or bashed. But she felt ignored, excluded, and perhaps judged just the same.

I don't remember exactly how the instructor responded to that question, although I know she handled it graciously and tried to acknowledge the unhappy mother's reaction. I spoke to the instructor after the class was over and encouraged her -- and the program she represented -- NOT to apologize for presenting breastfeeding as normal. I told her that the Baby Friendly stuff that so irked the other mother was precisely why I had chosen that hospital for my upcoming birth. She seemed to really appreciate my supportive comment, and I suspect it's because, as with most service professions, she mostly heard complaints and not praise.

So -- my guess would be -- YES. Some people do get offended when breastfeeding is depicted as normal by cultural institutions like the media or education.

And my response to this is: Do more lactivism. Be sensitive to the feelings and experiences of others, but never, never, never APOLOGIZE for your vision of a breastfeeding society.

If that unhappy mother had grown up seeing movies, TV shows, magazine covers, and billboards that depicted breastfeeding as a normal part of life, she wouldn't have been offended by seeing it in an infant-care class! She might still have chosen to formula-feed her baby, or she might not. That's not even the point. The point is -- the more NORMAL breastfeeding becomes, the less energy we will all have to waste tiptoe-ing around the feelings of people who are unaccustomed to this kind of discourse, and the more energy we will have to spend on helping mommas and babies actually breastfeed if the mommas are interested in doing that.

OK, I guess I walked into the lactivism debate after all. :
Old 05-18-2007, 09:42 PM

Songbh, I get WIC for my adopted children (because they were former foster children) and I am also one of those mothers that walk into that office and feel like I'm asking for "poison checks". There is absolutely NO support for foster moms or adoptive moms and for the sensitive infertile types like me, it's painful to see pregnant moms, nursing moms, info. about how breastmilk is best. Yeah...thanks for making me feel like a 2nd rate mother, WIC. I get what it's about. Hey, I'm a huge BF'ing advocate! I don't have a vision of a breastfeeding society. I long for a society where EVERY mother is treated as equal regardless of their feeding choices. Go after the formula companies if you want, but I just wish this debate of formula vs. BM would just go away.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

Old 05-18-2007, 09:47 PM

By the way, at WIC just this week, one of the workers there said, "Your children are so beautiful! I remember when our LC was helping you try to nurse with a SNS. How did that go?" When I told her that it didn't go well and I really wish that I could have breastfed my child she said, "Oh, well maybe someday you will have one OF YOUR OWN and you can experience that!" How freakin' rude!! First of all, I just spent $40,000 over 4 years doing IVF. Second of all, I'm a 2nd class mother because my children are not biological and I didn't bf them? Third, my children ARE MY OWN (and I have the legal documents from the court stating so!) WTF??? This is the kind of stuff that really sets me over the edge. It makes me wonder WHY I feel so passionately about BF in the first place!

Old 05-18-2007, 09:58 PM

maybe in a breastfeeding society, you wouldnt go to WIC to receive "poison checks" (not my words).... you would go to WIC to get milk bank vouchers. Wouldnt that be great?

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
Old 05-18-2007, 10:01 PM

Where do get get that people think you are a second class mother?

Her words were not chosen wisely, granted.... but I dont know any lactivist IRL or here that would call ff moms "second class"!

Old 05-19-2007, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom View Post
There's an old saying that offense is taken, not given, so it is wise to practise portion control.
Thank you for that! It's wonderful. . .

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
Old 05-19-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My4Boys View Post
I'm with the posters who are tired of having to apologize for making strong statements on the LACTIVISM board. The assumption seems to be that if a lactivist is venting frustrations or ideological thoughts to another lactivist, then she must also present this strong opinion to others. This is rarely the case! It is, believe it or not, perfectly possible to be a rabid, ranting lactivist here, and a supportive, helpful, caring person in general. Every one needs a safe place to vent!!!
I do think having a "safe space" within your community is important, but I also think that it's smart to remember that there are people looking into different parts of the board to make a decision about where they fit into the community and you'll get more converts with positive talk than with "rabid ranting".
Old 05-19-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbh View Post
I'm sidestepping the whole fascinating and painful discussion about lactivism here, and just responding to the OPs question with a story of my own.

When I was pregnant with now-5yo-DS, I was lucky to be near the only hospital in the entire Midwest that had applied for Baby Friendly status. I took a few of their prenatal classes, including one on the basics of newborn care.

This class didn't really address feeding methods -- there were separate classes for that. This one was mostly about things like diapering and bathing and umbilical cord stumps -- just what to expect and how to do stuff, geared towards the clueless and worried first-time parent crowd. It was not a breastfeeding class.

However, because this was a (soon-to-be) Baby Friendly hospital, all the materials used in the class assumed breastfeeding as the norm and depicted breastfeeding mommas and babies. There were no bottles or artificial nipples portrayed in any of the videos or photography, and certainly no embedded formula advertising.

At the end of the class during the Q&A time, one momma-to-be raised her hand and complained that as someone who was choosing to formula feed, she felt excluded by this class that assumed all babies would be breastfed. She didn't like seeing only images of breastfeeding mommas and babies. She was unhappy about her experience in that class.

I hasten to add that nothing in the class -- none of the materials, nothing the instructor said, and nothing said by any of the other expectant parents -- had criticized or demeaned formula or judged parents who feed their babies formula. She had not been actively insulted or bashed. But she felt ignored, excluded, and perhaps judged just the same.

I don't remember exactly how the instructor responded to that question, although I know she handled it graciously and tried to acknowledge the unhappy mother's reaction. I spoke to the instructor after the class was over and encouraged her -- and the program she represented -- NOT to apologize for presenting breastfeeding as normal. I told her that the Baby Friendly stuff that so irked the other mother was precisely why I had chosen that hospital for my upcoming birth. She seemed to really appreciate my supportive comment, and I suspect it's because, as with most service professions, she mostly heard complaints and not praise.

So -- my guess would be -- YES. Some people do get offended when breastfeeding is depicted as normal by cultural institutions like the media or education.

And my response to this is: Do more lactivism. Be sensitive to the feelings and experiences of others, but never, never, never APOLOGIZE for your vision of a breastfeeding society.

If that unhappy mother had grown up seeing movies, TV shows, magazine covers, and billboards that depicted breastfeeding as a normal part of life, she wouldn't have been offended by seeing it in an infant-care class! She might still have chosen to formula-feed her baby, or she might not. That's not even the point. The point is -- the more NORMAL breastfeeding becomes, the less energy we will all have to waste tiptoe-ing around the feelings of people who are unaccustomed to this kind of discourse, and the more energy we will have to spend on helping mommas and babies actually breastfeed if the mommas are interested in doing that.

OK, I guess I walked into the lactivism debate after all. :
What a great post!
Old 05-19-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissakc View Post
What a great post!
Old 05-19-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
We formula feed. I had such a small milk supply that despite my best efforts at nursing and pumping my child was literally starving. he still jauncided like a little pumpkin with his backbones poking out at three weeks. The PPD was coming on strong, I cried all day and was truly in the darkest place in my life - I wasn't even a decent enough mother or human being to feed my own child and wanted to die. I would nurse him for an over hour every other hour and he'd still cry. At least knowing I could make a bottle would comfort him and help him grow at least made me feel a little better. The are a lot of 'would of should of could ofs' associated with the situation, but I didn't know what to do and I had to get to place where I didn't want to die so I could actually care for him.

Help support and encouragement go a lot father than blame, guilt, and smugness! My choice to breastfeed came because of a lovely friend who gently talked to me over the months about what a lovely experience it is and the benefits. I went from a newly pregnant person who wanted nothing to with breastfeeding to a person who thinks it's wonderful thanks to her. If I have another baby I will not be scared of LC's or the LLL!

So to answer the question, I want to live in a world where breastfeeding is the norm and not something that's gasped at in public and on the tv. But I also would like to live in a world where there are no mommy wars!
I so know where you are coming from.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissakc View Post
What a great post!
And kudos to YOU for having one of my favorite quotes of all time in your sig:

Quote:
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." --Gandhi
Old 05-19-2007, 04:15 AM

I understand that you spent years and lots of money and undoubtedly lots of heartache trying to become pregnant and have a baby.

I understand that you are proud to be a mother through adoption.

I am not sure I understand your statements below about breastfeeding and formula feeding, or about WIC's support or lack of support for you as a mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCFD View Post
Songbh, I get WIC for my adopted children (because they were former foster children) and I am also one of those mothers that walk into that office and feel like I'm asking for "poison checks". There is absolutely NO support for foster moms or adoptive moms ...[snip] Yeah...thanks for making me feel like a 2nd rate mother, WIC.
I'm glad that WIC helps to pay for the food, including formula, that your children need to thrive. It seems to me that this is a very right and just way for a society to support children and families.

But I'm not clear why you "feel like" you're asking for "poison checks" when you walk into the WIC office. Does that feeling come from something in the physical environment of that office, something in the way the people in the office speak or behave to you?

You say that WIC "makes you feel like a 2nd rate mother." How?

You also say that "there is absolutely NO support for foster moms or adoptive moms" What more could WIC do to make you feel more supported, as a foster or adoptive mother?

There's more in your posts that I am curious about, but I'll start with just this part of it. I'll appreciate your thoughtful response and look forward to learning from you.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:21 AM

Interesting post about WIC. I had the total opposite feeling with my oldest. At first, I was so excited, seeing the BFing posters, but the overall experience was really NOT helpful. I was asked at every visit if I needed formula vouchers, given some seriously dirty looks when nursing an older child, and told to give more dairy to my toddler, despite his still-frequent nursing. The default position at WIC is formula feeding, and the BFing posters are often little more than window dressing.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liawbh View Post
Interesting post about WIC. I had the total opposite feeling with my oldest. At first, I was so excited, seeing the BFing posters, but the overall experience was really NOT helpful. I was asked at every visit if I needed formula vouchers, given some seriously dirty looks when nursing an older child, and told to give more dairy to my toddler, despite his still-frequent nursing. The default position at WIC is formula feeding, and the BFing posters are often little more than window dressing.

This has also been my experience. I found them more helpful when I had foster kids in the program.

For my own breastfed child I had to fill out the dietary sheets showing that she drank so many ounces of milk each meal because they did not accept breastmilk as an answer or that I didn't know how much. I just had to give in and play the game. At the time my husband was deployed overseas and I needed the program. Some may not agree but I felt the supplemental food helped me continue to nurse although I know their intent is that the food be fed to the child directly.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:34 PM

It seems as though WIC offices vary widely wrt to breastfeeding support. I know I've read numerous posts that praised WIC as well. I think it depends a lot on the actual people working for the local WIC office. I've heard good things about our local WIC anyway.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Your statement here seems to include MDC on the list that equates to "90% bashers." If I am correct in the way I read this statement, I would love for you to prove, with examples that demonstrate, that an extrememly high percentage of the posts here are about "lactivists bashing formula feeders."
Sorry if I wasn't clear, what I meant was "90% of the bashing [when it occurs] is coming from lactivists; 10% is formula feeders bashing breastfeeders." On MDC I think it's more like 0% formula feeders bashing breastfeeders! Obviously I don't want to raise the percentage of that - I would rather see no bashing of anyone at all. I was responding to a post that implied that breastfeeding moms faced more harassment than formula-feeding moms, which hasn't been my experience (online, anyway).
Old 05-20-2007, 12:46 AM

i question the statistics, but even were that a given, is what somebody says online, usually not even to you but peripherally (in a lactivism forum!) anything like as influential or upsetting as what somebody does to you in the real world?

before you speak, think about it, if you haven't actually been harassed- sure, somene online can put a bee up your arse if you let them, but it's nothing, nothing like having someone single you out and harass & shame you in your face.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear, what I meant was "90% of the bashing [when it occurs] is coming from lactivists; 10% is formula feeders bashing breastfeeders." On MDC I think it's more like 0% formula feeders bashing breastfeeders! Obviously I don't want to raise the percentage of that - I would rather see no bashing of anyone at all. I was responding to a post that implied that breastfeeding moms faced more harassment than formula-feeding moms, which hasn't been my experience (online, anyway).
:

Yeah, Ive had some crazy stuff said to me BY IRL people that was rude, in your face and would have been completely unacceptable if it had been from a bf to a ff. But when it was said to me? I looked around to see if anyone was going to side with me and someone said, "well you DECIDED to whip it out in public... so what did you THINK was gonna happen"

:

I wonder REALLY how many ff moms have to be seriously nauseous about being confronted EVERY time they feed their child outside their home. EVEN in my home, I have been made to feel rotten for bfing. Ive gotten the "you are STILL NURSING!!!" "how LONG are you gonna do THAT!".

""well Im all for bfing, as long as I dont have to see it"

Trust me, I think many ff moms are way more offended and vocal about bfing than there are bfing mamas offended and vocal about ff.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchijen View Post
Trust me, I think many ff moms are way more offended and vocal about bfing than there are bfing mamas offended and vocal about ff.
Well, I was talking about the internet, like I said.

The thing is, it depends SO much on where you live. I have never, ever seen anyone give nasty looks at women NIP. (I've never really NIP myself since we were supplementing anyway - was easier to give a bottle than try to get him to latch in a busy place.) I've seen quite a few women breastfeeding on benches at the mall around here, and never heard anyone comment in any way. I breastfed in front of my MIL, who was obviously embarrassed but just didn't look, and never said a word about it even though she ff'd all her kids from day 1. Another friend of mine nursed her toddler at my house while some of our other (single, male, unused to babies) friends were around, and none of them said anything or acted like they thought it was a problem.

I absolutely believe that things are different where you live. But this is how it is where I live.

The internet is the same way. I saw a forum recently where people were saying the kind of crap you're talking about - "that's gross" or "I can't believe she STILL has that baby hanging off her tit" or worse. But that's the first time I've ever seen anything like that online. In three previous parenting forums I've been on, and a couple of non-parenting forums, the bias is all the other way.

So in terms of what I, personally, have experienced - the negativity is coming almost entirely from "lactivists."
Old 05-20-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
I have never, ever seen anyone give nasty looks at women NIP. (I've never really NIP myself since we were supplementing anyway - was easier to give a bottle than try to get him to latch in a busy place.) I've seen quite a few women breastfeeding on benches at the mall around here, and never heard anyone comment in any way.
I don't think you can speak for moms who NIP if you haven't done so yourself. That's like when my mom, who is white, says racism isn't a big deal anymore. It's wrong, for one thing, but it's also insensitive bc she isn't the one on the receiving end of it.

Just bc you didn't hear anyone say anything to anyone around you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. In my experience it wasn't anything overt. It was dirty looks, shocked and embarrassed faces, or people shaking their heads in disapproval. And I was embarrassed and being discreet. Someone sitting next to me may not have picked up on it, but I sure did.

But my real problem with your argument is that our society is SO supportive of FF and full of obstacles for BF. That's why BFers go on the internet--for the support we can't find in the real world. That's why we have to be lactivists in the first place.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:21 AM

go to a mainstream board. mdc is WAY more bf friendly than most. i call it my 'safe bf haven' b/c i know that there are moms here who are just as passionate and just as AGAINST the use of formula as i am. i don't feel like i'm bashing on ff moms when i say that i dislike formula and i think it is overused and of poor quality. ppl. just read into that what they will...

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Old 05-20-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynthfair View Post
It seems as though WIC offices vary widely wrt to breastfeeding support. I know I've read numerous posts that praised WIC as well. I think it depends a lot on the actual people working for the local WIC office. I've heard good things about our local WIC anyway.
I really love our WIC office. They loaned me a pump when dd was 4 months old when I was trying to relactate, and even gave me a bottle of fenugreek to start. I could call and talk to the lact spec anytime, or come in. Since my daughter is ff and requires a special formula, i've never had a problem with getting it (some wic offices, i've heard really push good start etc)

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2007, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post
go to a mainstream board. mdc is WAY more bf friendly than most. i call it my 'safe bf haven' b/c i know that there are moms here who are just as passionate and just as AGAINST the use of formula as i am. i don't feel like i'm bashing on ff moms when i say that i dislike formula and i think it is overused and of poor quality. ppl. just read into that what they will...
i don't want to go to a mainstream board to be honest btw I have no clue who you are addressing, I didn't read all the pages, just thought I'd be a smart as@. I agree that formula use (as a whole) is overused, over marketed, and is far less heathy that breastmilk.....but due to crappy circumstances, I have to give it to my daughter: : is it possible to be a formula feeding my daughter, and still be a lactivist??, because I encourage breastfeeding.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

User Tag List