Girlfriends Guides to Pregnancy/the First Year - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 45 Old 06-22-2007, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
I think that is the book that also says that you shouldn't exercise during pregnancy because if you have a miscarriage you will never forgive yourself.
Actually, I agree with her on that one. I've had 5 losses, and 3 were before I was diagnosed with a blood disorder. I spent well over a year beating myself up over the things I did that could've contributed to the miscarriages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 06-22-2007, 02:53 PM

Her book depressed me a bit because I certainly wasn't a size six before I got pregnant LOL! I think the whole thing was a bit cheesy and more designed for the ladies that lunch set.
#33 of 45 Old 06-22-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
Actually, I agree with her on that one. I've had 5 losses, and 3 were before I was diagnosed with a blood disorder. I spent well over a year beating myself up over the things I did that could've contributed to the miscarriages.

While I am sorry for your losses, there is a lot of great research out there on the wonderful benefits of exercise during pregnancy. It is horrible to tell moms not to exercise and put them through a possible guilt trip because of it. Especially when the SAME BOOK has tons of bad breastfeeding/dont feel bad if you use formula stuff in it (oh the irony!).

Again, this is not me downplaying your losses or your feelings about them. BUt I feel it is wrong to use scare tactics like that. It's like "If you dont vax and your child dies from a VPD, you won't be able to forgive yourself for it!"

ETA: standard disclaimer applies, you should always check with your doctor before starting any new regime and look for the right programs for your current physical state and abilities.

ETA #2 since I got a Pm about it: Yes, I understand that in the next chpater, she says to moderatly exercise and get outside; however, i don't think that makes up for the fear mongering in the previous chapter, in which the section are titles "you will be too tired" "you will not look good in a leotard" "you will get fatter anyway" "exercise will not help you in labor or delivery in any way" "you might endanger the pregnancy" "even if you dont endanger the pregnancy, if something goes wrong, you will forever wonder if exercising caused it"...etc....

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#34 of 45 Old 06-22-2007, 04:00 PM

I read both of these books and the one on Baby Gear and all of them were terrible. She is very anti-breastfeeding, anti-natural birth, and anti-attachment parenting. The author makes it sound like a baby is going to be a big hassle to deal with.
Her books are just as bad as the "What To Expect" series.

Jessie
(single mommy to Emma, 3 years and Angela, 2 years )

: : : :
#35 of 45 Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 PM

A friend of mine gave the pregnancy one to me telling me it was her favourite book ever while pregnant. I actually found the first part pretty funny (maternity fashions, etc.). Once I got to the parts about birth, bf, etc. I started to find her more and more annoying. I didn't like the "we girlfriends are telling you not to even try giving birth with a midwife or at home, trust us" etc attitude either. I read the whole thing, because I kept thinking it had to be a big joke or something. It's not a book I would ever recommend to anyone, even for laughs.

ETA: Oh wow, I just realized how old this thread is I just dredged up and I have no idea how I even found it! Oops. :

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#36 of 45 Old 10-11-2007, 11:49 PM

I love Baby Matters by Linda F. Palmer, she also has some great articles on her webpage:
http://www.babyreference.com/aboutthebook.htm
#37 of 45 Old 10-12-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondimom728 View Post
I love Baby Matters by Linda F. Palmer, she also has some great articles on her webpage:
http://www.babyreference.com/aboutthebook.htm
Thanks for the link! I just requested the book online at the library!
#38 of 45 Old 10-12-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuansprincess View Post
sounds like some pamphlets need to be slipped into these books on library and bookstore shelves! :
Ooh! That sounds deliciously irreverent...
#39 of 45 Old 10-12-2007, 03:17 PM

I wonder what I would think if I read this book now.... I read it while pregnant and thought it was great. I think a lot of her comments were tongue-in-cheek, and at the time I felt it was just a frank and candid look at pregnancy. Since having DD, I have become a total hippie. So, I wonder... I'll have to read it next time I'm pregnant and see if I can still relate to anything she says.

But even if I think it's too mainstream now, I still think it's largely a humorous book. I didn't take it too seriously.
#40 of 45 Old 10-12-2007, 06:55 PM

I am really surprised to hear this! I have The Girlfriend's Guide to Toddlers and she seems pro-BF and co-sleeping in that book, talking about how other countries all sleep in the same room, so putting baby in a crib down the hall is actually not the norm, and she talks about milk leaking from her breasts and other great nursing stories. How weird that the Pregnancy book is so different! (I hadn't read it, so I didn't know.)
#41 of 45 Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
Basically, I read those books and think "Dang, Jimmy Iovine is just as big a jerk as you would expect him to be."
Or she has a deep, profound hatred for herself and other women.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#42 of 45 Old 10-13-2007, 11:09 AM

Her book was pretty silly but I do have to say her chapter on PPD got me through some really rough times.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#43 of 45 Old 10-13-2007, 05:38 PM

My OB actually suggested this book as reading material when I was pg. I didn't read it though.
#44 of 45 Old 10-13-2007, 09:02 PM

When I was newly and unexpectedly pregnant with my first far from girlfriends and family and stationed in the back woods with only the What to Expect book this was the best book ever.I was puking and puking and no Dr would help me and the What to Expect book just said mild nausea.At least this book made me laugh as I rested on the bathroom floor.I had already made up my mind about some things so it was just another woman's story.It didn't ring as true with all stages of my other pregnancies but it was a different POV.At least she does say try some things.I have never found a use for leggings since I last wore some in 88.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#45 of 45 Old 10-14-2007, 05:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2caroline View Post
i was given the one about buying baby gear... it just listed all this junk that I knew I didn't need. She decided that co-sleepers must not be safe just based on her own opinion. Apparently it didn't influence me... I never bought a crib.
Bah haha..that's hilarious. I recently told a guy from a (mostly male dominated) internet forum that I frequent, that his wife should stop shopping for new baby gear RIGHT NOW. And wait until the baby's born to try it all. Some babies just HATE baby gear all together (more than we imagine, I think...I know mine did). And told him all that money is better spent on a sweet, romantic get-away for the two of them while they still have the time and energy for it.

They both thanked me immensely a month later.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page