Action Needed: Real Simple Magazine Falsely Representing Breastfeeding - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 155 Old 08-28-2003, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am glad to hear that this apparently uninformed editor is getting the GI boot. Good work to everyone who wrote in. Here is my letter:

Kristin Van Ogtrop, Managing Editor
REAL SIMPLE
Time &Life Building
Rockefeller Center
New York, NY 10020-1393

Dear Ms. Van Ogtrop,

RE:“20 Rules to Break Now”

It has recently come to my attention that included in your August 2003 issue is an article entitled “20 Rules to Break Now” in which you advocate formula feeding as the more time-saving alternative for nourishing one’s child. As a breastfeeding mother I can say with complete conviction that this is unequivocally wrong. I am taken aback and saddened that your magazine chose to publish such a near-sighted and inaccurate viewpoint.

I will not go into the plethora of well documented information provided on the health benefits of breastfeeding to both baby and mother by the American Academy of Pediatrics, La Leche League, and the World Health Organization as your magazine is not intended to sell a healthy lifestyle but a simpler lifestyle.

To simply make my point, let us consider both sides of the time consumption question. Here is the scenario: A child cries because he is hungry. Now the breastfed mother merely needs to 1) pick up said child and 2) put him to her breast. Real Simple. The formula feeding mom needs to: 1) boil water to wash and sterilize bottles and nipples; 2) mix proper proportions of formula to bacteria-free water; 3) heat prepared formula to appropriate temperature; 4) finally give bottle to probably already highly stressed child who has now been made to wait for nourishment. Real Simple? It does not seem that way.

Here is my No. 1 rule: I will not waste anymore of my time or money towards your publication in the future. Now that is Real Simple.

Sincerely,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 155 Old 08-28-2003, 04:32 PM

I'm a newbie here; 20 wks PG and fully intending to BF on demand when our little one arrives...

I've subscribed to Real Simple since the beginning, and was FURIOUS when I received the August issue and saw that the editors have deemed BF as a "time-waster."

Here's my letter, which I sent via e-mail:

TO: [email protected]
CC: [email protected]
RE: "20 Time-Wasting Rules to Break Now", Real Simple, August 2003

I have been a subscriber to Real Simple magazine since its inception, and I have consistently been satisfied with the quality of content. Until now.

I had to write to express my great displeasure with your decision to declare breastfeeding a waste of time in the article "20 Time-Wasting Rules to Break Now" as published in your August issue.

As an educated pregnant woman who intends to breastfeed my child, I was shocked by the outrageous, misleading, and false information included in the article.

I can only assume that Dr. Petrikovsky’s false, unscientific claims are an attempt to mollify women who feel guilty for choosing not to breastfeed their children, despite the documented benefits.

Shame on you, Real Simple, for not speaking to a real authority on the subject, such as the American Academy of Pediatrics, La Leche League, or the World Health Organization.

I will not be renewing my subscription to Real Simple magazine.
#93 of 155 Old 08-28-2003, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joyberryjoy
I heard yesterday from a friend of a friend through LLL channels that the editor has been canned. As of two weeks ago Real Simple had received over 20,000 letters and e-mails, and this was apparrently "the last straw" in a string of bad decsions by the editor.

We really made a difference! People from all over were really angry about this.

Joy
AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing the good news! Not that I should delight in some woman losing her job, but really, this article was beyond the pale.

I wonder if they'll have the decency to print a retraction....I'm not holding my breath.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#94 of 155 Old 08-28-2003, 06:00 PM

Forgive my skepticism, but does anyone have any non-grapevine confirmation that the editor has been canned? I couldn't find any on the Internet. And has anyone checked the Sept. issue to see if they printed any letters to the editor?

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#95 of 155 Old 08-28-2003, 06:14 PM

Location: Las Vegas, NV. Originally from California foothills
Here is my letter:
Dear Real Simple and Dr. Petrikovsky,

Typically I love your magazine, with it's inspiring and fresh ideas,stories.

What on earth has possessed you to write, in your Aug. 2003 issue, that not breastfeeding is a way to save time? That is horrible information to pass on to mothers!

Obviously you are not aware of the terrible impacts on our children who should have been but are not breastfed. You don't understand the severity of that which is missed when mothers do not breastfeed.

For millions of years, human beings have survived because of mother's milk. Do you think that we have evolved so fast as to just not need it anymore? The positive biological components of breat feeding is enough to win any case against it.
Consider the psychological effects. Also for millions of years we have survived BECAUSE we have had the protection of being in physical contact with our mothers, parents, or caretakers. Our emotional and mental health deeply depend on this connetiong. And you say, "The biggest downside of not breast-feeding is that the mother misses out on some bonding." SOME BONDING? Read "The Continuum Concept" (Jean Liedloff) or "Attachment Parenting" (Katie Allison Granju). This "Some bonding" is crucial to the development of a healthy person and thus, a healthy society. ALL of the violence in the world has roots which can be attributed to this "some bonding" issue. (Also read works by Alice ******, German psychologist.)
http://www.attachmentparenting.org/

Maybe it is real simple to just skip breastfeeding, but you will have created devastating consequences that are WAY COMPLEX to deal with.

Also, I can't believe a man is giving advice on breastfeeding. I mean, how does he actually know that bottle feeding is simple? It's not. You have buy the formula and the equipment, and prepare it each time, and then deal with a sick, crying baby with indigestion and a weak immune system.

Are these life-long consequences really that "simple"?

Thank you kindly,
Heather
#96 of 155 Old 08-28-2003, 06:16 PM

Here is my letter:

What on earth has possessed you to write, in your Aug. 2003 issue, that not breastfeeding is a way to save time? That is horrible information to pass on to mothers!

Obviously you are not aware of the terrible impacts on our children who should have been but are not breastfed. You don't understand the severity of that which is missed when mothers do not breastfeed.

For millions of years, human beings have survived because of mother's milk. Do you think that we have evolved so fast as to just not need it anymore? The positive biological components of breat feeding is enough to win any case against it.
Consider the psychological effects. Also for millions of years we have survived BECAUSE we have had the protection of being in physical contact with our mothers, parents, or caretakers. Our emotional and mental health deeply depend on this connetiong. And you say, "The biggest downside of not breast-feeding is that the mother misses out on some bonding." SOME BONDING? Read "The Continuum Concept" (Jean Liedloff) or "Attachment Parenting" (Katie Allison Granju). This "Some bonding" is crucial to the development of a healthy person and thus, a healthy society. ALL of the violence in the world has roots which can be attributed to this "some bonding" issue. (Also read works by Alice ******, German psychologist.)

Maybe it is real simple to just skip breastfeeding, but you will have created devastating consequences that are WAY COMPLEX to deal with.

Also, I can't believe a man is giving advice on breastfeeding. I mean, how does he actually know that bottle feeding is simple? It's not. You have buy the formula and the equipment, and prepare it each time, and then deal with a sick, crying baby with indigestion and a weak immune system.

Thank you kindly,
Heather

NOTE: I recieved an email as bounced from the Dr's addy- maybe his email is flooded with your letters!
#97 of 155 Old 08-28-2003, 07:31 PM

Here is my letter!

Thank you kindly,
Heather

NOTE: The message bounced from the Dr's email, I suspect your emails are filling it up!
#98 of 155 Old 08-29-2003, 10:37 AM

Quote:
And has anyone checked the Sept. issue to see if they printed any letters to the editor?
I have my September issue at home, but I don't think there was anything printed re: the BF issue. I'll double-check and post an update/correction (if there is one) when I go home tonight.

My understanding is that they don't really print letters, per se... they do print responses to their "Question of the Month" segment, but I have yet to see any "Letters to the Editor" segments. Again, I'll double check this to provide accurate info.

UPDATE:
Nothing was printed in the September issue, and they used to have a "letters to the editor" segment way back, but it appears that they have dispensed with it... no explanation as to why, however. :
#99 of 155 Old 08-29-2003, 07:34 PM

Hi! I'm new to MDC but have often referred to the articles on the Mothering site. I am happy to join the mamas here!

I, too, heard the rumor that the ed responsible for the article was sacked. I finally got the chance to compare the ppage that lists eds, etc from the July issue with the most recent, September one. (To try and see if this is true).

The rumour may be well founded, as there were some changes. Specifically, Assoc. Editor Tamara Frankfort no longer appears, and Associate Reseach editor Maya Kukes has replaced Lucy Kutulo.

Whatever that is worth, I thought you all might like to know. Also, no retraction was published, and no letters. I do know that they used to have a letters to the editor section, because I just stumbled on a mag from last year. Precisely when or why it was dispensed with, I cannot say.

Anyhow, just FYI.

Thanks!
Tiffany

#100 of 155 Old 08-29-2003, 07:44 PM

I was wondering if people are hearing back from the editors. I think they at least had the sense to stop sending out that ridiculous canned response, because I didn't get anything from them. It does still say on their website that they reply to each letter, so I imagine we'll all hear from them eventually.

As for letters to the editor appearing in this month's issue, that's probably a little quick for it to happen. It will probably be next month at the earliest that they publish any letters, if ever.
#101 of 155 Old 08-29-2003, 07:54 PM

Hi BFmoms!

Boy am I glad to see so many moms writing in! I am so proud of all of us not only for doing the best for our children but saying it basically in the same way. I also copied my letter to several of my friends and family and that caused them to write as well. I also wrote that stupid ob and his employer.

Also a thumbs up to the mom who started boycott real simple. You go girl!

I really do hope that rumor has some teeth to it. She should have been canned a long time ago. Not only are their ideas Real Expensive but Real Stupid. Also she said her kids are self nurtured GIVE me a break! When I saw that canned letter you and so many others received I thought -pull it out of your A__ you know!! I know so many moms who went thru all of that including my best friend and nursed her first for 14 mos and is nursing her second for 10 months so far. She also had to go back to work with the first! These people are looking for excuses

OK off my box,

WarmLLLy
Amy and Liz (GOT MAMA'S MILK)

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#102 of 155 Old 08-30-2003, 11:49 AM

I had just subscribed when the formula hit the fan!
You can bet I ditched 'Real Simple' quickly.
I did receive a sample issue and, not having seen it before was stunned.
It was easily 80% ads for things like Ralph Lauren/Polo clothing, cosmetics, expensive jewelry and other frivolities that have nothing to do with things either Real or Simple.

I'm sticking with Natural Life magazine--which, if you all don't already get, is always AP-friendly and does a lot of articles on 'simple living.'

Here's a link:
http://www.life.ca/nl/index.html

Teresa
#103 of 155 Old 08-30-2003, 04:50 PM

I have to admit that I fired off the hip and sent them a nasty message when I found out about all of this. Thankfully, we have such intelligent and thoughtful women here, who wrote such beautiful letters. I read all those posted here, and was suitably humbled.

My DH was asking me why this got me so hot under the collar. I had to think about it and realized that, beyond the obvious (that it was a stupid thing to publish), it made me feel like they had belittled the effort that I invested in my daughter by breastfeeding her. I had a hard time starting out nursing, and it was eight weeks (and one SUBURB lactation counselor) before we were really on track. I went back to work full-time at 6 mos, put in the effort to pump, so we wouldn't have to supplement with formula. My daughter self-weaned at 121/2 mos (independant little firecracker that she is), and I cried for a week afterward, because I wasn't ready to give it up. And these people would say that I wasted my time. That's just offensive; and not just to me. To all of us who have done the same, or even more!!!

My daughter has had ONE illness in her life (26mos next week)!!!! Thank you, breastmilk!!! She and I are very close, and always have been, even though I work full-time, and sometimes more. Thank you, breastfeeding!!!! I believe to this day that we formed an unbreakable bond during that time, and it had affected our relationship ever since. No formula in the world, no bottle in the world, can promise you that. I learned more about being an attached mommy in that period than I ever would have if I had used formula.

I know that these benefits are mostly things you can't measure or can't see immediately. But sometimes the best things in life are. You can quantify love, you can't measure happiness with a microscope. These things just are; and to blow them off as benefits because they can't be measured is just ignorant.

I feel a little better. Thank you all for letting me vent.

-Melissa

Melissa Andrew dd1 dd2 dd3 and
#104 of 155 Old 08-30-2003, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just backtracked through this thread to see the canned response letter Real Simple sent out.

Can they not see how profoundly insulting their suggestion that dismissing the benefits of breastfeeding will somehow assuage the guilt felt by moms who cannot overcome their particular obstacles?

They are suggesting that we women should be LIED TO rather than face the facts and consequences of our decisions. If a woman tries and cannot, then at least she tried. To go by their article and their lame justification, no one should even try!

Theirs is the attitude that we should just be patted on the head and take our medicine, trust that doc, don't ask for explanation.....

It may be more simple to live in such a mindless manner, but it's also Real Stupid.

"What will you do once you know?"
#105 of 155 Old 09-02-2003, 05:08 PM

Interesting information... a poster on the ovusoft.com BF forum found another e-mail address for this doctor;

[email protected]

AND, It seems that he is a consultant for Enfamil. Hmmmm... surprised? Shouldn't be. :

http://www.geocities.com/gremarly/petrikovsky.html

FWIW, I set a return receipt request on my e-mail when I sent it:

Quote:
Your message

To: Letters - Real Simple <[email protected]>
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: "20 Time-Wasting Rules to Break Now", Real Simple, August
Sent: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:32:33 -0400

was read on Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:22:38 -0400
So someone is reading them... whether it's a writer or an intern or a janitor, who knows...:
#106 of 155 Old 09-02-2003, 05:52 PM

Thanks for letting us know that, Reagan. It's good to know that someone is reading them (at least they read yours anyway!). I wish I'd thought of doing that I've been wondering if anyone ever read my letter. I would be so mad if I spent all of that time writing and researching for nothing!

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#107 of 155 Old 09-02-2003, 07:18 PM

dont count on them reading the whole letter though.. all it takes is the first sentence most of the time to see what the subject is...

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#108 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 12:06 PM

Okay, here's a fun thing to do...Real Simple's site is asking readers "in their own words" what their best timesaving tip for the holidays is.
I went to the link and typed in "BREASTFEEDING!"
Hee, hee.
C'mon, it only takes a sec, and hey, its funny.
http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple...16464,,00.html
Peace, Y'all.
Cyn
Edited 'cause I had to figure out the hyperlink.
#109 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 12:28 PM

I just did it. You're right, it IS fun!
#110 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 12:46 PM

I posted : "Do not waste your time during the holiday making meals and snacks that are too time consuming. For example- think soups, fruit and breads - all of which are very portable as well. A crockpot of warm soup and veggies and some salads are easy for almost any guest to enjoy and will last for days. For on the go ease and nutrition breastfeed your baby and young child despite what Real Simple magazine calls a waste of time!"
#111 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 12:54 PM

Don't waste time sterilizing nipples, scrubbing bottles with bottle-brushes, boiling water, mixing formula, heating bottles, and rushing out to the store to buy cans of formula to feed your infant. Instead, pop the boob in the mouth and away you go!

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#112 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 01:49 PM

I also posted that nursing was a major time saver and that it also provided incredible relaxing time during such a busy day.

but then I saw this

Quote:
When you submit "your words" to RealSimple.com, you give us the right to modify, use, distribute, reproduce, electronically publish and display the content in all media, means and forms without any payment to you. You hereby represent that you haven't copied the content from a book, magazine, newspaper, or other commercial source.
I am not liking the whole "modify" thing...
#113 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
I did it too. I'm not worried about the "modify" thing. Real Simple already thinks they can print whatever trash they want. This is a fun way to remind them that we're still here...wainting for a retraction!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#114 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 02:45 PM

I did it too. But I forgot to copy it until after I sent it, so I won't post it here. Basically, I said that breastfeeding saves me all the time that is wasted with bottlefeeding (washing, preparing, etc.). I also said that wearing a baby in a sling is a timesaver, since he/she is happy to ride along and watch what you're doing instead of needing your undivided attention.

I'm still waiting for a response from them from my letter. I'm starting to get annoyed! Although I guess it's better to get nothing than to get that horrible form letter they were sending out.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#115 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 02:54 PM

Boy this was fun:

When you're in the middle of a batch of holiday cookies or candy, and your baby starts agitating for a snack, don't run around setting up the high chair, mixing the formula, washing nipples, or heating the bottle--put the baby in a sling & breastfeed on the go! Or better yet, use it as an excuse to sit down and take a break from all the things you "have" to do. You're still saving time by feeding your baby, bonding with her, and taking a rest all at once.
#116 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 03:16 PM

What fun! Love the responses....I have no expectation that any of these will be printed, but it gives 'em something worthwhile to read, huh?

Anybody happen to have the current "secret code" from the back of the mag? Without it, only subcribers can access the website, and I already tossed my subscription!

Thanks!

Sarah

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#117 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 03:18 PM

that sounds like fun, LOL

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#118 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 03:30 PM

Me too!

I wrote: "Ignore inaccurate information from so-called 'health care professionals' who have financial interests in imitation-breastmilk manufacturers. Breastfeed!"
#119 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 03:43 PM

Sarah, I'm not a current subscriber, either, but the link that katencyn posted allowed me to submit a comment. Try it!

Christie

#120 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 04:50 PM

Not entirely originally (thanks, MDC mommas for your ideas!):

Breastfeeding instead of bottlefeeding can save lots of time around the holidays (and year-round). It also allows you to do two things at once if your child is in a sling. Cook that holiday meal or write out holiday cards, all while breastfeeding. Happy holidays.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page