Action Needed: Real Simple Magazine Falsely Representing Breastfeeding - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, Christie! I was able to post something....also not totally original (I actually cut&pasted part of what dubylyu wrote--hope that's okay! )

"You can easily save time (not to mention money, natural resources, the environment, your health, and your sanity!) during the holidays or any other time by simply breastfeeding your child!

While others are wasting their precious time sterilizing nipples, scrubbing bottles with bottle-brushes, boiling water, mixing formula, heating bottles, and rushing out to the store to buy cans of formula to feed their infants (not to mention waiting--sometimes hours--in the doctor's office, since it is a well-researched fact that formula-fed children are far more sickly than breastfed children!), you can remain calm and collected, knowing that you are providing truly healthy nutrition and comfort for your child.

Incidentally, a happy, healthy child will do much to ease the stress of the holidays!"

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#122 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 04:01 PM

Here's mine!

Breastfeed your baby in a sling! When you have all those holiday errands to run it sure makes it easier if your baby is right next to you, happily nursing instead of riding in a stroller, crying because they're hungry and you forgot the bottles and formula.

Do you think they'll get the message if enough of us do this??
#123 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 04:11 PM

Unfortunately, probably the biggest message we're sending is that there are a lot of big-mouth opinionated breastfeeders out there who won't let anything go.

Oh friggin' well!

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#124 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 04:27 PM

[QUOTE]
Unfortunately, probably the biggest message we're sending is that there are a lot of big-mouth opinionated breastfeeders out there who won't let anything go.

And that we have a lot of time on our hands -- because we're breastfeeding, maybe??

Anyway, has anyone seen the latest post on the other thread about this? Someone posted an excerpt from the latest issue. A pretty lame attempt at rectifying the situation . I think I may have to write them another letter.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#125 of 155 Old 09-03-2003, 11:18 PM

FYI, the code for this month, to access the website, is

CLOSET

Post away!
#126 of 155 Old 09-04-2003, 01:00 AM

That was so therapeutic! Here's mine:

My breast - pardon me, I mean best - timesaving holiday tip is to breastfeed my child any time he needs it, anywhere we are. While we're out holiday shopping, if he's hungry, no need to drop what I'm doing and take him to the food court - I just nurse him! While I'm shopping online, if he fusses, I click and nurse at the same time! And, of course, since my breastfed baby is never sick, I don't spend the holidays at the pediatrician's office.

ETA: ya know, if they ask for simplifying, time-saving tips every month, we could mess with them for a reeeealllly long time....bwahahahaha

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#127 of 155 Old 09-04-2003, 07:36 AM

MamaTT posted:

CLOSET

Oh, so THAT's where they think nursing mamas belong!

:

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#128 of 155 Old 09-04-2003, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Momtwice
MamaTT posted:

CLOSET

Oh, so THAT's where they think nursing mamas belong!

:
Lord, that would be one crowded closet!
#129 of 155 Old 09-04-2003, 03:59 PM

So glad to see so many rockin' mommas using the web to spread good BF vibes!
Isn't it fun??
When I think about how beautful and nourishing breastfeeding is for body and soul, I can't imagine how it could EVER be considered
a waste of time.
And furthermore, I think its really irresponsible to tell someone who has to give up BF for whatever reason that they have 'wasted their time'. ( this is the way I took their reply letter) The time we spend trying to do what's best for our kids is NEVER a waste of time, right? Even when it doesn't work out.
Oy, I'm mad all over again!
Must...let...gooooooo.
Ok, there.
Breathing in with love...out with peas.
Pax,
Cyn
#130 of 155 Old 09-04-2003, 06:25 PM

Here's what I sent - I went for the sweet, cheesy reply. :-)

When we are running around shopping, visiting friends and relatives, the best timesaving trick I have is breastfeeding my toddler. It is just so easy to go about town doing whatever needs doing, just grab some diapers and wipes, maybe a toy or two, and we're out and about - easy as pie! I can't tell you how many times we've passed a flustered mama in a crowded mall trying to get the bottle of formula ready while her baby gets fussier and fussier - what a hassle when there are so many other things to be doing this busy time of year!

Poor RS, I bet they are being flooded with this wonderful timesaving tip. Atleast they know we are out here, maybe someday Americans will evolve back to what nature intended!

Rachel, married to Andy, mama to Aubrey, Lauren, Sasha, and *surprise* Baby #4, due November, 2011
#131 of 155 Old 09-05-2003, 11:59 PM

The October 2003 issue has an update on page 45. It reads:

Real Simple received a great number of passionate letters and e-mails about the breastfeeding item in "What's the Worst Thing That Could Happen If You . . ." [August]. For a sampling, go to www.realsimple.com

Off to see which letters they posted.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#132 of 155 Old 09-06-2003, 12:03 AM

Well, so far nothing. Hopefully they will update the website shortly.

Tanya
#133 of 155 Old 09-06-2003, 08:31 AM

The website says it (the web site, that is) is only available to Real Simple subscribers (as if!) and AOL users (as if!)

What, are they TRYING to keep customers away?

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#134 of 155 Old 09-06-2003, 09:23 AM

hey i just found this thread. i am glad i am not alone.
i came across it and called and cancelled my subscription last month. I explained to the man why I was cancelling my subscription and that i was deeply offended. I also said that it was inane for RS to even opine about breasfeeding and that I am sad to cancel b/c I loved the mag, which i did, but that i was too insulted to keep the subscription.

He was sincerely apologetic.

I then wrote a letter.
#135 of 155 Old 09-06-2003, 10:07 AM

And I just now visited the website and sent an e-mail.
They better not send me a form reply.

I mean do they think we are idiots? Probably. Arrogant people just can't say..."I was wrong and I am sorry" That, ladies, would have been "real simple." The man aligns himself with Mead-Johnson and we can't figure that one out?

blah!

#136 of 155 Old 09-07-2003, 11:02 PM

For those of you who tried to sign in at Real Simple and couldn't, try this code--

EASYROOM

which is the code for the Sept. edition. They haven't yet updated for the Oct. ed, when I checked last (for which the code is CLOSET)

Sorry if that was confusing!

I called and cancelled today, too. I made sure that they understood that I, also, was too insulted to keep the mag, even though I generally enjoy it. And that I would not be renewing my two gift subscriptions. The woman whom I spoke with let me know that the comments are passed on to the higher ups, and offered the address for me to write a letter if I wished. I told her I already had, and that I was waiting to see how the mag responded before cancelling. I told her their response was unsatisfactory and I therefore was cancelling.

I mean, if they can publish a correction about the designer of a pair of pants, they can certainly print one regarding an important health issue.

Now I can use my refund to get a different subscription. Any suggestions for a good substitute?
#137 of 155 Old 09-07-2003, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Now I can use my refund to get a different subscription. Any suggestions for a good substitute?
Do you already get Mothering???
#138 of 155 Old 09-08-2003, 07:34 PM

Gimme a break . . .

they posted some letters on the website

bet that is not representative of the letters they actually received

grrr

Tanya
#139 of 155 Old 09-09-2003, 12:16 AM

THAT"S IT???

If I could cancel again, I would!!!
#140 of 155 Old 09-09-2003, 12:34 AM

Yeah, lame responses from a lame magazine.
And wow, do you think their shirts turned inside out from the wind created by all that backpedaling?:
I was thinking of setting up a folding chair outside their offices and breastfeeding my daughter, but hey, I tend to go for the extreme, and I could go shoe shopping instead.

Peace to all!
Cyn
#141 of 155 Old 09-09-2003, 02:33 AM

Where is the office? A NURSE OUT!!!!!

Ha, wouldn't they flip?! Couldn't dismiss us then.
#142 of 155 Old 09-09-2003, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I love that idea! Perhaps local LLLI or API groups would be willing to coordinate something. Below is the only address available at the web site, but it is just Time Inc's customer service center . Obviously the target of choice would be Real Simple's central offices. Anyone have a copy of that rag on hand to check it out?

"Special Note for Parents
The site you are visiting is one of the Time Inc. general audience sites. For more information about our online privacy practices for children's sites, consult the privacy notice at the children's site in which you are interested.

How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or concerns about the Time Inc. online policy for this site or its implementation please contact us via email by clicking here or at the following address:

Time Customer Service
Attention: Consumer Affairs
3000 University Center Drive
Tampa, Florida 33612-6408 "
#143 of 155 Old 09-09-2003, 06:32 PM

Real Simple Magazine
Time & Life Building
Rm 41-50B
1271 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020
#144 of 155 Old 09-09-2003, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

My computer has been out of commision for awhile but I just breezed through a couple of pages of replies and I don't think anyone has leafed page by page through the October issue yet. I did, while breastfeeding, to look for any references.

Well, there is a tiny mention of irate letters with a reference to their website to read a sampling regarding their breastfeeding mention. There is also a focus article on a mother M.D. who clearly states "breastfeeding" as the number one thing parents can do to provide for their child's health. And she lists reasons.

Too small a step so I've cancelled my subscription too. It will not go into effect, though, for two more months so I'll post any future breastfeeding references in the magazine through the Dec issue.
#145 of 155 Old 09-10-2003, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well I finally wrote them too. I'd been holding off since I rarely get this magazine off the shelf.

Quote:
As someone who occasionally picks up your magazine I've been following this controversy about the "What's the worse thing that could happen..." article with interest.

You see, the truth is that the best thing that can happen when a mom doesn't breastfeed is nothing. I'll even go so far as to say that that may be what happens a decent percentage of the time.

But you claim that the worst that can happen is nothing, a flat out lie considering that illnesses both minor and serious can result from not breastfeeding or being breastfed and that the very worst that can and does happen is death from SIDS or cancer or allergic reaction etc. A bare minimum of basic research turns up these facts within minutes.

You then claim in your response that this article was written to assuage the bad feelings of moms who couldn't nurse.

Does the staff at Real Simple really think we are so simple-minded that LIES are preferable to TRUTH?

If you were facing an important medical decision, would you truly prefer the doctor to tell you comfortable lies instead of the truth? Why in the world do you think we women, when facing the decision on how to feed our babies, prefer pretty lies to hard fact? I for one would be suing any doctor who lied to me about a medical issue, thus denying me my right to make a fully informed decision. Information about breastfeeding is no different. By printing lies you deny women their right to make a fully informed decision. By lying and then defending that lie with another lie, you profoundly insult our intelligence as adult human beings.

my name
my town, state

"What will you do once you know?"
#146 of 155 Old 09-10-2003, 02:47 PM

duplicate post
#147 of 155 Old 09-10-2003, 02:55 PM

Well, I decided to wait and see what Real Simple's response would be before I decided to cancel my subscription... and I'm unhappy with the way that they handled the issue, so I cancelled my subscription from their Web site this afternoon.

I quoted the letter I wrote to the editors, and then included this:
Quote:
In reading the Editors' responses on the Web site, I was very unhappy to see that they disregarded a great majority of the letters, calls and e-mails that they have received regarding this issue.

It makes no sense to me as to why they discuss breastfeeding in an article describing "time-wasting habits to break," yet turn around and say, "in no way are we suggesting that breast-feeding is a waste of time."

I have always liked this magazine and looked forward to receiving it every month. However, with so many articles dedicated to ultra-expensive clothing and people who own large farms or islands... I do not feel that Real Simple truly reflects the type of life that I strive to live.
I think I'll take that $20 per year and put it towards a magazine that does reflect my lifestyle goals... MOTHERING!
#148 of 155 Old 09-11-2003, 07:04 PM

Well, that is not quite right, because I know for a fact that in formulas is MSG what is a neurotoxin and a lot of mothers are not aware of this.
#149 of 155 Old 09-13-2003, 01:47 AM

Can someone with a subscription post whatever subscriber code it is we need to access the site, if that's possible? They've made their site subscription only. If not, could you tell us what's online about this issue?

TIA!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#150 of 155 Old 09-15-2003, 04:54 PM

here's my letter. i had to wait to cool off before i wrote! sooo infuriating!!
Breastfeeding my baby has been the greatest 'waste of time' I spend several times a day and night. Sometimes I get so hurried in my day I actually wake the baby myself so I can waste some more time nursing and nurturing her.
Shame on you for de-valuing our efforts as Mothers in nourishing and nurturing our children.
Maybe next time you can do an article on the time you save going to the Doctor/pharmacy for re-current colds and illness and allergies that women who breastfeed their children may experience.
There is nothing simpler than the pure food and love that a Mom and baby share when they have a nursing experience. For you to depict this act of sustenance & love as a waste of time is the epitome of absurdity.
Sincerely,
not quite as eloquent as some of your letters but hopefully it will get read. we'll see what kind of response i get. i'm proud of all us for being so proactive! we really do make a difference~in a big and many varied way!: pat on the back

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page