What's the problem with a cover?? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you want to cover, go for it. But personally I find it to be way too much of a hassle - I breastfeed because its NOT a hassle, and I'm not about to make it any more problematic for myself and my DS just to appease those who don't like it. If you don't like me nursing, you can go away, you can go hide in the bathroom or throw a blanket over YOUR head. I'm not about to throw a blanket over MY head or my babies - he likes to look around, and if htat means you see a bit of my booby every now and then cause' your staring, well, then thats your fault. You shouldn't stare!!
#92 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 12:15 PM

1) I didn't want to tote around a towel, blanket, etc. Too much of a hassle
2) I felt a cover would draw even more attention. To me (just *to me*) it looks silly to see a blanket draped over a mom and her baby. Like...what is going on in there??? Whereas when a mom is BF without a cover, I can't even tell whether the baby is just sleeping or nursing. I'd have to really look, LOL.
3) It was my understanding that research pointed out the benefits of eye contact between a mother and BF baby...that BF facilitated healthy eyesight, helping judge distance... and by rotating from right to left breast it was good exercise for the eye muscles, etc.

My DD self-weaned around age 4. I nursed her in church when she was a baby/tot and when she got to the point where she was lifting up my shirt, I would take her out and nurse her somewhere in private. I am of the opinion that if a baby/tot is easily distracted by other things, then nursing isn't that important to them at that moment. When my DD needed to nurse, she needed it, but, of course, that's just my experience.
#93 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdlelou View Post
See this is where lactivism gets a bad wrap. This is where lactivism becomes unsupportive. ... We should be proud and support all women whole heartedly who breastfeed peroid!!

The OP didn't ask for support. She was asking for people's real opinions. IMO those are two different discussions.
#94 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Just adding my two cents.

I assume that you have never had a baby that refused to be covered while breastfeeding. From Day One, if I attempted to cover my baby while breastfeeding, she

(1) Became overheated;

(2) Immediately unlatched, and getting her latched required a lot of exposure, removal of the blanket, and an awkward manupulation of my arms and hands;

(3) Cried and refused to nurse;

and finally,

(4) As soon as she was able to (maybe 2 mos?), she would simply pull or push off any cover I attempted to put over her.

Also, why should either of us miss out on arguably one of the best parts of BF - looking into each others' eyes? I sometimes wonder if this was part of my baby's refusal to be covered. She wanted to look at me while she nursed.

Covering up was always impossible, because the baby refused. I thought that was perfectly reasonable, since I don't want to eat my lunch under a hot, dark, stuffy blanket or cover, either.

I'm a pretty modest person and I would turn away from crowds and attempt to make myself comfortable in such a way that little breast would be showing. But if my dd pulls off the nipple, there may be a little flash. There is nothing wrong with that.

For women who want to cover up and their babies don't mind, I have no problem with it. But yes, covering up is a problem for me and my baby, and I won't do it and don't feel obligated to do it - for anyone.
#95 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 02:07 PM

Sometimes I think hard core Lactivism does more harm than good. As another poster said, the objective is to get moms nursing when their child needs it. My goal with NIP is to nourish my child. Secondary to that, is giving an encouraging example to women who may not have thought NIP was for them.

When you live in a modest community and you decide to be the one radical showing all your boob it is off putting. That young mom-to be may likely say - woah, Im never going to be one of those women. I am trying to win people over to the breastfeeding side, not enforce my right to nurse as openly as possible.

That said, I dont use a cover and I rarely have special nursing wear. I just nurse as modestly as the circumstances allow. At the pool, in my onepiece, I drape the solarveil sling over my boob, not covering the baby. I keep in my purse a lightweight hankie (dont carry a diaper bag) and do that same, Just drape it over my boob and not on the baby. If I have a Tshirt loose enough I accomodate that around my body to cover my sides. If the circumstances didnt allow any modesty then, yeah, I would let it all hang out. But in all things I try to be considerate to those around me without violating my principles.

I have a problem with lactivists who deliberately nurse as blatantly as possible, and have that very IN YOUR FACE style just for the sake of it. I think it pushes people away. And yes, I care about what people think, after all people are the ones choosing formula or breastfeeding.
#96 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I didn't direct the comment at anyone. It's simply my personal feelings on the matter.

-Angela

I am sensitive to this subject since my dd demands having her face covered. She does not like being looked at and I have never been able to gaze into her big blue eyes while she nursed.: I was approached at the mall a couple of months ago by a woman who came over just to say that it was a shame that I was covering my dd and that nursing covers were just silly. I tried to explain that I have a super sensitive toddler and I had to cover up, but she acted like she didn't believe me.
I am sorry I misread your post. I read it as saying "all nursing covers are absurd", not "it would be absurd for me personally to use a nursing cover" which isn't offensive at all.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#97 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyshoegirl View Post
You wouldn't want my daughter, then. She's HATED being worn (and I've tried the wrap, the ring sling, the pouch sling and the mei tei both front and back) since about 13 months. I have to carry her on my right hip or let her walk or she'll throw a fit. And yes, we keep re-trying. We're taking a family trip to Hawaii in a few weeks and I'm dreading hiking. And when the bean arrives, I think we'll be forced to use the stroller for the older one while I sling the little one.
Mine was the same - hated the stroller (the few times we tried) the whole first year and loved the sling, the Bjorn, the Ergo... then began hating them after just a year old. I think she wanted more freedom to move around. She liked walking best, but she also liked the novelty of riding in the shopping cart and for some reason began to request the stroller over the carriers... I guess since she could still move her legs and arms really well, although I always had her strapped in. My peeve with strollers is when moms have toddlers in them, won't buckle them in, and then threaten them when they keep standing up or trying to climb out. Just buckle them in!! I hope they wouldn't do the same in a carseat - "Just sit down in your seat or you'll get a whoopin'!"

Okay, sorry for the way OT mini-rant...

My thoughts on covers... like most, i agree that nobody should imply that mothers need to use them when NIP, but that if the mother truly feels more comfortable using one, then she should... especially when she feels uncomfy about the tummy exposure! It really seems like more people don't want to show their flab than their breasts due to modesty .

I think the two-shirt system is great for those who want to use it (and should have employed it more often) - on cold days, you don't have freezing air across your belly/lower back, and you still don't have to remember to carry a cover or blanket... and it's still less obvious than a cover or blanket, yet a little skin may show at latch on or across the top of the breast. And isn't the layered look still "fashionable?" I ask because I am not too fashion-oriented .

The only reason I'd think that there was a real problem with using a cover of some sort is if the mother forgot it and was so self-conscious that she just couldn't nurse her baby who was getting more and more upset... even then, I don't put all the blame on her because those feelings were implanted in her mind by society from a young age, most likely!
#98 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostAPpropriate View Post
I have a problem with lactivists who deliberately nurse as blatantly as possible, and have that very IN YOUR FACE style just for the sake of it. I think it pushes people away. And yes, I care about what people think, after all people are the ones choosing formula or breastfeeding.
I have a problem with anyone who "has a problem" with how another mom nurses.

Like a cover? Use one. Like a hankie? (never heard THAT before...) whatever floats your boat. Want to take both boobs out- that's your choice.

-Angela
#99 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post
I am sensitive to this subject since my dd demands having her face covered. She does not like being looked at and I have never been able to gaze into her big blue eyes while she nursed.: I was approached at the mall a couple of months ago by a woman who came over just to say that it was a shame that I was covering my dd and that nursing covers were just silly. I tried to explain that I have a super sensitive toddler and I had to cover up, but she acted like she didn't believe me.
And the problem here isn't the cover, it's the person who couldn't mind her own business and saw fit to give you her unsolicited opinion. I would find this every bit as offensive as someone asking me to cover up or nurse in the bathroom.
#100 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaNY View Post
Ok so am I wrong for having my two shirt get up?? I dunno I mean I walk around stores etc NIP, but I just don't feel comfortable having my boob all out there. I feel very strongly about BFing, but I would be just as happy and proud to see tons of moms bfing with a cover than bottle-feeding (not including some women who HAVE to Bottle feed). A bottle is NOT a part of your body. I'm sorry, it's just not the same thing. IMHO.

Some covers are really pretty and are made so you still have eye to eye contact with your babe. They actually call attention to BFing and so isn't that a good thing?? Isn't that enough?? I feel kind of offended here. I NIP ALL the time but b/c I sometimes choose to use a cover or blanket, my efforts are scoffed at b/c I am "making it seem dirty". I don't think that's a fair accusation.

I'm wrong for BFing and now I am wrong for covering up. Damned if I do. Damned if I don't. As long as my DS is happy, that's all I care.

Sorry guys, I support getting the word out there AND supporting BFing moms ALL the way. Even if that means covering up for some moms. Just my 2 cents.
I have no problem with women covering themselves because they are more comfortable that way.

I have a HUGE problem with women being told they have to cover up. Especially because it's usually done in an aggressive and confrontational manner - having blankets literally tossed at them as though they were doing something disgusting and dirty.

And FWIW, when mothers who choose to cover or choose to remove themselves to a secluded spot get all holier-than-thou, like they're better moms than the women who NIP without covers, well, that really chaps my hide. (Not saying you're doing this - but I have seen a lot of it lately, and it's a real sore spot.)
#101 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I did wonder what would happen if I turned the tables, flagged a security guard, pointed and said loudly, "That man is staring at my breasts and he is making me REALLY feel uncomfortable. Could you please ask him to stop?"
#102 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 04:15 PM

IMO, do whatever's comfortable to you. As long as your breastfeeding, I don't care how you do it.
#103 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I did wonder what would happen if I turned the tables, flagged a security guard, pointed and said loudly, "That man is staring at my breasts and he is making me REALLY feel uncomfortable. Could you please ask him to stop?"

My feelings on this subject are mixed. I bf all the time, but normally do it in my sling.... so unfortunately most people don't get boob shots (joke, people). My sil MUST use a cover. I mean, we went to a jazz concert in the park one day and she had her mom stand in front of her, shielding her from view with a large throw sized blanket while she got the babe latched and got herself a smaller blanket over her shoulder. BUT SHE IS BREASTFEEDING. I think it's sad that she had to go through that ordeal but it made her comfortable. Comfy mom=longer breastfeeding so if she needed me to hold the blanket I would have been right there doing it. Cheerfully.

So I don't want anyone to tell me I have to cover or uncover. I may strike up a conversation with a covered mom and expound on the benefits of my sling.... but not to get them to nurse uncovered, but because I feel bwing needs to be brought to the mainstream!: (and because I love to see babies and talk to their mommies!)

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

#104 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostAPpropriate View Post
Sometimes I think hard core Lactivism does more harm than good. As another poster said, the objective is to get moms nursing when their child needs it. My goal with NIP is to nourish my child. Secondary to that, is giving an encouraging example to women who may not have thought NIP was for them.

When you live in a modest community and you decide to be the one radical showing all your boob it is off putting. That young mom-to be may likely say - woah, Im never going to be one of those women. I am trying to win people over to the breastfeeding side, not enforce my right to nurse as openly as possible.

That said, I dont use a cover and I rarely have special nursing wear. I just nurse as modestly as the circumstances allow. At the pool, in my onepiece, I drape the solarveil sling over my boob, not covering the baby. I keep in my purse a lightweight hankie (dont carry a diaper bag) and do that same, Just drape it over my boob and not on the baby. If I have a Tshirt loose enough I accomodate that around my body to cover my sides. If the circumstances didnt allow any modesty then, yeah, I would let it all hang out. But in all things I try to be considerate to those around me without violating my principles.

With all do respect, I have some big problems with this post. What is "hard core lactivism"? It it theory or behavior? And those "lactivists who deliberately nurse as blatantly as possible, and have that very IN YOUR FACE style just for the sake of it." I read about these mythical creatures all the time. Who are they? Where do they hang out? I have never met one and I spend a whole lot of time around lactivists. Not changing the way I nursed in public may have had a political component, but I nursed the way I did because it was the way both my kids and I were most comfortable. When I first nip I was very self-conscious (had never seen anyone do it) and I tried a cover. But my son absolutely would not nurse with his head covered. By the time I had three kids and was tandem nursing, public breastfeeding was for survival and I did it in the way that made it easiest for me and the nurslings.

Everyone should feel free to nurse in the way they feel most comfortable, I will absolutely not condemn that. My decision not to cover had nothing to do with the message I would send. Whether to respect the dominent "morality" of your community is an absolutely personal decision. I have traveled to places where I knew the sight of my wrists and ankles was morally offensive and I covered up out of respect for the rules of their community (none of these places would have batted an eye had I breastfed). However, when I am in my community I have an equal right to decide what is acceptable. As long as I am within the law (and occasionally when I am not), I will do what I think is right. Sacrificing the needs of your child to oblige what you perceive to be the social norms in your community, helps no one. Segregation made some people more comfortable. Should we not have passed laws against it? Social change comes about, in part, by making people question what they believe is appropriate.

Covering up was never an option for me and would not have kept anyone from knowing what I was doing anyway. One of my kids sucked so loudly, with slurpy, piggy sounds, that I couldn't have hidden it from anyone even if they never saw any bit of my skin. All of my kids ended nursing sessions with a loud pop off the breast and a loud, "ahhhh!" It never failed to make people laugh. Nursing was rapturous for my kids and I think seeing that might have educated a lot of people about what a great thing it is. At least I never got a negative remark about it. Only supportive or bemused smiles.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
#105 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajake View Post
Everyone should feel free to nurse in the way they feel most comfortable, I will absolutely not condemn that. My decision not to cover had nothing to do with the message I would send. Whether to respect the dominent "morality" of your community is an absolutely personal decision. I have traveled to places where I knew the sight of my wrists and ankles was morally offensive and I covered up out of respect for the rules of their community (none of these places would have batted an eye had I breastfed). However, when I am in my community I have an equal right to decide what is acceptable. As long as I am within the law (and occasionally when I am not), I will do what I think is right. Sacrificing the needs of your child to oblige what you perceive to be the social norms in your community, helps no one. Segregation made some people more comfortable. Should we not have passed laws against it? Social change comes about, in part, by making people question what they believe is appropriate.
:
#106 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 07:31 PM

I see nothing wrong with covering up. I am currently BF my son, and have never felt embarrased about NIP, but I am always modest and cover up. I could go on and on about this subject...
#107 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 07:42 PM

I think I'm modest, and I never cover.

Such is life.
#108 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 08:07 PM

I was thinking about this today, as we breastfed *uncovered* at the pool. Okay, okay, there was no one else there. But, if I could figure out a way that it was just my boob that was showing, I'd be all about nursing uncovered. Is there something out there than can just let your boob out of your shirt? I don't like the idea of coming out of the top of my shirt, cause that shows so much of my chest, and I'm absolutely, 100%, not going to show off love handles. Just not going to. But, is there a way to get just your boob out there to nurse? A little nipple showing would be fine. I'm just concerned about covering the other skin.
#109 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
I think I'm modest, and I never cover.

Such is life.

I agree totally. I meet my definition of modesty and I have never and will never cover up. The day when I need to worry about some strangers sense of modesty or definition of discreet is the day I will be shut in my house too paralyzed to go anywhere since there is a chance I could offend anyone no matter what it is I do, or don't do.
#110 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I was thinking about this today, as we breastfed *uncovered* at the pool. Okay, okay, there was no one else there. But, if I could figure out a way that it was just my boob that was showing, I'd be all about nursing uncovered. Is there something out there than can just let your boob out of your shirt? I don't like the idea of coming out of the top of my shirt, cause that shows so much of my chest, and I'm absolutely, 100%, not going to show off love handles. Just not going to. But, is there a way to get just your boob out there to nurse? A little nipple showing would be fine. I'm just concerned about covering the other skin.
When I'm feeling self-conscious, I wear a tank top under my shirt (I like the Old Navy ones with a shelf bra and adjustable straps -- I just adjust the straps to the loosest setting, so that the tank top is low). Then I pull my shirt up and my tank top down. My boob tends to hang out a lot, because my daughter plays peekaboo with my shirt, but my stretch-marked belly doesn't show. Which is good, because I'm all bloated from being pregnant, and it looks weird.
#111 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 PM

If you came to the UK you would see that the cover/no cover issue has absolutely no effect on women choosing to breastfeed or not because covers are not widely available here.

Women choose to breastfeed fro many reasons and also choose not to breastfeed outside their homes for many reasons but I doubt that mass imoport of covers to the UK would have any effect whatsoever on breastfeeding rates.

From afar, I think that the discretion, modesty and covering issues are a distraction from the real issue of poor breastfeeding rates which is more to do with society's contorted expectations of women and babies which make feeding a child as he or she needs something which does not fit and is seen as inappropriate or too hard.

Our world has gone mad and it makes me sad to think that the only way a woman can feel comfortable to feed her child is to cover herself. That says more about society than it does about her.
#112 of 112 Old 08-01-2007, 08:55 PM

Well, with my second son he was very distractable and if he was not covered up he would pop off every two seconds to look around and would take 200 years to nurse. But honestly, its that rebellious part of me that refuses to ever cover with my toddler and infant sons now. Growing up I saw only one peron nurse, my own mother feeding my brother. She was locked in her bedroom with a blanket covering him and reacted embarassed when iA walked in. (I was 9) Until I began to feel comfy with it after having my 2nd son I really felt it was embarrassing to let anyone see. Now, I want to be sure I am sending teh exact opposite message to future mums everywhere. Just last month my mom asked why I did not cover up, that it was rude to possibly floash my step dad or some other man. I told her they shouldn't be looking too hard and ought to be polite and that I was intentionally being very careful to be discreet with how I nursed. No one ever sees anything and many people have told me they did not even know I was nursing right in front of them. Thatis what I want, for it to be as nonchalant and normal to see as popping a bottle in a mouth of a babe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page