Jury Duty-Postponed!!!TThree Cheers for the Mass Jury Com. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 08-19-2007, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Jury commissioner allowed me to postpone my date of service past the one year mark. Originally I was scheduled for last January ds was only four months. When I called them they said we will postpone you until November, but just calling us if you are still bfing and we will see if we can switch it. I knew ds would still be bfing in November. So I received my card again last week and the changed me October!! Argh. I called them immediately and the man on the phone was awesome. He allowed me to postpone it until June 2008. And he moved to the town over and to a district court. Originally I was scheduled for Superior court. I am so relieved. Ds will probably just be nursing less so it will be easier. I will miss him. We have never been apart. (post Nicu). Three cheers for the Mass Jury Commisioner!!!!

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-19-2007, 03:01 PM

That's awesome. It's nice to hear about those in power not abusing said power. Yay!

LP
#3 of 9 Old 08-19-2007, 03:52 PM

That's great! I got called for jury duty a couple of months ago and when I mentioned I was still breastfeeding, I was completely excused. They said they always excused moms who were breastfeeding.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus

#4 of 9 Old 08-19-2007, 06:52 PM

Same experience here...first when I was tandem nursing toddlers, they post-poned me for 1 year....then I had a newborn, and I was switched to the court in the same town so I went down there and the woman said, "well, I'm only supposed to give you a year, but I'm writing down 3 years! Get out of this disgusting courthouse and take that beautiful baby home!"

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#5 of 9 Old 08-20-2007, 04:47 AM

I was recently called for Grand Jury duty and when I called the courthouse to be excused, based on my stay-at-home breastfeeding status to my 3 year old, I was pleasantly surprised to hear "no problem". The woman didn't even seem shocked by this little revelation on my part, and usually people go white in my small town over the 3 year old breastfeeding thing. Sometimes I hate to love the gov.
#6 of 9 Old 08-20-2007, 04:15 PM

wow i'm impressed! I actually just went to jury duty in mass (but thankfully didnt get picked) 2 weeks ago. DD is 26 months and is nursing, i didnt for a second think that this would be allowed - i guess i should have tried! I'll remember that for next time! Who knows she may still be nursing in 3 years! lol
#7 of 9 Old 08-20-2007, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Awesome!!! I didn't have to postpone mine, I just sent in the thing saying I couldn't go and they never bothered me again. I'm sure I'll get another one at some time, although DS is 20 months now so I doubt they'd let me get out of it even if he is nursing then.

- E . Single mom to DS 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 E (15.12.05), 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 T (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD 

A (11.02.11) and 
 Hoppy

#8 of 9 Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 PM

Glad to hear it, and thanks in advance for doing jury duty (when you are able). It's such an important service.
#9 of 9 Old 08-20-2007, 07:14 PM

Good to know. I just got my notice in MA and postponed until next year when DD will (I hope) be nursing less. I moved here from VA, where being the primary caregiver for a child under 10 automatically grts you excused.

Oddly in the 22 years since I've been eligible to serve, I was never called until I was 7 mos pregnant (but had just moved away) and now nursing. I would really have loved to do it when I worked; figures!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page