#91 of 150 Old 08-30-2007, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjb View Post
Here is his response:
"I am calling with the corporate response you requested - and the corporate
response to the breastfeeding in Lexington, Kentucky is that Applebee's and its franchisees love having families dine together at our restaurants. We believe that this francihisee made a reasonable and lawful request of this guest in order to promote a pleasant and comfortable experience for all of its guests."
Oh, it's on.
#92 of 150 Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 PM

The baby in the resturant was the only one getting real food...someone has to make that statement.
#93 of 150 Old 08-30-2007, 11:37 PM

laughup
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
The baby in the resturant was the only one getting real food...someone has to make that statement.
#94 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
That's so true.
#95 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 01:21 AM

Applebee's International is HERE! Where I live!!
Quote:
"I am calling with the corporate response you requested - and the corporate
response to the breastfeeding in Lexington, Kentucky is that Applebee's and its franchisees love having families dine together at our restaurants. We believe that this francihisee made a reasonable and lawful request of this guest in order to promote a pleasant and comfortable experience for all of its guests."

He then left his number and invited me to call him back if I have any further
questions. Here is the number he left: 913-967-2923.
I realized it when I saw this is a KS phone number. It was the Applebee's head corporate office that told you this, not the Thomas & King franchise?

I think we could manage to stop by the corporate office if they are supporting Mr. Scanlon. But they wouldn't be there on a Saturday...what do you all think?
#96 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 01:23 AM

Because what they did was NOT a lawful request, was it? How can they interpret the law if it says a mother has a right to breastfeed where she has a right to be?
I totally support Brooke and am disgusted by Applebee's, but did they ever tell her she couldn't feed or that she needed to leave? Did they ever break the law?
#97 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 01:51 AM

Alrighty...here's what I emailed to Crapplebee's:

As a breastfeeding mother, I am appalled at the actions of this Applebee's manager in response to a nursing mother in the restaurant. You can bet I will never set foot in an Applebee's again, and I'll be sure to relay the story to EVERY SINGLE NURSING MOTHER I know, which is a pretty extensive group here in Louisville, where I live.

Breasts are not primarily sexual organs, certainly no more so than say, hands or mouths. Breasts don't grow on womens' chests to sell cars, or beer, or to drum up interest for pro sports; and anyone with a brain could see that you'll find much more exposed breast flesh on a magazine rack at the Kroger checkout than when a mother nurses her baby. It is ridiculous for the manager to have suggested that he would begin keeping blankets on hand for nursing mothers to cover up with. For one, most babies hate it, as it becomes uncomfortably hot. Do you know of anyone that enjoys eating their meals under a blanket? Secondly, there isn't anything sexual or inappropriate about breastfeeding, and anyone who feels differently needs to deal with their own hang-ups about the human body. Furthermore, it's against the law to harass nursing mothers. This kind of ignorance is exactly why mothers have resorted to carrying around copies of the law!

Breastmilk is what babies are SUPPOSED to be eating, not some other mammal's milk or a powdered substitute from a for-profit company - although I'm sure no one has ever harassed a mother for bottle-feeding her infant in an Applebee's.

I certainly hope action will be taken to educate Applebee's staff so that in the future, no mother will ever have to leave the building, embarrassed, to nurse her baby in the car during 90+ degree weather. Shame on you, Applebee's.

In truth I'm not currently nursing, but I have and will again. I have spread the word to my local homeschool loops and I think I have a couple mamas coming with me to the nurse in. My idea for signs is to get a picture of a nursing mama blown up, and a few choice magazine covers from the local grocery, and a statement about where you see more boob. Something along those lines. And a 'BF is not a Crime' tee for me and DD. This really gets my blood boiling...what a bunch of morons.

As an aside, does anyone think there is a connection between harassment and weight? It seems to me that heavier moms (like myself) are more likely to get harassed than average or thin moms. Is NIP more palatable for the stupid if you're "hotter"?
#98 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
No kidding! This will be my first Applebee's trip in many years...I hate chains.
#99 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 02:08 AM

I'm sorry if someone already posted this. The nurse in has gone national. Please use this yahoo group to sign up your local group. All will be coordinated through here!
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/bwb_lactivist/join
This is being sponsored by Birth Without Boundaries International. Here we go girls.
#100 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 AM

i read this and HAD to post, (i did not breastfeed my son (wasnt educated and had NO Support, i did what "everyone else was doing") i am sorry that i didnt and when I have another i WILL breastfeed...) I am outraged about this! it made my head spin. i am soooo PROUD of all the ladies on here that are educating the world about breatfeeding! breastfeeding seems so "natural" to me now. I have learned so much from this board! i *HOPE* that when i breastfeed, i dont encounter ignorance like that.
#101 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 11:21 AM

Ok, I have had enough replies that I'm confident that we can get a real event organized. It will be at Noon on 9/8 at the Applebees on Route 2 in Warwick. If you are going to (try to?) attend please PM me with your e-mail address so I can keep everyone up tp date on number of people attending or changes in plans.

Thanks!
Julie

Julie, proud graduate of the AOW 3 year program in the study of boobology . Me : + DH : = Super Bubba !
#102 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 11:51 AM

Hi - I'm the one who posted the official corporate response from Applebee's. Yup, it was from the corporate headquarters itself, from the "International Guest Relations Manager." He also clearly stated that this was indeed the "corporate response."
So, re-post as needed.
#103 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 12:05 PM

Why aren't people posting in their tribal areas? Just curious because I'm sure more people would see it there. This thread is getting hard to read with everyone trying to organize and locate people here.
#104 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 12:18 PM

I just emailed everyone on the Thomas and King contact page. We'll see if anyone gets back with me, though I have a feeling not. And I hope it's because they are getting flooded with emails from all of us.

Now, I'm off to email everyone in my address book asking them to boycott Applebee's.
#105 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjb View Post
Hi - I'm the one who posted the official corporate response from Applebee's. Yup, it was from the corporate headquarters itself, from the "International Guest Relations Manager." He also clearly stated that this was indeed the "corporate response."
So, re-post as needed.
I emailed Applebees too and was told that *some* are owned by Applebees Int and others are franchised. Should we find out which is the case for the one where nurse ins are planned or does it not matter now?

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#106 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 12:21 PM

Any suggestions as to what to write on signs for the nurse-out?

(I'm very close and planning to go next week.)
#107 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethsmommy View Post
i read this and HAD to post, (i did not breastfeed my son (wasnt educated and had NO Support, i did what "everyone else was doing") i am sorry that i didnt and when I have another i WILL breastfeed...) I am outraged about this! it made my head spin. i am soooo PROUD of all the ladies on here that are educating the world about breatfeeding! breastfeeding seems so "natural" to me now. I have learned so much from this board! i *HOPE* that when i breastfeed, i dont encounter ignorance like that.

Welcome!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#108 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 PM

I went ahead and wrote Applebees corporate offices too. Not that I am interested in what they have to say, but they should know there are a lot of us out here who will not be eating at their establishments (not that we ate their much before). Their "corporate response" is ridiculous and backing this Scanlon guy is really unacceptable.

Here is what I wrote:

I am writing in response to your corporate response to the breastfeeding incident at your Kentucky Applebees. I would have thought this Kentucky breastfeeding incident as one bad apple at Applebees, but after seeing you back this illegal and discriminatory act, I am astonished. The very fact you are backing up this franchisee is astonishing. Did you actually see Mr. Scanlon's statement? As a mother and consumer I find it hard to believe that one would think that this breastfeeding mother had an agenda because she had a copy of Kentucky law with her. Don't you get it? It is because of people like your manager that she has to carry a copy of the law with her! I always considered Applebees a family establishment, is it not? Is it only for people without children? Maybe just bottle fed children?

You need a corporate policy change and training for all of your managers and franchise owners. Please consider educating yourselves as well , the very fact the patron was asked to nurse under a blanket is ridiculous (you wouldn't ask any other patron to put a blanket over their head to eat). Your corporation would do well to look at the facts about breastfeeding and why it is the healthiest way for a child under 2 (and beyond) to get proper nutrition. I would think harassment of any patron at your establishment would be grounds for retraining at the least. And as far as another patron being offended, too bad, state law trumps them being offended. Obviously the manager should have informed the complaining patron that asking the mother to cover up or stop was ILLEGAL (not to mention just plain wrong), once he was informed of the law. I find people who eat with their elbows on the table offensive, will the manager go ask them to stop or should I just look away?

As a family of five we will be going out to dinner Friday night (which one child will be ordering off the overpriced children's menu, one child will have an entrée and one child will nurse), we will be going somewhere that appreciates our family's business. We will not be patronizing your establishments until this mother is apologized to and your corporation educates your employees and franchise owners.

I am sure you don't intend for your patrons to leave your establishment in tears and humiliated as this mother did. Please do the right thing. And tell your franchise owners that you are a family establishment, all family members are welcome.
#109 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandynee22 View Post
I emailed Applebees too and was told that *some* are owned by Applebees Int and others are franchised. Should we find out which is the case for the one where nurse ins are planned or does it not matter now?
I am wondering the same thing? Are all Applebee's restaurants targeted even if they are under different ownership than where the incident took place? Maybe I will call a few of my local ones to see what their response is....there are 18 listed on their website as near me, though. :

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#110 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 12:57 PM

Okay, I just talked to one manager and she gave me the corporate number and said that they are going with whatever the corporate response is.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#111 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestabeth View Post
I am wondering the same thing? Are all Applebee's restaurants targeted even if they are under different ownership than where the incident took place? Maybe I will call a few of my local ones to see what their response is....there are 18 listed on their website as near me, though. :
That's what I did. The one closest (N Dartmouth, MA) is owned by Applebees Int and the second closest (Raynham) is a "corporation" whatever that means LOL

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#112 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 01:03 PM

I just finished a long phone call with the man who left me a message yesterday. His name is correctly spelled (my mistake yesterday, taking it from verbal message on my phone) - Alex Bresette. His is working on an UPDATED corporate response to this issue. He is a very reasonable guy. PLEASE do not leave him personally insulting messages, folks. He is not personally responsible for the corporate response. Also, he gave me a number that can be used more efficiently should you wish to leave comments, which is toll free: 1-888-592-7753. His phone is flooded, understandably, and I said I'd make an effort to re-direct calls so that he may accomplish some work today. I urged him to rethink the corporate response, in terms of a policy statement, and to also respond to the violation of Kentucky state law which occurred in this incident. For the record, Kentucky law states "No person shall interfere with a mother breastfeeding her child in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be."
---
More info to follow, as soon as I get in touch with BWB organizer.
Thanks,mmjb
#113 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 01:11 PM

#114 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 01:59 PM

I called and registered my complaint. I told them the two local locations I frequent, and that Applebee's is my 4.5 y/o daughter's favorite restaurant. I asked them to come out with a public statement that they will welcome breastfeeding babies and their mothers in their restaurants and they and their franchisees will comply with local laws in the future.

I then explained that if they do not, when my daughter asks to go there again, I'll have to explain to her that Applebee's doesn't like babies drinking mommy milk, and we can't go there anymore. I know she'll understand. She'll prob start telling everyone else about it too! :

Frankly, I've never had a problem at either of my local Applebees. In fact, the one was the first restaurant where I ever took my DD, and the first place I NIP. In that same restaurant, I've nursed DS no less than half a dozen times, one time in which he was popping on and off and making a general spectacle of himself while he was nursing. No one ever said a word.

Since I've had such positive experiences there, I'm thinking of dropping off a letter to the restaurant managers at each location, thanking them for their past support of my nursing, but advising them that I can not in good concience continue to patronize their restaurant until I have a satisfactory response from corporate headquarters. I just don't know about doing a nurse-out there when I've had servers stare me right in the eye while I'm clearly nursing my baby and not give me a bit of trouble.

I shudder to think that my branches could be owned by the same franchisee as the KY location, since they're in PA, but I don't know how to find out other than call and ask.
#115 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestabeth View Post
ALL Applebee's rely on the name and national reputation to get customers in the door. In light of this I don't think any branch should be excluded from boycotts or nurse-outs.

BTW I'm planning a nurse-out for the Chatsworth, CA location (LA/San Fernando Valley) We're posted on the BWB Lactavist group database.
#116 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmarie View Post
Any suggestions as to what to write on signs for the nurse-out?

(I'm very close and planning to go next week.)
Well their slogan is "Eatin' good in the neighborhood." Wonder what we could do with that...

Partner to DH geek.gif and Former WOHM, now SAHM dizzy.gif to Sensory & ADHD DD (9), with DD (4) and DS (2)nocirc.gif winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

#117 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How about a sad crying baby and the words "Guess who's NOT eatin' good in the neighborhood? APPLEBEES DISCRIMINATES AGAINST BREASTFEEDING BABIES!"

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#118 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 03:42 PM

Or a happy breastfeeding picture with the words "Eatin' good in my neighborhood!"

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#119 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 03:43 PM

Or a breastfeeding baby girl and the words "Neighborhood bra and girl!"

#120 of 150 Old 08-31-2007, 03:44 PM

Or a nursing baby with the words "I'll take mine bra-side to go, please!"

Sorry, I should probably put these all in one post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page