BF'ing not "appropriate" at the gym? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 201 Old 07-25-2003, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Joy,

In a way, this is such good news. In another way, it shouldn't even be an issue .

You sound like it is all under control and your going to get your way (make em eat their words ). But...if you ever need a nurse in, I could use the drive and I am always up for a little healthy rebellion.

Good for you!

Jenny
#62 of 201 Old 07-25-2003, 10:57 PM

Congrats. I still think you should get on the news for this. What those people did is wrong and I hope the Health people follow through and summons them if necessary.

Why I left NJ in a nutshell. It's the only place I ever really felt weird BFing in public.

Denny
#63 of 201 Old 07-26-2003, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I suspect their biggest mistake was misrepresenting the law while invoking the Health Department to support their lie. State departments of whatever don't take kindly to that kind of nonsense.

Somewhere along the line the concept that "ignorance of the law is no excuse" came into being. As management it is their job to know the laws and to follow them.

"What will you do once you know?"
#64 of 201 Old 07-26-2003, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
please keep us updated!

and can you pass along the info about the CA mom? i'm in CA and i'd love to help if i can. i have a HUGE community of bfing moms that i am a part of out here in the central valley, CA. we've recently gotten all up in arms over a recent john rosemund anti-cosleeping article in our local paper that we are working to get this ass out of our paper.

anyhoo...i want to know what happens!

tina
mommy to maeven, 2.5yrs
www.fresnofamily.com
www.nanasrealm.com
#65 of 201 Old 07-26-2003, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

#66 of 201 Old 07-26-2003, 02:05 PM

on the news here! I am so happy that mamas are not taking this lying down! These people just pi$$ me off! They are supposed to be a place that promote health and they are just idiots....
#67 of 201 Old 07-26-2003, 02:07 PM

i'm only a few hours from elkgrove...but i guess this happened in laguna...anyway, how do you get in touch with the woman or attorney? the article didn't even have a journalist contact. i'd like to lend my support.

tina
#68 of 201 Old 07-26-2003, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

She belongs to babycenter and you can email her through there. Just clik on her name when it is underlined at the top. (I don't really feel all that comfy giving her email out right here)

http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/bbsh.../280088?i=0#go
#69 of 201 Old 07-26-2003, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
This is because of you AOL thanks for your fight!!! Please, I'm not trying to take over your thread...this happened a long time ago to me but you make me wish I had followed through. Good luck to you and if you need any help (not that I can do much) please ask!

I sent this e-mail to Americawest because you have made me want to join you in ending this shi!t! (Can I say that?)

Dear Customer Relations Representative,

Back in 2002 I issued a complaint about being told that I could not breastfeed my daughter on an America West flight. I received and apology from one of your representatives and was sent a small gift, which was not completely satisfactory but, admittedly, it was better than nothing. What I actually wanted was to be told what you were doing within your company to be sure that this sort of thing didn’t happen again. I am still wondering this and would love to hear that you have changed you policy and that your employees have been instructed about laws protecting a and a woman’s right to breastfeed her child. I am still flying frequently in the US and always hesitate before buying and Americawest flight, even when your prices are the lowest. I would fly Americawest again if I knew you had taken this issue seriously and had actively changed your policy.
Anyway, I came across this article that I thought you would be interested in. I’m sure that you don’t have the worst record concerning breastfeeding law violations but I thought that this article would prompt you to take action incase you have not changed your policy.
http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/2357103/detail.html
If you can’t open the link, the article is about a woman in California who is bringing a lawsuit against a large corporation because she was told she could not breastfeed in their facilities.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#70 of 201 Old 07-26-2003, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DH just came up with another aspect of this to consider.

Since they are attempting to designate a restroom as an eating area, has the restroom passed the inspections required in your state to qualify as a public eating facility????

I think the Department of Health would have jurisdiction, at least here in PA that's who inspects restaurants.

"What will you do once you know?"
#71 of 201 Old 07-26-2003, 09:28 PM

good point meiri

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#72 of 201 Old 07-27-2003, 01:39 PM

OOOOOOOooooooooo, Meiri, that's a great point.

So ANY time a bfing mom is asked to bf in the bathroom, you can say,

"Is your restroom inspected and certified by the Department of Health as an eating facility?"

and if they give you crap you can reply, "Oh, then I'll call the Heath Department inspector and ask that they do a full inspection of your bathrooms."

When i worked in a restaurant this was the LAST thing any manager wanted. It was such a headache and they ALWAYS find violations.
#73 of 201 Old 07-27-2003, 04:08 PM

AOL...I would IMMEDIATELY send a copy of the letter you gave to the manager to the owners of the gym. They are TOTALLY OUT OF LINE to post that notice. I would also let the manager know that if they DO NOT remove the notice, they are subject to a lawsuit.

Good luck! I'm gonna watch this thread for sure (even though I live in California). Breastfeeding in public is not illegal in any state as far as I know.

^^Liss
#74 of 201 Old 08-16-2003, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

I have great news!!!!!!

A couple weeks ago we had a mudslide on our street. I was silly enough to go out and videotape it while it was happening. Well, the media decided it was a good story so they came out and asked to use my tape. Now, even though I was dying from some hongkongfooey flu with a 104 temp, I still managed to think clear enough to get contact info for all the reporters.

A couple days later, I contacted one reporter via email with my bf'ing story. The station called back saying they wanted an "exclusive" interview! Immediately I got a lawyer (funny, it was impossible to get one before the media was interested ). Then I called the other reporters and all of them want the story. So many people are interested that my lawyer has decided to hold a press conference!

I'm so freakin excited!!!!!!!

So it looks like we are suing their ass and giving them plenty of neg attention. God I love revenge

BTW, they never apologized, even after 2 letters and local and county authorities telling them they were wrong. Also, they are trying to kick me out by creating a policy that anyone with more than one child can no longer use the nursery.
#75 of 201 Old 08-16-2003, 04:13 AM

Don't stop til you own the joint! They are BEGGING for it!
#76 of 201 Old 08-16-2003, 08:13 AM

Thats so great! I'm really excited, and will be watching for you in the news! Woo-hoo!

Quote:
Originally posted by aolwife

Also, they are trying to kick me out by creating a policy that anyone with more than one child can no longer use the nursery.
OMG! This is crazy. WTF? This is NOT a child-friendly gym. How the hell could they do this?
#77 of 201 Old 08-16-2003, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

I need help difusing any possible argument the press may have about my case.

Can you mommas think of some nasty attacks I might get and the perfect comebacks?

The woman in CA got some really mean emails about her case from the public and I would like to stay one step ahead this time.
#78 of 201 Old 08-16-2003, 06:56 PM

AOLwife-

somehow do not let your e-mail addy get out, that would help a lot. But, if it does, just immed. delete the ones who get nasty, you do NOT need to read their stupid opinions!! You could probably tell from the first few words if they are nasty or not.

If you have to respond, respond with the 'kill 'em with kindness' mentality as your written words could always come back to haunt you and it won't make you feel better. Come across as the intelligent, good mother, not like the dumb idiot who wrote you!!

I am so proud to *know* you, I wish I could see all this on TV in my city!!!!
#79 of 201 Old 08-16-2003, 07:36 PM

Let us know how it turns out!!!
#80 of 201 Old 08-16-2003, 10:09 PM

WAY TO GO!!! I am so happy that this is getting media attention Your "health" club deserves to be exposed for the anti-breastfeeding place that it is. Keep up the good work!

I'm so proud of you

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#81 of 201 Old 08-16-2003, 11:00 PM

aolwife, I just wanna say THANK YOU for doing all this. It's a great opportunity to show that ignorant gym they can't mess with mammas feeding their babies. I hope it's a good warning to others too. And don't worry about nasty emails - there's bound to be people 'offended' by breasts - who cares, so long as they learn that BF moms have rights.
#82 of 201 Old 08-17-2003, 03:17 AM

This is awesome aolwife! You go girl! And I will be sending out a letter to the gym within a day or two here. By the way, could you give us the names of managers and owners so we may include these in our letters if we wish?

Sierra

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#83 of 201 Old 08-17-2003, 03:48 AM

i read all of this thread at the edge of my seat...i CANNOT wait to hear what has happened! goodie goodie goodie! my thanks to you as well AOLWIFE! hooray!
#84 of 201 Old 08-17-2003, 05:05 AM

AOLwife--
do you realize what a gift you're giving to the rest of us? what you're doing is SO important and i think it's so cool that you're doing it so joyously! keep on at it!!

#85 of 201 Old 08-17-2003, 11:39 AM

AOlWIFE,
I am sitting here with goosebumps!! You ROCK!

Quote:
Can you mommas think of some nasty attacks I might get and the perfect comebacks?
The one I can think of that has been used is this:

The gym is not a public facility as you must pay to become part of it's "public". It is my understanding that "public" refers to a place in which ANY woman can be. Such as a restaurant, park, shopping mall. Since you must pay to enter it is not seen as public.

I would think they might use the, "if you don't like it, leave" arguement. In which you can reply, sure, give me a refund or you'll leave when your membership expires.

I wish I could think of some replies to my first arguement, but I am blank right now. You can bet I'll be thinking hard on it, and perhaps see if there is any info online

Best of luck to you!!!
#86 of 201 Old 08-17-2003, 12:03 PM

Ok now they have just PROVED that they are COMPLETELY insane and I hope this works in your favor. No more than one child in the nursery? So now they want to alienate all the breastfeeding moms AND all the formula feeding moms? Why don't they just put up a "no moms allowed" sign?

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#87 of 201 Old 08-17-2003, 03:34 PM

I can't wait to hear how this turns out. If you have any links to your news stories, please post them!
#88 of 201 Old 08-17-2003, 04:26 PM

Twenty years ago I was told to leave Jack Lalanne's health spa because children were not allowed there at all. I was simply nursing my six month old in the lounge area after my Auntie had been walking her in her stroller at a park nearby.

The manager was very rude. He told me this was not the place for that "kind of thing". I am glad the chain is now out of business. They stunk.
#89 of 201 Old 08-19-2003, 08:07 AM

i am north of the 49th parallel, so i may not see any news coverage of your plight/fight.

thank-you *so* much for undertaking this on behalf of all the bf moms and children.

and please, keep us updated, i just *have* to know how it all turns out.

wishing you every success in our shared cause.
#90 of 201 Old 08-19-2003, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Wow - I can't believe the responses I never thought people would thank me for doing this. I am so very touched (and I never use those soppy words so you know it must be true)

Sierra - The Manager Names are Jane Goldberg (the offender) Jay Rhee and James something, darnit i forgot. Can i call them later and post it?

Potty Diva - I already have the law on my side for your first argument. Since they offer memberships to the public, technically they are a public facility.

I am going to explain that I am not out to promote bf'ing or to "make" any woman bf. My goal is to change the public view of bf'ing. It is not something disgusting or shameful. It is the best thing we can do for our children, esp faced with current health problems that have reached epidemic proportions such as obesity, diabetes, asthma and ear infections. It needs to be supported not shunned.

But if they ask "what's wrong with going somewhere private out of consideration of others who feel uncomfortable?" I don't know what to say. Not that I don't know what to say, but that I don't know how to be tactful about it. I would want to say something like "it's not my problem that doing something natural and good for both myself and my baby makes others uncomfortable" or "is it right to ask a minority to hide because there natural being makes some people uncomfortable?"
BUT
I think that's a little rude.

You guys have anything? I could just say that it is segregation and it's illegal. Would that work?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page