Harvard med student breastfeeding mom sues the national licening board - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 431 Old 09-26-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadee View Post
I hope that you are right and that my fear that it will just cause more people to think breastfeeding women are unreasonable zealots and dismiss the cause out of hand is unfounded and misplaced.
I understand your fear, and I do think that's its very important to think of all the possible repercussions of an action.

However, just for the sake of analogy...

In the 50s and 60s people had a similar fear about African-Americans demanding equal rights, for instance. Many people, including other African-Americans, though MLK, Jr. and other civil rights activists were pushing too hard, that they were being unreasonable for asking for so much and that they should either accept the status quo or settle for small changes over long periods of time.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the same thing, but its just something to think about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 431 Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 AM

"Life is not a game of rugby. We don't need to 'compete' at all.

This kind of machismo, testosterone driven spin on who is best suited to provide care for people is exactly what is wrong with our medical system in the first place."

We definitely do need to compete where the issue is scoring X points on a particular test. Unless you are suggesting that grades and testing for entry in the medical profession is unncessary?
#423 of 431 Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 AM
J2

I haven't read this entire thread but that you all would like to know that the Mom wins and is allowed extra time!

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/t...926-1465109411
#424 of 431 Old 09-27-2007, 11:17 AM

I only caught the news promo but isn't the National Board of Medical Examiners appealing?

Not that it bothers me, but if she still hasn't sat for the exam doesn't this give her extra time to study?

~Cath
#425 of 431 Old 09-27-2007, 12:16 PM
J2

It isn't about studying or having enough time ot take the test. But about being able to pump AND eat AND got to the bathroom during breaks.
#426 of 431 Old 09-27-2007, 01:19 PM

I was very happy to read the judge's comments, specifically:

Quote:
Judge Katzmann said refusing to allow additional time meant that Ms. Currier must choose to either “use her break time to incompletely express breast milk and ignore her bodily functions, or abdicate her decision to express breast milk, resulting in significant pain.”

“Under either avenue,” he wrote, Ms. Currier “is placed at significant disadvantage in comparison to her peers.”

Additional time does not give her an unfair advantage, he found, because answers cannot be changed after the student leaves the exam room.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/ed...am.html?ref=us

I hope she's able to study and take the test without worrying about the board's appeal.
#427 of 431 Old 09-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathMac View Post
I only caught the news promo but isn't the National Board of Medical Examiners appealing?

Not that it bothers me, but if she still hasn't sat for the exam doesn't this give her extra time to study?

~Cath
No. You can take the test on certain dates multiple times during the year. They aren't changing the test date for her. The board said she'll get the extra time ordered by the judge provided the decision hasn't been overturned on appeal by the test date. So no, she doesn't get any special extra time to study.
#428 of 431 Old 09-27-2007, 01:40 PM
~pi

I love that he spelled this out, and I love that newspapers are quoting it:

Quote:
Judge Gary Katzmann said yesterday that she needed the extra time so she could be on “equal footing” with men and nonlactating women taking the test.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#429 of 431 Old 09-28-2007, 04:01 AM

awesome!

and i, too, enjoyed that the appeals court judge stated specifically about "equal footing".

thank you, dr. currier, for standing up for yourself and this issue.
#430 of 431 Old 09-28-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I hope that you are right and that my fear that it will just cause more people to think breastfeeding women are unreasonable zealots and dismiss the cause out of hand is unfounded and misplaced.
The board is appealing, and another decision should be issued early next week before she is scheduled to take the test. At this point, my gut reaction is enough already.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#431 of 431 Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I've heard all these arguments for things like paid parental leave too. Now it is ubiquitous where I live.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page