Post here if you have NEVER had a bad experience NIP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been NIP for over 4 straight years and I have never had a bad experience. No rude stares, comments, nothing. And it is not just the area I live in, because I have nursed all over the country, on airplanes, in restaurants, in other countries, etc. Am I just lucky? I even nursed my 3 year old on an airplane and the worst thing that happened was the flight attendant told me to watch his legs when the cart was passing by. Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see other's experiences.

Blessed mama of four
::
#2 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 02:33 PM

All positive here! I've NIP'd in several restaurants, on an airplane, at the gate, even on a Duck in Seattle. Never covered up, never had so much as a disapproving look. But, it's only been 4.5 months.
#3 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Never a bad experience here, either. Most people don't seem to care, or even notice.
#4 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 02:36 PM

Never. And I have been nursing for 4 years straight in November. Woo Hoo!

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

#5 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
DS is 18 months and I never have. Til he got too big he nursed nestled in the sling, until about 10 months. Now I cover as much as I can with my shirt out of modesty. Most people don't notice. When they do the uncofortable ones politely excuse themselves or start looking away while talking to me. Nobody's complained.
#6 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 02:48 PM

I nursed my son for four years, and we were still frequently nursing in public until close to age 3. I was never harassed or treated badly by anyone. Most of our nursing was done in the Midwest or the southeastern US.

I could say SO much more about this ... like NIP in the floor sample leather recliner in a Sam's Club warehouse every week with customers just walking by and smiling at us ... or nursing a boo-boo away at the playground, and a younger child asking what my DS was doing, and being perfectly satisfied with a simple and truthful answer ...

We had many, many positive NIP experiences, and I just want that for everyone. I felt so validated in my mothering through breastfeeding when a stranger just smiled in recognition and approval, or when an acquaintance just carried on conversing with me while I nursed my son. This is such a key part of making breastfeeding a normal and valued part of our society.
#7 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 02:50 PM

Never here either. And I still nurse my 3 yr old in public at least once a week.

-Angela
#8 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 03:14 PM

No bad experiences for us either. I nursed dd until she was 2.5, and I am currently nursing ds in public all the time. I have only had people say positive things .

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#9 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 PM

No, I never did, not with either kid. Not a rude comment or even a rude stare that I was aware of.
#10 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 03:23 PM

nope. But I worked full-time, so I probably wasn't out and about nursing as much as some people.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#11 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 03:33 PM

Nope, never. I've nursed 3 children over the last 6 years, lived on the west coast, the midwest and spent time in New England and Georgia with nursing babies/toddlers. I've never had a problem with NIP.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#12 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 03:34 PM

Never had a bad experience. I nursed for a total of 5 years, 1 year tandem nursing. Never a look, a comment, nothing. I had one elderly couple thank me for "giving them hope for the future" when I was tandem nursing my 1 and 4 year old at an amusement park.
#13 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 03:35 PM

Nobody as ever said anything to me, most people dont notice IMO
#14 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 03:35 PM

None here. 3+ years of BF w/ max age around 18 mos and not so much as a raised eyebrow. I keep waiting with all my great comebacks that I learned here.
#15 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 03:39 PM

I never had anthing negative in the 5y 3m I nursed both my kids. But I rarly go anywere so I only had to nurse a handful of times in all those years.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#16 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 03:47 PM

I've had my MIL get weird about my NIP, but since she is family I can't really call her 'the public.' No actual problems in public ever.

Mostly sane mother to twins.
#17 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 03:53 PM

I've never had what I'd call a bad experience. I have had a few looks once or twice - but that's it. I'm honestly surprised since the area I live is so conservative and EVERYONE FFs. Maybe people just don't know what I'm doing

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#18 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 03:57 PM

Nope, never over 7 years of nursing. There have been many incidents in my area though.

Laurel

Mama to 3 big boys
#19 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 04:00 PM

I've been nursing on and off (mostly *on*) for going on 6 years now, and have never had a bad experience. I've nursed at malls, resaraunts, parks, airports, airplanes, Disney World - even at a wedding.

DH is actually WAITING for a chance to go off on someone for saying something about me NIP. Sometimes I get the feeling that he's actually disappointed that he hasn't had the chance to educate someone on breastfeeding!
#20 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope. Never. I nursed on the el train, city bus, stores, restaurants, parks, stores, and even in the county jail (as a visitor.. this was years ago, don't ask ).
#21 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 04:03 PM

Never have, however I did get a cop who thought my babywearing was "unsafe" at a mall a month or too back. She never showed her face again though.

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#22 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 04:12 PM

NIP for 20 months

lots of positive expereinces.

Lady at a wedding, when DS was 19 months -- in my lap to nurse (helping slef) down to run, then back -- very wound as it was late......."I am so glad you are still nurseing him, and that you give him such freedom with so few limits to meet his needs. he is such a happy little boy" ( told her i was pregant too and she was even more happy) she was about 50 or so.

on plane when he was 11 month old -- and a squirmy mess -- the man covered his eyes across the alie, i tried to pull the sling up a little -- mainly to hold on to DS better and his wife said "oh don't you cover that baby up, HE can close his eyes or read his book./ he saw us nurse his 12 kids [points to other woman with her] he can handle it, he is the adult, the baby's needs come first." man says -- from behind book -- " you are the mother, take care of you child, i am an adult to care for myself".

theose are the best two -- but i get smiles and so on ...

never anything neg and we've nursed everywhere.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#23 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 05:03 PM

me!!! dd is 2 now and i have yet to have a bad experience!!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#24 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 05:41 PM

Me either!! It was tough at first, I felt very self-conscious, and when I was feeling like that, I FELT like people were looking at me funny. But once I got comfortable with it, I never felt that way again. It's all been positive!
#25 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 05:54 PM

I nursed two kids, sometimes in public, and never had a bad experience.

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but, I knew a woman who was constantly having bad experiences. Her family went on vacation at a resort, and the resort managers asked her to please be more discreet. But the thing was, she really didn't make any attempt to cover herself at all, and would then become very hostile. So I have to admit that it's made me wonder when people say they've had a lot** of bad experiences. (I want to emphasize the "a lot" part here because I think anyone could have some bad experiences.)

I didn't cover myself with a towel or anything like that. But I never took my shirt off!
#26 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 06:06 PM

Me either, but I admit I don't nurse much in public. I have huge breasts which I have to hold for ds (he gets really peeved if I don't) and I'm really uncomfortable doing it in public. Also, he likes to shove my shirt up under my chin.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#27 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 06:19 PM

Admittedly, we don't go out in busy areas much, but we've never had a negative experience NIP. I was a bit concerned when I had to fly alone with ds when he was 8 mo and I didn't know whom we might be sitting next to and what they would say to my ds' antics while nursing. We were lucky - when I told the lady next to me that I'd be nursing my son in a moment, and hoped she didn't mind if he took up some of her space, she flashed her tye-dyed undershirt and said "hey, old hippy here, I think it's great your nursing, take all the room you need!"

happily married sahmommy to almost 3yo son
#28 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All good here... I've actually had people come up and tell me how great they think it is that I'm breastfeeding!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#29 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 06:48 PM

I haven't had a bad experience but I am too nervous to NIP much. I'm slowly getting over it I'm definately too nervous to tandem NIP at all (except in a nursing lounge), although I did tandem nurse in front of a photographer with the full knowledge that the picture might end up on the front page of the paper : It was for a good cause And it didn't end up in the paper.

My boys are very squirmy and hate having my shirt touch their faces and are erratic latchers (get distracted and unlatch ALL the time)

I was called an exhibitionist feminazi for displaying a nursing pic on Myspace, but I don't think that counts.

Thanks for starting this thread... sometimes in the Lactivist forum it gets to feeling like the whole world is against us and the fear can start getting to me, so I'm glad so many women have never encountered problems.
#30 of 178 Old 09-28-2007, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I nursed two kids, sometimes in public, and never had a bad experience.

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but, I knew a woman who was constantly having bad experiences. Her family went on vacation at a resort, and the resort managers asked her to please be more discreet. But the thing was, she really didn't make any attempt to cover herself at all, and would then become very hostile. So I have to admit that it's made me wonder when people say they've had a lot** of bad experiences. (I want to emphasize the "a lot" part here because I think anyone could have some bad experiences.)
I kind of wonder this, too. I have never used a blanket or anything but I feel like I have always nursed as modestly as possible. I also think that because I am comfortable with it, people pick up on that and it makes them more comfortable, too.

Blessed mama of four
::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page