Press Release: YMCA Nurse IN- Nov 17th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-15-2007, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Press Release:

Breastfeeding Rights are not Wrong

Toronto, Ontario, November 14, 2007 -- "Breast is Best." "Anytime, Anywhere...” "It's your Right." "Breast is Best." "Anytime. Anywhere. " "It's your Right." The Ontario Human Rights Commission, the City of Toronto and Health Canada have been promoting these messages for years. Still somehow, not everyone has heard. Not even a national family-oriented organization like the YMCA.

On September 1st 2007, Pickering mother and midwife, Carolynn Prior, sat in the waiting area near the Scarborough YMCA swimming pool watching her two older children’s swimming lesson. When it was time for her 5-month-old baby to eat, she breastfed him....until a lifeguard approached her, and suggested that she move to another area because "This is a family place and it [breastfeeding] might offend someone"

Carolynn refused to leave. She knew she had a right to breastfeed there and rightly so because The Ontario Human Rights Commission states that:

You have rights as a nursing mother. For example, you have the right to breastfeed a child in a public area. No one should prevent you from nursing your child simply because you are in a public area. They should not ask you to “cover up”, disturb you, or ask you to move to another area that is more “discreet”.

The Ontario Human Rights Commission has filed a complaint with the YMCA on Carolynn's behalf. However, according to the response from the YMCA, they don't believe that they have done anything wrong: “The respondents deny that the complainant has been subjected to discrimination contrary to the Ontario Human Rights Code.”

So our response as breastfeeding mothers is:

A Nurse-In:

Come to the YMCA in Scarborough, or organize a group to attend a nurse-in at your local YMCA where they are holding a Nurse-In and demand that they create and support a global breastfeeding ‘Anytime. Anywhere.’ policy for ALL YMCAs.

When: Saturday, November 17th 2007, at 12:00 Noon.
What: A Nurse-In (Not nursing? Bring a doll and just be there!)
Who: Everyone who values the right of every baby to eat- "Anytime. Anywhere."
Where: At the Scarborough YMCA, or your own local YMCA

For The Whole Story and all the details, and links to various articles and interviews about Carolynn's adventures, please feel free to visit Carolynn's Blog at: http://mothernurture.wordpress.com/2007/11/

If you have any questions, or are looking for further information about organizing a Nurse-In in your own area, please contact:

Carolynn Prior
email : breastfeeding@pvf.ca
www.mothernurture.wordpress.com
email : breastfeeding@pvf.ca

Danielle Arnold
Chief Charity Fundraiser, Mom2Mom Toronto
tel : 647-341-4184
email : dani@mom2momtoronto.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 11-15-2007, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#3 of 18 Old 11-15-2007, 11:08 PM

:

I am going to try to nurse at ours if I can manage it timewise because we're taking the Santa Claus parade that day/

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 18 Old 11-15-2007, 11:14 PM

thats crazy!!!!!

I never have been a fan of the YMCA and I would believe it. They outa love my nursing toddler and preschooler on saturday !!!
#5 of 18 Old 11-16-2007, 09:50 AM

Toronto Star article:

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/276871

The Y spokesperson sounds rational and cooperative. This should be a great educational event!
#6 of 18 Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynnMarilynn View Post
Toronto Star article:

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/276871

The Y spokesperson sounds rational and cooperative. This should be a great educational event!
Thanx everyone!! actually the Y people have been dragging their heels about this. Carolynn received a letter from Ms. Davidson at the Y- she replied that, “Our members are welcome to breastfeed at any of our locations on that day or any other day of the year. If you are planning on brining non-YMCA members, please let Mehdi Zobeiry, our General Manager know in advance or that day and we would be happy to provide one day passes.” Carolynn tired to the the Y to help coordinate an "educational" event for saturday- raising breastfeeding awareness.

....but it's funny how the tone changes when your representative is speaking to a major media source, eh?
#7 of 18 Old 11-16-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Prior and representatives from the YMCA will attend a Dec. 6 mediation meeting scheduled by the human rights commission, which resolves about 65 per cent of its complaints through this initial step in the process, according to a commission spokesperson.
So they've agreed to attend the mediation now? That's new.

So is it 12 EST or 12 local time if I plan on heading to the Halifax YMCA? If I can't make it (trying to find transportation and a buddy would be nice : ) please know that I am there in spirit and supporting you every step of the way!

LP
#8 of 18 Old 11-16-2007, 08:58 PM

#9 of 18 Old 11-16-2007, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hey LP and Sheal!!!

anyone wanting to hold a nurse in in their area, should feel free to pick their own time!!! what ever works for you guys- and we'd love to hear from anyone who's organizing their own event too!!!!
#10 of 18 Old 11-17-2007, 02:16 PM

I hope is currently going well. Please post details upon your return!

LP
#11 of 18 Old 11-17-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePeanut View Post
I hope is currently going well. Please post details upon your return!

LP
IT WENT AWESOME! Highlights:

-50+ people showed up to nurse/provide support
-Media coverage on local radio and newsstation
-we were welcomed in and handed out breastfeeding info
-met lots of new people
-kids runnin' around, babies nursin', mamas chatting, papas hanging around, kids holding posters and giving out info
-they even provided REFRESHMENTS!

It was a very positive event! Yay!

Carolynn
#12 of 18 Old 11-18-2007, 06:21 PM

That's aewsome! Seems like *perhaps* they are coming around if they not only welcomed you but provided refreshments too. Any chance they provided decent seating for you too? Did the staff seem to be approving or did they stay out of the way?

Don't suppose the employees who initially harassed you were there and/or appologised for their behaviour?

LP
#13 of 18 Old 11-18-2007, 10:50 PM

I'm glad to hear it went well. I work at the Y and have always found the branches in my area very supportive of my breastfeeding But of course I do believe it would be a good idea for the Y to come up with a national "anytime anywhere' policy. I do nurse at my local Y when my baby is hungry and will continue to do so with no shame!!
#14 of 18 Old 11-18-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePeanut View Post
That's aewsome! Seems like *perhaps* they are coming around if they not only welcomed you but provided refreshments too. Any chance they provided decent seating for you too? Did the staff seem to be approving or did they stay out of the way?

Don't suppose the employees who initially harassed you were there and/or appologised for their behaviour?

LP
Yes there were chairs! It wasn't a collegial kinda thing, there was no mixing. I didn't receive an apology and the staff involved were not there. They basically gave us our space and there was just a bit of tension, but not really negative energy or anything. One of the participants made a donation back to the Y to cover the refreshments, so it was a bit symbiotic, which is good!

C
#15 of 18 Old 11-20-2007, 03:37 AM
~pi

Yay! I'm so glad it went well and the Y was somewhat responsive to your request.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#16 of 18 Old 11-21-2007, 12:40 AM

Glad to hear it went so well, Carolynn and Dani!!

Ours in Kingston was a no-go unfortunately, but I do plan on approaching the Y and asking what their breastfeeding policy is once this semester is over.

Mom to two amazing boys, C (July 2005) and D (May 2010)

Founder/leader of a Babywearing group, and loving it!

#17 of 18 Old 11-22-2007, 01:10 PM

Sounds like it was an overall positive experience. Good on ya'! You ladies are fighting the good fight!

OT - lifescholar... "Caydensmommy" is that you?

LP
#18 of 18 Old 11-22-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynnMarilynn View Post
IT WENT AWESOME! Highlights:

-50+ people showed up to nurse/provide support
-Media coverage on local radio and newsstation
-we were welcomed in and handed out breastfeeding info
-met lots of new people
-kids runnin' around, babies nursin', mamas chatting, papas hanging around, kids holding posters and giving out info
-they even provided REFRESHMENTS!

It was a very positive event! Yay!

Carolynn
AWESOME... I was nursing in public around the same time as the event and later at the Santa Parade in Brampton!! No one even made a peep about it either!! So in spirit I nursed with all of you.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page