How to become a certified lactation consultant?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-01-2008, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not certain if this is the right spot for this or not, but....

I am interested in the certified lactation consultant's field, does anyone know how to go about becoming a certified lactation consultant?? Any insight would be much appreciated...

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 01-01-2008, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I lost everything on my computer...but trying doing a search for ehealth learning....I will try to see if I can find it.
Here it is:

www.health-e-learning.com
#3 of 16 Old 01-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Do you want to become a certified lactation counselor, or international board certified lactation consultant? Its different pathwats depending on what you want to do.
#4 of 16 Old 01-01-2008, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

I want to become an IBCLC. Thank you so much for responding!! Given your siggie, it's right up your alley. I don't have a nursing degree, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breastfeeding Insomniac View Post
Do you want to become a certified lactation counselor, or international board certified lactation consultant? Its different pathwats depending on what you want to do.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#5 of 16 Old 01-01-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bens_mommy_2005 View Post
I want to become an IBCLC. Thank you so much for responding!! Given your siggie, it's right up your alley. I don't have a nursing degree, though.
You don't need a nursing degree. This site will give you info on how to go about it:http://iblce.org/pathways.htm
#6 of 16 Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 PM

I am interested in becoming an IBCLC as well but I have to admit it seems daunting. What are the employment prospects as a cert. lactation counselor?
#7 of 16 Old 01-03-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo View Post
I am interested in becoming an IBCLC as well but I have to admit it seems daunting. What are the employment prospects as a cert. lactation counselor?
Ditto this. Subbing to follow along...

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#8 of 16 Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breastfeeding Insomniac View Post
You don't need a nursing degree. This site will give you info on how to go about it:http://iblce.org/pathways.htm

Thank you for this link. It looks great, but I'm a little confused. It sounds to me like I need to have a degree of some sort...here's my story in brief. I'm a college student still, but I have to put my degree on hold as we've moved out of commutable-distance from my college. I have about 100 out of a required 124 credits towards a Bachelor's in psychology degree. I attend a La Leche group and have entertained the thought of becoming a leader (to the extent of even getting the required reading list and beginning to plow through it). I've bf'ed both of my kids, while the oldest had to be hospitalized due to newborn feeding problems. That was my first brush with a LC and I fell in love. Does it sound like I will be able to become a LC even w/o a degree??

#9 of 16 Old 01-03-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo View Post
I am not sure who employs CLC's. I know WIC has a fantastic peer leader program, but you don't need a clc for it. Maybe we have a clc here who can share?
#10 of 16 Old 01-03-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bens_mommy_2005 View Post
Thank you for this link. It looks great, but I'm a little confused. It sounds to me like I need to have a degree of some sort...here's my story in brief. I'm a college student still, but I have to put my degree on hold as we've moved out of commutable-distance from my college. I have about 100 out of a required 124 credits towards a Bachelor's in psychology degree. I attend a La Leche group and have entertained the thought of becoming a leader (to the extent of even getting the required reading list and beginning to plow through it). I've bf'ed both of my kids, while the oldest had to be hospitalized due to newborn feeding problems. That was my first brush with a LC and I fell in love. Does it sound like I will be able to become a LC even w/o a degree??
If its possible, finish your degree bc it will reduce the amount of BC hours significantly.
#11 of 16 Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can take a correspondence course here: http://www.bsccenter.org/
#12 of 16 Old 01-04-2008, 07:57 PM

Subbing to this thread

I'm on a similar path-- very part-time college student (Inter-disciplinary BA "Mothering Studies"-- mish-mash of anthropology courses I took in my pre-momma life and Women's Studies, Community Health and Child Development) without a nursing background but with IBCLC aspirations. Nursing #2 and #3, as #1 weaned during pregnancy w/ #2.

If you don't end up persuing LLL-leadership, and your local WIC doesn't have a peer-counseling program, you can accrue hours as an Certified Lactation Counselor/ Educator. University of California at San Diego has a online course-- I just finished it and found it to be quite manageable and enlightening. Check it out here http://www.extension.ucsd.edu/studya...rse=RMED-4V014-- PM me for more info if you'd like

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#13 of 16 Old 01-10-2008, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the links!
#14 of 16 Old 01-10-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmommy View Post
Subbing to this thread

I'm on a similar path-- very part-time college student (Inter-disciplinary BA "Mothering Studies"-- mish-mash of anthropology courses I took in my pre-momma life and Women's Studies, Community Health and Child Development) without a nursing background but with IBCLC aspirations. Nursing #2 and #3, as #1 weaned during pregnancy w/ #2.

If you don't end up persuing LLL-leadership, and your local WIC doesn't have a peer-counseling program, you can accrue hours as an Certified Lactation Counselor/ Educator. University of California at San Diego has a online course-- I just finished it and found it to be quite manageable and enlightening. Check it out here http://www.extension.ucsd.edu/studya...rse=RMED-4V014-- PM me for more info if you'd like
Has anyone done this? What can you do after you take this course? It seems to easy, like a scam for the money.
#15 of 16 Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilajolene View Post
Has anyone done this? What can you do after you take this course? It seems to easy, like a scam for the money.
I would never imagine a course through UCSD is a scam. It is a very good school. The program is one of the few that is under the eduaction standards for ILCA.

ILEAC Accredited Courses:

These providers comply with ILCA's Education Standards and have the further distinction of providing a lactation course accredited by the International Lactation Education Accreditation Council (ILEAC) following a rigorous review and approval process.

http://www.ilca.org/dirofcourseproviders.html

Topics include basic anatomy and physiology of lactation, early attachment of the baby, hospital care, support during the postpartum stage, common concerns and solutions, and appliances and apparatuses used in breastfeeding. This 40 hour program meets the prerequisite requirement for the ILCA accredited Lactation Consultant training program

The course is to help you prepare for the IBCLC exam. You still need the practical hours.
#16 of 16 Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitBaby View Post
I would never imagine a course through UCSD is a scam. It is a very good school. The program is one of the few that is under the eduaction standards for ILCA.
ITA...I also know someone who took the class there at the UCSD and her wealth of knowledge is amazing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page