Brooke Shields-who BF & slings baby, signed formula-sponsor contract-letter writing!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is an e-mail post from a breastfeeding advocate in Canada:

"This is being discussed on Lactnet. Apparently Brooke Shields, who is breastfeeding her first child, and has been photographed carrying her in a sling, has also signed a formula promotion contract.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/busines...BFBJUHYJD.html

Baby talk
Actress Brooke Shields has been named celebrity spokeswoman for a new line of infant formula made by PBM Products of Gordonsville.

Shields, who gave birth to her first child in May, will help introduce the Bright Beginnings formula, which features enhanced nutrients.

PBM hired Slay Public Relations, part of The Martin Agency, to handle media relations and The Martin Agency to do advertising.

PBM markets and distributes store-brand formulas that compete with name-brand products such as Enfamil and Similac.

Contact Gregory J. Gilligan at (804) 649-6379 or [email protected]

TAKE ACTION:
Dr. Jay Gordon - a regular on Lactnet, and huge supporter of breastfeeding and attachment parenting (see http://www.drjaygordon.com) is also the pediatrician to many celebrities and stars in Hollywood.

He has offered to put together letters and make sure they are given directly to Brooke Shields. He suggested that sometimes celebrities' publicists make contracts that the person does not realize the full implications of. He suggested that if many of us (moms, Brooke's fans and lacation professionals) were to write and educate her about how her about the negatives of formula and formula marketing, and how her relationship with formula co's will damage her image, then perhaps she could/would try to get out of her contract.

Send your letters to Brooke to
Email:

[email protected]

and he will gather them together and get them to her.

Janice Reynolds

(I wonder if this ad campaign featuring Brooke is being launched to counter the Gov't campaign for breastfeeding that is being launched this fall)."

LETS ALL HELP LADIES-SEND A SHORT/LONG NOTE TO BROOKE AND LET HER KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is she really so hurting for more fame and more money that she has to promote formula?: What can she possibly be getting out of this that she doesn't already have?
#3 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 10:18 PM

Hi thanks for the info1 i responded with a letter to Brooke. i didnt mention that ive been a fan to her. just stated the facts and begged her to stop the contract and gave her ideas to help endorse bfing. maybe she'll listen. who knows. i really dont think she would be doing this if she didnt need the $ somehow. i told her: " how about 'Brooks' Boppy pillow" ? or a line of nursing clothes.
Lauraa

ps i wonder how long she nursed?:
#4 of 16 Old 09-10-2003, 06:40 PM

I was just about to post this!!!

I'll have to sit down and write a letter.

She needs to read "Milk, Money & Madness."

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#5 of 16 Old 09-12-2003, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wow, thats wierd, cuz I just read the recent People mag and she mentions at least 4 times that she bfs and how she cant be away from her and such. SHe is bfing so why would she promote formula???

but, by the way, have you guys seen the pics of her baby?? omg, her little girl is absolutely gorgeous. I bought teh mag in the grocery store cuz her bright, blue eyes just mesmerized me. And yah, Brooke looks great too.

Off to write my letter

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#6 of 16 Old 09-12-2003, 11:14 AM

Heather, I read the same article. I agree... her DD's eyes were mezmerizing!!! So beautiful!

Anyway, I also was scratching my head. Perhaps she supplements with F during the day? Or will wean to F soon?

Without a BFing support group (like LLL) a lot of moms wean early (they think they "have to")... so who knows.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#7 of 16 Old 09-12-2003, 01:17 PM

I have heard that she signed the contract while she was pregnant.
#8 of 16 Old 09-12-2003, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 3girls1boy
Oh boy...

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#9 of 16 Old 09-12-2003, 02:08 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, that is more forgivable than if she had signed it after her baby was born. It could indicate a change of "heart"/mind in how she was going to nourish her child.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#10 of 16 Old 09-12-2003, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sadean
In my opinion, that is more forgivable than if she had signed it after her baby was born. It could indicate a change of "heart"/mind in how she was going to nourish her child.
I agree with you. I hope my doesn't look judgemental of her. I just meant it's something you should not do (sign contracts) until you are there (in the midst of motherhood)... but she did not know how things change (feelings) so much after your baby is born.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#11 of 16 Old 09-13-2003, 12:15 AM

Wow, if it is true that she didnt really know what she was doing when signing it before the baby and bfing than i am moved to feel sorry for her. it must be difficult to have to sign contracts, especially if you believe that s the only way to make your $ and/or your fame.
Laura
#12 of 16 Old 09-18-2003, 11:46 AM

sorry, double post

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#13 of 16 Old 09-18-2003, 11:50 AM

Apparently they tried to get Kelly Ripa and Sarah Jessica Parker too!

There is an article called "Shields to Pitch Infant Formula"
Mon Jul 7, 2003
originally in Adweek magazine and it appears on adweek.com.
You must register to read it. To respect MDC copywright rules I will just post some quotes.

New mom Brooke Shields...who started her endorsement career at 11 months as the Ivory Snow baby, has signed on as spokesperson for Bright Beginnings, a new line of baby formula from PBM Products.

...also considered celebrity moms such as Sarah Jessica Parker and Kelly Ripa, but chose Shields, 38, because she has an "image that is thoughtful and intelligent" and appeals to younger as well as older moms, who "have grown up with Brooke,"

Yeah RIGHT! How stupid do they think we are? Or maybe, just maybe, Ripa and Parker had the class and the morals to say NO to the formula company $.

Sources placed the one-year deal in the low to mid-seven figures......based on its "success in building brands using iconic figures," said Zakin, citing its use of Michael Jordan (news) for Hanes....

That is so ironic, since Michael Jordan was breastfed, supposedly for three years. (Although he sells Hanes undies, not formula.)

National TV and print ads will position Bright Beginnings, which has nutrients found to help mental and visual development, as a lower-priced alternative to enriched versions of Similac and Enfamil.....Last year, Similac and Enfamil spent about $7 million and $3 million on media.

Other threads here at MDC are discussing the issue that nobody but the manufacturers have done studies showing the benefits of these new artificial fats, and in fact there are health problems such as severe diarrhea in many babies who drink them.
You can read more if you follow the links:
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=86562

But $$$$$$$$$money$$$$$$$$$ talks!

I do so hope she enjoys her "seven figure" salary from this deal.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#14 of 16 Old 09-18-2003, 04:46 PM

Have more letters been sent?

Admittedly, this is the first time I've sent a letter after reading something at MDC. Brooke Sheilds could be such an incredible asset to breastfeeding mothers. Please write a letter, mamas. Support Brooke's nursing relationship and ask her to do the same for you.
#15 of 16 Old 09-19-2003, 09:52 PM

Well put, Chellemarie.

I spoke too soon in my praise of Sarah Jessica Parker. She hawks a product that I was not aware was a Nestle item, (Garnier hair dye.) Oh well.

http://www.albertco.com/news/parker.html

#16 of 16 Old 12-27-2003, 01:30 PM

bump

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page