How much does breastmilk cost? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2003, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you had to buy bm from a milk bank, how much would it cost? My freezer died, and the service plan I bought with it covers food spoilage. I'm supposed to compile a list of everything that went bad and the approximate price. I realize that ebm is, to some extent, basically free since I have an unending supply of my own, but I'm irritated that I've had to waste all this time getting the freezer fixed, buying all new food, and throwing away the fruits of my once-a-month cooking. I figure I'll probably "charge" them about 1/4 to 1/2 of what it would cost if I were to buy it. At the very least, it should cost them how ever much my time is worth for me to pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2003, 04:34 PM

I KNOW I've seen the figure somewhere of $4/oz...but I can't remember where. Can you call a milk bank and see what they charge? Sorry about your freezer mishap
Old 09-15-2003, 05:45 PM

I also, remember seeing somewhere where it was @ $4.00 an ounce.

Here is a link to Milk Banks

Here is a link with $2.50 -$3.00. It's so interesting b/c it's about someone who lost their stash in their freezer and want to claim it on their insurance!

Quote:
I believe the cost of human milk is approximately $2.50 to $3 an ounce.
Article that says:

Quote:
While wide variations in the consumer cost of formula make ounce-per-ounce cost comparisons tricky, donor milk, which costs consumers about $3 an ounce, is generally less expensive than highly specialized preemie formulas but considerably pricier than standard formulas.
I'd call a couple of the milk banks and get an estimate, and possibly have them fax the info to the insurance...that way they have a couple to go by.

HTH
Old 09-15-2003, 05:47 PM

i've seen anywhere from 3 - 7 dollars an ounce...

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Old 09-18-2003, 11:53 AM

Wow! That's all? I really thought it would cost more to buy. I know how much work pumping is. Good luck replinishing your supply.

User Tag List