Mothering Forum banner

Does extended breastfeeding and CLWing reduce the risk of breast cancer?

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  clovergirl 
#1 ·
I thought that I read that in a book some time back, but I haven't come up upon that connection since then...I was just wondering if I imagined that...

#3 ·
Ok, so my next question is this:

Do the people who promote breast cancer awareness and who created the pink ribbon list extending breastfeeding as one way to reduce the risk? Just wondering. I'm not very familiar with the organization, but I don't think I've ever seen in any of the pamphlets that "extended" breastfeeding reduces the risk.......

#5 ·
I've often wondered if the benefits are lessened in those of us who get AF back quickly? Because basically bfing lowers your estrogen levels which is also what prevents you from getting AF. But I and many others get AF back right away, within the first few months of bfing even when bfing around the clock...it makes me wonder if it doesn't lower my estrogen levels enough to provide any real amount of protection against pre-menopausal breast cancer. Anyone know?

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by miche28 View Post
The lack of connection between the breast cancer folks and advocacy for breastfeeding has always confounded me. So few people know this
It would probably make women who don't nurse feel bad.

#8 ·
Cancer Research UK have it listed on their preventing breast cancer page:

Quote:
The factors that seem to reduce risk are

Having your first child at a young age (under 30)
Breastfeeding
Taking more exercise
Eating more fruit and vegetables
Keeping your weight within a healthy range for your height
Not drinking too much alcohol
But then they go on to say:

Quote:
Most of us make choices about having a baby and how to feed it for different reasons than avoiding cancer. So the more useful advice concerns lifestyle.

My mum is a nurse and in one of her nursing magazines she gets it said that 2/3 of women in the Uk did not know that breastfeeding reduced their risk of breast cancer! I actually thought that was a well know fact. It also had something ridiculous like 2/3 of women thought that formula was just as good as breastmilk.

Could it be something to do with money also? Formula manufacturers not wanting to lose out on sales? They're probably giving the breast cancer research charities a back hander to keep quiet.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KathleenRay View Post
It would probably make women who don't nurse feel bad.
I don't get that, though. I mean, if it's going to help people to avoid breast cancer, isn't it worth, er.....miffing some people just to get the information out there in the open so people will be able to make an informed decision about breastfeeding, and also be clearly informed on ways they can lower their risks of breast cancer? I could never understand that line of reasoning. To me that's a very selfish and very bizarre reason to not spread the word that could help some people.

As for why they don't list bfing as a way to help reduce the risk, I have my theories, but I could be way off, and they are very controversial so I won't go into them here. I just wondered if they mentioned the connection between long term bf'ing and lower risk of breast cancer at all; I was hoping they do, but if they don't, my theory is on the way to being confirmed....

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
I've often wondered if the benefits are lessened in those of us who get AF back quickly? Because basically bfing lowers your estrogen levels which is also what prevents you from getting AF. But I and many others get AF back right away, within the first few months of bfing even when bfing around the clock...it makes me wonder if it doesn't lower my estrogen levels enough to provide any real amount of protection against pre-menopausal breast cancer. Anyone know?
I have wondered this too, as I got AF back almost immediately after my last birth
despite cosleeping, nursing nonstop, and not using pacifiers. My only hope is that the periods were anovulatory (the lining builds and sheds but there is no ovulation), so that the hormone levels were lower.

Quote:
The lack of connection between the breast cancer folks and advocacy for breastfeeding has always confounded me. So few people know this - and it's a significant reduction.
The pink ribbon campaign is a scam IMO until they start actively promoting breastfeeding and preventative dietary measures. Prostate and breast cancer are both linked to animal food consumption, especially dairy. Most people don't know that either.

#11 ·
I've only seen it mentioned once.

Last October, one woman was talking about how diet can increase the risk of breast cancer, but then said they don't want to talk about it too much because they don't want to make people feel guilty.

Well, first of all, isn't preventing future cancers more important? And second, why would a woman feel guilty if she didn't know her diet could increase the risk of cancer?

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Prostate and breast cancer are both linked to animal food consumption, especially dairy.
ALL animal foods and dairy? Or just ones with added hormones and antibiotics and fed ginormous amounts of soy & corn? IMO, some (moderate or whatever that means - basically not everyday/with every meal) consumption of "organic" (not necessarily strictly certified, but no abx, no hormones, no soy meal, etc) meats & dairy is to be encouraged, actually (as long as you're not intolerant/allergic, of course).

Also, ITA with the questioning of why would it make some one feel guilty if they didn't know what they were doing was risky?

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gabysmom617 View Post
Do the people who promote breast cancer awareness and who created the pink ribbon list extending breastfeeding as one way to reduce the risk? Just wondering. I'm not very familiar with the organization, but I don't think I've ever seen in any of the pamphlets that "extended" breastfeeding reduces the risk.......
I saw a dr. on the today show one time talking about breast cancer. Anne Curry asked her if breastfeeding would reduce risk the of breast cancer.

She frowned and said something to the effect that the 3 months or so that most women breastfeed won't do anything. I took it to mean longer breastfeeding would.

#14 ·
I have to say that I'm amazed that women, or at least women that are pregnant or already have children, don't know that bfing reduces risk. I knew NOTHING about bfing when I got prego with my first. In all honesty I didn't even know people still bf...I thought it was just something tribal people in Africa did
(yeah I was a wee bit naive) but then during my very mainstream pregnancy I was given an avalanche of information on breast feeding through magazines and books like What to Expect and all of them talked about it reducing my risk of cancer.

As for anovulatory cycles I know mine aren't
I chart and I have the definite temperature rise to confirm I am ovulating.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by menomena View Post
ALL animal foods and dairy? Or just ones with added hormones and antibiotics and fed ginormous amounts of soy & corn? IMO, some (moderate or whatever that means - basically not everyday/with every meal) consumption of "organic" (not necessarily strictly certified, but no abx, no hormones, no soy meal, etc) meats & dairy is to be encouraged, actually (as long as you're not intolerant/allergic, of course).
Milk and dairy, whether organic, non-organic, pasteurized, or unpasteurized, is a food designed for babies, which means it encourages accelerated growth. This is a great thing when you're a baby, but a very dangerous thing when you're an adult, and even more so when a person is entering puberty. There is a proportional correlation (the more you consume, the higher your risk, and vice versa-- the less you consume, the lower your risk) between dairy consumption and breast and prostate cancers, especially when it is consumed during puberty.

Meat (whether organic or not) is also an accelerated growth food due to its high protein content, which is good when you're a child, but not when you're an adult.

Rapid cell growth = cancer risk.

#16 ·
I have a piggy-back question that I think I similar enough to this topic to include in this thread:

I'm 99% sure that I read somewhere that there is at least an indication that extended breastfeeding even reduces the breast cancer risk of a female child who is breastfed? Anyone else read that? I've been looking for it and can't find it now. (It would be funny if it were Mothering Mag, though. But I'm pretty sure I checked thoroughly!)

Not meaning to hijack. If I am, just ignore me!

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Milk and dairy, whether organic, non-organic, pasteurized, or unpasteurized, is a food designed for babies, which means it encourages accelerated growth. This is a great thing when you're a baby, but a very dangerous thing when you're an adult, and even more so when a person is entering puberty. There is a proportional correlation (the more you consume, the higher your risk, and vice versa-- the less you consume, the lower your risk) between dairy consumption and breast and prostate cancers, especially when it is consumed during puberty.

Meat (whether organic or not) is also an accelerated growth food due to its high protein content, which is good when you're a child, but not when you're an adult.

Rapid cell growth = cancer risk.
I'm not trying to be sassy here, but can you cite sources on this?

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramama View Post
I have a piggy-back question that I think I similar enough to this topic to include in this thread:

I'm 99% sure that I read somewhere that there is at least an indication that extended breastfeeding even reduces the breast cancer risk of a female child who is breastfed? Anyone else read that? I've been looking for it and can't find it now. (It would be funny if it were Mothering Mag, though. But I'm pretty sure I checked thoroughly!)

I have seen that stat as well. I can't recall where, either, though!

I plan on advertising BFing's amazing reduction in BC (I wish there was a better way to say it the opposite way: "Choosing to FF raises your risk by one third" or whatever the exact stat is-- because of course it's a bigger number than how much BFing decreases your risk, and of course Bfing is the norm, etc etc) this year at all the BC events. During a BC walk, wearing a baby in a mei tai with a panel tacked on with this info might be good...

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramama View Post

i have read this somewhere too. that not only does nursing lesson a mother's chance of breast cancer, but also lessons female children's chances too. made me feel pretty good being that i was nursed almost 4yrs and have almost 5&1/2yrs of lactating under my belt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.